Chapter Two

The Life of the Painfully Oblivious

“So what you're saying is, he started laughing when you asked him?” his friend Youngjae asked, flipping his blonde hair out of the way.

Yongguk nodded.

“And he called you cute?” Youngjae asked.

Yongguk nodded once more.

“I don't know what to make of that honestly,” the boy said thoughtfully while rubbing his chin. Yongguk had called him and two other friends on skype to get their advice.

“Are you sure there's not something you're missing? Some trivial detail?” Youngjae questioned.

Daehyun, another friend, snorted. “Of course there's something missing! But Yongguk here wouldn't know, seeing as he spends his days sleeping,” he chuckled.

“I do not!” Yongguk protested.

“You kinda do,” Youngjae agreed, while Daehyun and Hyosung nodded.

“You've always just awoken from a nap when we write to you during the day,” Hyosung smiled brilliantly. Okay, Yongguk had to give them that and he huffed in defeat.

“Is there something else you didn't tell us?” Hyosung asked.

Yongguk racked his brains for something that could be related to it, but couldn't find anything. The only odd thing he could come up with was the mystery person messing his things up and saying sorry afterwards. But that didn't have anything to do with hoodie-guy and the possible bullying going on.

“No,” he answered and shook his head.

“You could always just ask him why,” Daehyun suggested.

“Wouldn't that be too direct though?” Youngjae countered.

“How could that be too direct?” Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “You don't suggest he tries the subtle art of interesting small talk, because I doubt he'll be able to do it.”

“No, you're right. He's useless when it comes to that. But he's also bad at asking directly,” Youngjae nodded.

“Hey!” Yongguk exclaimed. “I'm sitting right here!”

The three of them grinned at him in amusement.

“I say you should go ask, as Daehyun suggested,” Hyosung said.

“That's right. I'm brilliant,” Daehyun flipped his black fringe to the side and winked.

“Urgh, you're making me feel nauseous,” Youngjae gagged jokingly.

“Oh baby cheeks, you love this brilliant piece of brain,” the black haired boy smirked.

“In your dreams, assface,” Youngjae replied with a disgusted expression.

“That wasn't what you said when I was ing you into your mattress last week,” Daehyun grinned undeterred.

“Okaaaaaay,” Hyosung interrupted. “Can we move on? I don't want the details of your life.”

“Oh I know you want the details of how I-”

“Nope! Nope!” Hyosung interrupted, stuck her fingers in her ears and promptly started singing 'lalalala'.

Yongguk facepalmed. His friends were so crude and sometimes you wouldn't guess they had actual brains somewhere in there. When the 'lalala's subsided and Youngjae's 'finally' was sighed, Yongguk looked up.

“So, can we get back to me being called cute when I ask someone if they're bullied?” he asked his friends.

“Well, haven't we already settled that matter? You just ask him,” Daehyun told him. The other two nodded.

“Yeah, but how?” Yongguk questioned. He really wasn't good at this sort of stuff. He didn't know if he was to say something first or go straight at the question. The only place he was somewhat sure of himself was when writing (which was how he had met the three), and even then people said he sounded awkward at first.

“Just go straight for it,” Youngjae told him “Go hard or go home or whatever.”

“Oh baby, I love it when you ,” Daehyun grinned with a suggestive wink. Yongguk buried his face in his palm again.

“Shut it, assface,” Youngjae's voice snapped in annoyance.

Looking up, he found the two of them grinning through the screen, while Hyosung resembled Yongguk a second ago.

“Why am I friends with you guys?” Hyosung sighed.

“Because no one else could keep up with you ranting about Shakespeare and then Trudi Canavan,” Youngjae smiled.

“Urgh, you're right,” the girl agreed with a sigh. “ my life.”

Yongguk chuckled while Daehyun let out an evil laugh together with Youngjae. Before anything more could be said, he heard his mother yell that dinner was ready.

“Well I have to go,” he told them. “Dinner's ready.”

With that he bid them goodbye and promised to tell them what hoodie-guy answered.


 

The next day, Yongguk tried to stay awake the entire day. He needed to jump at the chance of talking with hoodie-guy. So he somehow got out of bed on time, instead of last minute and came to school at a decent time. To his disappointment, hoodie-guy wasn't there. He didn't get there before ten minutes before the bell rang, which was five minutes before Yongguk usually got there.

Throughout the day, he tried talk himself into approaching hoodie-guy, but he chickened out every time. He would make a pep-talk to himself in his head and turn around to get out of his chair and talk to the guy. As soon as he looked at the guy doodling in his notebook though, he turned back to the front and wondered why socialization was so hard. It wasn't even because the guy seemed like a hard to approach guy. He seemed nice enough, seeing as he had woken Yongguk up after class a couple of times.

Luck struck him in the very last class. His history teacher wanted them to take on a part of the second world war. So they were to pair up or make small groups. This was his chance. Turning around, he searched for hoodie-guy's eyes. When he caught them he made what he hoped to be a sign for suggesting they team up with his hand. Hoodie-guy seemed to get the point, because he nodded.

And then hoodie-guy was sitting next to him, asking what part he deemed most interesting.

“Do you have anything against talking about the youth and what they were taught in Germany?” Yongguk asked and hoodie-guy shook his head in answer. With that, Yongguk went up to their teacher and told him of their choice. On his way back, he started panicking about how to ask hoodie-guy why he had called him cute yesterday. It wasn't that he didn't know how to talk when he knew a person, but he just got so nervous and awkward when he didn't.

Getting back to his desk, he sat down and looked at hoodie-guy. How was he to initiate this conversation?

“Do you have time this weekend? I know we have time to make the project here at school, but I'd rather not rush,” hoodie-guy asked.

“Uh, yeah. Sure,” Yongguk answered with a nod.

“Great, where do you want to work? Your place, the library, somewhere else?” hoodie-guy continued.

“Uh, we can just work at my place,” he suggested slowly and hoodie-guy nodded and gave him his phone. Yongguk looked at the other in confusion. Why did the other give him his phone? Wasn't that kind of odd? What would he do with it?

“Put your number in,” hoodie-guy told him after a second, which lightened the situation in Yongguk's head.

“Oh. Right,” he nodded and put his number in. When he had handed the phone back, hoodie-guy messed with it for a moment and then Yongguk's pocket vibrated.

“I sent you a text with my number,” hoodie-guy told him and pocketed his own phone.

For the rest of class, they planned out what they wanted to point out in the presentation. Though hoodie-guy was no expert in it, he actually seemed to have read the material they had been assigned as homework. So he contributed with useful things. It wasn't that Yongguk was an expert, but he had an interest in history, so he had read about the second world war many times.

The last bell rang, people scurried out of class, but Yongguk took his time. This might be the time to ask hoodie-guy about what he had meant yesterday. But when everyone was out of the class except the two of them, hoodie-guy took off with a smile and a 'see you tomorrow'.

Sighing to himself, Yongguk put his favorite notebook in his backpack and went home. He would try again tomorrow.


 

Yongguk was pacing back and forth in the living room. Hoodie-guy had texted he would be there in a few minutes. For some odd reason, he was nervous about having him over. Maybe it was because it was the first time someone from school would see where he lived? Or maybe it was because it was the first time in ages he had someone over? Maybe it was a combination of the two and the fact that hoodie-guy felt oddly comfortable and nice. Like he could be a friend. Which was an entirely new sensation for Yongguk, who usually chatted with people online for months before deeming them a friend.

The doorbell rang and pulled him out of his thoughts. Rushing to the door, he took a deep breath, before opening it. Hoodie-guy stood there, wearing another usual black hoodie and a small smile.

“Hi,” he greeted the other who returned his greeting. Yongguk stepped back to let the other in. When hoodie-guy had taken off his shoes, Yongguk led him into the living room. He wasn't going to take him to his room, because it was messy and it felt a tad bit too private. Hoodie-guy took off his backpack and started pulling out books from it.

“So I borrowed some books that my mother said would help,” hoodie-guy told him as he put the ninth book on the table.

“You went to the library yesterday?” Yongguk asked.

“No,” hoodie-guy shook his head. “These are my mom's books. She's a historian,” he continued explaining.

“Oh, cool,” Yongguk replied, quietly wondering if hoodie-guy was one of those kids who didn't like their parents' profession. He would be overjoyed if his mother or father had been a historian. Then they would know what he was talking about when he tried to discuss the finer details.

“Yeah,” the other agreed, but didn't delve further into the subject. “Should we get reading? She told me the chapters that discuss the subject.”

Yongguk nodded and hoodie-guy pulled out a note from his pocket. It had titles and chapter numbers and titles on it. Without another word, they each took a book and started reading.

The books were really fascinating. They discussed different points that had led to the result of the strong belief the young had in Hitler. It also showed the importance of what kind of upbringing children had. Children were easier to mold into an opinion if you knew what you did. It was kind of scary actually.

It wasn't until Yongguk's stomach growled that he looked up again from inhaling the words in the books. He looked up to find hoodie-guy taking notes while reading. Looking at the clock that hung on the wall, he found almost two hours had passed. His stomach growled again, loudly like he was constipated. Hoodie-guy looked up and gave him an amused smile.

“Do you want something to eat?” Yongguk asked feeling embarrassed. Hoodie-guy nodded. With that, he put away the book in his hands and went to the kitchen. The other followed him and he opened the fridge to see if there were any leftovers they could heat and eat. There were none.

“So there's bread and there's ramen,” he offered the other. That was as far as his cooking skills went.

“Ramen sounds good,” hoodie-guy smiled wryly.

“Great,” Yongguk nodded and got out a pot and some ramen. As the water heated, he turned around to look at hoodie-guy. This seemed like the most opportune moment to ask him why he had called him cute. But he was stressing on how to do it. Should they talk about something else first? Should he go straight for it? How did you do this?

 

 

So my impatient is back with chapter two.

I honestly just want to update all the chapters I have ready immediately. We'll see what happens. ;)

Peace out (^_^)v