(15)

Freedom

15

Joohyun has already drowned her second glass of wine when Krystal magically pops out beside her with a small smile. “Hello, Joohyun.”

“Hello,” Joohyun beams in return, fully facing the taller woman.

“Are you all alone?”

Krystal asks while roaming her eyes around in search of someone. She brings her gaze down to see Joohyun shaking her head while answering, “My companion is picking a dessert.”

“Seulgi?”

“No, she left with her father two hours ago,” Joohyun replies solemnly, hand fiddling with her glass. “And she hasn’t come back ever since.”

“No message or whatsoever?”

Joohyun shakes her head. “Nothing.”  

“She is probably trapped again,” mutters Krystal shortly and it successfully elicits the smaller woman’s interest.

“Trapped?”

“It’s nothing, Joohyun.”

“What do you mean by trapped?” One of her brows escalates in confusion. “Is she alright?”

“She is alright or so I think.”

“Krystal?” Joohyun silently regards her companion. Her tone is begging. “Please?”

Krystal lets out a sigh while gesturing Joohyun to follow her. “Let’s talk somewhere private.”

The taller woman leads the way and Joohyun follows suit after informing both Taeyeon and Tiffany through messages. They settle in a corner with fewer people hanging around and Krystal is the first one to break the silence. “You see, Seulgi is not fond of this kind of event.”

In which Joohyun acknowledges with a firm nod. “I’m well aware.”

It’s shown although Seulgi has not stated it to her yet, Joohyun guesses it was her ultimate reason to bring her along in the first place.

“That’s because she is tired of being paired up with their business partner’s sons.” Krystal continues explaining, her face showing a sign of sympathy as she elaborates more. “Well, one thing leads to another, that’s because she ditched her arranged marriage three years ago.”

Joohyun’s eyes widen. “W-what?”

“You didn’t expect it right?”

She nods and Krystal does the same. “We all were freaked out, but she managed to settle it off and broke the arrangement before the public got a whiff of it.” Krystal shrugs and a small grin breaks off her lips at the reminder of event. “Well, I don’t really know how she managed to do that, but yes, she survived. Save it later for her to tell you in details. I was in America back then so I missed all the fiasco.”

Joohyun stays muted throughout the tattletale about Seulgi. She really doesn’t expect it, given that the younger girl always acts randomly with a bright spirit on the surface. The thought of her suffering that does concern Joohyun.

“Back to the topic, her father is quite a strict man.” Krystal looks up, gazing at the high ceiling where the chandelier is hanging. “Your typical stubborn and demanding man straight from those weekend dramas. The one who always gets whatever he wants and never takes no for an answer.”    

“Miss the DNA test and stuffs in the real dramas, Seulgi is happened to be his biological daughter who turns out to be quite obedient and follow his absurd demands.” Her explanation goes with a shrug as Joohyun raises an eyebrow at the implication of the man.

“Please don’t take it as if I’m trying to make him look bad or anything. Okay, I might so, but that’s not my point. I love Uncle Kang, but he could be ridiculous and too much at times. He can’t treat his daughter like that.” Joohyun blinks when Krystal has swiftly shifted her gaze at her. “I care for Seulgi.”

The air around them thickens and the older woman pauses, she doesn’t know how to respond.

Okay, Seulgi is her friend.

And Joohyun cares for Seulgi too. Yet she can’t shake the feeling of Krystal and Seulgi being more than just friends who care for each other.

One way or another.

Joohyun’s mind takes a wandering tour towards her earlier conversation with Krystal.

Back then at their ride to the Hotel, Krystal has pretty much surprised her when the taller woman casually said that she was ‘more than Seulgi’s friend’. In response to her --- Are you friend with Seulgi?--- harmless question.

Joohyun recalls giving an awkward nod and her mind shuts blank the whole ride almost automatically. 

No wonder Krystal seems to hold something more behind the interaction she shares with Seulgi earlier. The fond in her eyes whenever she talks about Seulgi or how her smile is presented when it’s Joohyun’s turn to share her thought about the said boss. 

The whole assumption of Krystal being more than just Seulgi’s friend is perturbing, though she is also curious about it. And at a time like this, Joohyun wishes to have Seungwan telling her what is going on here.

Yes, Seungwan has a knack to read people and she gets it right most of the time. And that’s including her own secret. How her best friend was able to find out her secret is beyond Joohyun.     

Her brows are bristling with a newfound thought. She is curious, but she is also scared to find out.

“Now you get the whole idea of her being trapped?”

Krystal’s question brings her focus back from thinking a little too much about their closeness. Biting her lower lip, Joohyun slowly complies with a nod. “Yes.”

“Good.” The wrinkle on her temple is now gone as Krystal relaxes. “I don’t want to see Seulgi suffer again. She has enough of it and she deserves her own happiness.”

“I do.” The smaller woman mumbles, looking down at her now empty glass.

“Don’t you wonder why would I share this kind of information with a total stranger?” Krystal amusingly asks, prompting an eyebrow at her.

Joohyun hastily lifts her gaze, meeting hers. “Huh?”

“I’m telling you all this because I trust you. I know you’re a good person and I know you’ll always be there for her.”

“We’re not really close.” She reacts, a second bit late. It takes her a moment to understand what Krystal has just said. “We’re only friends for what? A little over two months?”

“It doesn’t matter. I know you can look after my cousin just right.”

Joohyun can’t help herself from staring blankly at the speaking woman. She asks back, rather dumbfounded. “C-cousin?”  

“Yes, Seulgi is my cousin.” The corner of Krystal’s lips is lifted dangerously high, resembling a smirk as Joohyun does a double take to comprehend her next sentence. “You seriously got the wrong vibe, huh?”

X

Joohyun jerks in a surprise as the feel of something cold resting on her bare shoulder is sending the shiver to run down her spine. She looks back and realizes that the cold thing is none other than a hand that belongs to Kang Seulgi herself.

“Have you waited long?” Seulgi’s right hand remains unbothered on her shoulder and Joohyun tries to act as if it doesn’t affect her. “No-”

“If you’re considering two hours and thirty minutes as ‘long’, then yes it is.” Krystal jibes from the other side, watching them. “If I were Joohyun, I would be mad at you for leaving me here all alone.”

“I’m sorry.”

Seulgi’s withdrawing hand and apology have her tongue stuck at the moment. She shakes her head, but Seulgi’s expression remains the same. She is still sorry and Joohyun feels the need to correct the earlier statement made by Krystal. From the corner of her eye, Joohyun catches Krystal shooting back a wink before she is able to protest.

“Let’s go I’ll drive you home.” Seulgi abruptly announces, surprising her.  

“No! I wasn’t waiting for that long.” Joohyun finds herself rumbling when Krystal decides to fly out the scene with a wicked laugh. “I really don’t mind waiting. I’m accustomed to it already.”

“You shouldn’t get accustomed to it.” Seulgi responds quietly and Joohyun does nothing but stares at her. The reply somewhat holds deeper meaning and she begins wondering whether it’s okay for her to ask more. “Y-your hand is cold.”

“Ah,” Seulgi lets out a small chuckle, rubbing one hand on her own pants as she roves her gaze around. “I’ve been outside for hours.”

“With your father?”

Joohyun cautiously asks as she bites her lower lip out of nervousness.

 “Yeah.” Seulgi shortly replies and nonchalantly smiles. “Anyway, have you eaten? Do you wanna some?”

And just like that Seulgi has dropped the topic. She swiftly transforms herself into this happy-go-lucky kind of person with the lamest question. The two rows of mini sushi piled on the small plate is all she can perceive and Joohyun looks up to see Seulgi’s eyes brightened like a kid.

Her gaze softens at the sight.

She really wants to ask Seulgi regarding her earlier behavior, but she finds herself discouraged after seeing how happy the younger one is with her treat now. Adding that to the information she got from Krystal, Joohyun doesn’t really want to spoil Seulgi’s current mood, although all she wants to do is to help her. “I think you need it more than I do.”

“That I do.” Seulgi shamelessly nods and picks up a small fork.

Joohyun leans on the wall and watches the other girl eating.

“The only good thing about this place is that they provided food.” The taller woman manages to say before she chews her food quietly. Giving Joohyun some time to observe her, until she can’t keep the dying question from rolling out .

“Are you…” Joohyun clears slowly. “…okay?”

X

“Are you… okay?”

Is she really okay?

Seulgi’s hand momentary stops in the midair as she glances upward to meet Joohyun’s concern filled eyes.

For the first time, she feels unable saying anything in return. Maybe she really is tired of pretending to be okay that it feels really hard to utter the same damn word from time to time. Her lips parting, but no sound is coming.

“And there she is.”

Seulgi is the first one to snap out and almost growls in disbelief when Krystal begins to approach them with an older woman in a tow.

When she thought that she’s finally out of the lion’s dent, the other figure decides to show up and ruin her mood for the rest of the night.

“The beautiful lady by Seulgi’s side is her friend, Aunt Kang.”

She is glad that the fork she currently held was made of steel, if not it would be broken due the strength she forces upon it. She has reminded Krystal countless time about it, that woman does not belong to Kang’s. When would Soojung ever understand?

“My oh my, you’re really beautiful.” The older woman exclaims with a motherly smile, she reaches her hand forward when they are within arm’s reach. “My name is Kang Sohyee, I’m Seulgi’s mother.”

Seulgi tries her best to keep her cool and lowly mutters to herself. She will shut  for the sake of Joohyun being there.

“My name is Bae Joohyun and glad to meet you in person Mrs. Kang.”  

“Thank you, Joohyun.” The older woman chuckles as she draws her hand back, “Is that okay with you if I call you by Joohyun?”

“Of course, ma’am.”

“You can call me Aunt Kang too.” She heartily chuckles, softly patting Joohyun by her arm. “I’ve rarely seen Seulgi with her friends. So, I’m surprised that she decided to bring her friend along tonight. Not that I’m complaining though, it’s really a good change.”

“Joohyun is a special friend.”

Krystal quips with ease and Joohyun stiffens out of reflex.

“Oh? Seulgi’s best friend?”

Seulgi is aware of Joohyun’s subtle glance but she simply shoves another roll of sushi to stop herself from snorting out instead. What an attempt. Her stepmother doesn’t even aware of the fact that she didn’t have any real friends at all, let alone best friend. Though yeah, Seulgi has considered Joohyun as her friend for the last two months. A real one, she may add. The ones she considers closest friends have always been her cousins. So, that makes Joohyun indeed special.

“Y-yes?” Joohyun’s timid voice resonances to answer with a slight stutter.

Seulgi’s mother turns to look at Seulgi with an uplifting smile. “Bring Joohyun the next time you come home alright honey? I want to know more about your friend!”

X

“I’m sorry to have you seen all that. I mean, I know you’re not blind enough to see what’s going on with my family.”

Seulgi whispers behind the wheel, her tone restrained. They have reached Joohyun’s building apartment after a long ride full of silence. “I’m sorry for forcing you to come as well as leaving you all alone. I was selfish and I apologize for that.”

“You don’t have to feel sorry at all,” Joohyun responds as gently as she can. The family issue is a very sensitive matter and Joohyun understands. Having experienced herself, she knows her own limit not to pry. “I was enjoying the party too.”

“Are you sure?”

“One hundred percent sure.”

“Thank you.” Seulgi offers her a small smile as she tilts her head in her direction, her expression abruptly turns serious. “You can keep my blazer and wash it later like you did to my jacket before, but for now please wear it properly. Your dress is quite revealing and the air outside is chilly. I know you love the dress, but I don’t want you to catch a cold as well.”

It’s not Joohyun first time seeing how sweet and gentle Seulgi can actually be. Despite her own refusal, it still manages to make her face warm and her heart races not so evenly.

“T-thank you.”

Seulgi merely nods, peeling off her seatbelt, ready to bolt out any moment. “I’ll you.”

Joohyun bites her lower lip and shakes her head at the abrupt thought concerning the raven-haired girl. Seulgi’s gentle manner towards her means nothing. The latter is just that chivalrous and she shouldn’t act this way. “You don’t have to.”

“Krystal told me you had wine.”

“I only had two glasses. I have a high tolerance, remember?”

“Are you sure?” Seulgi raises her palm, showing two fingers before demanding her to answer. “Count.”

“Duh, it’s two.”

The younger girl laughs, nodding her head while retreating her palm back to her side. “Bravo! You passed the test.”

“Told ya.”

“Okay then. Good night Joohyun.”

“Good night.”

But another thought has made Joohyun momentary fazed. It stops her from moving altogether when she is about to leave her companion behind. “Seul?”

Joohyun quietly calls, hands hesitating to push the door open. She turns to face Seulgi again, now determined to cheer the latter up.

“Hmm?”

“You can be yourself around me,” she puts her own strands of hair behind her right ear, catching the look Seulgi give and find herself turns into a nervous wreck. Joohyun swallows hard but manages to say it out painstakingly clear in the end. “It’s okay not to be okay.”  

She can almost hear her own heart pounding this loudly when the silence inside Seulgi’s car takes another agonizing minute after her remark. Okay, does it really wrong to say it to someone?

Or did I come across as an insensitive human being?

And later on, Seulgi’s sudden request has successfully rendered Joohyun speechless, causing her jaw to nearly fall off when the younger womans gaze turn solemn almost in a second.

“Can you please give me a hug?”

 


Hello!
Thank you for reading, commenting and upvoting this story! You seriously don't have any idea how happy I am <3
I hope you really really have a great day and enjoy the girls' comeback for this summer! And also happy belated 4th anniversary to the bunch of dorks, Redeu Belbet! Happy 11th anniversary to queen Girls' Generation as well!!!!
Gearing to #PowerUp!
Happy reading everyone!