The Guest

Hired Babysitter

“Is that him now?” Yoon Ji stood abruptly when she heard the doorbell. 

Honestly, Krystal did not know what to feel at that moment. Of course he wanted to see Myungsoo too, but knowing the state that her mother is in now, she might die of embarrassment. Her mom pushed her to open the door as she zoomed to look at the mirror to check her make up. With a fast beating heart, she slowly opened the door. 

“Aish! What took you so long to open the door!” Sadly, or gratefully, it was just Jessica. 

“Well unnie, maybe if you were here, maybe two hours ago, we would have been to sleepy to open it.” Krystal hugged her sister and dragged her inside. Mentally thanking the heavens for a problem sidestepped.

“Why is mom fixing her face?” Jessica first saw her mother looking at herself on the mirror, then to the kid next to her father. “And why is there a kid here? I don’t remember having a younger brother?” Lastly, it traveled to the TV. “Is Dad watching Blues Clues?” When she looked at her sister, “And why are you so dressed up? You guys changed so much in that two hours that I was not here?” Jessica was definitely puzzled with what she was seeing in their household. “Would someone care to answer?”

“I thought you were Soojung’s plus one.” Yoon Ji sat down herself again on the couch. Krystal audibly groaned.

“Mom, he’s not my plus one. Mansae is.”

“So we’re waiting for a ‘he’. Noted. And who is this Mansae?” Jessica looked at the kid next to her father.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Kim Mansae. I am 5 years old.” Mansae bowed down again as he introduced himself. Mansae was quiet since Jessica’s gaze was on him. Her eyes were quite scary. 

“Unnie! Lose that ice eyes for a while. You’re scaring Mansae-yah!” Krystal nudged her sister. Jessica then seemed to be lifted from her intense observation of the kid.

“Huh? No, I was just thinking that he looked like someone. Anyways, Annyeonghaseyo Mansae-yah. I’m Jessica-noona.” Jessica smiled at him. 

“Jeshhshi...ishca...jeshh..” Mansae was learning how to pronounce the foreign word.

“Aigoo, this cute kid. Just call her Sooyeon-noona. Is that easier?” Young Chul just ruffled the kid’s hair.

“Yup. It is. Annyeonghaseyo Sooyeon-noona.” Mansae’s attention was now back to the TV. 

“But, he really does look like someone, right? Or am I imagining it?” Jessica was still bewildered. Krystal was about to talk but was beaten by her mother.

“Oh! You might know his brother, Kim Myungsoo of Infinite.” Yoon Ji answered and threw some knowing glances to Krystal. Krystal in turn groaned again.

“Is that so? And am I missing something here or is this the same Kim Myungsoo that you had a cru-” Krystal quickly plastered a hand on Jessica’s mouth.

“Continue that sentence or I would…” Krystal was actually pleading for her sister to stop. 

“Do what to me? It’s the truth. You were talking to me about him so much-” Krystal slammed her hand on her sister’s mouth.

“Unniiieee! That was a secret!” Krystal hissed at her sister.  

“Wait a minute, so what I was feeling true? My Soojungie is now liking a man?” Yoon Ji was squealing with happiness. “You hear that Charlie? Soojungie is all grown up.” Her mom was actually wiping tears from her eyes.

“I have to admit, I always feared the time when my girls are going to get married.” Her dad too was joining the fun.

“What are all of you saying? Have you forgotten that his brother is here? Save me some embarrassment, could you?” Krystal was red all over the face and just slumped down to the couch.

Yoon Ji took it as a chance to daughter more. “Let’s ask Mansae-yah.” With the mention of his name, Mansae looked at the adult.

“Mansae-yah, don’t you think your hyung and Soojung-noona look good together?” Although he is young, it seems that Mansae understood the question perfectly. 

“Yup. Hyung and Pretty Noona look good together. Especially when hyung looks at pretty noona.” With that, the kid turns his attention to the dog that was sleeping next to him. Gomdori did not have the chance to escape.

Krystal just buried her face on her hands. Jessica sat next to her. “Aww my cute dongsaeng is in love. Don't worry, unnie is here to help you.”

“Omma too.”

“Appa is supporting you too.”

“Mansae-yah too” it looks as if the kid just followed them like a game.

“Aniyoooo. Don’t do anything. Copy?” Krystal could not believe what was happening. 

Just then the doorbell rang again. Everybody threw knowing glances at Krystal. Except Mansae who was busy feeding Gomdori.

“Don’t worry sweetie, we’ll act as if we don’t know.”

“We’ll play it cool.” 

“Go and open the door and let him in!” It does not matter who was saying which, in Krystal's mind, she is doomed. With all the courage she mustered, she stood up and opened the door. 

Myungsoo was at the door, holding two big boxes of macaroons. He was wearing a thin striped grey button down shirt with some dark jeans and white sneakers. 

“Myungsoo-oppa! I thought you’d arrive later.” Krystal was battling with herself internally to not stare at the man before her. 

“Well, the meeting was shorter than expected. And maybe I did pull some strings so that it would be so.” He smiled at her and lifted the boxes he was holding. “And as promised, big box of macaroons.”

Just as Krystal was about to reply, her mother peeked at the door, full on acting mode on. “Oh, and who would this handsome man be? Are you one of Soojung’s friends? You should come in, it’s hot outside, I don't know why Soojung had not let you in yet.”

“Ah, yes. I’m one of her friends. We used to work together.” He politely bowed to the older Jung woman and greeted her. “But, I’m just here to pick up my brother and drop by these macaroons for Soojung-shi.” Myungsoo was shy all of a sudden as the Jung woman was very happy.

“Nonsense! It’s lunchtime already and I know you haven’t eaten yet. Have lunch with us.” The face of the older Jung was really authoritative although very friendly. It was hard to say no.

“Ah, there’s no need Mrs. Jung. I think I bothered your time enough with you taking care of your brother.” Krystal was just silent, afraid she would release some teeny high pitched voice with what her mother was saying.

Then a voice from inside was heard, nearing the door. “Nonsense. You’re very welcome to stay. And you’re wrong to think that you could just take this kid just like that.” The said voice appeared as a tall and handsome man carrying a 5 year old kid on his shoulders, which in turn was holding on a very stressed out Gomdori. Myungsoo quickly bowed to the older man and greeted him.

“Hyung! We’re going to eat here right? Yoon Ji-eommonim cooked food that smells good.” 

Then a final voice appeared, “See, Myungsoo-yah, even your brother wants you guys to eat here.” Jessica then smiled at her sister seeing the dread she was in for.

Myungsoo bowed again and not forgetting to greet his sunbaenim.

Myungsoo could only stare at the people around him. He settled to look at Krystal for some explanation.

“Um, this house rarely see other men than my dad, so I guess they're just excited. I’m sorry for this, you don’t have to stay. Right, omma?” Krystal was trying to tell her mother through telepathy that she should stop. But she failed.

“But, it’s true. I’m tired of hearing the same old high pitched voices of my girls. It would do this house good to hear some young man’s voice.” Her mother pleaded through her eyes.

Myungsoo was left with no other choice. “If you put it that way Mrs. Jung, then I’ll be happy to stay.” Myungsoo was scratching his nape. Clear tell sign that he was nervous. But he was having fun at the same time. He does not know why but he feels that he would have a great time with the Jungs.