Chapter 8

On Guard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Section 2.5: Never allow personal issues to interfere with performance

 

Dongwook didn’t utter a word in the car. He could sense Bom wasn’t in the mood to talk. Yet he was dying to know why she has been slightly cold to him. Was it because he was spending too much time in Japan? He couldn’t tell what was on her mind. She was a block of wood to him.

“Do you want to go the doctors?” He took the courage and started a conversation.

“Why?”

“Because you said you were sick,”

“No. I just need to sleep,”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” She answered back.

“I’m planning to leave Japan for good and to move back to Korea to stay with you,”

“What? That’s nonsense. You shouldn’t give up your dreams for me.”

Dongwook’s face turned sour, even if he doesn’t move back he just wished he gotten a better response from her. He wanted to hear “Aww that’s so sweet. Let be together forever,” or even “I’m so lonely without you, please come back!”

He knew he married a strong independent woman but a little compliment would be nice. Dongwook sulked as the awkward silence grew.

Bom’s phone vibrations interrupted the silence.

“Hello Park Bom, this is Doctor Yoo. I’m here to give you an update of your dog. Your dog survived the operation.”

“Oh my gosh, that’s great news.”

“I’ll call you again when your dog is ready to go home,”

“Thank you so much,”

Bom was floating on cloud nine but Dongwook was emitting with electricity.

“What happened to Choco?” he demanded.

“Someone stabbed Choco….”

“And you didn’t even tell me? Choco is our dog!” Dongwook growled.

“I didn’t want you to worry!”

“How could you not tell me such important things? We bought the dog together. I’m the father of the dog!”

“I’m sorry!” She apologised.

“Why are pushing me away!?” Dongwook finally asked.

Bom didn’t say anything she was too busy crying.

“Unbelievable,” Dongwook muttered.

 

***

 

“You’re back early!” Top grinned as he opened the door for her. Bom pushed past him and scurried to her room.  She was a complete mess after her fight with Dongwook.

She mad Dongwook angry.

It was the last thing she wanted to do.

 

Top stood outside her room and pressed his ears against her door. He could hear her loud sobbing from the outside. He prepared himself first by grabbing the box of wet tissues. He gently knocked on her door before he entered inside.

Bom curled into a ball as she sat upright in the middle of her bed.

Her fake eyelashes fell off as she cried with black tears.

“Go away,” She told him.

Top remained unfazed.

“I’m not here to talk. I’m here to wipe your makeup away.”

Top sat on the edge of the bed so he could be inches away from her face.

He pulled out a wet tissue and wiped the sticky black stains on her face.

It was a tough job, she just kept crying and crying.

Behind the heavy makeup lies a broken girl.

Top sat by her side waiting for to calm down.

“You don’t have to tell me what happened. I just want to know one thing,” Top mentioned.

Top took a deep breathe before he continued on.

“Did Dongwook hurt you in any way?” He asked sternly.

Bom shook her head.

“It’s my fault,” Bom managed to breathe out.

She was one who hurt Dongwook.

She never opened up to him.

Why couldn’t she act normally in front of him?

Why is she always so scared to show him her real issues and problems?

Does she even trust him?

She was confused.

She really wanted to rant to Dongwook about everything that's bothering her but something inside pulled her back. It was fear.  She was scared, scared of his reaction and scared of him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter