Plus One

Hired Babysitter

“So, tell me again how you managed to bring a kid as your plus one?” Krystal’s dad, Charlie (Young Chul), embraced her daughter as Krystal and Mansae came, who was holding on Gomdori very tightly. 

“I see that Mom had told you guys that I finally used that term.” She then bent down to talk to Mansae. “Mansae-yah, introduce yourself, this is my appa.” She tried to lift his arms so that she could get Gomdori. 

Mansae bowed his head before talking to Young Chul. “Annyeonghasaeyo, I’m Kim Mansae. I’m 5 years old. Please treat me kindly.” Mansae was formal in talking with 

Young Chul also bent down so that he could see Mansae more. “Annyeonghasaeyo Mansae-yah. It’s nice to meet you. I’m Young Chul-samchon. Or Young Chul-harabeoji. Or Young Chul-hyung. Young Chul-appa. Charlie.  You choose, okay?” Mansae was surprised with what Young Chul was saying. 

“Appa, stop scaring the kid. Mansae-yah, just call him ahjussi if you want.” Krystal stuck her tongue at her father. “Anyway, can we go inside? Or are all of you going to scare the kid with what to call you guys?”

“I was just joking. Come in, you two. Your sister would be late, but it’s still quite early, maybe we can wait for a few hours right?” Young Chul then lifted up Mansae and started to play with him. “Go there in the kitchen and help your mom. Meanwhile, Mansae and I would have our fun with Gomdori. 

“Mansae-yah, go play with this ahjussi for a while, okay?” 

“Okay, pretty noona!”

Krystal went to the kitchen and saw that her mother was cooking up something. 

“Hey, mom. Need any help?” Krystal’s mom, Christine (Yoon Ji), turned around to look at her daughter. She quickly wiped her hands on a towel and embraced her. 

“No, I am still disappointed in you for fooling us all.” She then dragged Krystal to sit with her on the dining table.

“Not my fault that you quickly shut off your ears after I said that I’m bringing somebody and that he was a boy. I even said “boy” to somehow hint that he is a kid.

“Well, it has been quite a long time that you have brought someone.” Yoon Ji looked at the living area where Young Chul and Mansae were busy playing with the dog. “How did you get this kid? I’m hoping that you did not steal him nor adopted him? Krystal, you’re still young, you’re still going to get married and have your own kids. You don’t have to rush into things.” Yoon Ji placed her hands on Krystal’s.


“Mom, if anything, aren’t you the one bugging me to find a boyfriend already and get married?”

“So it is true? Honey, I know that it may have been hard for you, but we’re here. The whole Jung clan is here for you, okay? Or don’t tell me, he is actually your son? Krystal Jung Soo Jung, we did not raise you to hide secrets from us? Who’s the father?” Yoon Ji was bit by bit standing up as she was talking.

“Aigoo. Mom, take a deep breath and listen to the story. Okay? No interrupting. Just keep on breathing.”

Krystal explained to her mom the situation she was in and how Myungsoo just asked for a favor from her. 

“Oh, why didn’t you just say so!” Yoon Ji stood up to continue cooking. “So that’s why that kid looks familiar.”

“Yup, he’s Myungsoo-oppa’s younger brother. And he said he’ll stop by here later.” 

Yoon Ji dropped the spoon that she was using. 

“Mom, what are you doing? You’re making a mess.” Krystal quickly took out some paper towels to wipe the soup that her mother spilled. 

“Myungsoo, as in Kim Myungsoo of Infinite is coming here?” Yoon Ji’s face was blank at first so Krystal could only nod. “Kim Myungsoo as in the actor in the drama you were in?” Blank face and nodding again.

A few seconds passed and Yoon Ji finally broke out into a wide smile. “Oh my. Honey, why didn’t you tell me beforehand that he was coming? I did not clean the house! I did not do my make-up! What if he does not eat these kind of food? Ah Soojung! Quickly help me to take out the steak!” Yoon Ji was agitated. 

Krystal had to calm her mother down. “Mom. Mom. Listen to me. Myungsoo-oppa is just going to drop by to pick up his brother okay? Mansae is the only one staying here for the whole day. No need to prepare. And besides, he’ll probably eat whatever you cooked. He’s not picky.”

“Oh and you know that because?” With a knowing smile, Yoon Ji started to daughter. “No wonder you’re wearing something so fancy today.” She looked at Krystal’s outfit for the day. She was wearing a white lace top, ¾ beige jacket, black fitted jeans. “I saw that you were wearing those white ankle strap heels too. Are you guys going on a date after? You can definitely leave his brother here with us.”
Krystal was mad blushing at that moment. She can’t even start to think about words. “Aniyooooo… Omma… You got it all wrong.”

“Okay, so explain to me what is happening?” Yoon Ji’s smile never left her face again.

“Mom, I’m visiting you guys, is that not an acceptable reason to dress up?” Krystal was fidgeting.

“Thousands of times you came here wearing shorts and shirts. Sometimes even sports clothes.”

“So, that’s why I want to start now. And as I said before, he’s only going to pick up his brother. Okay, got it mom?” Krystal blew out a sigh. 

“Whatever you say, honey.” 

“I don’t like that tone of yours, mom. That means you’re up to no good.”

“Oh, don’t mind me sweety. You can just go ahead and play with Mansae. I’ll join you guys in a bit.”

With another sigh, Krystal just continued to walk back to the living room.

It seems that although the between the two are quite far, Young Chul and Mansae are getting along well. 

“You guys, you need to let Gomdori breathe at least for awhile.” Without any other toys around, Gomdori was the closest Mansae could have. “Why don’t we watch some TV?” Krystal already clicked on the remote control. “Mansae-yah, what do you want to watch?” 

As if thinking very hard, “Can we watch videos of hyung? Back at home we always watch hyung on TV.” 

Young Chul picked Mansae up to let him sit on the couch. “You watch your hyung on TV?”

“Yup. He sings and dances also. Like this.” Mansae stood up on the couch and tried to do some dance moves. “Something like that. I forgot them already.”

On this moment, Yoon Ji also joined the three. Mansae quickly stood properly and bowed down before introducing himself. Yoon Ji did the same. 

“The hyung you were saying earlier is Kim Myungsoo, right, Mansae-yah?” Yoon Ji sat next to Mansae and Young Chul. Krystal still standing up and holding the remote. 
“How did you know my hyung?”

“I also watch your hyung when he dances and sing. Also in dramas.”

“We’re talking about the Kim Myungsoo that Soojung acted with right? Just so we’re in the same page.” Young Chul quipped up.

“Yup. That’s the one, right Soojung?” The knowing smile of her mother was back again. 

“Yes. And don’t even try to get dad into your plot.” Krystal sat down to the couch perpendicular to the one where the three are occupying. 

“Anyway, how about we watch your hyung’s drama? Soojung noona is there also.” Yoon Ji turned to Mansae.

“Can we? I wanted to watch hyung’s dramas but it’s always late and mommy would scold me.” Mansae jumped up and down again. 

Krystal suddenly remembered the drama, and all the filming that they did. Feeling the heat creep up on Krystal’s face again, she quickly said, “But Mansae-yah, you won’t understand them.”

“Okay. Can we watch Blues Clues, then?” Mansae was still a kid and could be easily tricked. Well, that’s what Krystal thought. With the right people, the kid could actually be the key to Krystal’s non-existent love life.