IX

Unpleasantly Beautiful

HELLO!! Here's the new chapter guys! 2 more chapters and I think we're done hehehe! and I will never stop thanking you guys for reading my fic! I feel honored! Thanks guys you're the best! XOXO!

 

 

“He asked you that?” Jaehyun listened to Erin on his phone.

“...”

“Wow, okay,” Jaehyun smiled, “that’s weird, but everything is fine now right?”

“...”

“Ahh I see,” Jaehyun smiled, “Erin-ah, oppa needs to go now, I will talk to you later okay?”

“...”

“See you!” Jaehyun hung up. He looked around and saw Johnny and Taeyong who were looking at him. He smiled, “you know, Erin said Mark just asked if me and Erin are dating”

“Why didn’t he ask you instead?” Johnny laughed, “he must be really jealous and at the same time, respect you so much”

“I don’t know, it’s just funny to me” Jaehyun laughed ,”she said they are going to make their project tomorrow so she might come here tomorrow”

“Ah really?” Taeyong asked, “so she’s not coming today?”

“I don’t think so” Jaehyun smiled, “how’s her audition? Do we have a date already?”

“We do but she told me that she’s still not sure” Johnny replied, “she needs to go back to Vancouver after her graduation and auditioning might be useless for her”

“Make sense” Jaehyun nodded, “but at least she can try”

“It’s her choice not ours” Taeyong replied, “lets not waste time”. Jaehyun nodded and started to practice with Taeyong and Johnny once again. After 30 minutes of practice, the practice room was opened and Mark was walking inside.

“Welcome back Mark!” Taeyong smiled, “how’s school today?”

“I set a date with Erin a while ago” Mark looked stiff and pale, “and now I’m nervous”

 

 

 

Everyone looked at him. Including Jaehyun. “But it’s only a food trip she said?” Jaehyun asked for clarification.

“She told you that?” Mark looked at Jaehyun, “and anyway, why are you calling her? I thought you guys are friends!”

“Well.. can’t I call her even if she’s my friend?” Jaehyun asked.

“Nice question” Johnny nodded, “if you like her so much, you just tell her man,” Johnny looked at Mark and smiled, “she’s not going to stay for a long time, she’s going back to Vancouver after graduation”

“She will?” Mark looked shocked. He couldn’t believe that his love would end so fast, “but I-“

“Yeah you haven’t done anything for her, that’s why you need to be hurry” Taeyong gave his advice, “I know this is a weird advice and leader should keep s from dating anyone, but for me, if you really like someone, you should fight for it”

“Although you’re only 20 so this could be only a crush” Johnny added, “but I don’t think so, it seems like she bother you so much”

“She does” Mark nodded. His thought was floating around. He looked at everyone inside of the room, “what should I do?”

“Well... I have an idea” Jaehyun smiled and started to tell Mark his plan.

 

***

 

Erin finished her activity at school pretty late that day. She went to get an extra practice for her vocalization and ended up finishing her training at 3PM. She looked at her phone, but no one was contacting her. She supposed t go with Mark that day to do their cooking project, but she forgot to inform Mark about it.

Erin went to her class only to found that everyone went home already. She took her phone once again and decided to text Mark instead.

 

Erin: Mark, are you still at school?

Mark: Where are you?

Erin: I’m sorry I forgot to tell you I have vocalization today L lets meet now if you’re still at school

Mark: Library

 

Erin ran immediately to the library near her class. the library was really empty, but somehow, she figured out Mark from afar. Mark was putting his head on the table looking at the window. She approached him and tapped his shoulder, “hey!” she greeted him.

“You should’ve tell me” Mark replied with a very short sentence. She knew he was angry.

“Mark.. I’m sorry” Erin tried to get his attention, but Mark still not looking at her. “Maaark...”

 

He did not reply.

 

“Minhyung-ah..” Erin called him. Mark listened to her. He himself finally found his weakspot for this girl. He just couldn’t handle it when she called him with his korean name and drop the formality between them.

 

“Hmm okay if you don’t want to talk to me lets just talk tomorrow” Erin sighed and stand up. She was about to leave when Mark looked at her with his flat face. “Mark!” She smiled. She acted cute and looked at Mark, “I’m sorry I’m sorry! I should’ve tell you first but I forgot anyway huhuhu I’m sorry please forgive me”

“Treat me something and I will” Mark looked serious.

“Alright!” Erin nodded. She acted cute once again and Mark found another weak spot for himself. ‘Why am I so weak in front of her these day?’ Mark mumbled inside his heart.

Mark stand up and walked first while Erin followed him from behind, “and don’t act cute again,” Mark coldly asked her, “you’re not cute”

 

***

 

Mark looked at Erin who was busy with her ice cream. Right now, they were at Gangnam looking for restaurant, but ended up eating ice cream in an ice cream parlor. Mark covered himself with a hat and glasses while Erin covered herself with a hat and a big coat. It was a windy day and Mark and Erin decided that they should change before they started their food trip.

“Erin-ah” Mark called her. He was nervous as hell but it seems like that Erin did not notice that at all from him, “how are you?”

“I’m good! And this pistachio ice cream is so good!” Erin praised her ice cream. She spooned her ice cream and gave it to Mark, “try it!”

“no I’m-“

“hurry upp!” Erin’s spoon was waiting and Mark finally ate the ice cream from Erin. It was indeed like a date, they just did not make it official. Mark ate the ice cream and looked at Erin’s face who was waiting for Mark’s reaction, “how was it Mark?” she asked.

“Yeah it’s nice” Mark smiled. He also gave a big spoon to Erin and offer the ice cream to Erin, “you should try this as well”

“Okay!” Erin smiled and ate the ice cream. She smiled out of excitement and nodded, “it’s really nice! I like that too!”

“Yeah” Mark smiled and ate his ice cream, “so Erin, I need to tell you something”

“What is it?” Erin looked confused.

“Well, you know that we ended our fake relationship just like that” Mark started to talk and mentioned their fake relationship, “I think we should do the last date, and break up after midnight...” Mark stopped and looked at Erin’s face, “you know, just to make it official”

 

“So it’s like ending a real relationship?” Erin asked him and Mark nodded.

“What do you say? Lets end the relationship nicely,” Mark smiled, “it would be good for us anyway right? We will be able to remember that our relationship ended nicely”

“Yeah I think so...” Erin seemed unsure, “but are you sure you’re okay with this?”

“Yeah! Definitely!” Mark smiled. He could not believe that he succeed on persuading the pretty girl in front of him to have a real date with him. “So, lets call this a date?”

“Lets do it!” Erin smiled, “only if you treat me nicely!”

“I will treat you like a girlfriend I will never own” Mark smiled bitterly. He knew that she might be the girlfriend that he will never have. “Should we go now?”

“Yeah sure! It’s almost 4 and we stil have a lot of things to do” Erin looked at her watch, “we should go to the restaurant that serve a good chicken with cheese!”

“Ohh I love that!” Mark seemed excited as well, “and maybe we can visit famous ddeokbokki restaurant cheongdam-dong”

“Yeah sure we can go there” Erin smiled. Erin ate her ice cream and looked at Mark who was looking at her, “what?” she asked.

“You look pretty” Mark smiled.

“Ya... what is that” Erin scolded Mark but still had her cheek blushed, “stop saying nonsense” Erin added.

“That is so not a nonsense” Mark smiled, “should we go now? We have 6 hours to finish our project” Mark stand up and gave his hands to Erin, “kajja Erin-ah,”

Erin was really touched. She never thought that Mark would to that. Erin smiled and hold Mark’s hand and walked with him.

 

***

 

“How’s the Ddeokbokki?” Mark asked Erin who was busy eating in front of him, “do you like it?”

“Yeah... But I don’t think we should cook this” Erin looked at Mark worried, “what do you think?”

“Erin-ah, are you messing with me?” Mark desperately asked Erin, “This is our fifth restaurant and it’s almost 7... I’m full already”

‘But.. But..” Erin pouted at Mark. They already went to 5 different restaurant but didn’t find a good food to make. “But I think this is too normal”

“Ya I told you I can’t stand you pouting like that” Mark smiled and Erin’s cheek. Their physical contact had been very brave since they went out from the ice cream shop from holding hands until hugging each other. Surprisingly, it’s always Mark who came to her. Erin herself, could only blush and receive the love and attention given by his fake boyfriend.

“Should we make a creative food instead?” Erin gave him an idea. Mark confused, “I mean, we make our recipe by ourselves”

“Not bad actually” Mark looked at Erin closer, “what do you have in mind?”

“Hm..” Erin took a break from eating and think for a while. Mark enjoying seeing Erin think, she seemed serious but cute at the same time. ‘How can I miss this kind of girl this whole time?’ he thought.

“Mark?” Erin called him.

“Yeah?” Mark smiled, “do you have anything in mind?”

“Have you tried flapper pie?” Erin smiled. She seemed to imagine the food in her head, “I really like that pie! It’s very sweet because of the-“

“Custard and Meringue”

Mark and Erin smiled after they mentioned the 2 main ingredients of their favorite pie. Mark looked at Erin, “so.. we’re making Flapper now? I like flapper as well!”

“Yeah maybe!” Erin smiled, “and we can also make Apple pie or Maple pie”

Mark looked at Erin and smiled, “we can make those, but if you want, it means we need to go to dorm now and make it there”

Erin widened her eyes. Mark shocked seeing her like that and tried to ask her, “you’re okay with that right?”

“Y-yeah I guess?” Erin smiled.

“I think we should do it there, hyungs will drive you home or manajer noona will” Mark smiled, “so.. are you in?”

Erin looked excited and nodded happily. “Okay, then I guess we need to shop before we get back”

“Sounds nice” Erin smiled.

Both of them decided to take a bus to Mark’s dorm and bought everything they need on their way back. It was a little bit late but Erin enjoyed her time with Mark. They shopped for their stuff and immediately went back to NCT’s dorm when they’re done.

“Don’t be shock with my members please” Mark warned Erin while they were in elevator waiting for them to arrive at NCT dorm. Mark looked at Erin who looked pretty although she’s tired. “Are you okay?” Mark asked.

“Yeah pretty much” Erin smiled.

“Do you want me to cook instead and do it with the others?” Mark offered her.

“Mark...” Erin looked like she’s about to laugh, “you can’t cook!”

Mark laughed, “I forgot you’re my fans before”

“Uhm about that...” Erin looked at Mark and smiled bitterly, “I need to tell you something”

“What is it?” Mark loked at Erin curious. Erin smiled bitterly and looked at him. She looked like she’s preparing for something and it made Mark curious even more. “Erin?”

“Mark, I’m not really a fan of you, I need to tell you the reason why I follow you around” Erin smiled, “you remember the first day at school during our first year?”

“Yeah I remember” Mark paid attention to Erin, “what’s wrong?”

“Well..” Erin looked worried, “I was crying at the rooftop because I have no friends, I came from Vancouver having no friends and I’m already...”

“What?”

“Well..Bullied” Erin smiled bitterly.

“By who?” Mark’s voice got colder. He knew someone could do that to Erin since Erin came from no agency and she’s really no and no art records. But right now, he really wanted to know who the person was.

“You might not want to know”

“By who?” Mark repeated his question. Erin knew Mark was really serious this time.

“Jaera”

 

 

Mark sighed. Jaera was mean to everyone because she came from one of the biggest company in Korea as well. He expected that answer to come out from Erin’s mouth already. “Was Arin there?” He asked.

“Y-yeah”

Mark gasped a bit. “Is she bullying you as well?”

“Not really, she’s actually nice... I guess?” Erin smiled. The elevator door was open and Erin got out from the elevator with Mark, “she’s really nice Mark, don’t ever let her go okay?” Erin smiled and walked away while Mark could only stand in his place and mumbling for himself.

 

“But I want you now..”

 

***

 

Erin looked at Mark who was standing and not moving at all. “What are you doing Mark? Come on! We need to cook this fast!” Erin smiled. Mark only smiled and looked at her. He mumbled words and made Erin curious.

 

“What? I couldn’t hear you!” Erin laughed. She ran towards Mark and grabbed his bestfriend’s hand, “we need to go now, if not, I might go home really late and my cousin who is watching me wouldn’t like that?”

“I see” Mark smiled and walked with her. He pressed the bell of NCT’s dorm and waited until someone opened the door.

“Mark, what did you say a while ago? I couldn’t hear you” Erin asked again.

“Nothing” Mark answered shortly. Erin could only smiled. She knew that maybe it’s really not important. ‘maybe he just mumbling for himself’ she thought.

 

 

“MARK!” Someone opened the door and looked at Erin, “Erin-ah!”

“Annyeong haseyo” Erin bowed and looked at the person, “Taeyong-ssi! It’s really nice to see you again”

“It’s a pleasure to see you as well!” Taeyong grabbed Erin’s hand and pulled her inside of the apartment, “welcome to our dorm!”. Erin looked around and amused by the dorm. It was a big apartment and pretty comfy for 15 people inside.

“You have a nice dorm” Erin smiled, “SM must love you guys so much”

“You’re funny” Taeyong laughed, “so you’re going to cook here right? Oppa will help you okay?”

“Taeyong-ssi-”

“What did I say about dropping formality to our members?” Taeyong looked at her closely, “don’t be shy and just be our friends, okay? anyway your sister is close with our hyungs as well so nothing is wrong with dropping formality”

Erin looked at Mark who looked at Taeyong with cold eyes, “Mark” Erin called him, “are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Mark smiled.

 

“ERIN-AH!”

Erin looked around and saw Jaehyun walking out from his room. She smiled brightly and greeted Jaehyun, “oppa!” She smiled and waved at him.

“How are you? Doing fine?”

“Yeah pretty much!” Erin answered, “but I’m a bit tired”

“Well you want oppa to help you cook? I can help you”

“No need” Mark answered Jaehyun for Erin immediately, “this is group project so you guys should stay away from the kitchen!!”

“Mark...” Erin looked at Mark who looked a bit angry, “you said a while ago that they can help”

“Well I change my mind” Mark looked at Erin with his cold eyes, “lets go”. Mark grabbed her hands and led her to their kitchen immediately. The kitchen seems to be used a lot and very clean. “You have a nice kitchen! I love it!”

“I’m glad you like it” Mark smiled, “so... what should we do first?”

“Can you prepare the crust?” Erin asked Mark, “I will prepare the apple for apple pie, the maple and custard and meringue”

“That’s a lot” Mark looked at Erin worried, “are you going to be okay?”

“I guess so” Erin laughed, “don’t worry okay? Let’s just do this, it’s already 7PM and I’m afraid to walk at night”

“I will walk you home didn’t I tell you that?” Mark looked at Erin. Erin looked at Mark’s eyes that looked really worried.

 

She got confused. Mark really cared about her today, but she tried to limit that and tried not to think about that since she knew really clear that his heart belongs to someone else. She had no idea on how to forget this night and how to remove Mark from her mind. She didn’t even know how to keep her heart beat normal at this moment. “Hmm Mark?” She called him.

“Yeah?” Mark looked at her and smiled, “do you need help?”

“N-no” Erin answered fast. She was really nervous all of the sudden after remember that Mark was really close with her. “But Mark, how are you and Arin?”

“Uhmm.. we’re fine” Mark answered shortly.

“Are you guys dating now?” She asked.

“Not really” Mark answered, “although I can see that she doesn’t want to lose me anymore” Mark laughed bitterly. Erin tried so hard to get busy with her job while Mark was doing his thing in his own space. After an hour, they were done taking care of everything and ready to put the pie in the oven. Mark and Erin smiled at each other for finishing their project and waited for their result immediately. Erin took her phone and dialled a number.

“Who are you calling?” Mark asked.

“My cousin, she needs to know where I am” Erin smiled. She waited for a while and heard a voice from her phone.

“Erin-ah where are you?” The voice asked her question imediately.

“Hyeji eonnie” Erin started to talk, “I’m doing project at my friend’s place, he will drive me home later”

“Who is this friends?” her cousin, Park Hyeji, asked, “Is it Jaehyun?”

“No it’s not Jaehyun oppa but it’s Mark, their manager are here don’t worry” Erin informed her cousin, “I will be fine maybe another 2 hours and I will be going home”

“Okay baby girl, take care okay? I don’t want you to get sick!” Hyeji warned her baby cousin ,”Mr. Cho will pick you up!”

“Yes ma’am! See you tomorrow!” Erin smiled ang hung up. Mark looked at Erin and she could only smiled at him.

“Is everything okay?” Mark asked.

“Uhm yeah I think so” Erin nodded, “Mr. Cho will pick me up later”

“I see” Mark smiled. Erin looked at him and once again, her heart skipped a beat like she had been running 5 miles non-stop. She looked at Mark and the more she sees him, the more she wanted him to be his. ‘This is impossible’ she thought.

“Mark,” She called his attention, “I was just wondering”

“About what?” He asked.

“Well, about you and Arin,” Erin smiled, “I think you should date her soon,”

“Why do you think like that?”

“Well you guys are cute together!” Erin gave the reason, “and I think you really should ask her out?”

“Do you think so?”

“Y-yeah!” Erin nodded, “and after that..”

“After that what?” Mark asked her seriously.

 

 

 


“Well... maybe.. just maybe” Erin smiled, “I should stay away from you. You know, just to be safe and so Arin will not misunderstand anything”

 

 

Mark looked at Erin. His eyes became darker and looked at Erin, “is that the real reason? Cause if that’s the real reason, I think we can settle that with her, she’s a nice girl you know that right? She likes you too”

“Yeah but-“

 

TING!

 

Erin and Mark heard a sound coming from the oven. “Oh I think the pie is done” Erin tried to distract Mark from their topics. Mark looked at her and looked around where suddenly, all NCT members were there in the kitchen, looking like a fox waiting for their food to be served. Mark looked at them and they looked at Mark and Erin.

“So are you guys going to serve us the pie or not?” Ten asked and looking at the maple pie he had been waiting for.

“What? No!” Mark answered immediately. all members looked at Erin and Erin looked back at them. A silence were wrapping them for few seconds. She looked at them and smiled at the end and looked at Mark.

“Mark, maybe we can split the pie into two and bring some to school” Erin gave him idea, “you know, so they can try and taste your first cook”

“see! Even Erin agree on giving us!” Haechan started to annoy Mark and critizise him, “you know, you should give us or you might fail tomorrow. What if it’s not good enough? You will failed!”

“Fine!” Mark looked at everyone and they smiled happily, “I will give only a little bit of everything!” Mark looked at Erin who smiled brightly and laughed with Jaehyun. Mark looked at him and glared at him for a while until Jaehyun finally realized that he’s been stalked.

“okay okay” Jaehyun smiled and back away from Erin. Erin frowned a bit but did not really care. She looked around and saw Mark eating the pie with the others while Erin were standing near the counter with Johnny, Taeyong and Haechan.

“You let Mark cook?” Taeyong asked Erin and she nodded, “you know that Mark never cooks right?”

“I know, that’s why I let him” Erin smiled, “did you try the pie? It’s pretty good I guess”

“Yeah it’s nice!” Haechan answered, “you know, I appreciate that you come here disregard of your date with Mark-”

“What?”

 

 

 

NCT members looked at Erin who looked at Haechan confused. Haechan spilled the beans. “How do you know that it’s our date?”

“Hm...” Haechan lost of words. He really hate himself for spilling out the secret to Erin, “I mean, Mark told us that you guys are going to go to various restaurant to eat”

“Yeah like that” Ten helped Haechan but it didn’t work, “anyway, are you guys on a date?”

“Uhmm...” Erin looked at Mark and looking for answers but Mark also seemed to be confused as well, “yeah we had a date”

“OOOOHHHHH” members were looking at them and smiled evilish to them, “so did it went well?”

 

 

Mark looked at Erin and smiled, “I don’t know... We haven’t officially end it”

 

 

“OOOOOHHHH” The guys even sound even louder. They laughed and looked at Erin whose face looked like fresh tomato. “Erin-ah” Jaehyun looked at Erin, “how’s your date?”

“It was pretty nice” Erin smiled, “but anyway, we make the date so we can end our fake relationship well”

Mark looked at Erin. He stopped for a while and looked really serious, “we are not”

 

 

 

Erin turned her head to Mark and smiled at him. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying we’re not ending anything,” Mark looked at her, “we’re not ending this relationship, neither if it’s fake or real, I’m not ending anything we have, I’m not ending any relationship we have and you better be staying next to me everyday”

“Maybe we should go for a while” Taeil whispered, “I think they need privacy”

“No, none of you are going anywhere, because all of you should listen to this” Mark looked at Erin who looked really confused, “because I’m going to say something that is really important, and Choi Erin, you better listen to me carefully”

 

 

“I’m listening...” Erin answered in a really low voice.

 

 

 

“I’m not letting you go Erin-ah,” Mark approached her and look at her like he was about to lose the most important thing in his life, “not today, not tomorrow, not even in your dreams. I will never let you go,”

“W-why?” Erin got nervous. She was scared on answer that Mark would gave her, “tell me a reason why can’t I leave”

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!! ISN’T THAT OBVIOUS?”

 

 

 

Erin could feel her heart beat stopped when Mark said the ‘L’ word. That word was really big for her and she never thought she would hear that from Mark. FOR HER. “ Mark you must be joking” Erin laughed a bit and tried not to think about it.

 

“Mark...” Taeyong looked at Mark and he looked really serious right now.

“I’m sorry I thought I just like him, but turns out I cannot lose her like that” Mark looked at everyone and locked his eyes on Erin, “I realized that she’s a very nice person. A best friend that I can count on,”

“Is it possible that you only like her because she changed?” Ten asked, “because that’s not nice at all”

“No, not at all” Mark answered Ten, “I can feel it since Jaehyun was close with her. It took a while for me to realize but I don’t think I can lose her. I asked myself what that is and I found the answer today,”. Mark looked at Erin and she looked really shocked, “I just want to tell you that I have no feelings on Arin anymore, I realized that you, it is you”

 

 

Erin looked at him. She could feel her tears was going to drop really soon, but she could not cry. At least in front of these many people. She should be strong and that’s what she learned from her sisters, Ara and Hyeji.

 

***