Apartment

Channel Orange

“So,” Jungkook carried a plastic bag with two Red Bulls inside on his right hand as he walked side by side with Chaeyoung, waiting for the elevator to come. “Yugyeom, huh?”

Chaeyoung was looking through her phone’s messages when she heard Jungkook spoke. She looked up, confused at first but it was replaced with a smirk. “I sense jealousy.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes. “Give me a break. What, is it illegal for me to ask about your supposed acquaintances with one of my best friends?”

Chaeyoung lightly pushed the boy on the shoulder as she giggled. “You sound like on your period or something.”

The elevator opened up and they made their way inside. Punching on the number 6 by the side, the door slowly closed and they felt the contraption ascending. “That still doesn’t answer my question, though,” Jungkook said, impatiently taping his foot.

Chaeyoung smirked at the response and then pulled her hair back a bit as it was slightly blocking her vision. “We got to know each other during freshman orientation day. He liked playing Overwatch, so did I and then we frequently had online sessions during the weekends.”

Jungkook blinked. “Wait, you play Overwatch?”

Chaeyoung nodded. “Not as regularly as before, but yeah. I play it from time to time.”

Jungkook groaned at this newfound fact. “Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve had a new friend to talk about that stupid game.”

The elevator dinged and soon the door opened. The two went out as they continued to talk about their favorite characters to play and how to gain certain techniques to win on deathmatches. The conversation ended when they stopped at Jungkook’s apartment, with the latter contemplating if he should invite Chaeyoung inside and continue their little chat in comfortable privacy.

It didn’t take a second for Chaeyoung to notice his thoughts. “Is this the part where you invite me over to your place?”

Jungkook looked at her, not knowing to how to respond. “Well, it’s… I mean, um…”

Chaeyoung smiled. “Jungkook?”

“Y-Yeah?” he replied.

“Do you want me to come into your apartment?” asked Chaeyoung in the sweetest voice she could muster.

Jungkook gulped. His awkwardness among the opposite began to show. This was why he never had any friends that were girls; they make him act like a total idiot.

“Y-Yeah, okay sure. Yeah,” Jungkook said, laughing sheepishly as he fished out his keys. In a low voice, he muttered, “God, I’m so pathetic.”

Chaeyoung heard this and giggled, patting him on the back when he was unlocking the door. “You’re not pathetic. You’re adorable.”

Jungkook turned his head to Chaeyoung. “Rosie.”

Chaeyoung was left stunned at the boy’s use of her English name, but later replied, “Yeah?”

“You’re making me gag,” Jungkook smirked.

Chaeyoung glared at the annoying-yet-undeniably-attractive boy in front of her as Jungkook opened the apartment door. He stepped aside and, putting on his best gentleman voice, said, “After you.”

Chaeyoung stepped inside and the first thing that came into about the place was how it looked a lot cleaner than she originally thought. To her left, a regular-looking kitchen, and in front of her, the living room that has a large white sofa, a glass coffee table with coasters piled up in the middle alongside a box of tissues, and a flat-screen TV. Underneath the sofa and coffee table was a white, furry carpet. The living room had direct access to the balcony with a sliding glass window separating the indoors with the outdoors. Walking further into the flat, she looked to her right and saw a small hallway that has three doors; one on the left, one on the right and the last one at the end.

She came to notice the little paintings hung up against the wall which were mostly monochromatic. If she was a total Tumblr and Instagram geek, she’d probably call this apartment her kind of aesthetic.

Her thoughts were soon diminished as she saw Jungkook running up to the couch and jumping onto it happily like a little kid. He sighed contently, closing his eyes as the furniture embraced him with comfort. “So comfortable…”

“You’re not gonna sleep on me, right?” Chaeyoung chuckled, walking to Jungkook and took the plastic bag so that she could place on top of the coffee table. “Nice place you got here, by the way.”

Jungkook smiled as he sat up and ruffled his own hair. “Thanks. It ain’t big, but it’s home away from home.” Standing up from the sofa, he walked towards the hallway. “Come on, I’ll show you my room.”

“Oh, my,” Chaeyoung said surprisingly, causing Jungkook to turn around with an eyebrow rose.

“What?” Jungkook asked.

“Jungkook, I’m flattered that you invited me over to your apartment, but I can’t accept your offer,” Chaeyoung looked around rather animatedly and stepped closer to Jungkook so that she could whisper softly:

“I’m still a .”

Jungkook looked at Chaeyoung with wide eyes, thinking he too could play along. “Oh. My. God. So am I.”

Chaeyoung faked a cry as she wiped an imaginary tear. “I can’t do this. I literally can’t.”

Jungkook closed the distance between them and pulled Chaeyoung closer to him. His hands cupped Chaeyoung’s soft cheeks, looking at the girl straight in the eye before he placed his lips on her forward for a couple of seconds. He leaned back and softly whispered, “Don’t worry. I’ll go slow.”

This time, Chaeyoung couldn’t hold her act any longer. Her cheeks began to warm up, her heart beating so fast. She doesn’t know Jungkook does it; how he could be the most irritating, rambunctious and sly son of a she have ever met and then make her swoon with his charming and confident side that never fails to catch her off guard.

Jungkook’s laughter snapped her right of her daze, her blushing cheeks apparent.

“Look at you, all flustered and ,” Jungkook teased the girl, ruffling her hair before he went inside his room.

Chaeyoung, with her usual self slowly coming back, followed the boy. And again, she was surprised. His room wasn’t a toxic wasteland.

His desk was neatly organized with books properly stacked and school work placed inside a pink folder (in which Chaeyoung giggled silently at the cute color choice). A closed Macbook and a study lamp that looked like it was bought from IKEA can also be seen. On the other side, two open closets that had all his clothes stored in it. Then, it was his bed with piano tiles as his duvet and two soft-looking pillows that’s just begging to be slept upon. The wall beside his bed was what fascinated her; it had hundreds of Polaroid pictures placed symmetrically beside one another to form a big square that nearly filled up the whole wall. It was also decorated with a string of fairy lights that can light up with a switch.

Again. The aesthetics is no joke.

“Damn, Jungkook…” Chaeyoung said, bewildered as she continued to look around the room in amazement. “This is pretty sweet.”

Jungkook had a smug look on his face after he received the compliment. “Well, I tried. Too bad I have to pack all of this and put them in boxes by the time I go to university.”

Chaeyoung only nodded at the state and her eyes soon fell upon a lone guitar at the corner of the room. She turned around and asked, “You play guitar?”

“A little, though I’m not a pro at it,” Jungkook replied. He saw the eagerness in Chaeyoung’s eyes and chuckled. “Yes, you can try it out.”

Chaeyoung winked playfully at the boy. She picked up the instrument and sat on the bed, fingerpicking a few chords in random sequence before settling on a soft-sounding melody. Jungkook watched her admirably with a slight small on his face.

“You wanna stay for dinner?” Jungkook asked, hoping she would say ‘yes’.

Before Chaeyoung could even respond, a voice can be heard from the front door. “I’m home!”

She looked at Jungkook, to which he nodded in affirmation. “Yup. That’s my stepbrother.”

“Hey, I bought us some fried chicken that’ll last us for the week so I hope that you’re hung-“ A tall, mature-looking man walked in carrying two plastic bags in one hand. He couldn’t finish his sentence when she saw a girl sitting on Jungkook’s bed. It was truly an unusual sight to see, adding to the fact that Jungkook’s history with girls his age was never a smooth sail. “Um… hello.”

Chaeyoung immediately stood up and bowed to Jungkook’s stepbrother whilst shyly muttering, “H-Hi. I’m Park Chaeyoung. I’m a friend of Jungkook.”

The stepbrother blinked, still confused about the whole situation. “Really now?” He turned to Jungkook. “She’s your friend?”

Jungkook glared at the older man and gave him a light punch on the shoulder. “I’m capable of making female friends, Namjoon.”

Namjoon chuckled lightly. “I was just playing with you.” He walked towards Chaeyoung and offered her his hand. “Jeon Namjoon. Nice to finally meet a friend that’s not a guy and is actually pretty for once.”

Chaeyoung giggled at his attempt to make a joke and accepted his handshake. “Nice to meet you too, Namjoon-ssi.”

“Please. Just call me Namjoon,” Namjoon smiled politely, retreating his hand back before saying, “Well, since I bought too many chicken to eat, why don’t you have dinner with us?”

Jungkook nodded at his request. “You can smoke with us if you want.”

Namjoon looked at Jungkook with a surprised look on his face, then back to Chaeyoung. “You smoke?”

Chaeyoung sheepishly scratched the back of her neck. “Yeah...”

Namjoon grinned. “Then, I'm sure we’ll get along just fine.”