(8)

Freedom

8

“Damn… I should have realized it sooner.”

Seulgi softly hisses to herself the moment she is finally able to see the line of cars before her. The long queuing of these cars isn’t solely caused by a traffic jam, that’s for sure. Some of the traffic officers are directing the crowds at the end of the road where she currently heads in order to shorten her trip. By looking at the unfortunate situation, she immediately plans to take a turn and change her route. But before she’s about to switch into another gear, loud impatient honks coming from behind her are making its way to piss her.

Seulgi looks through her rearview and sees another car lined behind her. “Great.”

A vague sound coming from an ambulance is getting clearer, probably making its way there and she can only mentally blame her fate. “There’s an accident somewhere and I get stuck with impatient people who love to honk their cars repetitively behind me.”

Her car and so do the rest of the other vehicles lining before her are getting trapped. They probably aren’t going anywhere for at least another hour.

“It’s his fault. He made me stay longer there intentionally.” Seulgi mumbles, she taps her steering wheel with an obvious displeasure look. She scoffs inwardly when she recalls his excuse earlier, the reason for her lateness. “What a trick he used on me.”

She stares hard and sighs when she realizes there’s no use of sending daggers towards these policemen in their duty. “How am I going to that bar if this line isn’t even moving?”

Seulgi questions herself while scanning her surroundings. She can feel her head throbbing by the countless sounds coming from these cars. “Oh my god can’t they stop honking for once? I’m in hurry as well but I don’t see the need to be this persistent.” She eyes the actual car behind her and frowns, finding the familiarity at the sight. She straightens her posture and squints her vision in order to observe more thoroughly. There, she can’t be wrong. She has been inside that said car for several occasions, thanks to his persistent request. “Wait a second, it’s his car right? He followed me here or what?”

She rolls her eyes in disbelief.

It’s not the first time he tried using those kinds of excuses towards her. All he does is actually still understandable, though he’s a bit stubborn with his advances. He tries to make them getting closer by spending time together through work and she’s fine with it as long as he doesn’t try something funny. She only sees him as a big brother—the right-hand man of her father who helps her in preparation to manage the company and nothing more.

And obviously, she has been sending the no signal every chance she gets but his will to date her isn’t even wavering for a bit. Just like this time when she thought that she’s finally free from him, she happens to spot his car tailing behind her own.

Her eyes are darting from the unmoved vehicle behind her to the ticking device on her wrist, showing that she has been late for one hour already from their agreed time. Noting inside her mind that the bar’s location isn’t that far from her current place, her mischievous smile slowly appears at the thought of something. “Uh… I’ll surely get into a trouble, but that’s okay.”

She fishes out her phone and scrolls on it before dialing someone to help her execute the plan. The line beeps and she tries to suppress her wicked smile. “Jongin?”

Seulgi calls lightly after the person’s voice resurfaces, “Can you do me a favor?”

While unbuckling her seat in the process, Seulgi looks sideways at her passenger seat to see her bag laying on it. “I plan to go somewhere and decide to leave my car on my way there,” she reaches for her bag and jacket before placing the said items on her laps. “I’ll send you its location so you can pick my car later with the spare key uncle Kim has,”

“Make sure to manage everything, okay?” She asks deliberately while eyeing the still honking car behind her with a slight smile through the rearview. “I believe you can settle it just well.”

“And uh,” Seulgi bites her lips in anticipation, “Bring it back to my apartment.”

She hears his reply and smiles to herself. Everything is according to her plan. “Good, I’ll get going now and please don’t tell my parents about anything. Technically speaking, you don’t have to tell them as long as they don’t ask you.”

“…”

“You won’t get fired, I assure you.” Seulgi convinces him once more when he questions back timidly. “I got your back. Just don’t let my parents get a whiff about this and we’re safe.”

She ends the call after making Jongin swear with his pet’s life on the line. How Seulgi knew about him having a pet is beyond mystery as well. She quickly sends her car’s location and looks back at the car behind. “Well, forgive me for doing this but you should at least take a no for an answer, Henry oppa.”

Seulgi immediately grabs her belongings and steps outside of her car in one quick motion. She doesn’t forget to secure her car first before bolting out to reach the sidewalk in a light speed. Seulgi manages to reach the pavement and can’t hide her smile that’s threatening to burst out when she looks back at the car behind hers. “Jongin, I know I’m being selfish and sorry for bluffing I didn’t have any idea that you got yourself a pet," Seulgi chuckles, “but well... it worked! I’m sorry!”

She brings her gaze forward and starts to run with a bright smile marring her face. The adrenaline hormones are boosting in her system and Seulgi feels like running towards her destination isn’t a bad choice at all.

X

“How’s work?”

Sooyoung looks up from the drink she is currently preparing while she catches her best friend sitting at one of the bar stools across her with a bored expression. She throws a cheeky smile before giving her a playful answer, “As you see same old.”

“But you seem busy.” Joohyun replies back shortly, gesturing to her bustling movement. The tall bartender barks a chuckle while shaking her head. “It’s the rush hour, Joohyun.” She motions with her eyes around before meeting hers again. “Sorry for neglecting you though.”

Sooyoung stares quietly at the older woman who nods her head in response to her earlier reply. “Anyway, how about you? Work has been fun?”

Joohyun rapidly shakes her head and pouts unconsciously. She has been sitting there for nearly two hours but they only get to chat longer now due to the restless orders earlier. Propping her arm against her own chin, Joohyun can only sigh. “Anything but fun,”

Sooyoung gives a sorry look at her companion when the order she has prepared ready, noting the older’s somber look. She flees to the right side while bringing the said order, giving some quiet moment for Joohyun to wander her eyes at the dim place.

“I want to be a bartender instead.”

Joohyun comments lowly as she watches her best friend serve the drink towards the guy who sits near her before making her way to her earlier position. Sooyoung hears her answer and can’t help but laugh out loud when she fully faces the woman, who happens to make a scorned expression. “I take that your work is being a pain then?”

“Work has always been like that though.”

“And yet you rarely complain.” Sooyoung opposes with raised brows. The older woman crashes her upper body on the table in response to her query. “Doesn’t mean I couldn’t complain now...”

“What’s bothering you now little one?”

“Get me another one, Sooyongieee…”

Sooyoung’s eyes come into a slit as she scans the crouched figure in front of her who has her arm stretched towards her direction. Joohyun lifts her head and stares at her best friend when the glass she holds out is still empty. “What?”

“You tell me what.” The taller figure asks back, making Joohyun frown from the question.

“Why are you drinking this much?”

“That’s because I can.”

“Still, it doesn’t change the fact that you have devoured your drink for hours without any consent.”

“Hey what’s up with the insinuation? You make me sound like I’m an alcoholic or something. It’s not even that strong.” Joohyun straightens her posture. “Can you give me another bottle, my dearest friend?”

“You’re acting strangely. You don’t happen to be drunk right?” Sooyoung reluctantly opens the new bottle and places it in front of her. Joohyun’s lips immediately stretch into a wide smile at the sight. She is about to reach for it but stop momentarily as she only grabs the empty air instead. The older woman looks up to see Sooyoung’s suspiciously eyeing her with a hand over the bottle. “What now?”

“On second thought, I’ll settle in giving you a shot only. Precaution.”

Joohyun rolls her eyes. “Oh please. Are you serious?”

“Damn serious.”

She watches her best friend pour her a drink and pushes it in her direction after doing so. Sooyoung then turns to wipe the space beside her with a napkin after storing the earlier bottle on the shelf. “That’s also the last.”

Joohyun again gives her a disbelief look. “Oh come on! I’m not even drunk!”

“Okay, but you will if you keep on drinking again.”

The older woman throws a glare at her best friend before she takes a swig of her own drink. She puts her glass down and scans around the bustling place. “You let Seungwan have a bottle for herself.”

“That’s because she drinks it occasionally and you see, she’s out there dancing and not being here, drinking her whole night alone.” Sooyoung logically reasons out, much to the older woman’s dismay. “Besides, you’re already on your second bottle so you can’t use that against me.”

“Wait again, I’m not an alcoholic if that’s what you’re implying!” Joohyun declares with determination at the misleading statement, “It just happens that I don’t have any mood to dance right now so I would rather sit here and drink my sorrow away.”

Sooyoung turns to her while raising an eyebrow. Eyes narrowing down curiously at her. “What is really happened then? What makes you want to drink your sorrow away?”

Joohyun sighs and drops her head on the marble surface, feeling everything spins after she has finished her drink. “Long story but to simplify everything, it happened because of your insisted night call.”

“What?”

“That day when you ranted for hours about your boyfriend who lacked in giving you compliments …” Joohyun heaves another sigh and closes her eyes, mentally recalling the situation which is vividly recorded inside her mind. “I was late because of it and that’s how the whole story began.”

“Hey grandma, let’s dance!”

She opens her eyes to see Seungwan looking at her with a bright smile, persistent hands making its way on her right shoulder to jerk her. “I don’t have energy left, Seungwan-ah.” And with that said Joohyun closes her vision again and ignores her friend’s whines while slumping further on the table.

“But!”

“No but. I’m tired.” She remarks back lazily.

“How about Seulgi then? Is she going to make it?”

Joohyun no longer has her eyes closed at the mention of that name. “I don’t know and I don’t even care if she comes.”

The petite woman senses the strange atmosphere and decides to drop the topic instead. “Uh… okay. No need to glare at me like that you know, it’s a bit scary.”

Seungwan brings her gaze to Sooyoung and smiles, getting the same gesture in response by the bartender. “I will go dancing again then, this grandma is way too cranky for my liking.”

When Seungwan is no longer in sight thus Sooyoung starts to question her best friend. “Who is Seulgi?”

“Someone who is related to all the commotion you caused that day.” Joohyun breathes an answer vaguely, causing the other person to stare at her with a confused look.

“What are you talking about? Elaborate please?”

“I will if you let me drink a bottle again.” Joohyun rises up from her position with a smiley expression, propping her chin on her elbows while luring her best friend to fulfill her request. “Do you want to know my full story right?”

“You sneaky little kid.” Sooyoung remarks lowly as she takes the slim bottle out from the shelf below. “I won’t get you another one again okay.” She opens the cap and places it on the table. “You have to tell me your full story.”

Joohyun grins while taking the said bottle, mentally celebrating her success to lure Sooyoung into giving her another drink. “With my pleasure.”

X

“Where is she…” Seulgi looks around at the sea of people while dialing Joohyun’s number in the process. She gets no reply after spamming her with chats for a while now, and her calls aren’t answered either by her. She pockets her phone after her calls went straight to the voicemail for the umpteenth time. She gives another shot to scan those dancing people in front of her. Joohyun might get absorbed in dancing and not being able to answer her call in the midst of this noisy place for all she knows.

She is about to approach the counter in an attempt to search for Joohyun but halts her movement when her gaze catches the familiar petite figure dancing not far from her current place. “Wendy!”

Seulgi makes a beeline for the woman and pats her shoulder when she is at her arm’s length. The blasting sound makes it hard for her to get the attention of the said woman. “Hi, Wendy!”

Seungwan’s face lightens as she turns to greet the taller figure. “Hi! I thought you weren’t going to make it!” She shouts as the music starting to drown her voice. “Joohyun is waiting for you!”

“I’m sorry! Work has gotten harsh lately.” Seulgi grins sheepishly, getting the understandable look from Seungwan. She brings her vision to round the place, looking for the other woman. “Where’s she then?”

Seungwan points at the counter with her forefinger. “She’s been there since we came.”

Seulgi follows the sight where Seungwan’s vision landed on. She couldn’t spot the said woman thanks to the bustling people hindering her vision or was Joohyun is that small she doesn’t even know.

“Thanks, Wendy!” She looks over the dancing brunette. “Aren’t you going to her place?”

“Nah… I’m still going to burn my stress away so yeah I’ll be joining you guys later.” Seungwan beams at her before returning to dance again, leaving Seulgi to shake her head at the antic. “See you later then” She picks her pace and slowly makes her way to Joohyun’s place with a wide splitting smile.

X

“Okay, I think I have enough drink…” Joohyun mutters as she feels her head getting heavier by the second. Her state gets even worse when the DJ turns in a series of a rowdy remix blaring around the stereo, making her head pound in pain. She scans around with her hazy vision and no longer seeing her bartender best friend nor does she find Seungwan in her short quest. “Where are they?”

“Hi, is this seat taken?”

The manly deep voice suddenly chimes, making her turn to see the said person in alarmed look. She pushes herself up and shakes her head to answer his question. “No.”

“Thanks,” he replies while smiling in her direction and so she returns his friendly gesture with a small smile as well. She averts her gaze lower on her glass and she momentary ponders at the sight. The night is still young and Joohyun is determined to enjoy her time to its fullest, stopping herself from drinking now means ending the night itself.    

“What are you waiting for? Just drink it already.” He comments and Joohyun stays quiet, only soundlessly staring at her glass thinking that he was talking to anyone else.

“What’s holding you back? Or perhaps, is this your first time here?”

She angles her head and eyes the man who widely smiles back at her. “Are you talking to me?”

The earlier man nods, “Is this your first time in here?”

“It’s not my first time.” She uninterestedly responds back.

“Then by all means, let’s drink then.” He casually reaches for his drink. “Do you want more? I have a bottle if you feel like wanting more.” He gestures towards the forlorn bottle near them and Joohyun quickly shakes her head to reject his offer. “I’m full.”

“It’s only a drink.”

“I know, but still I’m full. Thank you for offering me though.” Joohyun politely rejects and is about to move in search of her best friend when the man asks about her persistent refusal. “You look like a proper woman though, are you afraid to get drunk then?”

“Excuse me?” She catches the playful look on his face and frowns. She doesn’t like people judging her by looking only at her appearance. She is much more than that and her pride won’t take it. Adding that to her already intoxicated brain, it sounds like a challenge to her. She can’t let this slip. “What are you trying to imply? I’m not afraid. In fact, I have a high tolerance for it.”

“Prove it then,” he raises his glass upward. “You can do it.”

Joohyun looks at him, noting his nonchalant expression. She takes a quick shot and places the glass down almost immediately. “Done.”

“Great! I take my earlier words.” He thumbs up and grins. “Anyway, are you here alone?”

She raises one of her brows at his strange question. Upon seeing her response, he can’t help but laugh. “Oh let me fix my words because that’s impossible. How can a woman as beautiful as you are, being alone here right?”

Joohyun holds back her will to roll her eyes. She should have seen this coming. She doesn’t feel the need to respond to his advance though, so she only results to settle with a flat, “Thank you but I’ve to leave, so see you around.”

She stands up and freezes momentarily when she feels his big hand on her shoulder. She jerks in place and swats his hand out of reflex to see him looking at her knowingly. “What do you think you are doing?!”

“Where are you going?”

“Wherever I want to,” she growls, feeling her patient getting thinner. “Listen, I don’t know you and I don’t want to know any of your intentions for bothering me this way, but I respect your privacy, so I do hope you respect mine.” Joohyun glares, feeling it hard to stay focused on his face as everything seems to be double in her peripheral eyes. He rises up to his full height and stares down at her with a smirk.

“What? Sorry, I suddenly can’t hear you.” He leans a bit closer and Joohyun quickly takes a step back, bringing her hand forward to stop him any further. “What in the hell are you doing?!”

“Excuse me, I don’t mean to be rude, but her face clearly said that she doesn’t want to talk to you. So, it’s better for you to leave her alone.”

Joohyun snaps her neck at the sudden voice coming from her left side. Amidst the blasting music filling this dim place and despite the fact that her head feels heavier than before by second, she can recognize this familiar voice just right. She looks up to see Seulgi staring at the man across them grimly. Out of instinct, she reaches to softly tug her tensed hand, attempting to tell her that she is okay and there’s no need to put up with his sluggish move of flirting around.

“What? She didn’t even say no. Why are you the one to complain?” The man speaks up, feeling a bit offended while Seulgi can only restrain herself from rolling her eyes by his unjustifiable excuse. She can tell that this man is a bit intoxicated as well, he barely understands her words.

Seulgi brings her gaze down to see Joohyun shaking her head, she blankly stares at the latter before turning to face the man again.

“Funny enough, I recall, she was clearly rejecting your lame moves though.” Says the younger girl as she slips in between, gently pulling Joohyun closer to her side, effectively shielding her as they stand to face him. Seulgi maintains her smile when she looks at him one last time, noting his baffled expression. “No one deserves to be treated this way, you know. Then again if you insist, I won’t hesitate to sue you if you try to bother my friend again, okay?”

X

“I can’t breathe inside,” Seulgi comments as she throws an occasional glance at the back, making sure that they aren’t tailed behind. Just in case that same guy tries something funny again then she won’t hesitate to kick him out of this place by herself. She doesn’t care if he turns out to be someone important because again no one deserves to be treated with lack of respect like that. Especially her new friend, Joohyun.

Joohyun follows the soft tug on her hand and stops looking at her feet when she can perfectly hear the voice of this person. She lifts her head and scans her surroundings, no blasting sound, no people with lack of personal space dancing around her, no wonder she can clearly hear Seulgi’s voice. They are no longer inside the bustling bar, strolling off to somewhere and there’s no sign of them stopping any soon, she doesn’t have any idea where are they currently heading.

“I need a bunch of fresh air, the smokes inside are going to kill me alive. And uh, why are you looking at me like that?” Seulgi adds again, finally noticing Joohyun’s silent stare which has settled on her iron grip on the latter’s arm. She immediately lets go with an awkward smile, “Oops, I figured it out it was faster to drag you before he decided to tag along. Sorry about that.”

They avert their gazes anywhere but one another, the night is still young with people walking along them. Joohyun takes a deep breath, silently blowing the air out of to ease herself. She timidly scans her back figure, “Thank you. I don’t know what would happen to me if you weren’t there to stop him...” She trails slowly behind as she can’t find herself joining Seulgi to walk alongside her. She doesn’t even know why, “I owe you, Seulgi.”

The taller one among them chuckles, she fans it off nonchalantly with her palm.

“Well, someone needs to teach that guy some manner. No big deal.” Seulgi turns to look back at her, still strolling slowly—their eyes locking. “You can walk straight, right?”

Her tone is filled with concern when for a moment she thought that the latter would jokingly ask her. Joohyun smiles in response, silently answering her. “Anyway, where are we going?”

“We will go to the convenience store, I’m hungry.” The younger girl grins and points toward the sign near them. “You don’t mind right?”

X

“First thing, are you hungry?” Seulgi mumbles while occasionally taking a bite of her rolled kimbap, a cup of steaming noodles in her other hand. She watches Joohyun shake her head. “Oh well, don’t mind these foods then. Work has drained my energy out and so I’ve to treat my stomach with love...” She adds as she glances at the quiet figure, noting her slumping gesture. “Anyway, how many drinks did you take? You look a bit wasted...”

Joohyun closes her lids and sighs, folding her hands over the table to couch her head. “Around three bottles maybe.”

It makes Seulgi stop putting another food inside . She casts a side glance  over Joohyun, “wow... I barely sober after two shots...”

“I happened to meet your drunken side once,” Joohyun opens one of her eyes and feels her lips pulling up into a smile, catching Seulgi’s reddened cheeks.

“I apologize for that absurd encounter.”

“You were cute though twirling around like a kid.”

“Don’t mess with me.” Seulgi places her cold drink in front of Joohyun as she tries hard to stay unaffected despite the unwanted flashback which has successfully flushed her in never-ending embarrassment. “Drink up Joohyun, you’re drunk now.”

“I might be.” Joohyun utters audibly, silently watching the other girl take her time in eating again. Both of them are sitting on one of the tall chairs facing the large window of this store, taking in the view of street lights and people swarming around. “I thought you won’t come,”

Joohyun mumbles, eyes nearly dropping. Seulgi who hears it just as clearly can only smile in embarrassment. “I’m sorry for being late. Something came up and I had to settle it first before joining your invitation here.”

“You don’t have to feel obligated with my invitation. You can always say no if you aren’t able to, you know.” Joohyun catches her surprised expression and gently smiles back, “I mean it, Seulgi. First thing first, I know you’ve to be ready with everything sooner, your preparation and all, that’s not easy.”

They stare for a moment before the said woman breaks into a beam. That’s it, she knows that their friendship is worth beyond everything else, Joohyun is worth it. “Thank you for your concern, I can do just that but I’ve promised you to come, so here I am. And before you object, there’s no obligation going around here. I do want to come and I definitely mean it.”

Joohyun blinks, not expecting the answer. Seulgi giggles at the reaction, she motions to her food.

“And I can’t say no to free food.”

Their conversations fall into a comfortable silence, and neither one of them minds it.

Seulgi blows the steam out of her cup of noodle eagerly. When she feels that it’s cool enough, her hands are fast enough to twirl the noodles in one swift motion. Without warning, Seulgi has already gotten a big chunk of it, shoving the food straight into . And despite not in her fully sober state, Joohyun can perfectly count how many cups Seulgi has finished in their span of fifteen minutes into their night snacking. She only watches how the younger woman eating in a small amusement.

“Thank you for treating me,” Seulgi says after devouring her last meal in a big slurp, face looking satisfied. “I would choose this mart over that bar any day.”

Joohyun feels her eyelids are getting heavier, watching Seulgi eat her food eagerly is somewhat soothing. And in a mere second the older girl has fallen asleep without her even realizing, leaving Seulgi to talk to no one in particular.

“You know we’re even already so you don’t-” the taller woman halts her words when she hears her light snore in return, she doesn’t even have to finish asking. She turns to her side and grabs her forlorn jacket before fixing it to cover this sleeping figure.

Seulgi then reaches for her mineral water and drinks it, quietly watching her still companion with a small smile. “She looks peaceful.”

Her smile slowly fades as something finally sinks in. She retreats her drink on the table and leans down as well, mirroring Joohyun’s pose. “How am I going to bring her out of this mart?” She quickly pokes Joohyun’s cheek. “Hey... wake up,” but the latter doesn’t budge. She tries again, this time she starts to shake her shoulder a bit stronger but still gets no result. “Is she a heavy sleeper or is it because she is drunk?” Seulgi mutters in wonder while straightening her back. “Does she bring her phone along?”

She catches the sight of Joohyun’s small bag. “Sorry for invading your personal stuff, but I need to do this.” She rummages through her bag and gets the one she ought to search. She is about to celebrate her founding but has to stop it when she sees the locked screen. “What’s her password? Or is it fingerprint?” She stealthy takes Joohyun’s forefinger to press the keypad, but to her dismay, her phone is still locked. “Okay, this is hard.” She retreats back her belongings to its original place and sighs inwardly. “What should I do now?”

“I can’t go back and tell Wendy, right? It’s a big capital no to leave Joohyun alone.” She then observes Joohyun and makes up her mind. Seulgi discharges her jacket from Joohyun’s back and securely ties it at the latter’s waist before she takes her own bag and Joohyun’s, slinging it nonchalantly in front of her body.

After quietly chanting to herself, Seulgi reels in place with back facing her. She looks behind, crouching down slowly and gently bringing Joohyun’s figure to straighten up, the older woman’s hands then draping around her own neck much later. She pulls her petite body closer, seizing her strong grip under her bum. Making sure that Joohyun is settled well on her back before she stands up and swiftly walks out.

The night breeze welcomes her as soon as she steps outside the small store. Her stomach has already filled and so, she doesn’t mind this little exercise. She throws a quick glance sideways, suddenly chuckling to herself, finding the situation somewhat funny at their reflection by the glass window. “It feels like a dèjavu, but this time though I’m the one who’s sober.” Seulgi tightens her grip and starts walking, joining the flow of people strolling under the street lights with spring in her steps.