Night Talk

Find Your Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the second Monday of November and the weather was getting colder as if it was welcoming winter at its doorstep. The moon shone brightly in the sky, doing its job to illuminate the whole city along with the city. From the top of one of the tallest buildings, Redtop Apartment, the bustling traffic looked like a pack of ants lining up neatly.

 

On the 27th floor, there was a man sitting on the window sill, looking down at the street filled with people that seemed to have their own worlds. His raven hair was still in the style he’d done up for work earlier that day. Exhaustion was written all over his face. He’d just come home from work, a big accountancy firm, and most of his day was spent fixing the mess his friend had made.

 

His right hand held onto a mug of coffee - his daily dose to get through the day. As he sipped the coffee, a smile plastered across his face.

 

Finally, I am home.

 

“Papa?” Kyungsoo’s train of thought was interrupted by a soft, sleepy voice from his bed. “Did you just come home?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled at his little girl who climbed across his bed to be by his side. Before she fell off the edge, he quickly picked her up into his arms. The little girl looped her arms around his neck and gave him a small kiss on his cheek.

 

“Why are you sleeping in my bed, sunshine?” he asked.

 

“I was waiting for you but then I fell asleep,” she yawned. “I had a bad dream earlier.”

 

“What happened?” A frown crossed his face.

 

“I dreamed of Mama. I– I miss Mama, Pa.”

 

Kyungsoo froze. Nothing came from his lips – he was too shocked to say anything. She hadn’t mentioned anything about her mother in months.

 

“Where is Mama? Why doesn’t she live with us?”

 

“Your Mama is living somewhere far away because of her job,” he answered. “That’s why she doesn’t live with us.”

 

“Does she miss me?”

 

“Of course she does.” Kyungsoo smiled weakly.

 

“Then why doesn’t she call me?” she asked. “Why doesn’t she pick me up from school like my friends’ Mamas do?”

 

She pouted and Kyungsoo kissed her chubby cheeks, easing his fuming little girl before picking her up and taking her to her own room.

 

As he layed her down onto the bed, he brushed her raven locks that covered her doe eyes. He mentally kicked himself for forgetting to take her to the salon for this long. He’d need to do it sometime soon.

 

“Isn’t it enough that you have Papa to make you breakfast every day?”

 

“You’re more than enough, pa but I–” She paused, thinking of what to say next. “Forget I said anything.”

 

“Hey, how about I take you to her place next Saturday after your haircut?”

 

“I don’t want to cut my hair,” she frowned. “Jongin said I looked pretty with long hair.”

 

“Jongin?” he asked. He’d never heard of this name in his life. “Who is Jongin?”

 

“He’s my future husband.”

 

“What?” he shrieked, causing her to cover her ears to block out the sound.

 

“You’re hurting my ears, Papa,” she whined.

 

“You’re too young to be talking about marriage, Do Sunmi.”

 

“I’m already 12 years-old,” she retorted. “I’m old enough!”

 

“Enough jokes, it’s time for you to go to bed now,” he said. “You have a piano lesson with Ms. Kim tomorrow.”

 

“I don’t like her, Papa. I don’t like how she looks at you.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed. Not this talk again.

 

“It’s getting late. We can talk about Ms. Kim in the morning.”

 

“Okay, good night Papa.”

 

“Good night, sunshine,” Kyungsoo said as he kissed her forehead before turning off the light and heading to his own room.

 

After changing into his pyjamas, Kyungsoo grabbed his phone and dialled a familiar number. Much to his disappointment, he was greeted by voicemail. He scrolled down his phone’s contact list and dialled a different number.

 

“What is it, Soo?” a sleepy voice answered. “It’s already 1 in the morning here and I need my beauty sleep.”

 

“I’m sorry, Baek. I– I need someone to talk to.”

 

“Is it about Sunmi?”

 

“How do you–”

 

“How do I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter