Chapter Fifteen

The Life of the Painfully Oblivious

“What?” Yongguk asked as he looked at the three people on his screen. All of them were facepalming. What was this? Why were they acting like this after he told them about Himchan and his relationship? Were they jealous he had gotten a best friend in the hoodied male?

“Yongguk...” Hyosung started but didn’t go any further. She just sounded exhausted and slightly amused. “I don’t know what to say anymore.”

“What is it?” Yongguk asked, getting more and more frustrated. “Why won’t you tell me these things? Last time it was that Himchan was saving me from being bullied without me knowing it, why can’t you just tell me instead of playing these games?!”

“But Yongguk-” Youngjae started but he cut the younger off.

“No. Tell me what is going on!”

Daehyun nudged Youngjae from where he was sat beside his boyfriend, and the small frown smoothed out.

“Look, I’m not trying to be mean to you guys, I just want to know what is going on,” Yongguk told them softly.

“Okay,” Hyosung nodded, “sorry, by the way.”

Yongguk nodded in response, accepting her apology. He had to admit he might be overreacting a little in relation to what he usually acted like, but he had lost count how many times his friends had started facepalming and smiling when he told them about Himchan. He knew something was going on and it pissed him off a little bit that they wouldn’t tell him what was going on.

“Yeah, sorry,” Youngjae and Daehyun apologized too.

“We didn’t want to annoy you, we just thought it would be best for you to come to the conclusion yourself,” Youngjae continued.

“And before you say anything, we’re not talking around this, we’ll tell you our theory,” Daehyun went on. Yongguk nodded slowly but was satisfied with their response.

“The thing is,” Youngjae said and scratched his nose nervously, “is that we think your feelings for Himchan are different from what you think they are, but you haven’t realized it yet.”

“What?” Yongguk asked, confused. What did they mean by that?

“You’re really fond of Himchan, right?” Daehyun said and he nodded slowly. “Well, you’re obviously fonder of him than you’ve ever been of us.”

Yongguk opened his mouth to reassure that they were still special to him but was stopped by Hyosung.

“We know we’re still your friends and that you’re also fond of us, it’s nothing like that,” she smiled.

“He’s my best friend,” Yongguk nodded. He still didn’t understand the great revelation they wanted him to have.

“What we think,” Hyosung said softly, “is that you’re fond of him in a way that transcends just friends, even if it is best friends.”

Yongguk raised an eyebrow at that. Did they mean something along the lines of romantic feelings? But that was just ridiculous, he had never really cared about anyone in that way. The only way he had ever experienced feelings of romantic interest was through music and books. Through the lyrics and the melody, he had felt the yearning of others, the desperate love through desperate poetry, and gentle happiness through soft words of love. However, none of them really fit with his relationship with Himchan.

Himchan was like a wildfire of laughter, gentle care, and a stubbornness to be himself that Yongguk admired. He wasn’t yearning or desperate for the other because he was right beside him. He wasn’t soft words of love that brought happiness, but a wild infectious grin. It wasn’t like anything he had heard or read.

“I can see you don’t believe us,” Youngjae said.

“You’re right, I don’t,” Yongguk said.

“Yongguk, my dude,” Daehyun started, looking oddly serious. “If I know you at all, I know you relate all your own experiences with the ones you read and listen to, am I right?”

Yongguk nodded slowly.

“The thing is, you can’t do that,” Daehyun said and turned to smile at Youngjae beside him. “Every relationship is different, and all feelings differ from the ones you feel for another person because it stems from who you are and who they are.”

Yongguk nodded again.

“However, there are some similarities,” Daehyun went on. “Take me and Youngjae for example. We have always gotten on like a wildfire, we tease, talk, laugh, like best friends, because he is my best friend. But I feel more than that. Not only is he my best friend, he makes me feel this intense feeling in my heart that I would argue is love. Love for him is like no other, and I don’t know if it’ll last or if it’ll change, but I do know he will always be in my heart in one way or another. The thing is, our relationship suddenly sped up marginally but that was us and how we communicate and fit with each other. You and Himchan, if you do feel this kind of love, will have a different relationship. But from the way you talk about him reminds me of my own feelings for Jae, the way your eyes soften reminds me of how my heart melts when I think about Jae.” Daehyun took a breath to steady his voice that had gotten shaky somewhere in the middle. Youngjae was looking at his boyfriend with wet eyes, but not crying yet.

“I’m not saying, you have to feel this way, or that this is what you must feel. What I’m saying is, that you might be feeling these things but you’re denying them from yourself, and all I can recommend is that you think about this long and hard. Feelings have never been an easy thing, but when they’re there and they’re reciprocated, literally nothing beats that feeling.” Daehyun said, before turning to his boyfriend. “Whether that means lying in bed together, eating, talking, going on adventures, or just being in each other’s company quietly, knowing they’re there is all that matters because you love them.”

Yongguk felt shaken to the core. He had never heard Daehyun speak like that, even back when they were trying to convince the two to ask each other out. There was also something about the things his friend had said that resonated with him. It was true he had never felt anything better than knowing Himchan was there for him, but that was as a friend. Even the thought of them being together in a relationship didn’t feel wrong, it just… if that was them, then that would be them. Being with Himchan had just felt right more and more over time.

“I love you,” Youngjae whispered and the two boyfriends kissed softly. Hyosung was wide-eyed and crying silently. Yongguk wasn’t worried though, because she was smiling too.

“I’ll think about it,” Yongguk said when Daehyun and Youngjae looked back the computer screen.

“Good,” Daehyun nodded with a smile.

“You boys,” Hyosung said hoarsely. “You boys are going to be the death of me.”

The four of them all laughed, as Hyosung kept crying and Youngjae wiped away the single tear that had escaped his eyes.

“Well this turned into a cheese-fest,” Youngjae said dryly when they had calmed down a bit.

“No , there’s enough here for several pizzas,” Hyosung sobbed happily. “I think I’m going to have to punch something to restore my coolness.”

Yongguk and the two others burst out laughing once more, as their crying friend wiped her face and told them they should stop being so cute.

 

Yongguk was thinking about what happened last night. Honestly, he hadn’t been able to stop thinking about the things Daehyun had said about love. On the one hand, his heart softened at the words his friend had meant for his boyfriend and the way Youngjae had reacted so gently. It was without a doubt a newfound love, yet a strong one. He hoped they lasted their entire lives. On the other hand, the words made him think about his relationship with Himchan and the way his fondness felt so deeply for the other.

The first made him smile to himself, but the second made him frown in concentration. He needed to figure himself out, but Youngjae had told him not to force himself into a conclusion before they had all said goodnight.

“Yongguk,” the familiar voice of Himchan called. He stopped up and turned around to find his best friend walking up beside him. “Good morning, you look like you didn’t sleep at all.”

“You wouldn’t be wrong,” Yongguk smiled in return at the chipper boy. He was smiling brightly and excitedly, and he felt that familiar deep fondness that he had decided was friendship up until now. Now he was trying to figure out exactly what it was.

“Is that why you’re frowning now? You’re thinking of all the sleep you didn’t get?” Himchan joked.

Yongguk chuckled. “Kind of,” he replied, “you seem happy this morning?”

“Do I? I didn’t notice,” Himchan said dryly with a grin. “Before you ask, I will tell you why. I’ve got tickets for Roger Waters next month!”

Yongguk’s jaw dropped. “What?”

“You heard me right! My parents had apparently bought some half a year ago when they when they were on sale, and yesterday they found out they have a weekend trip planned on the same date with my aunt and my mothers’ cousins,” Himchan told him. “And somehow they are prioritizing family over Roger Waters, crazy, I know, so here I am with two tickets.” Himchan was grinning so widely it looked like he was going to split his face.

“That is so cool,” Yongguk said in disbelief. Himchan was going to see Roger Waters. Himchan was going to see Roger Waters live.

“Yes!” the other exclaimed. “I hope you’re not doing anything because then you’ll have to cancel, this is not something to miss!”

Yongguk smiled before his jaw dropped open again. “Wait, you want to bring me?”

“Yes, of course, I don’t know anyone who would appreciate it as much as you,” Himchan smiled. “Plus, you’re kind of my best friend.”

With no idea what he was doing, Yongguk threw his arms around Himchan and hugged him tightly, while whispering ‘thank you’ on repeat. His friend was laughing and hugged him in return.

“No problem,” his friend smiled widely as they let go. He looked a little red, which was probably from all the laughing in this cool weather. As they started walking towards the school again, Yongguk felt happy like no other time. Himchan had called him his best friend and he was taking Yongguk to a Roger Waters concert. This was unbelievable. The way his friend had just said ‘of course’ as if it was a given to invite him.

He smiled happily while they discussed the set list and what kind of show the old but brilliant musician had in store. It wasn’t until they reached the school that they came back from their pink clouds of excitement.

“Today is the day of the plan,” Himchan said when they entered the school gates.

Yongguk nodded. “Today is the day.”

 

Yoooooooooooooooooooo, there was so much cheese in this chapter, like dayum ;P

I think the reason there was so much cheese was because I've been listening to Britney Spears...

that's what happens when you listen to the radio kids ;)

anywhoodledoodle, I hope you enjoyed the update and...

Peace Out (^_^)v