Parental Guidance

Hired Babysitter

 

 

Week after the first incident. Please bear in mind that Mansae had then dropped by often and ate Krystal’s boxes of cereals.

“Yeah mom, I’ll drop by tomorrow… Tell unnie not to be late also… Mom, we waited for two hours last time, I was so hungry… Of course I’m not bringing anyone… Well, you’re not the only one relieved it's not true. Okay, bye mom. Love you both.”

Krystal was wearing her headphones while talking to her mother and at the same time sweeping the floor. Although her parents wanted her to just get a helper to clean the house, it is usually already clean even before the helper comes in. Eventually they just let Krystal do all the cleaning.

As she was just cleaning, she was juat wearing some old training shorts with an oversized shirt tucked in at the front, hair spun on a messy bun. She put the broom and vacuum inside the closet and sprawled on the couch. Just then her puppy, Gomdori, jumped on her side.

“Gomdori, can’t you just be my boyfriend?” Gomdori in turn just stared blankly at his owner. “Wasn’t there a movie where their dog becomes a human? Aren’t you one of those?” With a bark, Gomdori ran to her food bowl, clearly telling Krystal that his hunger is more important than her ridiculousness. Without any other choice, she followed Gomdori to give him some treats.

Sighing, she sat down next to the eating Gomdori. “Can I just be a dog then? I would just have to eat, sleep, play. Your mom won’t pester you to have a love life.” She remembered the recent rumours that sprang up that she was dating Kai. As much as she just wants to live in that lie, she just feels that there is something missing. She always wanted someone at least two years older than her, someone who knows more than her. Not in that kind of way. She quickly shook her head and stood up, massaging her face to take out the creeping blush.

“Okay, Gomdori. This is yours and mom’s fault. I’m just going to have to focus on things more important… like… like…” her head was looking for things to do, sadly every spot was already clean. “A week into my vacation and I already have nothing to do. Great.”

Just then her doorbell rang, and without thinking of her state, she quickly opened the door to a Kim Myungsoo carrying his baby brother on his back. Mansae then was holding a small box of macaroons.

“Hi pretty noona!” Mansae was beaming and waving the box of macaroons. “This is for you!”

“Oppa! Mansae-ah! What is this for?” She accepted the box and ushered them inside. It was not awkward for them to do this anymore.

“Mansae-ah, could you tell Soojungie-noona why you have that box?” Myungsoo sat down on the floor so that Mansae could get off.

“Yup! Soojungie-noona, hyung and I bought this for you. Hyung said I was eating too much of your cereals and since you were kind we thought of giving you a gift.” Although this was what Mansae was saying, he is still a 5-year old kid and ever so often he would slur his words.

“Ah, gwiyeobda Mansae-yah!” Soojung bent down to pinch his cheeks. “But you did not have to do that. Even if Myungsoo-oppa said so, okay?” She turned her face to Myungsoo hoping that through telepathy, he would understand that he does not need to do that.

Myungsoo was just smiling and shrug his shoulders. “But we really are thankful Soojung-ah.” As if he was waiting for a right moment, he stood up and shyly said, “By the way, can I talk to you for a second?”

Krystal was surely taken aback by what was happening. “Sure, we can talk in the kitchen.” She smiled at him seeing that he was quite nervous. “Mansae-yah, do you want to play with Gomdori? He really missed you.” Mansae was already running to bother Gomdori.

Myungsoo and Krystal went to the kitchen and she opened the box of macaroons. “So, oppa, what was it?” Myungsoo was just staring at Krystal who was eating already.

“Huh?” Myungsoo just blinked as he saw that Krystal was looking at him.

“Oppa, what was it that you were talking about?” Krystal laughed a little with Myungsoo’s bewildered expression.

“Ah. Sorry about that. I need a favor from you Soojung-ah.” Myungsoo was scratching his nape as he was talking.

“Looks like whatever it is, I would have to do it. I already ate your bribes.” Krystal was trying her best to keep the mood of the conversation up. Finally Myungsoo cracked a smile and laughed lightly.

“No, no, no. This is not a bribe. Although if it would help, I can buy you more of that. But I would just need you to look after Mansae for tomorrow. We had a urgent meeting called tomorrow for Woollim, and its in Jeonju. I was kind of hoping that you could keep Mansae busy. He kinds of hate it when I have to leave for work.” Myungsoo was even pulling the puppy dog eyes.

“Oppa, as much as those eyes work, I’m going to visit my parents tomorrow.”

“Oh, okay. That’s okay. I have to find a way to bring Mansae.” Myungsoo was trying to hide his sad face. And Krystal couldn’t take it.

“But oppa, if it is okay with you and Mansae, I could bring him with me.”

“Soojung-ah, no need. It would be a bother to you and your parents. I’ll just..”

“No, oppa my parents really love kids and I’m sure they would adore playing with Mansae.”

“Really? I’ll drive to your parents’ as soon as the meeting finishes. I promise that.” Myungsoo even stood up and hugged Krystal, “Just text me the address. I’ll even bring a big box of macaroons.”

“Oppa, my parents live just here in Incheon. It’s a long drive from Jeonju. I can take Mansae back even before you get there.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll make sure to be there.” Myungsoo was still not letting Krystal go. Just as he was about to, Mansae rushed in the kitchen holding Gomdori.

“Gomdol-ah, see I told you they were doing something and did not want us to know. Noona, hyung! Gomdori and I want hugs too!”

“No way, pretty noona is just mine.” Myungsoo had let go of Krystal but still had his arms on her shoulders. “You’re squeezing Gomdori so much, i don’t want you to do that to Soojungie.” Krystal has to admit that the nicknames the two siblings have given her are growing on her.

“Aniyo, Mansae-yah. Come here, I need your hugs more than Myungsoo-oppa’s.” Krystal bent down to welcome the running toddler.

Myungsoo also kneeled and playfully tugged on Krystal. “Mansae-yah, you would have Pretty noona all day tomorrow, just give her to me today.” Mansae was unwilling to let Krystal go and it took a few seconds for him to think of what his hyung just said.

“I can play with Soojungie-noona tomorrow?” Mansae’s eyes were bright and full of joy. “Noona, can I also play with Gomdori?”

Mansae was practically bouncing up and down that Myungsoo had to take Gomdori out of his arms to free the dog. Krystal was trying to hold down the jumping kid. “But, we’re going to my parents’ house, is that okay with you?”  

“Noona’s mommy and daddy?”

“Yup, and noona’s unnie also. Do you want to meet them?” Mansae was silent and was thinking and pouted his lips. He then looked at Myungsoo.

“Mansae-yah, is it okay with you to stay with noona tomorrow? Hyung just needs to meet some people and he would be with you guys as soon as he can, okay?”

“Gomdori is also going to be there right?” And with that, Mansae was jumping up and down again.