Chapter Six

The Only One to See

“It’s so nice to see my boys making such good friends,” Dankyun and Changkyun’s mother comments, smiling at the teenagers at her table. Dankyun beams at her in response, whereas Changkyun merely pokes embarrassedly at his bowl of rice. Hoseok watches the reaction, finding it incredibly cute. He immediately looks away upon realizing his own thoughts, deciding instead to focus on the food in front of him.
“Thank you for the food,” Hoseok says politely, picking up his chopsticks to begin. “It looks delicious.” Hyungwon agrees, leaning forward to make eye contact with the woman.
“You’re very welcome,” she replies. She then sighs, glancing up at the head of the table. “I do apologize for my husband not being here tonight. His work keeps him busy the majority of the time.” Dankyun’s grip tightens slightly on his glass as he sets it down at the mention of his father, a reaction only noticed by Changkyun. The younger gives his twin a hesitant glance, silently asking if he’s okay. Dankyun gives a small nod, turning his gaze towards their mother to signal they should listen. Changkyun doesn’t quite believe him, and makes a mental note to ask again once they’re alone.
“What does he do?” Hyungwon asks curiously, oblivious to the silent exchange.
“He’s a scientist,” Mrs. Lim answers. “He mostly deals with research. His job used to take us all over the world, but we decided to settle down when the boys were born. I wanted them to have a stable upbringing.” Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, nodding. He can’t help but feel grateful for the decision, for it allowed him and Changkyun to eventually meet. Despite the two not even being that great of friends, for now, the thought of not even having the chance to get to know the younger distressing. 
“So,” Mrs. Lim says, “what do you two plan to study once you go into University?” Hoseok and Hyungwon share a hesitant glance, unsure if they should burst her bubble or not. They don’t know how supportive the twins’ parents are of the music industry, and both desperately want to impress this woman as much as possible during this first meeting.
“Actually,” Dankyun says, setting his hand on Hyungwon’s knee under the table comfortingly, “they both plan to become trainees in a company once they graduate from high school.”
“Oh,” his mother muses, glancing between the two upperclassmen. “I do hope you’re thinking carefully about it. I hear it’s a very grueling process to debut.” She glances over at Changkyun, adding, “I know Changkyun-ah wants to spend his life rapping, but he’s thinking hard about just what that path would entail. I encourage you two to do the same.” She then pauses thoughtfully, but then quickly adds, “Not that I’m saying to not do it, by any means. I’d just hate to see young people with such obvious potential sign off to be trainees and then not be able to debut.”
“Thank you for your advice and kind words,” Hoseok says, bowing his head respectfully. “I’ll definitely take it all to heart.” Mrs. Lim hums in acknowledgment, shifting her focus on her food. The teenagers do the same, deciding nourishment to be more important than polite conversation.

“Thank you again for having us,” Hoseok and Hyungwon say to Mrs. Lim as they put on their shoes to leave. She smiles softly at them, telling them it was a delight to have them and to come by whenever they wanted. She then disappears into the kitchen to clean up, and to allow the young people some privacy.
“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Dankyun tells Hyungwon, stretching up to give him a quick peck on the cheek. Hyungwon chuckles slightly at the younger’s obvious struggle to reach his face due to their height difference, and swoops down in the blink of an eye to return the gesture. Dankyun blinks rapidly, a blush coming to his cheeks.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, too,” Hoseok tells Changkyun. He then adds in a joking whisper, “But don’t expect me to kiss you about it.” Changkyun laughs, shaking his head at the older. Hoseok then finds himself leaning down towards the younger, whispering in his ear, “Unless you want me to.” 
Hoseok blinks, realizing what he’s said as he pulls away. 
“S-So,” he stutters out, embarrassed by his own impulse, “I’ll s-see you t-t-tomorrow!” He then grabs Hyungwon by the arm and rushes them out the door, refusing to look at Changkyun. He’s sure that if he does, he’ll see an incredibly cute blush creeping up his cheeks, which will in turn only serve to worsen Hoseok’s own blush.

The twins watch the two leave their house quickly, glancing at each other with wide eyes. Dankyun says nothing, instead grabbing tightly onto his twin’s hand and dragging him to their room. He closes the door softly, so as not to alert their mother. He hovers at the door a moment, making sure he doesn’t hear her coming up the stairs to demand they help her with the cleanup. After listening long enough to be satisfied, he turns towards Changkyun, beaming from ear to ear.
“Hyung kissed me!” Dankyun says delightedly, grabbing his twin by the shoulders in excitement.
“Hyung offered to kiss me,” Changkyun mumbles, obviously less thrilled than the older. Dankyun pauses, pulling back as a confused frown comes to him.
“Don’t you like Hoseok-hyung?” Dankyun asks. “Why don’t you seem like you want him to kiss you?”
“When d-did I say I liked Hoseok-hyung?” Changkyun says in return, his twin’s bluntness causing him to nervously stutter out his response. 
“You don’t have to say anything, Changkyunnie,” Dankyun tells him with an exasperated roll of his eyes. “It’s so obvious when you look at him that it’s as more than a friend. Even Minhyuk-hyung sees it.” Changkyun’s eyes widen embarrassedly, earning a chuckle from his twin. 
“But I don’t—”
“You can try to lie to yourself all you want,” Dankyun interrupts, “but you can’t lie to me.” He claps his brother on the shoulder supportively. He then goes to his own bed and begins to pull out books from his bag, as if that ends the conversation. Changkyun tries to come up with an argument, a way to prove his twin wrong, but can’t think of one. Hoseok’s whispered tones echo in his ears, the sudden offer still giving him anxious jitters. 

"What’d you say to Changkyun, hyung?" Hyungwon asks, having to bite back a chuckle at the older’s obviously frazzled state.
“I offered to kiss him,” Hoseok mumbles confusedly. “I don’t know why I did it. I didn’t realize I was saying it until after it had come out.” He then pauses, sighing exasperatedly as he runs a hand through his hair. “There was just something about him standing there, looking up at me. He looked so cute, I just wanted to kiss him.” Hyungwon chuckles at this, shaking his head.
“Sounds like you like him,” he tells the older. “That’s how I feel about Dankyun.” He pauses before adding, “Dankyunnie said that you two would start developing feelings for each other before too long. That’s why we set up that date for you.”
“Very casual, by the way,” Hoseok comments sarcastically, glancing over at him with a raised brow. “But, did you have to tell him I’m struggling in science? He’s going to think I’m a ditz.”
“If he hasn’t realized that already,” Hyungwon says, “then he may be a bit of a ditz, too.”
“Yah!” Hoseok says, chuckling as he slaps the younger’s shoulder. “Don’t talk like that to your hyung!” The two share a laugh, having never expected to be in this kind of situation.