Chapter Ten

The Only One to See

It’s almost as if the entire club knows the following Monday whenever Hoseok and Changkyun walk into the room what’s happened. Of course, the underclassman had told his twin, who he’d expected to tell Hyungwon, but he’s honestly surprised the news traveled so fast from there.

As soon as they enter the room, there’s ‘ooh’s and kissy faces being thrown their way. Changkyun feels the tips of his ears burn, but that’s nothing compared to the mad blush forming on Hoseok’s cheeks.

“Just because you’re all lovey-dovey now,” Minhyuk says teasingly as the new couple puts away their things, “doesn’t mean we’re gonna start singing a bunch of ballads.”

“Of c-courthe not,” Hoseok stutters out, very much embarrassed by the whole thing. “l wouldn’t do that t-to you guys.” Changkyun tightens his grip on Hoseok’s hand consolingly, despite being in the same boat as him, and the older clings desperately to the hold for a moment. Changkyun can’t help but smile, finding his nervousness absolutely precious. It reminds him of a bunny pacing nervously in its cage. His smile only grows at the comparison.

God you look smitten,” Kihyun observes, though there’s no judgment in his voice. It takes a moment for Changkyun to realize the older is talking to him, and when he does he quickly drops his gaze and looks anywhere but Hoseok’s gorgeous face, but the action only earns a collective coo.  

“I remember when you used to look at me like that…” Minhyuk sighs loudly, staring pointedly at Jooheon. The other merely snorts, unamused, and rolls his eyes. Changkyun glances questioningly at Hoseok, having not realized the two were in a relationship in the first place. Minhyuk catches the gaze immediately, and he launches himself at Jooheon with a dramatic cry. “He didn’t even know we were together in the first place!!!! Jooheonney, love me more so people will know we’re together!”

Hyuuuuung,” Jooheon whines, pouting at the older with a pleading look for him to stop making a scene. He wraps his arms around the boy’s waist, nuzzling his head against his chest. Minhyuk smiles victoriously, cooing at his dongsaeng and hugging him close.

“How long have you two been together, hyung?” Changkyun asks, stepping closer to Hoseok without even realizing. The public display by the other two just makes him want to be closer to his new boyfriend. Hoseok chuckles beside him and rests a calming hand on his hip.

“The absolutely best year of my life~” Minhyuk answers, positively glowing with happiness. Changkyun can’t help but smile along with him, leaning his head against Hoseok’s side as he stares at the couple. “That’s nothing compared to the parents, though. They’ve been together since Kihyunnie and I were freshmen… technically. Though, I believe they started going out back when Hyunwoo-hyung was only a freshman, and Kihyunnie and I were in sixth-grade.” He adds the last bit in a conspiratory whisper, earning an exasperated sigh from his same-age friend.

“Stop talking like that, Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun tells him tiredly, shooting Hyunwoo an unreadable glance. “You’re gonna give Kyunnie the wrong idea.” Hyunwoo merely chuckles at the exchange, separating from the group to start up the music.

As if on cue, Dankyun and Hyungwon rush into the room, their jackets hanging off their shoulders and their shirts seeming a bit wrinkled. Minhyuk lets loose a loud, juvenile ‘oooooooooooh’ at their appearance, causing Dankyun to blush wildly. He presses his lips together in a way similar to how Changkyun does at times, his eyes glancing around at anything in the room except the faces of his friends and brother.

“Running late to the club because of a hot make-out session in the utility closet,” Minhyuk notes teasingly, smirking with a knowing light to his eyes. “Nice…”

“Okay guys,” Hyunwoo interjects before either can respond. “Let’s get to practicing. We can talk afterwards when we get coffee, like usual.” The others all hum in agreement, and they get into position. Changkyun and Hoseok share a glance, sheepish smiles pulling at their lips.

 

Four hours later, the boys are all walking out of the school building. The cool evening air brushes against their damp skin, and the setting sun casts a beautiful, fiery orange across the sky. Hyunwoo and Kihyun take the lead, while Minhyuk walks behind Jooheon with his arms around the younger’s waist. Hyungwon hangs off Dankyun’s shoulder, causing them both to sway as they walk. Changkyun and Hoseok are the last couple in the parade, having let all the others go ahead a few paces in order to create a sense of privacy for themselves.

“I don’t know,” Changkyun mutters, glancing down to the sidewalk thoughtfully. “Comedies just seem pretty trite to me most of the time. Horror movies are way more fun, especially when you go with someone who gets scared easily.” He pauses, casting a teasing look to the older. “You seem like you’d get scared easily, hyung~” Hoseok immediately pouts in protest, whining low in his throat at the accusation.

“I’m n-not,” he argues, though his tone is much too meek to be believed. Changkyun chuckles, squeezing Hoseok’s hand.

“We should go see a movie this weekend, then,” he suggests, quirking up a brow. He catches his brother shooting him a knowing smirk over his shoulder. Changkyun his lips nervously and drops his eyes to the pavement once more, his heart beating a bit faster at realizing what’s just passed.

Is this how it’s going to be now? Every simple conversation ending in talk of a date? They’d just been talking about the merits of different movie genres, and Changkyun had inadvertently asked Hoseok out. That is, if that’s even what he just did. Which, honestly, he isn’t sure is the case.

He’s so new to this, so uncertain about everything… Maybe he should do some research on it. After all, research has never failed him before, so it’d surely help now. That’s what he likes about science. It’s so straightforward, so easy for him to understand. And, for the more complex concepts, he can just look it up.

“What’re you thinking about?” Hoseok asks, breaking through his train of thought. Changkyun hums, glancing over fondly once more.

“Science~” the younger answers, grinning at the befuddled expression the single word brings to his boyfriend’s face. He giggles under his breath and nudges the older with his shoulder. A loose chuckle falls from Hoseok’s lips, still not really understanding but deciding to go along with it.

He’d be willing to go along with whatever Changkyun says.