(13)

Freedom

13

“Okay, so here I am.”

Joohyun says behind the wheel with seat belt being strapped tightly to her upper body and knees that nearly touching the dashboard. “Here we go.”

“You’ve been chanting it out for the past five minutes and yet, here we’re going nowhere.”

The older woman casts a glare right after she states the fact and Seulgi raises her hands to defend herself. “Hey, I’m merely stating.”

“I need my utmost concentration after I’ve discovered that your car is a manual one.” Joohyun is still blatantly glaring. “Don’t pressure me.”

“I think I can drive on my own.” Seulgi gives an unsure look and begins to adjust her seat to its original position. “You don’t have to go into trouble for driving me though, just put your destination in the GPS and we’re set to go.”

“No. Just stay in your place.” Joohyun warns and her grip around the steer tightens. “I can drive, you know.”

“I’m not saying that you can’t, but I still think that it’s better for me to do the bidding,” Seulgi has already loosened the belt on her and decides to jump into a quick bargain. “Look, I’m not one for backing off without any reason, okay? But I really, really think that you shouldn’t have done this for fun.”

Joohyun has her eyes set on her and Seulgi tries to find a better word before she finally sighs to herself. She nearly falters when their eyes meet for a moment and it is not a good sign. She really is bad at lying and so she opts to tell the truth. “I’ve already seen the footage of how you managed to bump your car on mine at your workplace. To say that I was slightly surprised, well indeed, I am. I-“

“That’s only solidifying my will to drive.” Joohyun chides with a new determination. “I’ve to prove you that I can drive.”

Seulgi’s face turns paler almost immediately. She restlessly runs her hair against her brown locks and looks around before trying to throw her last card. She has to save her own car from the possibility of getting any reparation yet again. “Here, a little fact to make you change your mind. That damaged car is actually my cousin’s. It’s not even mine.”

She watches as Joohyun’s expression takes an acrobatic turn to have her face drained out of color almost in a second.

Seulgi winces a bit. “And this car had enough.”

“W-what? You’re not kidding me, right?”

“I’m all serious.” She firmly declares while patting the dashboard. “But rest assured, like I said before, I’ve settled everything. My cousin doesn’t have any idea about his baby car being tainted by you or anyone. Even until now, what he only knew was the fact that I did borrow it for the time being until my own car had been fixed, that’s it.”

“Really?”

Seulgi confirms with a vibrant nod. “Moreover, the mechanics did a great job of fixing my cousin’s car in such a short time. His car is now probably parked in his basement for all I know.”

“Why didn’t you tell him?” Joohyun asks as she finally grasps herself after hearing those shocking revelations. “It’s not like I’m not being grateful at all. In fact, I’m seriously grateful for your generosity, but it’s really too much.”

She observes her companion who is nonchalantly looking back in return. “You didn’t have to do all that. I believe I can deal with my own though.”

“It was a long story,” Seulgi concludes with a small smile. “But I still think it was better that way though so yeah, you’re welcome.”

X

“You’re indeed really rich.”

Seulgi whirls her head to see Joohyun admiring around the features of her vehicle and laughs heartily as she fastens their ride. “You’ve been in this car for three times or so already. What is it with the sudden exclamation? Finally after my money now?”

Joohyun merely scoffs at her remark as she leans in her seat. “Arrogant.”

“Arrogantly beautiful you mean?” The younger woman quips leisurely from her place, lips levitating in a playful manner. “I’ve been told a lot, but thanks anyway.”

“Why are you suddenly being like this?” Joohyun comments while turning her body around. Her eyebrows rise higher in her direction when Seulgi only offers a smirk in return. “You’re like three times more annoying than your usual self.”

The younger woman casually shrugs and rests her gaze on the road quietly. “I’m just being myself.”

“I’m wondering whether it’s your real personality. I mean your laid-back and playful side.”

“Why don’t you find out?”

Joohyun’s brows might as well reach the top of her hair now though her companion doesn’t even spare any glance at her. “You’re strange.”

“Well, one step at a time then.” Seulgi chuckles lightly, her eyes are twinkling as she throws a quick look at Joohyun before settling her focus on the road again. “Anyway, I’m still curious over your sudden exclamation about me being rich. Why though?”

“Oh, it’s just that. After seeing you on a daily basis and how laid back you are in your free time like this, I still couldn’t grasp the fact that you actually belong to the upper class.” Joohyun mutters, watching Seulgi frown as the latter pays her full attention to the road. “I don’t mean it in the wrong way okay?”

“Elaborate please.”

“Just look at the way you dress and act.” She gestures and Seulgi can feel Joohyun’s eyes settle on her ripped jeans and the baggy sweater she has worn with a pride.

“What is it with my chosen wardrobe? They’re comfortable as heck.” The brunette rebukes straightaway. “And what about my act? Just so you know, I’ve been raised with such manner. I’ve even had my share of table etiquette and I tell you what? My back was aching the whole session. I couldn’t even enjoy the food that had been served, thank you very much.”

“Really?”

“Yes, so take back your earlier words.” Joohyun doesn’t miss the sulk in her tone and can’t help but grin to herself as she discovers yet again Seulgi’s unlikely personality.

“As you wish, Ms. Kang.”

She closes her eyes while sinking herself into her seat and definitely still having her grin plastered on her lips when Seulgi counters with, “Don’t you ever call me like that again!”

X

“I still couldn’t believe that the place you have in mind was a noraebang.”

Seulgi comments from her seat, her eyes rounding the place with a slight amazement. “What a surprise.”

“All thanks to Wendy, she regularly goes to this place to wind out while dragging me along.” Joohyun remarks as she motions at the dim room around them with a glossy disco ball hanging from the ceiling. “I think she has even had a membership card somehow.”

Seulgi watches as her companion skims through the monitor to select some songs and she cringes inwardly when she peeks over to see her choosing a bubbly song. “What the hell?”

Joohyun shrugs as she picks the forlorn mic to herself. She knocks on it gently and is pleased when the sound openly echoes throughout their rented room almost instantly. She pushes it in Seulgi’s direction after the song’s title appears on the large screen. “Sing.”

“No way.”

“Yes way.”

“What a fancy reply.” Seulgi raises her eyebrow, leaning her head backward when Joohyun shoves the mic even closer to .

“You missed the start!” The black haired woman yelps when the instrument blares cheerfully at the intro and yet Seulgi narrowly responds to that. Joohyun gives her a look while withdrawing her offered mic back to its original place. “You don’t happen to be a tone-deaf, right?”

Seulgi shakes her head in return. “No, I don’t.” 

“Prove it then.”

“At least let me choose on my own, I refuse to sing such a shattering bubbly song.”

“You didn’t say anything though.” The older woman retreats to her seat with a small grin. “Sure, you can choose your own pick.”

Seulgi makes a face before she grabs her own mic that once laying on the table. She launches to choose her favorite song on the monitor and settles for a ballad song that suits her current mood now. She slowly stands up and regains her emotions.

“Please be quiet.”

She jokingly warns when Joohyun has already propped herself on the couch beside her and she closes her eyes in the process after the latter thumbing up in return.

Her emotions are surging up the moment she hears the intro and it channels out when she starts singing the song.

Joohyun stares silently at the transformation and senses an underlying meaning behind every word being emphasized by her. The lyrics are sad and ironically beautiful, she can somewhat relate to the song. It doesn’t help either because Seulgi happens to sing it just as beautiful and it sounds downright emotional from the start until it reaches its , Joohyun feels her own heart wrenching unknowingly.

She still has her eyes planted on Seulgi when the latter opens her vision to smile at her. “I’ve never had my chance to visit a noraebang again. This feels nostalgic, thanks.”

“You have a beautiful voice.” Joohyun’s reply is completely out of context and Seulgi tries to shrug it off coolly. She doesn’t mistake her awestruck look though she chooses not to comment.

“Well, that’s coming from someone who judged me for being a tone-deaf before.” Seulgi laughs as she takes her respective seat and s the mic back in her direction. “Your turn now.”

X

Their ride on the way back is rather quiet. There is no exchange of banter or remark following around for the past thirty minutes and Joohyun starts wondering that Seulgi might lose her voice for real after screaming their lungs out during the vocal competition between them.

“Thanks for the earlier err… what should I call it? Training session or vocal lesson?” Seulgi suddenly speaks, much to her surprise. She tilts her head to the side to see her companion smiling. “Nevertheless, I appreciate it a lot.”

“I thought you lost your voice for a moment right there.”

The younger woman laughs while nodding her head. “I think so too, if we stay longer.” Seulgi coughs sheepishly as they take a turn to the right. Her apartment building is around the corner by the time Joohyun hears Seulgi uttering. “My throat hurts, but I thankfully still have my voice intact.”

She hums in silence though she can’t help but recall their little escapade at the karaoke place with a suppressed smile. The car comes to a stop and neither one of them speaks to break the stillness. Joohyun cues herself that it’s her time to go. “Thanks for today, I’ve got a lot of fun.”

“Joohyun,”

The mentioned woman stops herself from pushing the door open and angles her head a bit to see Seulgi putting a serious face. “Are you free tonight?”

Joohyun blinks and points at herself then at her. “Didn’t we were just hanging out like the entire day already?”

Seulgi inaudibly nods, she suddenly feels guilty when Joohyun stares back at her with a confusion marring her face. “I know it’s a bit too much to ask, but can you do me a favor?”

Her mind can’t stop reminding herself of the party she has yet to attend in the next hours all through the way back. The thought of her father and things she has to deal if she were to ditch this party makes its way to enter her mind. Sure enough, she doesn’t want to witness him again across her apartment door so it’s better to comply with his demand for now. And for that Seulgi plans to bring someone along tonight. 

To be honest, it’s only a split second of idea that comes into her mind in the middle of crazily singing along with Joohyun. And yes, she plans to invite Joohyun to attend the party with her.

Seulgi has never met anyone with such personality that draws her into wanting to know them even more until she finally met Joohyun. In addition, it’s almost intriguing because they happen to get along well despite being totally different from each other. That’s partly why the idea of bringing Joohyun along to the party doesn’t sound too strange to her ear at all.

Through her remaining time, she has prepared everything under control if only Joohyun approves to join her abrupt plan. She perfectly knows that she owes her a big time, but she really doesn’t want to go alone, Joohyun is her only hope.

The older woman tardily pulls the door close again and turns in her seat, hands automatically folding while facing her companion fully now. “Explain.”

“I’m running out of time.” Seulgi breathes quietly as she runs one of her hands against her hair. Her face contorts in silence. “But if you do want to help, please be ready right after this to go somewhere else with me.”

“What?” Joohyun’s brow escalates highly. “Do you expect me to agree to that? You don’t even mention where you plan to go though.”

“Later, I promise to explain it to you later. It’s a mere event, you don’t need to worry.” Seulgi heaves a brief sigh as she tears their ongoing staring battle. She taps her fingers peevishly on the steering wheel. “All you have to do is accompany me through the night.”

Joohyun observes the dithered expression resurfacing on her companion’s face and feels herself torn in between a dilemma. “I feel like it’s an important occasion and I should be worried.”

“Important for other people but me,” Seulgi jibes indifferently and Joohyun notes her used tone with concern. The older woman concedes after taking her time to analyze her companion. “So what do you want me to do now?”

She watches Seulgi’s face gradually brighten in a mere second when the latter turns to look back at her. “You can go back to your place now and dress nicely. Someone will be there to help you as well, so expect some company.” Seulgi spares a quick look at her wristwatch before setting her gaze on her again. “And my friend will come to pick you up by two hours to the agreed place. I’ll be waiting for you there.”

“Are you serious?” Joohyun’s mouth hangs open at the precise order.

The younger woman nods positively. Her mood has already risen by a bit, the thought of being stuck in that party feels somewhat bearable now. “I’m seriously serious.”

“You’ve already planned it all along?”

Seulgi merely stifles a chuckle as she discharges her own seatbelt. She pushes the door open and quickly runs to the other side to open the passenger’s door. Joohyun stares back at her with incredulity clearly forming on her expression when the door barely opens. “This way, Your Majesty.”

She greets and bows in a midair only to get her shoulder being shoved as Joohyun steps outside with an unimpressive look. “Stop playing around.”

The latter is about to make a dash towards the lobby and only halts her movement when Seulgi has the audacity to call her yet again after all the things she has listed for her to do in the last minute.

“Wait!”

She stops taking her first step and turns to look at her. “What is it?”

Seulgi has already seated in the driver seat much to her surprise, resulting Joohyun to bend down a bit just so she can take a glimpse of her beaming from behind the wheel. “See you later, Ms. Bae.”

The window slowly rolls up and Joohyun has realized just now that Seulgi is not the only one with lips curving upward to form a smile. She catches herself smiling back through the reflection on the tinted window and feels the corner of her lips stiffening a bit by her own sight. She straightens up and watches in silence as Seulgi’s car pulls into a driveway almost immediately. Joohyun’s gaze reluctantly follows until she loses its sight and brings herself to pick her original pace again.

“I shouldn’t act like this.” She says before entering the lobby, blending among the crowd of people with a jumbled mind. Joohyun rubs her palms on her face with distress at the upcoming event as she steps in the cubicle to reach her place. “But why do I can’t stop myself from smiling.”

X

“What should I wear?”

Joohyun examines these dresses laid on her bed with greater focus. It’s been twenty minutes, yet she’s not able to make up her mind ever since she starts taking it out from her closet. She has already taken a bath in a record time just like the day when she is woken up late for work and leads her to meet Seulgi in the first place. After a long pause, Joohyun finally picks a white dress that falls on her knee and tries to somewhat see whether it suits the occasion or not while looking at the mirror of her closet.

She hears the bell outside being rung and it snaps her into a reality that she has stood much longer in front of the mirror than she intends to do. She puts down her dress and quickly marches outside to see a tall beautiful woman with raven hair standing behind the door through her intercom. She seems familiar, but she doesn’t recall knowing her though. “Hello? Who is it?”

The stranger bows her head a bit. “I’m Jung Krystal and I work as a stylist. Ms. Kang has appointed me to help you prepare for the gala tonight.”

Joohyun’s eyes widen as she hurriedly opens the door for her unexpected guest. She doesn’t understand what kind of logic running inside Seulgi’s head for even hiring a stylist to come here. The earlier woman who surprisingly clads in a black zip coat that stops at her knee finally makes her way inside her apartment.

With plastic bags in hand and lips forming an amused smile, she meets Joohyun surprised expression when she walks past the threshold. “I assume that she hasn’t notified you regarding my presence?”

“She did as a matter of fact,” Joohyun blinks rapidly. “But she didn’t really tell who it was and I definitely didn’t expect it to be a stylist either.” Her words falter and she quickly regains herself, stretching her palm forward to initiate an introduction between them. “I’m sorry if I sounded so rude before, but thank you for coming here. I’m Bae Joohyun, nice meeting you, Ms. Jung.”

The woman chuckles as she draws her free hand to return her polite gesture. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Ms. Bae. Seulgi has been telling me a lot about you.” She says in a knowing tone and Joohyun can’t help but wonder at the informal address. “Seulgi?”

“She prefers to be addressed by that instead of Ms. Kang.” The woman withdraws her hand with a smile. “How about we go to your room to get it started, Ms. Bae?”

“That’s so Seulgi.” Joohyun immediately agrees as she leads her towards her bedroom after following her companion’s suggestion. “This way.”

“Yeah, that is so her.” Krystal bites back a laugh before she looks up and down at her when they have reached the room. She places down her belongings on the floor almost immediately and turns to look at the owner again after discharging her stuffy coat.

Joohyun stares in disbelief because Krystal’s current appearance after she discharged her coat is beyond words and looking as if she’s just come off the runway. That woman doesn’t look like a mere stylist from her observation though.

“Anyway, I see that you’ve not done much?”

She feels herself being slightly intimidated for some unknown reason and Joohyun tries to clear in order to ease herself. “I was in the middle of choosing a dress, but I couldn’t seem to make up my mind.” She scratches the back of her head awkwardly, motioning at her scattered clothes on the bed. “And sorry my room is a bit messy.”

“It’s alright.” Krystal starts rummaging through one of her plastic bags and swiftly pulls a black dress out of it. She shows it in her direction and Joohyun doesn’t mistake a pleased look forming on her companion’s face. Krystal hands the fabric to her with another big smile. “It seems to wonderfully suit you though.”

“W-what?” She shakily grasps the black off-shoulder dress and marvels in a silent appreciation. From the moment her hand has brushed the dress, she can tell that it costs a lot. She looks back at her laying dresses then at the one under her tips of fingers.

“I think you don’t need to do much about your hair either, it looks great already though some curl would be adding a nice touch.” Joohyun looks up and almost skids backward out of reflex when Krystal shoots her hand forward to briefly touch her hair. “I bring my equipment so we can do just that.”

“And you have a pale skin, I suggest you to go for a natural look.”

The tall woman says again as she nods to herself. She then catches her stiffened expression and inwardly smiles. “You don’t mind me pointing it out for you, right?”

“N-no it’s okay.” Joohyun bites her lower lip, fidgeting with the dress Krystal has handed to her earlier. “I’ve never been styled or whatsoever before, so I was a bit surprised. I’m sorry if I somewhat offend you or anything.”

Krystal tilts her head in her direction and watches her looking down. She pats her shoulder gently, resulting Joohyun to look up at her.

“You don’t need to worry. You’re already gorgeous as it is so I don’t think I will do much either.” She grins and points at her belongings. “Shall we start the makeover now?”


Hi!
Happy belated birthday to baby Yerim!
She will be forever our baby despite the fact that she has beautifully grown up as a lady :")

Oh and happy belated birthday to kid leader Taeyeon! My first ever bias, wishing you all the best things to happen in life! 


Anyways thanks for subscribing, commenting and upvoting! 
I do hope you guys enjoying this story so far! ^^

Have a nice day everyone!