Big Night

i check in (to a support group)

It was Tuesday afternoon, and Seungkwan was trudging down the hallway towards the support group with Wonwoo in tow.  His best friend was happier than he usually was.  Seungkwan could tell because he had a bounce in his step that wasn't typically there.  Seungkwan wondered what the hell he had to be so happy about.  After he had spilled his ity complex to Hansol, there was only so much more support he could take before he went crazy and threw cross-shaped candies everywhere. 

 

They entered the room where the meetings were held.  They were early this time and had their choice of seats, save for a few girls who were already camped out by the place where Joshua usually stood to conduct the meetings.  Seungkwan and Wonwoo sat near the middle of the room, though a little closer than usual and waited for everyone else to arrive.  After the soup incident, Seungkwan found himself not internally dreading seeing Hansol's stupid handsome self strut through the door, which shocked him a bit.  He decided to ignore that instead of dwelling on it.  

 

The room was beginning to fill up with people as it came closer to time to start the meeting, and there was still no sign of Joshua.  Seungcheol strolled in and took a seat next to Wonwoo and the two of them proceeded with an elaborate secret handshake of sorts.  Seungkwan figured that that's why Wonwoo was so excited.  He had made an actual friend.  Seungcheol didn't seem like the type of guy to just buy someone juice.

 

Hansol strolled in with two minutes to spare and Seungkwan was once again caught off-guard by his extremely handsome haircut.  He came in and took his usual spot next to Seungkwan but this time he didn't have anything smart to say.  Seungkwan was about to open his mouth to say something when he heard the sound of Joshua's clapping hands as he entered the room to begin the meeting, but what really got Seungkwan's attention was the wet popping sound of mouths falling open in unison shock when everyone got an eyeful of Joshua.

 

During every meeting and any time Seungkwan had seen Joshua around the campus, he was always dressed in pressed slacks with a button up and a blazer, looking sharp.  Today, he had on what most would consider his "casual clothes" which consisted of a dark blue t-shirt with a guitar on it surrounded in bright orange and red flames paired with red and blue plaid shorts and some hideous tennis shoes.  Seungkwan wondered how on earth Joshua could go from prime stud in a suit to a good looking guy in a ed up outfit.

 

As Seungkwan was stuck in his reverie, Hansol leaned in and whispered to him, "I always wondered what that guy wore when he wasn't all dressed up, but this is ing ridiculous."  Seungkwan jumped in surprise at the whisper but he still laughed much to Hansol's surprise. 

 

Joshua clapped his hands together again, to signal the start or the meeting but also to get everyone to stop whispering and gawking at his outfit, which he thought looked pretty nice.  "Okay, everyone.  I can see on some of your faces that you're confused on why I look casual this afternoon.  It's because I have decided that for this meeting, we're all going to go out for a coffee outing to discuss the progress we've been making! I know it's still early for some, but this is still a good opportunity for you all to interact with each other out of the confines of this room." 

 

The room was buzzing with idle chatter of Joshua's announcement.  Everyone seemed pretty excited about it as they stood up to gather their things and followed Joshua out of the room and on the journey to the coffee shop.

 

-

 

The shop that Joshua had chosen was a fairly large, which was a good thing considering the size of the support group.  The baristas seemed kind of nervous when they walked in, and even more nervous when they realized the group was being lead by a guy in a guitar shirt.   

 

Everyone ordered something and sat down at several small tables that had been pushed together in the middle of the shop to make one long table.  As they sipped their drinks, they talked about how they had been and about the progress they had made since the first meeting, and Joshua wrote it all down on his clipboard.

 

"I was able to get a date.  With an actual girl!  And she wasn't put off by me almost whipping my out in the middle of a crowded cafeteria," Seokmin announced smugly.  Joshua wrote it all down, but the look on his face showed that he was already dreading this and it had only just begun. 

 

After a few people went, Soonyoung spoke up.  "I watched a ography video yesterday without sobbing uncontrollably in fear."   

 

"That's...good.  That's progress!" Joshua smiled, and Seungcheol patted Soonyoung on the back.  

 

"I'm still wearing but I stopped writing my name in them," Seungcheol announced with a completely straight face.

 

"I'll pay you twenty dollars for a pair with your name written in it," Hansol spoke up from his end of the table and Seungcheol nodded.

 

"Deal," he said, and Seungkwan groaned. 

 

It was getting near Seungkwan's turn to speak, and he was getting nervous.  Hansol could see the little beads of sweat starting to form on the male sitting next to him's forehead, so without thinking he held Seungkwan's hand for comfort, causing him to squeak softly and glare at Hansol, who just shrugged.  Seungkwan decided it was best to just ignore it since it was kind of comforting. 

 

Seungkwan gulped as the usually quiet girl next to him took her turn because that meant he was next.  She took a sip of her drink before speaking up very softly.  "I haven't flashed anyone in a week."

 

Joshua almost spit his coffee but kept his composure to write that down quickly. 

 

Seungkwan paused, unsure if he could top that as he took a deep breath and began to speak.  "I think that since the first meeting, I've become more comfortable with who I am," he said as he squeezed Hansol's hand with a ghost of a smile present on his lips.

 

Joshua smiled at that, probably his first actual smile since the coffee outing had begun.  He wrote that down with a little smiley faced next to it because it just made him so darn happy.  "Alright, Hansol, last but not least, it's your turn."

 

Hansol pushed his hair back with his free hand before leaning back a bit in his chair.  "I haven't had any kind of since the first meeting, which is a record for me," he shrugged, and Seungkwan pulled his hand away quickly at that last part.  He was suddenly not as charmed by Hansol as he had been a minute ago. 

 

Joshua scribbled that down as well with a proud dad smile before he set his clipboard down and clapped his hands once.  "Everyone, I am so proud of the progress you have made thus far, and I hope to continue to see all of you grow as you become more comfortable with yourselves and your situations.  That about settles it for this meeting, since it's getting kind of late.  I think we'll just dismiss it from here."

 

Everyone nodded in agreement and began to stand up, idling their ways to the door before Hansol cleared his throat. 

 

"Hold up, I think I know of a way for this group outing to continue."

 

-

Approximately one hour later, the entire support group minus a few people that had to go study or work or some other excuse, found themselves sitting in a dinky karaoke bar courtesy of Hansol.  Joshua looked extremely uncomfortable at the mass consumption of alcohol and the people that were drunk already even though it was about seven pm.  Seungkwan was a little nervous too, while Hansol seemed completely in his element.  

 

Cheesy music was blasting over the speakers and the smell of alcohol was mixing with the scent of greasy bar food.  Wonwoo had been staring at the wall since they had gotten there, and Seungkwan was beginning to worry.  He was also beginning to wonder why in the Hansol thought this was a good place to continue the meeting.  No one from the support group was drinking anything, and only Seokmin had ordered cheese fries which he was sharing with Seungcheol.  No one was really talking to each other, either, and Joshua looked completely hopeless as the mood from earlier had dropped.  He was about to tell everyone they could leave and go home until some guy came slipped out from behind a curtain, grabbed a microphone, and started screaming into it.

 

"Okay, y'all know what time it is! It's ing karaoke time!" the guy screamed, and Seungkwan's ears twitched because he knew that voice.  He looked over to where the voice came from and scowled.  ing Minghao, speaking Korean.  

 

A few of the people that seemed to be regulars hooped and hollered in excitement, and Seungkwan noticed how Joshua perked up at the word karaoke.  Oh no.  

 

Minghao scanned the crowd for a moment before pointing his finger at Hansol and screaming into the microphone.  "I want to give a quick shout out to the guy who bought my sunglasses last week in the parking lot of a pizza place.  Because of that, he gets to be the lucky who gets to sing the first karaoke song!" Minghao pushed some kind of button on his machine that made an elaborate trumpet sound effect before he gestured for Hansol to come onstage.  Hansol shook his head no but Seokmin and Seungcheol pushed him up to the stage with their cheese-covered hands.  Hansol remembered to get them back to this as he stepped up to the stage to the sound of the cheering crowd.

 

Minghao guided him to choose a song and a few moments later the opening beats of "Hotline Bling" filled the bar.  Seungkwan turned right around to the bartender and ordered a drink.  He figured he'd need at least one to make it through this. 

 

Three drink and two karaoke performances later, Seungkwan was starting to feel a little dizzy.  Hansol had already come down from his stellar performance of "Hotline Bling" to sit back beside Seungkwan, who was beginning to lean on him.  Not that he minded.  After a regular took their turn, Seokmin, Wonwoo and Seungcheol made their way up to the stage.  Seungkwan ordered another drink.  

 

Seungcheol, Wonwoo and Seokmin swaggered around for an outstanding rendition of "Bang Bang Bang".  And by "outstanding rendition", it was really just a lot of screaming, clapping, and arm waving while Wonwoo put his heart and soul into the performance.  When they were done, Seungkwan stood up, a little wobbly on his feet and yelled, "That's my son!"

 

Hansol helped Seungkwan back to his seat after the proud outburst but Seungkwan just shrugged him off and strutted, i.e.. stumbled, up to the stage.  He selected a song despite Minghao speaking to him in pure Chinese and stood in the middle of the stage, microphone in hand, and waited for the song to start playing.

 

Hansol was already amused by Seungkwan being onstage, but he was not prepared for him to do so well singing "Excuse Me" by AOA.  He was really not prepared for him to add sassy, original dance moves along with the song.  He quickly pulled out his cell phone to film the performance before Seungkwan caught him and killed him.  When the sassy boy finished, Hansol stood up and applauded alongside most of the remaining members of the support group that had stayed at the bar.  Seungkwan happily came and sat down next to Hansol, buzzing from the attention.

 

"You killed that. It was really cute," Hansol chuckled and kind of yelled over the sound of the music playing. 

 

"I know," Seungkwan giggled and ordered another drink.

 

They sat in silence for a while, listening to the performers and taking video of Joshua singing a hymn.  After a few more songs, Seungkwan turned to Hansol, twirling one of those tiny, fancy drink umbrellas between his fingers.  "Hey, did you mean what you said about not having since the first meeting? Aren't you an addict or something?" he asked, pursing his lips a bit.  

 

Hansol looked at him, caught off-guard since he was stone-cold sober and Seungkwan was obviously not.  "Uh, yeah," he said a bit sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Seungkwan gasped.  "How come you haven't had any ?"

 

"It's a bit harder to get laid in Korea than America, I think.  I'm not having too much luck," Hansol chuckled. 

 

Seungkwan scowled and shook his finger at the other male.  "What? No way, a handsome guy like you should be scoring all kinds of ," he said and then he laughed. 

 

Hansol choked on air after that, turning to the bartender to talk to him.  "I think it's time to cut him off," and the bartender nodded in agreement. 

 

"Booooooo," Seungkwan pouted and pointed both of his thumbs downward at Hansol and the bartender.  "You guys are conspiring against me."  

 

Hansol sighed collectively with the bartender.  This was going to be a long night.

 

-

 

At about one am, Joshua clapped his hands and ushered everyone out of the bar because the meeting was over.  Technically speaking he couldn't make them leave, but they were tired, and in Seungkwan and Seokmin's case, drunk.  Wonwoo volunteered to take Seungkwan home, and on the way, they had a little chat.

 

"So, you like Hansol," Wonwoo said very matter-of-fact and Seungkwan sputtered.

 

"No, he just doesn't disgust me anymore! And he's a pure boy who needs my help.  He lives alone and he got sick and I made him soup in his dorm.  I saved him from starving.  He only had bread in his refrigerator.  Bread," Seungkwan babbled on, and Wonwoo was only able to make sense of a few things he said.

 

"You went to his dorm and made him soup.  You like him," Wonwoo nodded.

 

"I make you soup," Seungkwan shrugged.

 

"Yeah, but-"

 

"Haha, whoops, gotta go," Seungkwan cut Wonwoo off and ducked inside his dorm room once they reached it, locking the door behind Wonwoo so he couldn't come inside and continue the conversation. There was absolutely no way he like Hansol.  He was just a pure boy who needed his help, and that was it.  Seungkwan sighed and slumped against the couch, and as he drifted off to sleep, he decided to ignore his conversation with Wonwoo and only think about his karaoke performance.

 

Right before he slipped off to sleep, he made a mental note to join a girl group in the morning because he was damn good.