Chapter Five

The Only One to See

“Maybe if there was a beat drop right here,” Changkyun suggests, pointing to the section before the refrain. “I think it’d add for a more dramatic effect.”

“Good idea,” Hoseok agrees, moving to add it in. They had become utterly absorbed in the new project, spending neither knows how long staring at the laptop screen and adding and deleting whatever seemed fitting. Changkyun opens his mouth to give another comment, but the sudden ringing of his phone stops him. He glances down confusedly, wondering just who would possibly be calling him.

“Hello?” he asks upon accepting the call, not bothering to waste time looking at the ID. He wants to get back to working with the older as soon as possible, after all.

“Changkyunnie?” Dankyun’s panicked voice shouts on the other end. “Are you okay? Where are you?”

“I’m at school,” Changkyun answers confusedly.

“What’re you doing there?” Dankyun demands, his panic giving way to confusion. “School ended hours ago.” Changkyun looks over at the clock on Hoseok’s laptop, frowning in realization at having stayed at school for so long. “I came home already because Hongsik-songsaengnim told me you and Hoseok-hyung were going to work together on the lyrics. But, I just looked at the time and realized you still hadn’t come home, and you haven’t texted me at all. I got worried.” He pauses before quietly adding, “Are you still with hyung?”

“Yeah,” Changkyun replies. “Sorry, I didn’t realize how late it was. I’ll head home soon.”

“Make sure you do,” Dankyun tells him. “You know how Mom and Dad are about being home before dinner.” Changkyun hums in acknowledgment and hangs up, already moving to pack up his things.

“Sorry, hyung,” Changkyun says, glancing up at a clearly disappointed Hoseok. Changkyun can’t help but smile slightly, noting how easy it is to read the older. “That was Dankyun-ah. I need to get home.”

“Okay,” Hoseok nods, moving to pack up his things as well. “I’ll walk you back.” Changkyun begins to protest, but the older stops him. “Please, just let me. You’d be doing me a favor if you do, because otherwise I’ll just be worried about you getting home by yourself this late.” Changkyun hesitates, staring at the upperclassman thoughtfully. He’s only trying to be friendly, he knows, but why does his heart beat wildly at the thought of Hoseok walking him home?

Changkyun can only manage a nod, too worried about stuttering if he tries to speak. Hoseok breathes a sigh of relief, his face breaking out into a wide grin. The two then stand, slinging their backpacks over their shoulders almost simultaneously, and turn to leave the room.

 

For a while, they discuss the new song. Hoseok mentions that it’s coming along much better than a couple of his other projects, and wants to run it by Hongsik-songsaengnim as soon as he can. Changkyun can’t help but be delighted at the prospect, and agrees. However, once this topic comes to an end, neither can think of something else to talk about.

Soon enough, though, they come to Changkyun’s house. Hoseok slows his pace, not sure if the younger would want to be walked to the front door or not. Changkyun notices this and smiles at him, opening his mouth to thank him for his concern. As soon as the words are about to leave his lips, though, the front door to his house opens.

“Changkyun-ah!” his mother’s voice calls out, waving to him. He waves back, and turns back to his hyung to tell him bye. “Is that a friend?” she asks, venturing out towards the sidewalk to get a better look. “You should invite him to stay for dinner!” Changkyun can feel an embarrassed heat rushing up his face, and he hopes it doesn’t cause too much of a blush. He doesn’t even know why he’s so embarrassed at the suggestion, but he can’t deny that he is.

“I can if you want me to,” Hoseok says in an attempt to put his mind at ease. Changkyun hesitates a moment, glancing between his mother and his hyung, before finally giving a small nod. Hoseok can’t help but smile at the invitation, and allows the younger to lead the way to the door. He bows immediately upon nearing the older woman standing in the doorway, throwing on a disarming smile as he straightens up.

“My, what a charming young man,” she comments, smiling widely at her son’s friend.

“I’m Shin Hoseok,” Hoseok introduces himself. “I’m a club-mate of your sons’.”

“Oh, right,” she nods, “the music club. You sure do keep my boys busy.” Hoseok merely chuckles at this, unsure of how else to respond. “Well, come on in. Another club mate of yours is already inside with Dankyun-ah.” Hoseok and Changkyun share a confused glance, having not known about this, but then smirk as they realize who it could be. They enter the house, unable to keep a chuckle from escaping them. The two follow the middle-aged woman to the living room, pausing in the entrance of the room a seeing the expected tall, model-esque boy sitting next to Dankyun on the couch.

“Hyungwon-ssi,” Hoseok says amusedly, earning a shocked glance from the younger. He his lips nervously, his pupils shaking slightly. Hoseok smirks at him, chuckling under his breath.

“Hyung,” Hyungwon greets, trying for a smile. Dankyun clears his throat, standing from the couch and moving towards his twin.

“Call me next time you decide to stay at school for so long!” he tells Changkyun, lightly slapping him on the back of his head.

“Yah!” Changkyun protests, pouting as he rubs the spot. It isn't as if the hit had actually hurt him, he just knows he can make his twin feel guilty if he acts like it did. Dankyun’s gaze hovers on Changkyun for a moment, wondering if he had hit harder than he had meant to.

“You two behave when we have company,” their mother chides them, giving them an affectionate smile as she leaves to put the finishing touches on dinner. The three then go to sit down, Dankyun rejoining Hyungwon on the couch and Hoseok and Changkyun deciding to sit on the floor so as to not get in the way of the lovebirds.

“How'd the song-writing go, hyung?” Hyungwon asks. “Hongsik-songsaengnim said that you two were working hard on it when he saw you.”

“Great,” Hoseok answers. “Changkyunnie shows great promise as a song producer. We even started a new project, and I'm going to run it by Hongsik during the next meeting.”

“You never said you were interested in that,” Dankyun comments, glancing at his brother surprisedly. Changkyun shrugs, avoiding his twin’s gaze for some unknown reason.

“I don't know,” he murmurs, “it looked cool on hyung’s laptop, so I asked him about it.” Dankyun hums in acknowledgment, an unreadable light filling his eyes. He shares a glance with Hyungwon, one that neither Hoseok or Changkyun can quite understand.

“Oh,” Dankyun says, “I just remembered. I won't be able to study with you tomorrow night, Changkyun-ah. Hyungwon-hyung is going to help me with the choreography a bit.” He then looks over at Hoseok, adding, “Maybe Hoseok-hyung could study with you instead.”

“I-,” Changkyun begins, taken aback by the sudden suggestion. Hyungwon nods, looking at Hoseok.

“That's perfect, hyung,” he says. “You need help in science, and Changkyun-ah is in a few advanced science classes. I'm sure he'd be able to help you.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Dankyun agrees, beaming from ear to ear. The two chuckle slightly, almost conspiratorially. Hoseok and Changkyun look at one another, unsettled by the mischievous laugh. The twins’ mother suddenly pops her head aback into the room, giving them all a smile.

“Dinner’s ready,” she announces brightly. “It's time to come to the table.”

“Thanks, Mom!” Dankyun immediately responds, popping up from his seat. He takes Hyungwon by the hand and leads him to the dining area, beginning to chat incessantly about his favorite kinds of food. Hyungwon merely watches him, a delighted smile overtaking his plump lips. Changkyun and Hoseok stand, following the couple from the room. They sit beside each other at the table, neither knowing quite why they feel so anxious about the prospect of studying with the other.