Failed Plans

Hired Babysitter

“Oppa, you don't have to stay. I’ll just talk to my family. Even I have to admit that they're too much.” Krystal and Myungsoo were the last to go inside the house. 

“Aniyo, I think it would be fun. And honestly, I'm hungry too. If that is okay that is?” Myungsoo was back again to touching his nape. 

“Don't worry oppa, I think that would be the weirdest thing for the day.” Oh she was so wrong. As soon as they reached the living room, everyone was seated at the couch. The coffee table was moved to the side so there was a big space in the middle.

“I don't think so Soojungie.” Myungsoo was trying to hide his laughter as Krystal was groaning.

“Mom. Dad. Unnie. What’s happening here?” Krystal was seething the words. But as expected it did not affect anyone in her family. 

“Why us? Mansae was the one who mentioned that his brother is a great dancer and singer.” Yoon Ji was calm while she was talking. There were audible silent “why's” clearly from an exasperated Krystal.

“Yup! Hyung always dance the best!” Mansae rushed to Myungsoo’s legs and he quickly picked up his brother. “Right, hyung? And you always sing at home.” 

“So that’s settled. Kim Myungsoo treat this space right here as your performance stage. Or audition stage.” Jessica started to hook the speakers to her phone. “What song do you need?” 

“All of you guys are out of your mind. No one-” Krystal started to talk but Myungsoo stopped her. “Aniyo, it's okay. It's been a while since I danced, so I'm apologizing in advance if I'm a but rusty.” Myungsoo let Mansae down and moved to the “stage”. Krystal then just sat down next to Mansae, but was quickly pushed by her parents to sit in the center. 

“Okay, Please say something about yourself.” Young Chul was starting it like an audition. Before Myungsoo could even ask, Jessica quipped up. “Our dad was a scout for talents back then.” 

Myungsoo could only smile and when he looked at Krystal she was mouthing words in the line of “I’m so sorry oppa.” And he mouthed back a quick “Don't worry. It's fine.” 

Myungsoo bowed down to each one. “Hello my name is Kim Myungsoo. I am currently in a group called Infinite where I am one of the lead vocals. I just turned 25 last March 13. I have a younger brother named Kim Mansae and my parents are living in Daegu.”

“Okay Kim Myungsoo-shi what would you show us today?” Young Chul now had some papers provided by Yoon Ji, she was passing them around together with markers. “And as you can see here, we would score you and that would be the deciding factor on what you could eat for lunch.” He was talking very seriously. Myungsoo’s eyes widened and felt the gravity of the stage performance.

“Neh, I understand. I would be performing two songs. The first one would be a ballad originally sung by Shinhwa-sunbaenim, the title is “Heaven”. And the next one would be our own song “Man In Love” where I would focus on the dance.” Jessica was busy finding the songs mentioned on her phone. When she did, she gave the ok sign to him. 

“Hyung! Use this!” Mansae took his water bottle and gave it to Myungsoo. Myungsoo smiled and thanked his brother.

First song: Shinhwa -Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFit042hg4

My steps Again Again 
Go right back to the start 
Things don’t go the way it’s said
I can’t hate you 

My feelings walk, walk and walk
However much I walk, I end up turning back
My sight is filled with you from that moment
Like that moment, yeah


After Myungsoo’s performance. Everyone clapped. “Okay, thank you Kim Myungsoo-shi. Any reason for choosing that particular song?”

“Oh, I just really like Shinhwa-sunbaenim’s songs and really inspired by their story. Recently I was listening to their new album.

“So no past relationships that hurt you like this?” Young Chul was still serious.

“No, sir. I’m hoping that when I do have someone, it won't be like that.” Myungsoo was touching his nape again. 

“Okay, dad. I think that's enough personal questions.” Krystal was dreading to where that conversation might lead to.

“Fine. For now. Okay, shall we see the next performace?” Young Chul took down some notes, so did Yoon Ji and Jessica. Even Mansae. Myungsoo sheepishly looked at Krystal, who again was mouthing “I am so sorry for this.” Myungsoo just smiled.

Second song: Infinite- Man In Love
https://youtu.be/AYrHuQYs-WE

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love

When a man’s in love, when a man’s in love

My cheeks get redder and my head slowly drops
I’m only looking at you as I’m on my way
My confession gushes out as if I’ve been crazily running
When a man’s in love, even if he loses ten to gain one
He gives all he has as if today is the last day so he won’t regret – all I have

Again, everyone clapped for his performance. “It is so much more amazing seeing it live and up close.” Yoon Ji was truly amazed with Myungsoo. 

“Ah, thank you very much.” Myungsoo kept on bowing and bowing to them.

“Are all the votes in?” Young Chul looked at eveyone and by this time even Krystal was writing on her paper. Myungsoo laughed a little. “Kim Myungsoo-shi are you ready for rhe results?” Myungsoo does not eve know but he does feel nervous waiting. “In one, two, three.” Everyone turned their paper.

“100” - Krystal
“Ok (drawing of the ok sign)” - Jessica
“Pass (check mark)” -Young Chul
“Accepted!!!” - Yoon Ji
“Hyung jjang!!!” - Mansae

Myungsoo let out a breath that he did not even know he was holding. And jumped and clapped with the results. As soon as he did so, he became shy.

“Thank you judges. Thank you Mr.Jung, Mrs. Jung, sunbaenims (Krystal and Jessica), and Mansae-yah.” Myungsoo bowed down to them.

“Oh please, can you just please call me eomeoni?” Yoon Ji was dreamily looking at Myungsoo.

“Omma!” Krystal was again groaning in her hands. Myungsoo could not help but laugh. 

“Why? I don't have two sons to call me omma. I want to know the feeling.” Yoon Ji was serious, but deep inside she was jumping with mirth.

“If that is okay with you eomeoni.” Myungsoo shyly said. Which in turn released some squeals from the woman.

“Then who am I to hinder you from calling me abeoji? You too Mansae-yah, just call me abeoji.” Young Chul’s attention was on getting the kid’s grip to loosen on Gomdori. 

“But you said to call you Charlie-hyung?” Mansae looked at the older man with confusion.

“Mansae! You should address them properly, okay? Not hyung.” Myungsoo can’t help to facepalm. Same goes for Krystal.

“Well, I did say that. Don’t worry Myungsoo-yah, I was the one who said he should call me that. Just change to abeoji okay?” Young Chul just smiled at everybody.

“And, I don’t buy that you call Soojung as sunbae, so don’t call me that as well, got it?” Jessica was talking to Mansae and through him, found out that Myungsoo calls her Soojungie or Soojung-ah.

“Now that we know who this young man is, how about we eat, Mansae-yah?” Yoon Ji turned to the kid.  Who just beamed when he heard about food. “Can we have cereal after? Yoon Ji-omonim?” 
Though bewildered with the thought, Yoon Ji just nodded to the kid. The four people went on their way to the kitchen. As soon as they were alone, Krystal spoke up.

“Oppa, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what got into them to make this to you. I think this is the first time that they got to have some visitors. They really should have more friends over. But, I was just babbling and I really am sorry, you don’t have to stay for lunch. I’ll take them out of it -” Again, Krystal was cut off by Myungsoo holding her shoulders.

“Soojung-ah, it’s okay. I had fun ‘performing’ for your parents.” Myungsoo smiled at her and took the box of macaroons. “And by the way, I think I deserve that lunch. Never would I have thought I would rap for other people.” 

“That was really cool. Really made my mind to write 100 on my paper.” 

“Really, not the dancing part? Here I thought I was offering that one to you. My heart aches now Soojungie.” Krystal was completely flabbergasted with what he said, but both of them know that they were just joking, or at least trying to hide it in a joke. “And by the way, have you guys done this for a while now? It seems your family is very prepared.” 

“I thought they stopped when we were like 10?” Krystal just hid her face in her palms again. “I am so embarrassed right now. Why are you guys feeling as if this is not embarrassing?” 

Myungsoo just laughed and pried Krystal’s hands away from her face. “Ah, Soojungie. Like I said, don’t worry about it, okay? And we should definitely go to the kitchen now, your family and my brother are spying on us from the door.” Krystal turned around and indeed saw the four peeping at them. 

“Your family won’t kill me, right?” 

“No, but I would.”