Chapter One

The Only One to See

Lim Dankyun and Changkyun are identical twins, which can make life fun at times. They’re able to get away with a lot more than most siblings, because people can never tell them apart. They also have the whole twin telepathy thing going for them, which they have to admit is pretty cool.

However, as mentioned, no one can ever tell them apart. This can be a bit frustrating, like when Dankyun had a crush and began dating this one guy in their first year of middle school. Things got extremely awkward when he mistook Changkyun for his brother, and resulted in an immediate breakup and a broken heart. In an effort to keep this from happening to his brother again, Changkyun began to isolate them both from the social atmosphere at school. Dankyun was too broken at the time to fight it, his sorrow and misery numbing himself to much of the goings-on around him.  But, this all changed in their first year of high school when their homeroom teacher halfway-forced them to join a music club.

 

“You’re too antisocial,” the teacher tells the twins, holding them back from class that fateful afternoon. “You need to socialize more with your fellow students, and joining a club will help you do that.”

“Why socialize with people when they can’t even tell us apart?” Changkyun fires back. The teacher sighs, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

“Look,” she says, “you’ve got the grades to get into any college of your choosing. You’ve both been at the top of your class for the past few years. But, what you’re missing is a glowing recommendation from faculty and campus participation.”

“Campus participation isn’t required for college,” Changkyun argues.

“No, but it’ll set you apart from the other applicants,” she defends. She slides across her desk a list of clubs of campus, saying, “I’ve already spoken with your parents, and they agree. You are to choose a club that you’re willing to dedicate time and effort to, and will report to the first meeting next week.” Changkyun glares down at the sheet, but is surprised when his brother picks up the paper.

“There’s a music club on here,” he murmurs. “You’ve always loved to rap, and I’m not too bad at producing stuff… Maybe we should give them a try?”

“That’s the spirit!” their teacher encourages, a smile spreading across her face. “I’m sure they’d be more than happy to have you. I’ll contact the faculty advisor and tell him he’s got two new members joining.” Changkyun’s continued silence causes his brother to glance over at him worriedly.

“It looks fun,” he tells him. “Changkyun-ah, please, let’s just try it?” Changkyun puffs out a sigh, unable to deny that whining tone.

“Alright,” he relents, already regretting it, “we can try it out.” Dankyun bursts out in a squeal of excitement, hugging his twin gratefully.

 

During their walk home, Changkyun is still a bit aggravated with getting ered into joining a club. He loathes the idea of rejoining the social aspect of school. Besides, why is his brother so eager to comply, anyway? He’s the whole reason Changkyun separated them both in the first place. They had been doing totally fine, making even a joke out of people being unable to tell them apart, but when that jerk mistook himself for his brother… He can still so clearly see Dankyun’s tear-streaked face as he broke up with his boyfriend. Had Dankyun forgotten so quickly what he had been through?

Whatever the reason, Changkyun has agreed to go with Dankyun to this new music club. He isn’t exactly thrilled with the idea, to say the least, but he can tell just by Dankyun’s slight skip in his step that his brother is excited to try it out. So, for now anyway, Changkyun resigns himself to doing what it takes to make Dankyun happy… again.

 

The next week, the twins find themselves standing in front of the meeting room. They hold hands, silently strengthening each other. They’re both indescribably anxious about joining a club, it having been so long since they even said hello to someone during a class break. But, they had agreed, and there’s no backing out now. Not that Dankyun would do so, Changkyun knows, but it’d be nice if that weren’t the case. They take a simultaneous breath to calm their nerves, and open the door.

“Ah, this must be the new members,” an older, chubbier man comments upon seeing them. They bow respectfully to the teacher. “Lim Changkyun and Dankyun, welcome.”

“Thank you for having us,” they say in unison. “Please treat us well, Hongsik-seonsaengnim.” The teacher, Hongsik, gives them an approving nod, and turns to the other members scattered about the room. “Boys, introduce yourselves to our new members.” The others quickly gather in front of the twins, bowing as one.

“I’m Son Hyunwoo, a fourth-year,” one of the taller ones introduces softly, his voice almost coming out in a mumble. “I’m also club president, and the leader of choreography. Welcome.” He bows again, his shyness causing the twins to glance at each other disbelievingly. There’s no way such a shy, big guy is a senior…

“I’m Shin Hoseok,” the second adolescent greets, a disarming grin brightening his face. He pushes back his blue and white hair casually, saying, “I mainly produce whatever songs we’re working on. Seonsaengnim said that you produce, too, Dankyun?” He glances pointedly at Dankyun, which surprises the Lim twins. How had this stranger guessed so easily which is Dankyun? Must be beginner’s luck or something… Dankyun nods slowly, causing the older’s smile to grow. “Great, we should get together and compare our styles.”

“I’m Lee Minhyuk,” a brunette greets with a sunny smile. “I’m the club’s secretary, and a vocalist on the team.”

“I’m Yoo Kihyun,” a pink-haired, noticeably shorter male tells them with a serene grin. “I’m the lead vocalist of the club, and also the club’s treasurer.”

“And nagging mom,” Minhyuk adds under his breath, earning a sideways glare from Kihyun.

“Myself, Hoseok-hyung, and Minhyuk-hyung, are all in our third year,” Kihyun continues. He nods, motioning for the next in line to go.

“Hi,” the tallest of the group greets in a low, soft voice, “I’m Chae Hyungwon. Jooheonney and I are both sophomores. I’m also a vocalist, although I like focusing more on writing lyrics.”

“I’m Jooheon,” the one wearing a snapback tells them with a wide smile and small wave. “Changkyun-ssi, Hongsik-hyung said that you like to rap?” He watches as Changkyun nods, and his eyes morph into small crescents. “I rap, too! Do you write your own lyrics?” Changkyun nods again, earning an excited outburst from the older. “That’s perfect! With all the vocalists on this team, we’ve been in need of another rapper, and one that can write lyrics with me is just what we were looking for.”

“I’m e-eager to work with you,” Changkyun says, mentally cursing himself for his own nervous stutter as he bows respectfully to all the upperclassmen. He hates it when he gets nervous like this, how it makes him stutter like crazy.

“We’re pretty relaxed here,” Hongsik explains. “I really just let you boys do what you want, just so long as you have a performance to show me at the end of each month.”

“Every meeting is mandatory,” Minhyuk goes on to say, “unless you’re sick and have to also miss school. It’s crucial that we have you with us for as long as possible so that you can perfect chorography, your part in the song, and stage placement. We’re trying to get first place in the school festival’s talent show this year, since it’s Hyunwoo-hyung’s last year before he goes off to a university. We sometimes have extra practices after school, too, which are also mandatory.”

“You’ll find we’re really competitive,” Hoseok adds, moving towards the twins. “Changkyun-ah, go on with Jooheon and see if you can add anything in with the song we’re working on now. It’d be great if you could. Dankyun-ah, come with me. We’re going to see how well you can work with the software we use.”

And with that, the twins are separated for the first time since entering the club room. Changkyun can’t help but notice how excited his brother is at the prospect of spending time with these strangers. He doesn’t understand why. Sure they seem nice enough, but they’ll all get them confused eventually, and he’ll be just as disappointed as last time. Especially if he ends up developing a crush on one of them…

He glances over at his brother working with Hoseok, noting how the two don’t stop smiling the entire time. He feels a twinge in the pit of his stomach, although he can’t identify what it could be. Probably just his never-ending want to protect his twin. Seeing him getting along so well with someone new is bound to bring that up. However, as he turns his attention back to Jooheon—who he notices is actually a pretty good rapper for only being in high school—, he can’t help but feel as if it’s something else causing this feeling.