Chapter Seven

The Only One to See

“Ready to go?” Hoseok asks, leaning against the set of lockers. Changkyun glances away from gathering his books, nodding his reply. He blinks rapidly, his lips as he closes his locker and zips up his backpack. “I-I thought that we could go to the coffee shop, if that's okay.” The freshman nods again, nervous energy swirling about in his stomach. After what happened the previous night, he's been jittery all day, especially around the other club members. When Kihyun saw him in the hallway between classes earlier that day, Changkyun practically jumped out of his skin he was so taken aback.

 

Neither speak until they're in the coffee shop, each too nervous to be very conversational. They sit down after ordering, and pull out their books. Hoseok had packed all his things for science p, specifically, because of what Hyungwon had said the night before. He figured he might as well ask Changkyun for help, if the younger can give it. Hoseok glances across to see what kind of notes the freshman brought, and sees it's a bunch of scribbles about history.

“Do you have a test coming up?” Hoseok asks, pointing at the notebook. Changkyun glances up, his tongue flicking out quickly and sliding across his bottom lip.

“N-Not really,” he mumbles. “I'm not too good at history, so I have to study a bit more for it than I do my other classes.”

“If you ever want help,” Hoseok says quickly, unable to hide the excitement from his voice, “I can tutor you. I'm pretty good at history.” For seemingly the first time that day, a smile comes to Changkyun a face. It has an immediate calming effect on Hoseok’s anxious heart rate, and Hoseok finds himself smiling as well.

“I'll keep that in mind, hyung,” Changkyun says, nodding. Hoseok nods as well, and turns his attention to the week’s notes. Changkyun looks up from his notebook, unable to keep himself from leaning closer at seeing the scientific equations on Hoseok's paper. “If you need help with science, like Hyungwon-hyung said,” he adds, “I'm more than happy to help. I kind of inherited my dad’s fascination with that stuff, and it comes pretty easily to me.” Hoseok hesitates before glancing up, already having a question.

“I've actually fallen behind a little,” he admits. He turns the notebook around so the younger can have a better look. Changkyun scoots closer in his seat, eyes squinting in interest. “I mean, I know you're only a freshman, but—”

“I've been taking advanced sciences since middle school,” Changkyun murmurs thoughtfully. “I'm actually in a college-level course right now.” He then moves away and begins to dig into his backpack, popping up after a few moments with a textbook. He flips through the pages, as if looking for something in particular, and finally pauses. He pulls out a different notebook, nodding as his eyes flit across the page. He looks back over Hoseok's notes, nodding once more understandingly.

“Here, hyung,” Changkyun says, pointing at the equation. “I think you wrote this down wrong in class. It'd make a lot more sense if you just,” he then draws a small circle around the coefficient, tracing a line out from it to signify making it an exponent, “move it there.” Hoseok looks down, surprised that the younger could've figured out so quickly what was wrong. He turns his notebook towards him and reads through the edited equation, everything making sense now. He chuckles admiringly, looking up at the younger with an impossibly bright smile.

“You're amazing, Changkyunnie,” he says, earning a straightening up in posture from the freshman.

“I am what I am,” he comments proudly. Hoseok laughs once more, finding his sudden inflation in confidence incredibly cute. Changkyun returns to his slouching position after a moment, flashing the older a smile.

Their gazes linger on one another for a moment too long. Upon realizing, Changkyun bashfully looks away, locking his gaze on his notes. Hoseok bites back a discontented sigh at this, wishing the younger felt more comfortable around him. He remembers what he had whispered to him the previous night, and realizes that this nervous behavior is most likely all his fault. It's no secret around campus how isolated the twins were before they joined the music club.

Girls always talked about the pair like they were unreachable beings on a completely different level than them. Hoseok had always heard the talk in the halls and thought it oddly annoying. Girls who didn't bother to get to know him had always spoken of him in such a way as well, and couldn't help but feel bad for the twins. They were just a pair of lone wolves, isolated by their own hurt and those around them not caring enough to get to know them.

Because of this, Hoseok realizes, Changkyun probably isn’t used to being flirted with. What he said last night to the younger could've very well pushed him away, taken him by such surprise he could've retreated into his shell. Hoseok pouts at this, very much not liking the thought.

“I'm sorry if what I said last night made you uncomfortable, Kukkungie,” he finds himself saying. Changkyun looks up in surprise, blinking rapidly. Hoseok runs his sentence through his head, trying to think of what could've surprised the younger so. He then realizes how he referred to the boy, blushing suddenly at his slip-up. “Oh, s-sorry,” he says quickly. “It's just… You’ve always been a bit of a—”

“It's okay, hyung,” Changkyun tells him, giggling slightly at how flustered he is. “I don't mind. I actually kind of like the nickname…” A relieved chuckle escapes Hoseok at this, earning an even wider smile from the younger. “Also, what you said last night… It didn't make me uncomfortable, exactly.” He speaks slowly, his eyes squinting as he chooses his words carefully. His concentration makes him oblivious to the impossibly bright smile overtaking Hoseok's face. “I actually… I liked the thought of you…” He pauses, puffing out an exasperated breath at how hard it is to say this. “I liked what you said,” he finally finishes, looking at every possible spot within the café but Hoseok's face.

“You're so cute, Changkyunnie,” Hoseok compliments, watching his nervous glancing about. Changkyun chuckles at this, at a loss for what else to do. Hoseok chuckles again, reaching across the table to grasp Changkyun’s hand. The younger freezes, his eyes dropping immediately at the touch. A warm buzzing sensation travels up from his fingers to his shoulder. He feels a smile coming to him, the warmth giving him indescribable delight.

They meet each other’s gazes, thoughts of studying completely gone.

“S-So,” Changkyun says after some time of silence, “since tomorrow’s Saturday, do you want to get together and study?” Hoseok's eyes widen, his smile faltering as his grip tightens on the younger’s hand. Changkyun worries for a moment if he's said something wrong, maybe has been too forward, but Hoseok's smile returns full-force.

“Of course,” he answers.

The two smile at one another, gazing contentedly into each other’s eyes for a bit too long. Neither realize they’re staring until the waitress comes by to give them their drinks. They look away, dropping each other’s hands to reach for their drinks, both blushing sheepishly.

 

They spend the passing hours talking about everything and anything. It seems impossible for them to run out of conversation topics, spending neither knows how long in that booth.

 

Suddenly, Changkyun’s phone begins to buzz in his pocket. He jumps in his seat, startled by the vibration. He pulls it out of his pocket, glancing down to check the caller ID. He frowns upon seeing his mother’s number flashing on the screen. He smiles apologetically at Hoseok, saying he better take the call.

“Changkyun-ah,” her frantic voice says on the other end, her tone causing Changkyun to straighten up anxiously. “Do you know where Dankyun is? Your father’s home and wants to talk with you both, but I haven’t been able to reach him.”

“He was supposed to be at an extra club rehearsal,” Changkyun answers. “He probably just hasn’t realized his phone is going off. I’ll try calling him.” His mother thanks him, and immediately hangs up. Changkyun puffs out a breath, pulling his phone away from his ear to find his brother’s number.

“Is everything okay?” Hoseok asks, raising a worried brow. Changkyun shrugs, pressing his phone to his ear once more. He waits, growing more and more anxious as the rings continue. Finally, after what seems an eternity, Dankyun answers the call. He sounds very chipper, and Changkyun can’t help but roll his eyes at his twin’s thoughtlessness.

“Answer your phone, hyung,” he says tiredly. “I just talked to Mom, and she’s kind of freaking out. You haven’t been answering her calls.”

“Oh,” Dankyun exclaims, his voice taking on a more worried tone. “Sorry, Hyungwon-hyung and I were at a movie. I’ll call her right now.”

“Dad’s home,” Changkyun warns. “He wants to talk with us about something.” Changkyun can feel the shift in his brother’s mood, his cheery demeanor turning icy in an instant.

“Okay,” Dankyun says, “I’ll see you at home.” He then hangs up without waiting for a reply. Changkyun his lips nervously, glancing at his phone as he pulls it from his ear. He quickly begins to pack his things, earning a pout from Hoseok.

“Sorry,” Changkyun mumbles, “I’ve got to get back.” Hoseok nods, packing his things as well. They stand after finishing, slinging their backpacks over their shoulders.

“Can I walk you home?” Hoseok asks, not quite ready to say goodbye yet. Changkyun can’t help but smile at the question, at how the older nervously plays with the straps of his backpack as he waits for an answer. Changkyun knows he should probably keep Hoseok away from his house tonight at all costs, but how can he say no to the older when he’s being so cute?

“Of course,” he answers. Hoseok beams over at him, slipping his fingers into the younger’s and leading him out of the café.