Playdate

Hired Babysitter

“Hyung!”

“Hyung!”

“Hyung!”

Myungsoo finally looked at his brother who was calling him for a while now. They were in the hallway going back to the living room where the rest are.

“Oh, Mansae-yah, mianhae. What is it?” Myungsoo picked up his brother who was climbing up his back. 

“Yoon Ji-eommonim said that she was making fried chicken for dinner. We’re going to eat dinner here right?” 

“But Mansae-yah, I think we overstayed already. We might be bothering them already. We're going to go home in a while, okay?” 

Mansae squirmed from his back and started to cry. Really loud. 

“Mansae-yah, don't cry. Please don't cry. This is not our house, you should not be acting like this.” Myungsoo tried to hug his brother but it was no use. The Jung family ran to the scene. Mansae then hid behind Krystal’s legs and let her hug him. 

“Oh, Mansae-yah, what’s wrong?” Krystal was trying to hush the crying toddler. Krystal mouthed to Myungsoo “what's wrong?” Myungsoo just shook his head. 

In between huffs, Mansae spoke, “Hyung said that we're not going to eat the fried chicken that Yoon Ji-omoni would cook for dinner.” 

“Is that so? Myungsoo-yah, you should just stay if that would make Mansae-yah happier.” 

“Ah, eommonim, I really think that we have overstayed already. And I think this should have been a family day for you guys. I’ll just handle Mansae-yah in the car.” Myungsoo went near Krystal and bent down to pick Mansae. “Mansae-yah, please stop crying.” 

Mansae just hid more behind the Jungs. “Mansae-yah, don’t you think you should follow your hyung?” Krystal tried to coax him into following Myungsoo. Luck is just not on their side.

“Myungsoo-yah, I don't think Mansae-yah would stop crying. Kids like them are very persistent. We could just have a very early dinner so that you guys can go home early too.” Jessica was trying to help. Krystal was now holding Mansae. Myungsoo stood up and tried to pick him up from Krystal.

Sighing, Myungsoo just said “If we stay for the fried chicken will you stop crying now?” Mansae stopped and climbed to Myungsoo’s arms. Mansae just nodded. “Okay, are you going to follow hyung from now on?” Mansae just nodded again. “Aigoo Mansae-yah, what would hyung do to you?” 

Krystal's heart definitely melted with the scene. She can't help but to look at the situation that unfolded in front of her. Myungsoo was definitely showing a different side of him. 

“I’m very sorry for the trouble that we caused. Mansae-yah, say sorry to them also.” Myungsoo put Mansae down. “I’m sorry omonim, abeoji, noonas. And hyung too.”

A chorus of “It’s okay Mansae-yah.” Could then be heard. 

“Okay, now that’s settled. I think we should at least rest for a while before we would have to cook.” Young Chul ushered them all back to the living room. 

“I have an idea! Since you guys are staying, this should be a special! We should cook Mansae-yah’s favorite dishes. And I mean it when I say dishes.” Yoon Ji was squealing while thinking of it. 

“Omonim, I think that would be difficult.” Myungsoo was just starting to talk when Mansae was ready with his answer.

“Cereals! With milk!” 

“See? I think your original plan of fried chicken would be the best, eommonim.” 

“Nonsense. I’ll make a list of the ingredients for everything that I could think of. Sooyeon, Soojung you’re buying them.” Yoon Ji was back again with having a paper and pen in her hands. 

“Omma, I can’t.” Both Jessica and Krystal said at the same time. 

“And why not?” Yoon Ji’s eyebrows shot up with their answer. “I don't understand why you hate doing groceries. You two are known for shopping all over.”

“Omma, those are clothes.” Jessica was first to talk, “I can buy you a whole set of wardrobe and I won't know a lettuce from a cabbage.” 

“Fine Krystal, you’ going.” Jessica dongsaeng who was stuck with the chore.

“Omma, half of the things you're writing now are so foreign to me. I can cook but buying them is definitely different.” Krystal was babbling to also get out from it. 

“No more excuses. At least there's 50% chance that we get to cook.” Krystal was groaning and pouting at the same time it was even possible.

Myungsoo smiled when he saw what was happening. “Maybe I could come with Soojung-ah, if that is alright ominim?” 

“You know how to cook?” It was almost a chorus from the Jungs. Myungsoo just nodded and sheepishly smiled, “I had to learn when I was living alone.”

“See Charlie? That’s how you should do it! This man is the perfect husband or son-in-law!” Yoon Ji squealed again. Krystal hiding her face on her palms again. 

“Anyway, here you go. Have fun, drive safe.” The list was a whole paper full, front and back. 

Feeling the awkwardness that could happen if it was just the two of them, Krystal suggested that they bring Mansae along. She thought her family would greatly oppose it and make some reason that they should only be the two of them. 

“Gomdori definitely deserves a breathing room.” Young Chul used that excuse.

As the three were going out the door, Mansae looked back and showed a thumbs up sign to the older Jungs. Definitely something was brewing.

 

After helping Mansae at the back seat and putting his seatbelt on, Myungsoo opened the door for Krystal. The cap that Krystal was wearing was definitely a good way to hide the blush creeping up her face. And on the other side, the smile on Myungsoo’s face never seemed to disappear. 

“Oppa, again, I’m so sorry.” Krystal took of her cap and fastened her seatbelt. He started driving out.

“Jungie, how many times should I tell you that it's okay?” Myungsoo smiled.

“Jungie?” Krystal's eyes widened.

“Oh, is that not okay? I thought it was a cute nickname, but if you're uncomfortable I’ll stop.” Myungsoo was worried.

“Aniyo. It was just the first time someone called me that. Thank you.” Krystal does not know why but she had the need to thank him. 

“In that case, you should think a nickname for me too. As a revenge for calling you Jungie.” 

“I could call you L-ssi.” Krystal was playing with him.

“Aish. Just go back to oppa then. That’s better.” Myungsoo pouted but smiled as well.

“I was just joking. Hmm, Soongie-oppa? Nah, I can't think of it.” Krystal was laughing at Myungsoo's face turning to a pout again.

“No, no, no. Soongie-oppa. Use that one.” Myungsoo was smiling and reached out for the music player. 

F(x)’s Hot Summer came to play. 

“Ahh, oppa. Change it.” Krystal was reaching to change it but Myungsoo playfully swatted her hand.

“Why? This is a cool song.” He even did the dance and sang to it. 

“Oppa! You're driving! Stop that!” 

“Nope. Not going to Jungie. Unless you call me the nickname you just made.” He continued on dancing. He was being careful as you just need one hand on the steering wheel. 

“But oppa, it's embarrassing.”

“Hot summer. Hot hot summer.” He keeps on humming and then Krystal's part came. “Sunglass” he did the motion and this one needed both hands. Krystal was screaming inside.

“Soongie-oppa!”

Immediately, Myungsoo straightened up and pushed next on the music player. “See? Not so hard, right?”

“Oppa, you’re weird.” 

“Was that just oppa that I heard? Oh, I'm feeling a dance coming again. A one- a two-” 

“Soongie-oppa” Krystal let out a sigh. “Seriously Soongie-oppa, you act just like Mansae.” And with the mention of his name, the kid became hyper again. 

“Hyung! Play noona’s voice again.” He was trying so hard to imitate the hand movements that he saw Myungsoo was doing.

“Sorry Jungie, it's Mansae’s request.” And with that, the two kids jammed to Hot Summer again. 

 

As soon as they got outside the supermarket, Krsytal was looking through her bag.

“What’s the matter?” Myungsoo was busy taking out his sunglasses.

“I think I forgot my sunglasses.” 

“Oh, you want to use mine?” Myungsoo gave his to Krystal.

“But what would you use Soongie-oppa?” 

“This one” Myungsoo reached out to get the hat from Krystal’s head. “And this one” he took out a pair of prescription glasses.

“Oh, I never knew Soongie-oppa wore glasses.” Krystal had to admit, the face that she was seeing right now. Myungsoo was so cute. 

“Fake ones. For emergency purposes like this. When Jungie forgot ro bring her sunglasses.”

“Hey, it was you who wanted me to wear this. I can use this” Krystal took off the glasses from him and the cap. Then she put the sunglasses on Myungsoo. 

“See? This looks better on me. Right, Mansae-yah?” Krystal turned around to look at Mansae. 

“Wow, pretty noona is more pretty now!” Mansae was reaching out to the both of them.

“Okay, kiddo let’s get you out of your seat belt.” Myungsoo hurriedly went out to open the door on Krystal’s door first.

“Soongie-oppa, no need to do that. Just go help Mansae-yah.” Krystal was almost pushing Myungsoo away.

“Not a chance. As I could see, you’re going to open it yourself. This kid could wait.” A protest of a “Hyung! Hurry!” Was heard. 

They went inside and let Mansae sit on the push cart. They thought that in that way, Mansae won’t be running around the store.

“Soongie-oppa, aish it’s still weird to say that. Oppa, I trust you that you know all the things listed here?” Krystal began to push the pushcart but Myungsoo took it from her hands. “Why? Soongie-oppa let me do that since I won’t be very helpful today trust me.” 

“Not listening Jungie. I am more comfortable pushing this thing around. Both the pushcart and this kid.” Myungsoo began to tease his brother. Mansae just maerong-ed her hyung. “Hyung, let’s get cereal.” 

“Mansae, no. We have to buy the vegetables first.”

“Then we’ll get cereals?”

“No, meat first.”

“Then the cereals?”

“Jungie, do we have to buy something else first?

“Bread, oppa. We need bread and some seasonings. And some drinks. Ice.” The both of them could see the gloomy look on Mansae. “Oppa, I think I made Mansae, sad.” Krystal was slightly panicking as she remembered what happened in the house earlier.

“Aniyo. Mansae-yah if you get sad, we won’t buy cereals anymore. Got it?” Myungsoo was steering the pushcart around. 

“Mansae is not sad! Right, noona?” Mansae was bouncing up and down again. “Are we buying cereals now?” 

“This is going to be a long shopping won’t it, oppa?” Krystal was still happy with what was happening. 

“Did I just hear ‘oppa’ now? Mansae-yah, do you still remember noona’s song from the car? Let’s do it again. A one- a two…”

“I said Soongie-oppa. No need to dance here Soongie-oppa, Mansae-yah.” Krystal was definitely having a headache being with these two. 

“That’s a good Jungie. Now let’s get those carrots.”