VII

Unpleasantly Beautiful

Erin woke up that day on her bed. It was Friday and she knew she needed to still go to school. “It’s finally Friday!” She screamed out of excitement.

She looked at the mirror and smiled. She looked the same everyday but it would change tomorrow. She set appointment with dresser and saloon for Monday to fix herself. Erin walked out from her house and remember that she also needed to tell Mark that he would need to accompany her to the concert next Monday.

Mark and Erin had been fake dating for almost a month now and it went well as they planned. They went back from the camp a week ago and the rest of the week had been pretty nice for them, although she didn’t see him much because turns out he got a little bit busier than he supposed to be.

Erin got inside of the bus to school and texted Mark.

 

Erin: Mark, are you going to school today

Mark: Yeah I am. See you there!

Erin: okay!

 

Erin smiled. Her relationship with Mark was really good. They might be fake-dating, but they’re friends for real now. Erin got excited and put her phone on her pocket. She arrived at school after 15 minutes and went to her class as fast as she can. She sat on the front table right where she usually sit. She looked at the class and it was really empty.

 

“You’re already here”

 

Erin heard Mark’s voice and she looked around. Mark was sitting already in his seat and smiling at her. She looked at Mark and greeted him, “good morning!” she smiled.

“Morning to you too” Mark smiled, “how are you today?”

“I’m great,” Erin smiled, “how are you?”

“Kinda tired” Mark smiled.

“Take a rest Mark, you need it” Erin suggested.

“Yeah” Mark smiled at her. He walked to her table and smiled, “we need to talk”

‘What is it?” Erin looked at him, “is everything okay?”

“mm-hmm..” Mark looked at her, “we need to talk.. maybe at the rooftop?”

Erin could sense that the conversation would be a little bit rough. “Okay” Erin smiled. Mark walked first and she followed him from behind. She looked at Mark who looked uneasy. They walked to the rooftop and took a deep breath for a while before they started to talk.

“So what is it Mark?” Erin asked.

 

“I’m telling Arin the truth”

 

Erin looked at Mark. She knew this day would come and she prepared. She knew after Mark told Arin everything, it means that would be the end of Erin and Mark. She was sad, but she support both of her friends 100%. “Okay..” Erin smiled, “that’s it?”

“Y-yeah” Mark looked uneasy, “are you okay?”

“Why shouldn’t I be okay?” Erin smiled, “I’m happy for you! You can finally get together with the girl you like!”

Mark looked quiet, “do you want to just break up and we can tell Arin after that? Or-“

“No no I think you should tell her the truth that we plan this whole thing, honesty is number one in relationship” Erin smiled, “you should tell her! When are you planning on telling her?”

 

“Monday”

 

“At school?”

 

“no there’s this concert she wanted to watch” Mark smiled, “we’re going to watch it together”

Erin got quiet. It was the concert that Erin supposed to watch with Mark. “You don’t remember? You have something on Monday”

“What is it?” Mark confused.

 

He really did not remember.

 

“You know what? Maybe it was not on Monday” Erin lied. She got really disappointed, but it was only her; and she’s nothing to Mark.

“Oh thank God because I promised her already” Mark smiled, “so, I will just stop pretending from now okay? I will see you later”. Mark smiled and walked away from Erin. Erin sat in the bench of the rooftop and smiled. She tried to look for any good in helping Mark, and everything looked okay for her; she got Mark as her friend, she got to experience how it feels on dating Mark, she got new friends, she got everything done.

 

But something was just wrong. And She felt hurt.

 

***

 

Jaehyun looked at Mark who was smiling all the time in his bed. Jaehyun frowned, “what are you doing?” Jaehyun looked at him weirdly.

“Well...” Mark looked at Jaehyun, “I got a date on Monday with Arin, and I will tell her all my plan and ask her to be my girlfriend” Mark smiled, “this is exciting”

“Are you really that excited?” Jaehyun asked, “what about Erin?”

 

“Well Erin is fine it’s just we’re fake dating remember?”

“No I don’t mean how you feel..” Jaehyun corrected him, “what about her image in front of Arin’s eyes and how she feels?”

“Erin?” Mark looked at his hyung, “what’s with her?”

“Well what are you going to do?” Jaehyun asked, “don’t you have a plan with her too on Monday?”

“Who said that?” Mark got shocked and sat on his bed.

“She said that, she said it’s her favorite artist and she’s really looking forward to it” Jaehyun replied, “you promise her during your trip in a train”

 

“!” Mark hit his forehead. He really forgot that he promised Erin about the concert as a thankyou from him. “Hyung I forgot”

“Well... you disappoint her” Jaehyun smiled, “Wow Mark, I thought you like her”

“I DON’T”

“Really? Because the way you react when you talk about her is different with when you talk about Arin” Jaehyun explained, “well, if you don’t like her, meaning she’s free right?”

“Yeah” Mark nodded, “you know what? As a proof that I actually don’t like her, you can accompany her to the concert! You want right?”

“Yeah sure it’s my break anyway and it’s with the cool junior I met at your school” Jaehyun laughed, “I will accompany her. give me her number”

“Why?” Mark looked at him.

“I will text her,” Jaehyun answered, “we need to set place and everything you know right?”

“Y-yeah of course I know” Mark answered; unsure.

“Unless you don’t want me to be close to her” Jaehyun laughed.

“Here’s the number” Mark threw his phone to Jaehyun’s bed and Jaehyun copied it immediately. Jaehyun smiled and walked outside from their room.

 

“It would be a nice date for us,” Jaehyun laughed, “thanks Mark! You’re a good brother!”

 

***

 

Erin walked inside of the saloon and looked for the stylist she knew. One of her cousin recommend her the place and she got an appointment fast because her cousin is one of the most respected customer. It was Monday and she looked around the saloon. The place was not too crowded since it’s still 2 in the afternoon.

“Hello I have an appointment with Mr. Kim?” Erin asked the front desk. The lady in the front desk looked at her with a weird stare.

“Name?” The lady asked.

“Choi Erin”

The lady widened her eyes and smiled immediately, “you’re Lee Ara’s cousin?”

“Yes I am” Erin smiled, “I don’t look like them do I? It’s probably because I’m so-“

“No no!” The lady got really nice all of the sudden, “Miss Lee and Miss Park are our respectful customer, and it makes you one of them!” The lady spoke, “so ma’am I will call Mr. Kim, while waiting, please sit and wait”

“Thankyou” Erin humbly smiled. she sat on a sofa and read a magazine in front of her. she looked around and saw so many famous people were getting a treatment. ‘This must be expensive’ Erin mumbled.

“Ms. Choi!” a guy voice called Erin and she looked at him. the guy was wearing a black turtle neck and smiled at her, “I am Mr. Kim! Nice to meet you!”

“Nice to meet you too!” Erin smiled.

“So.. what are we going to do about you? Ara called me and it seems a bit urgent” Mr. Kim asked, “ugh I miss that girl, where is she now?”

“She’s in New York now with Hyeji eonnie” Erin smiled, “actually, I need your help because I’m an art student and I think I need to.. you know...”

“Look prettier?” Mr. Kim made a guess.

“Yeah” Erin shyly nodded.

“Okay then! Lets give you a make over so you can be as pretty as my other 2 babies” Mr. Kim laughed and walked her to the washing area.

“Ara went here a lot? I thought she’s busy with school” Erin got confused. Mr. Kim laughed and nodded. “Isn’t she a medical student?”

“Yeah she is but she’s really good in taking care of her body” Mr. Kim replied, “and I will make sure you will be like her and as pretty as her!”

TRING! TRING!

Erin lookeda at her phone and looked at a text message that came in few seconds ago. She looked at the number.

+82 xx xxxx yyyy: Hey it’s me

Erin: Me who?

+82 xx xxxx yyyy: Jaehyun! Hehee XD

 

‘aah it’s oppa’ Erin nodded and smiled. she saved his number and replied his text while the staff washed her hair.

Erin: oh heyy oppa!

Jaehyun: are you free tonight?

Erin: yeah I will be free around 6

Jaehyun: Great I will pick you up. We’re going to watch the concert you wanna watch

 

“REALLYY!!!” Erin screamed because she was too happy. He drew attention for a while but she went back to normal and texted Jaehyun back after that.

 

Erin: NO! Really?!

Erin: PS: I just screamed in a saloon rn

Jaehyun: KKK~

Jaehyun: Yeah Mark said sorry he forgot so he asked me to accompany you

Erin: but are you okay with this?

Jaehyun: of course! I’m excited about it! Where should I pick you?

Erin: Do you know Park Seung Chol in Gangnam?

Jaehyun: Yeah

Erin: pick me up there at 6:30? The concert starts at 7 right?

Jaehyun: yep it will starts at 7. I will see you later Erin!

 

Erin looked at Mr. Kim who looked at her suspicious. “Who’s that Erin?” Mr. Kim smiled.

“That’s my friend” Erin smiled, “do you think we can finish this at 6?”

“I can do miracles Erin-ah, don’t worry!” Mr. Kim smiled, “now, lets go!” Mr. Kim smiled and brought Erin to another station to start her make over.

 

***

 

Jaehyun looked around and checked his watch. It was 6:15 and he arrived early in the salon. He decided to went down from his car and walked inside of the salon. He was actually curious on how Erin got herself in to the fact that the salon was expensive and only famous and popular people could get appointment there.

He opened the front door and looked at the front desk lady who looked shock when she looked at him. “Good evening” he smiled.

“Omooo it’s NCT Jaehyun!” The lady smiled, “how can I help you?” she asked him nicely.

“I want to see my friend here, Choi Erin?” Jaehyun was not sure but he said her name anyway.

“Ahh Erin-ssi!” The lady smiled, “just wait for a while, she would be out probably soon”

“Ah ne, thankyou” Jaehyun smiled and sat in a sofa. He looked around and saw some staff were talking and looking at him at the same time. Yes, they were gossiping about him.

 

‘Jaehyun NCT is waiting for Miss Choi as well?’

‘Wow Lee family sure only date singer’

‘Erin-ssi is one lucky person, just like miss Ara and Hyeji’

‘He’s cute why is he with her anyway’

‘Do you think they’re dating?’

 

Jaehyun wondered who were they talking about to be exact, but he could only stand still and looked at his phone.

 

“Oppa! I’m sorry to keep you waiting!” Erin’s voice was heard and Jaehyun looked at Erin.

“Erin-ah!” HE jumped when he saw the new Erin. Sure she only changed her hair, but she looked really different. REALLY DIFFERENT. In a good way for sure.

“What? You don’t like it?” Erin looked scared, “am I scary or what?”

“No it’s just...” Jaehyun was lost. He was still speechless. Ara looked really pretty and chic at the same time with a straight silky long hair and a transparent contact lens. She’s only wearing white shirt and pencil jeans but it showed her figure and it looked really pretty on her. “You’re just... wow”

“You sound like Taeil oppa” Erin laughed, “wait  for me here okay? I will pay first”. Erin walked to the front desk and took out her credit card. Jaehyun approached her and accompanied her.

“Thankyou for coming Miss Choi!” The lady smiled at Erin, “I can see your boyfriend pick you up”

Erin and Jaehyun immediately spoke at the same time, “no we’re not”

“Hahaha you guys are cute!” The lady laughed, “here’s your card, send our greetings to Miss Lee and Miss Park okay?”

“Sure! I will tell them to come by if they’re here!” Erin smiled and looked at Jaehyun, “should we go now?”

“Yeah we should” Jaehyun smiled and walked out from the salon with Erin. They went inside of the the car and Jaehyun looked closer at Erin.

 “I didn’t know that your make over is today!” Jaehyun screamed a bit, “I still recognize you but you’re so much prettier than I think you would be!”

“And I also don’t know that you’re going to watch the concert with me” Erin laughed. Jaehyun looked at the back seat and got a pair of hat and mask for each person, “I thought we don’t need to worry but I think we do”

“why?” Erin frowned.

“Well, I thought you will just be like the usual you,” Jaehyun laughed.

“But this will be the usual me from now on! I will dress and look like this everyday!” Erin laughed.

“I mean, fans wouldn’t be curious on who you are if you’re not attractive” Jaehyun smiled, “but it’s okay! No one will recognize us anyway!”. Jaehyun and Erin laughed together, “so, should we go now? The arena is very near!”

“Yeah! I’m excited!” Erin nodded and Jaehyun started to turn on his engine and drove the car.

“By the way, how can you get inside of the salon? I know that salon needs like one month appointment” Jaehyun asked, “I heard that from many people”

“Well, my cousin..” Erin smiled, “when she’s in Korea, she visit the salon and the salon loves her”

“ahhh” Jaehyun smiled, “you know, the staff were talking about us dating when I wait for you”

“Oh yeah, they said my unnie’s boyfriend sometimes did it, it was almost impossible to the fact that he’s a rapper”

“Oh he is?”

“Yeah! You know Simon?”

 

Jaehyun looked at Erin, “as in Dominic?”. Erin nodded. Jaehyun felt like his eyes were about to popped out when he heard. He never knew who Erin was, but now, he got even really shock that her cousin is dating Simon Dominic.

“So the cousin that they’re talking about... Miss Park... Is it Park Hyeji?” Jaehyun asked slowly; scared on facing the answer from Erin’s mouth. Too bad, she did not answer by word,

 

She nodded.

 

“You’re cousins of Park Hyeji and Lee Ara?” Jaehyun looked at Erin and she nodded again.

“Wow you know a lot about my family!” Erin laughed.

“Erin, Chanyeol hyung dated that girl, it caused a little bit of chaos inside of the building you should know that”

“Yeah I heard” Erin smiled, “I just want to stay down to earth. I don’t want to be boastful about who my cousin is because they’re busing controlling the company”

“I heard” Jaehyun smiled, “wow, you’re really humble. I have no idea”

“Well you know now” Erin smiled and Jaehyun went back concentrating himself to the road.

 

***