Chapter Three

The Only One to See

“Hyungwon-hyung seems pretty cool, doesn’t he Changkyunnie?” Dankyun prompts, breaking the hours of silence that had occurred once they returned home. Changkyun looks up from his homework, shooting his twin a weary glance. “I… I mean all of them seem cool,” Dankyun quickly begins to say, earning a knowing chuckle from his brother, “but Hyungwon-ah seems especially cool.” A smirk comes to Changkyun, one which doesn’t go unnoticed by Dankyun.
“Yah!” he shouts, playfully throwing his pencil at the younger. “What’s so funny?”
“You’re so easy to read, hyung,” is all Changkyun can say, returning to his homework as if that ends the discussion. As far as Dankyun is concerned, it doesn’t.
“What do you mean?” he demands, a blush creeping up his cheeks.
“You were all over Hyungwon-sunbae at the café,” Changkyun tells him bluntly, sighing as he fully turns his attention away from his schoolwork and to his twin. “Is he why you wanted to join this club in the first place? I thought it was weird you were so willing to get into it… Did you know he was in this club?” Dankyun pauses hesitantly before answering, a silence that only raises his brother’s suspicions.
“You can just call him hyung,” Dankyun begins. “They told us at the café to refer to them as such. Secondly, of course I knew that he was part of this club. It’s all the school talks about every year, whether or not this club will finally take number one at the school festival. It’s such a big deal that even I heard about it as a middle-schooler.”
“I didn’t,” Changkyun mumbles, fighting the urge to roll his eyes.
“Because you took isolating yourself to the next level,” Dankyun fires back, his temper rising. “Even though I only outwardly socialized with you, I still listened to what people said. I still kept up with what was going on around us. You didn’t seem to care about anything but your studies in middle school…” He pauses before adding, “Changkyunnie, part of the reason I was so willing to get us into this club is because I’m worried about you. When that whole thing happened three years ago, you turned your back on everyone that wasn’t family. I went along with it at first because I agreed with it, but slowly I began to realize that it isn’t any way to live.”
“So you chose a club that you knew I’d be interested in because of the subject,” Changkyun summarizes, “which just so happened to have a member who you liked.” Dankyun’s silence is all the confirmation Changkyun needs. He heaves a sigh, not liking being manipulated by his twin. “Hyung, if you wanted to join a club you should’ve just joined it. You didn’t need to wait around for me to agree to going with you. If that’s really the case, I don’t think I should keep going. I’d probably just be in your way.”
“But I knew it’d be perfect for you,” Dankyun defends. “Changkyunnie, you’ve always been a great rapper. I thought it’d be good for you to have the opportunity to work with someone who could give you legitimate feedback. That’s the only way you can grow as a musician.”
“But I don’t even know if that’s what I want to do yet,” Changkyun says. “I appreciate the gesture, hyung, I really do, but I don’t want to spend time in a club that’ll take away from my studies because I’m thinking of being a rapper one day.” Dankyun pouts, moving from his bed and over to his twin’s. 
“Please, Changkyun-ah,” he pleads, wrapping the younger up in a tight hug. Changkyun tries to wriggle free, which only makes his brother tighten his grip. “Please, just go with me for now. If it really begins to affect your grades, you can feel more than free to stop going. But, until that happens, you’re being there is a great calmer for me. It keeps me from going crazy with nerves. Please, just stay with it for now?” Changkyun sighs again, unable to deny his brother when he begs like this. 
“Fine,” he grumbles, “but the minute I make a low score on an assignment, I’m out.” Dankyun finally releases his brother, beaming from ear to ear. He kisses him on the top of the head, earning another grumble of protest.
“Thank you, Changkyunnie,” he says, his eyes shining with gratitude. Changkyun can only manage a nod, a bit taken aback by the genuine smile painting his brother’s face. It’s been a long time since he’s seen the older smile like that.

“We’re going to be showing you the choreography today,” Minhyuk explains, sitting beside Dankyun and Changkyun among the few spare chairs in the room. Hyunwoo, Hoseok, and Hyungwon get ready to demonstrate, setting up the music and doing simple stretches. Dankyun watches the trio with an eager smile, Changkyun watching his brother with an anxious stare. 
Hyungwon, as if feeling the younger’s stare, glances over in their direction. A smile breaks out across Hyungwon’s lips, and he raises his hand in a slight wave. Dankyun immediately returns the gesture, giving a quick wave paired with a wide smile. Changkyun notices Hoseok straightening up mid-stretch, looking over at Hyungwon. His eyes then flash over towards the twins. A beautiful  smile overtakes his face as his shoulders shake in a chuckle. He playfully slaps Hyungwon's shoulder to get back the younger’s attention. Hyungwon laughs at himself, pressing his long fingers against his lips. 
Changkyun can't help but chuckle at the scene. He shares an amused glance with Hoseok, their eyes lingering a second too long on each other. The younger quickly looks away, silently chastising himself for the blush he feels creeping up to his ears. 
“Interesting,” Minhyuk murmurs, earning a curious glance from both twins, though for different reasons. The upperclassman merely gives them both a bright smile before moving to speak with Hongsik about the routine, not bothering to offer either an explanation. The twins share an unreadable glance, questioning just what he could've been commenting on. 
The lights in the room begin to dim, and the older three at the front of the room take their positions. The rest of the group gathers around the twins, eagerly awaiting the show. 
“Those hyungs are the best dancers out of all of us,” Jooheon explains, popping a handful of chips into his mouth. He holds out the bag towards Changkyun, his eyes glued on the upperclassman. Changkyun reaches into the bag, taking a handful of the snack, and nods his head in thanks. The music suddenly starts up, surprising Changkyun so much he jumps in his chair. He hears a breathy laugh behind him, and glances back to see Kihyun leaning back with closed eyes and a large smile stuck on his face. Despite it being himself the older is laughing at, his reaction, Changkyun can't help but smile at seeing it. Changkyun returns his gaze to the front, focusing on the routine he's supposed to learn if he's to stay in this club. 

Throughout the performance, Changkyun’s eyes keep drifting  back over to Hoseok. The way the older moves his body, the seemingly effortless control of his hips, to the younger, is almost mesmerizing. He knows he's watching him a bit too intensely, but he can't pull his eyes away. Whenever he tries to focus on Hyungwon, or even Hyunwoo, they only remain on either for a second or two before returning to watch Hoseok. 

When the lights come back on, it takes Changkyun a bit too long to realize he's still staring at Hoseok. Minhyuk notices much quicker though, smirking at the younger knowingly as he takes the dancers bottles of water and towels. Hoseok wipes at his face and neck, breathing heavily in an effort to catch his breath. He glances over at Changkyun, a disarming grin plastered on his face. Thankfully, Jooheon makes a comment about the difficulty of the routine, distracting Changkyun enough to stop staring. Changkyun turns to respond to the other rapper, not noticing Hoseok’s falling smile. 
“You and Hyungwon,” Minhyuk murmurs, catching the shift in Hoseok’s mood. “I just don't know what I'm going to do with you two.” Hoseok forces an innocent laugh at the comment. 
“What're you talking about, Minhyukkie?” he asks before pressing the bottle to his lips and taking a long gulp. Minhyuk only shrugs, smirking at the older before walking away. Hoseok watches him pass by the younger rapper, his eyes hovering on Changkyun as he talks with Jooheon, his cheeks flushed slightly. He can't help but smile at seeing this, although he can't tell why.