Day Three, Books are great

Seven Days of Him

I heard my phone vibrate and went to check on it.

Good morning (:

It was a message from Sehun.

Good morning~~

I answered. I didn’t really know what to write though. I’m not really good with this thing called small talk. I kind of dislike it, to be honest. I waited a few minutes for a reply before I got out of bed. It didn’t seem like one was coming, so I put my school uniform on, deciding to wear it a little bit higher in the waist than we were allowed to, just to put some kind of individualism in to it. And maybe to get a certain someone’s attention. It was nice having uniforms, not needing to put a lot of effort into dressing in the morning, but I still preferred to show off my personality through my clothes.

Still no new messages. I felt slightly disappointed, even though I didn’t want it to ruin my day.We had had a great time yesterday, which nothing can change. Especially not a not answered message. Especially not since I didn’t really give him any reason to really reply. I shook my head, trying to clear my head.

Did you sleep well? :)

I finally received a message, several minutes after I had replied. I was happy I received a reply, though it was not anything interesting.

Yeah, I did

It felt so stiff, yet I didn’t know what else to write, as I didn’t like doing this kind of thing. I really wasn’t expecting an answer on this message, so I just continued down to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Maybe I should have put in a greater effort into that… but it would be weird to add something now.

 

As I had anticipated, no reply arrived. When it was finally time for lunch Sehun showed up just like he had done the two previous days. I smiled at him as I gathered my stuff, but he didn’t seem too pleased.

“Something’s up?” I asked him.

“You okay?” He asked me in return.

“Yeah, no problem, why wouldn’t I be?” I said, now confused. Was I supposed to not be okay?

“No… It’s just… This morning your reply… I don’t know, it was kind of… unenthusiastic? So I was just thinking that something might be wrong…”

I smiled at that.

“Oh my god, you’re so sweet”, I instinctively gave him a hug, without considering my actions. “No, I just thought it was our style… to be cold thought texts.” I paused when I saw the horrified look he gave me and smiled. “Nah, but I’m just not… a big small talker?”

I just realised my actions, getting physical with him, and a blush started spreading across my face. I’m a very physical person towards my friends, though I hadn’t considered his feelings in this. It didn’t seem that it had faced him that much, so I quickly regained my posture. After all, he had been hugging my shoulders a few times already. Which, for the record, I really enjoyed.

“So, where are we eating?” Someone just came up to us from behind, placing his arms around both of our shoulders.

I turned around to face that person, and on the same time in a swift movement I got rid of the arm around me.

“What?” I asked, now facing Chanyeol. A Chanyeol that looked both energetic and pleased with himself, probably from sucessfully disturbing us.

Sehun didn’t have the same reaction as me. He seemed like he was used to it.

“You’ve never wanted to have lunch with me before, why now?” He asked while shaking his head.

“Maybe it’s not you I want to eat lunch with”, was his reply, in a sing-song voice.

“She’s my girlfriend.” The words that had come out of Chanyeol’s mouth seemed to have phased Sehun a little bit, as he now also spun around as well, successfully getting away from the arm, and instead placing his arms around my waist. It felt good to hear those words. I liked it, even though it was just for pretend. It felt good that he at least cared for me enough to defend me like that.

“Not for too long”, Chanyeol said, still as happy.

I don’t think Sehun knew what to answer in this situation, in fear of offending me, I guess. Instead, he just rolled his eyes.

“So where are we eating?” Chanyeol repeated.

“Uh”, I started, unsure of what was really happening. I was hoping for Sehun to come to my rescue.

“I was planning on having a date with my girlfriend”, he said, with emphasises on the word “my”.

“Really? But what about me?” He turned to the puppy eyes, and – to be honest – looked very cute while doing so, alsmot cuter than Sehun. “Are you really going to dump your old friend for a girlfriend?”

Once again, Sehun rolled his eyes.

“We can dump him if you want to, but it will be harder to get rid of him than what might be worth the effort.” Sehun whispered in my ear.

I giggled at his words. They really did have a close relationship.

“It’s fine, we can bring Haeni as well, I think she enjoyed the lunch last time”, I answered in a louder voice than what Sehun had been using.

“So… I guess it is canteen then?” Sehun said, looking a little bit defeated. “I think I am starting to get used to that place by now.”

“It’s been two days”, I reminded him, yet giggling at his devastation.

“So I can come?” Chanyeol instantly turned into a happy puppy instead. I might not be the greatest fan of him since our first talk, but there was no denying in him being cute as a puppy.

“Haeni, are you coming?” I called across the classroom to my dearest friend. She nodded and came over immediately.

 

“Do you know what Chanyeol reminds me of?” I asked Sehun, while walking behind Haeni and Chanyeol toward the canteen.

“No, what?” He asked, highly amused.

“A Puppy.”

That immediately caught Chanyeol’s attention, who suddenly spun around.

“I ain’t no puppy”, he said, sounding ticked off.

“I didn’t say you were, just that you reminded me of one”, I still kept my smile, even though Chanyeol suddenly turned hostile. “A puppy is cute, it’s not a bad thing.”

“I ain’t cute, I’m manly.” Even though he was still hostile, he sounded less irritated.

I started laughing. The answer I got was just too cute. Finally, I wasn’t the one who was the worst at arguing.

“Sure you are”, was my sarcastic reply before I ran off towards the canteen. I was teasing him, but didn’t want to fully face the consequences of it as I really didn’t know him that well.

Sehun matched my speed and ended up standing right behind me in the line to the canteen. Haeni and Chanyeol was standing together a few people between us in line. Neither one was talking as Chanyeol seemed to be sulking.

Sehun and I quickly got our food and went straight for the table we had been sitting at the two previous days.

“This is unheard of”, Baekhyun commented when we arrived at the table. He put down his chopsticks and played a good role of surprise. A little bit too surprised maybe, but he got the message across clearly.

“Sehun, are you okay? Do you have a fever? Should we take you to the hospital?” Jeongyoon asked, sounding very concerned.

“Something must be wrong with him”, Suho concluded.

They were all joking around, and it didn’t really seem to bother Sehun.

“You guys want me to take my leave?” He asked while acting hurt. “I can sit somewhere else if you want me to.”

Everyone started laughing and we sat down right beside each other, just like we had done the previous days.

Chanyeol and Haeni, who had finally managed to get their food, came over to our table.

“What’s up, Yeollie?” Suho asked as he approached. “You seem down.”

“Yesol called him a puppy”, Sehun answered proudly, as he patted me on my shoulder.

That seemed to be the cue for another full-fledged laughter.

“What?” I asked, very confused in why this was such a funny matter.

“You hurt his pride”, Jongin managed to squeeze out in between his laughter.

Chanyeol stopped sulking and started to look mad. He looked mad, yet he decided to slam down his tray at the table, almost knocking a glass of water over.

“Great friends”, he mumbled to them. This just made them laugh more when they had finally started to calm down.

“Yeollie, you know we love you still”, Suho said, who was the first person to collect himself enough from laughing that he was able to speak a few words.

“Yeah, yeah”, was Chanyeol’s answer before he finally sat down.

“On a more serious note”, Suho said, “Are you two okay? Both of you are extremely out of character.”

“So I’m not allowed to sit down and have a meal with my friends?” both of them asked in unison. They really had known each other for long.

After laughing a bit more the whole issue was dismissed and everyone went back to what I had found to be normal for them.

“Question time”, I suddenly blurted and turned toward Sehun.

This seemed to have made Sehun happy, as he quickly turned towards me as well, and gave me a big toothy smile.

“Bring it on”, he challenged me.

“You were reading Sopyeonje earlier, I saw”, I started out. Mentioning the book seemed to have really caught his interest as he leaned forward. “I really like that book, so I gotta ask, what other books have you read and liked?”

“Most people would go for asking about favourite movies…” He said lingering. “But you decided to go for books, I like that. I prefer books.”

“So that’s why you’re so smart”, I said, more to myself than to anyone else. He chuckled at my observation.

“Anyhow, I think my favourite book must be Our Twisted Hero”, he answered me. “I really like how it’s written. It’s quite complex and hard to understand at first, but it leaves the reader with some interesting questions.”

I nodded. “You have quite the sophisticated taste!” I remarked. “Not many people of our generation have read either of those books, even if they used to be very popular when they were released, and still is within the older generation.”

“I like older books, you can learn a lot from them, both in life teachings, and about the world that existed before we were placed here.” His words were mesmerising. He seemed so wise right now. I think I fell for him a little with just those words.

“That is true”, was all I could answer. He then asked me about the books I enjoyed to read, as he assumed I also read a lot.

The remaining part of the lunch we just kept on discussing books. Sometimes the other joined in in our discussion, but they quickly lost interest as we were talking about many different books which they hadn’t even heard off.

The lunch hour seemed to have gone by in a blur, and way too soon it was time to go back to our classrooms.

“I didn’t really like 1984, if I am to be honest”, he admitted. “Like, I love the way it was written, especially the dairy entries, but just… I didn’t really enjoy the end.”

“I feel like I am letting all booklovers down when admitting this, but I agree with you”, I answered him as I stopped outside of my classroom. “But I guess this is a discussion for later, as you need to get back to your class.”

He gave me a smile, like he did so many other times during the day. A smile I had grown fond of seeing in just three days. I will miss it a lot when this week is over.

“See you after class?” he asked.

“Yes, of course”, I answered. He seemed pleased to hear that and nodded me goodbye.

 

Classes ended and Sehun was not waiting by his usual spot in the doorframe. He always did it. I wondered how he managed to finish all his classes before me. This time he hadn’t though.

“Uh, do you know where Sehun’s classroom is?” I asked Haeni, throwing one more glance towards the door.

“Uhuh, prince Charming hasn’t come yet? Trouble in paradise?” She joked and earned herself a playful punch from me.

“Nah, I’m just guessing his classes aren’t over yet”, I answered her.

“Has he dumped you already?” She continued teasing me.

“My god, I’ll just ask someone else”, I said and rolled my eyes. Haeni laughed at me.

“You don’t even know which classroom your boyfriend is in? That’s bad”, she pointed out and shook her head slightly. “Anyhow, he’s on the fourth floor, in room 406, basically right above us.”

“I knew I could trust you with knowing facts that I don’t”, I said and gave Haeni a light hug. “You complete me.”

She laughed at my comment and waved me off as I set off through the corridors.

It didn’t take long to get to the other classroom, as it was just a floor above, even though there were a lot of students moving around in the corridors. When I arrived at the correct door I tried to sneak a peak in to the classroom. I was too afraid to do it fully, and so I was unable to get a good look on whether or not class is still ongoing.

I decided to put my ear against the door and listen instead. I could hear voices inside. It didn’t sound like the authorial voice of a teacher though, and it sounded more like a conversation. I couldn’t make out the words.

The moment I realised it was very impolite to listen in on someone’s conversation the voices stopped and I could hear steps coming towards me. Before I had time to react the door that I had been leaning against opened, and I fell forward.

The moment I hit the ground, or was supposed to at least, I felt something soft wrap around me.

“You know it’s rude to listen in on peoples conversations?” I could hear a now very familiar voice say.

“I didn’t mean to listen, I swear!” I quickly responded. I was still wrapped in Sehun’s arms, and I didn’t have the courage to face him. So I kind of just stayed put.

“Well, evidence says something else”, he chuckled, also not moving anywhere.

I wish I could appreciate this moment more, being wrapped in Sehuns arms, but right now I was just really embarrassed and tried hard to think about how to explain the situation.

“I mean, I tried to listen”, I finally admit.

“Hm?”

“But it was only because I wanted to know if there was an ongoing class or not. I swear I didn’t hear anything.”

“So, this is the girl?” I now heard a third voice. It was a lot more authorial than I first thought hearing it through the door. It was in fact a very manly voice.

I finally moved a little bit, peeking up at whoever was the other person present. Sehun also moved, more than me. He turned around so he faced the other, still keeping one arm protectively around me. That gave me butterflies in my stomach. The situation wasn’t threatening or anything, it was just… very casual. Not a big deal. Even though it felt like a big deal in my stomach.

“What?” I asked, very confused about what was happening.

“Nothing”, Sehun said and glared at the guy. Not in an intimidating way, only in a way that told him he should shut up.

“I guess I’ll see you both on Friday then”, the guy said and started walking past us, away from the classroom.

I gave Sehun a questioning look, hoping he would explain.

“Kris invited us to a party”, he said and shrugged his shoulders. “Enough about that, what do you want to do?”

I still wanted to ask more, but since Sehun didn’t say anything else I left it at that.


Ahhh I'm finished with the exams now! And it went terrible, ugh. I don't look forward to seeing my grades, hahaha. Did you know South Korea had a change fron the ruling party to the opposition in both 1997 and 2007? Neither did I, but I guesses, and I got it correct, hahaha~

Ohwell, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! It will soon become less fluffy~ So enjoy it while it lasts!