Chapter Eight

The Only One to See

The walk back is much too short in their opinion. Hoseok and Changkyun hesitate at the gate in front of the younger’s house, neither wanting to say goodbye just yet. However, Changkyun knows he should be getting inside. It's better if he sees their dad before Dankyun does. Maybe he could talk the man down before his twin even gets there. Changkyun sighs, dropping the older’s hand as he turns to his house.

“I should probably—”

“Changkyunnie,” Hoseok interrupts, pulling the younger close to him. He leans down, pressing a feather-like kiss on his cheek. “T-Text me later, okay? I w-want to b-be sure everything is alright. You've been acting off ever s-since your mom called.”

“Okay, hyung,” Changkyun answers softly, unable to keep away the blush traveling up to his ears. He pulls away once more, this time the older releasing him, albeit reluctantly. They share one last smile, and Changkyun looks away, turning his focus on his own home.

 

“—can’t believe you’re still wasting your time with this.”

Changkyun winces as he bends down to take off his shoes, knowing by his father’s irate tone that his brother managed to beat him home.

“My grades haven’t fallen since I joined the club,” Dankyun fires back, his voice audibly shaking.

“That doesn’t matter,” the man continues bluntly. His tone is unwaveringly monotone, but very typical for him. “You’re wasting precious studying hours at these practices. This isn't the time to be losing focus, Dankyun-ah. You need to work harder so you can get in the top universities, and not be out gallivanting with that boy who walked you home tonight.”

“Is that what this is about?” Dankyun demands, the last of his patience snapping. Changkyun moves to stand next to his twin, grasping onto his wrist to pull him back. Dankyun takes a deep breath, steadying himself. “You’re upset that I’m dating?” He pauses before adding, “Or is it because I'm dating a boy again?” Their father falls silent, his unyielding gaze quivering at last at having been figured out.

“Dad,” Changkyun murmurs, stepping between the two. He stares up at him earnestly, thinking he knows just what to say to defuse the situation. “Dankyun-ah and I are doing just fine. We appreciate the concern, but we’ve got it all covered.” Their father sighs, shaking his head at his sons.

“I still don't like it,” he persists, his voice hardening. Dankyun rolls his eyes, leaving the room. Changkyun hears his heavy footsteps on the stairs, his heart pounding heavier at each step.

“We know, Dad,” Changkyun mumbles. He offers the man a tentative smile, and then turns to chase after his twin.

 

"Hyung," Changkyun begins after entering their room, earning an exasperated sigh from the older.

"Don't start with me, Changkyunnie," Dankyun tells him in an almost warning tone. "You'll only justify his actions, but I don't want to hear it. I just want to stew in anger and annoyance for a while." Changkyun can't help but chuckle at his twin's sarcastically petty words, raising his hands in surrender.

"Fine, no justifying," Changkyun says. He sighs, moving to his bed. He lies down, taking his phone out of his pocket as he murmurs, "Dad really is just looking out for us, you know. You know he isn't personally against us dating boys, but he just doesn't want us getting hurt by those who aren't as accepting. He's just worried."

"Changkyun-ah!" Dankyun protests, throwing a pillow at his twin. Changkyun smirks, easily blocking the projectile with his arm. He glances over at his brother, and is glad to see the small smile on his face. He looks away and turns his attention to his phone, content to have made his brother laugh off his aggravation. He types out a text to Hoseok, telling him that everything is fine and thanking him for his concern. He's so focused on making sure his wording is perfect that he doesn't notice his brother's curious gaze.

"Who're you texting?" Dankyun asks. Changkyun jumps slightly at the question, blinking rapidly. His cheek begins to buzz where Hoseok's lips had brushed up against his flesh not too long before, and a blush begins to creep up his cheeks.

“Hoseok-hyung asked me to text him once everything cooled down,” Changkyun mumbles quickly. “He was worried.” Dankyun chuckles under his breath, shaking his head at his twin.

“Then I guess your study date went well.”

“It wasn’t a—”

“Of course it was, Changkyunnie,” Dankyun interrupts tiredly. Changkyun pouts at the statement, about to argue that his date with Hoseok will be tomorrow, but he can't bring himself to. Though, he knows he has to if he wants to be able to go. Dankyun would do anything to keep him out of the house if he tried to leave without telling him where he's going. There's a sigh from across the room, and Dankyun says knowingly, “What is it, Kyunnie?”

“I'm going to hang out with Hoseok-hyung tomorrow,” Changkyun mumbles. Dankyun whistles lowly, pausing only to chuckle at his twin.

“You move fast, dongsaeng,” he says begrudgingly. “I admire that.”

“I'm n-not moving anything!” Changkyun bursts out, defensive. He doesn't like the almost suggestive tone in his brother’s voice. “We’re only going to the arcade, or m-maybe even just studying at a café! I don't know, but I know we aren't going to be doing what you're thinking, hyung!” Dankyun falls back on his bed, laughing hard.

“That is what I thought you were doing, Kyunnie!” Dankyun says between laughs. “Calm down, I didn't think you were planning on anything to happen!” He then coughs, immediately stopping in his laughter. He bolts over to Changkyun's bed, staring intensely into the younger’s shaking pupils. “Unless, that is, you want something to happen?”

“Hyung!” Changkyun protests, pushing his twin back. He quickly gets up to leave the room, though he doesn't know where he'd go. Maybe to the kitchen for a snack. Or a volcano to throw himself in. Yeah, that sounds good. At least then no one would see his burning cheeks and suddenly sweating brow.

“That wasn't exactly a no!” Dankyun calls after his brother, and Changkyun can almost hear the smirk in his voice.

Changkyun huffs out a breath, moving deftly down the stairs. The lights are off now, signifying his parents have gone to their room for the night. He steps quietly into the kitchen, and goes to the pantry for an instant ramyeon. As he fills it with the right amount of water and sticks it into the microwave, the image of Hoseok's beautiful lips curling up into one of his wonderful smiles pops into his head. He sighs, his lips nervously as he stares up blindingly at the ceiling. Stupid Dankyun, putting thoughts into Changkyun's head like that.

His cheek tingles as he remembers what it felt like for Hoseok's lips to gently brush up against his skin, and he finds himself wondering what it'd feel like to have them on his own lips instead. What would Hoseok's lips taste like? Probably a bit salty, because of all the ramyeon he eats and all the sweat he drops due to his dancing. Changkyun absentmindedly his lips as he wonders what it'd be like to go up and kiss the older after a particularly grueling practice, just to ease his tense mind and body.

The microwave beeps, shaking Changkyun from his thoughts. He clears his throat, blinking several times to get the images out of his mind. He can't think like this, not when he still has a mountain of homework to do. He'd have it done by now, but his outing with Hoseok had put him behind a bit. Not that he can't get back up to schedule fairly quickly, he just wishes they'd have managed to get a little work done. Though, he can't bring himself to complain too much. He had too much fun with Hoseok to be able to do that.

After finishing in the kitchen, Changkyun climbs back up the stairs and reenters his shared room with his twin. He sits down at his desk and begins to pull out books, pausing only when his phone buzzes to signify a new message.

Glad everything is okay. You had me worried there, Kukkungie…

Changkyun is unsure of quite how to respond to Hoseok's text, chewing on a spare pencil in thought until another message comes through.

So what do you feel like doing tomorrow? It's my treat, so don't hold back!

Changkyun chuckles at the older’s enthusiasm, hesitating only a moment more before typing out a reply.

 

They go back and forth until Changkyun falls asleep at his desk, phone in hand. Hoseok had taken a bit longer to reply, and the younger had drifted off while waiting. Dankyun, however, is still awake. He only chuckles at his twin, taking his phone away to charge it and moving Changkyun over to his bed. He tucks his brother in, brushing his bangs out of his face affectionately before returning to his own bed.