Day One, Banpo Bridge

Seven Days of Him

As Sehun promised, he was at the door waiting for me the minute the teacher stepped out of the classroom. I smiled and waved a little bit at him as I gathered the stuff that was spread out all over my desk.

“See you tomorrow”, I said to Haeni as I hurried out of the classroom.

“Good luck”, she sang back at me and winked.

I decided not to dignify her with an answer to her suggestive goodbye.

“How was class?” Sehun asked me when I got in to normal conversation distance with him.

“Class was… class”, I answered with a shrug. “Nothing really exciting happens. I really liked the lesson we had now, though, I guess. It was history, incredibly interesting.”

I started talking about the content of the class, about the ridiculous axe-murders that took place in Panmunjom several years ago. It took me quite some time of just blabbering until I realised Sehun was only listening to me, not actually saying anything himself, besides the occasional hints that he was still listening. He was still smiling, at least that is good, right?

“Oh my god”, I cried out. “I am so sorry if I bore you, it is just that I really love history. Just stop me when I go on a rant about whatever. I am right now probably just boring you to death.”

“Don’t ever be sorry about talking what you like about”, he said quickly, suddenly turning serious. “If someone makes you apologize for talking about what you like, they should not be your friend.”

I suddenly halted and just stared at him. I felt like I almost wanted to cry from his words. I had been told so many times by different people to just shut up when I was talking, but he truly valued what I was saying. It was such a big surprise.

“Thank you”, I said quietly, still staring at him. I could see him become a little bit uncomfortable with the change of my mood, and so I lowered my eyes and started walking again. It seemed like he realised the big impact his words had on me, because he – once again – put his arm around my shoulders. I liked that gesture, I liked it a lot.

The short distance that was left to the school library we walked in silence, and I finally started to enjoy it. I hadn’t known this boy for long, but he was really sweet, and made me feel at ease without much effort.

Arriving at the library we scanned our cards to get in. We didn’t say much more, as we were not allowed to talk in there. I just led the way to my favourite place to sit. Luckily no one had taken it. It was a rather small table by the windows in the furthest away place from the reception area. I liked the privacy and I loved the view.

Sehun stopped for a small while and then nodded, seemingly approving of the view.  While I sat down and unpacked my things he came close to me. I could feel my heart beat faster. If he were much closer he would also feel my heart, unless he did not already.

“I’m going to get a book”, he whispered. I could feel his breath on my ear, as he had to come close to keep as quiet as possible. I think he succeeded in barely making any noise at all, he was that close. Due to the closeness, I could still hear him, though.

I made a thumb up, confirming that I had heard what he whispered and he then disappeared. I started going through the notes I had taken during class, as well as tidying them up a bit.

He soon came back with a copy of Sonpyeonje in his hand. I was surprised at his choice, I didn’t expect him to read that kind of books. I don’t even know if I expected him to read at all. On a second thought, he was incredibly smart, so he had probably read a lot.

I kept on losing focus, finding myself looking at the boy in front of me, way too many times. He even caught me doing it a few times, and gave me a smile in return. It was really no use in sitting here any longer. I had read the same page over three times now, without understanding anything of the content.

I closed the book which caught Sehuns attention. He had almost already finished the book he was reading, which wasn’t that long. I gestured towards the exit with my head and he smiled and nodded. He then pointed at the book and towards the place where you borrow them. I nodded, understanding that he was going to borrow it.

As I collected all of my things once again he went to the service counter. I finished first and quickly walked over to him, who just finished when I got there.

We walked out the library together, and when we were finally out I broke the silence.

“I read the same page three times over, and I still couldn’t understand it”, I said. “Usually I would stay in the library until at least 6, so that I wouldn’t have to go home during rush hour… but today I shall give up early.”

He laughed at me.

“Have you already fallen for me?”

“God, do I have to remind you again to not think too highly of yourself?” I said and playfully punched him.

“Ow, that hurt”, he said and grabbed both of my wrists. “What should I do with you now? We can’t have you go around hitting people.”

 I screamed, not loud, just by surprise when he grabbed me, and several head turned towards us. We both started laughing.

When we both had calmed down, enough to not start laughing as soon as we looked at each other, Sehun started talking.

“You wanna go somewhere?” he asked. “We can go anywhere, I have all the time in the world, and I can call a taxi.”

“You really make me feel special”, I said, half joking, half serious. “I prefer to walk. Taking a car is boring. Besides, I easily get carsick. That’s probably not something you want to witness me being.”

He laughed at that.

“I’ve seen most things”, he said. “But if you want to walk, we can walk. We would just clash with rush hour, anyway. Where do you want to do?”

It felt like he was a lot easier to convince now. Throughout the day he seemed to have matured greatly, or maybe I was just seeing all of his sides mashed in to one day. I did enjoy the company of the mature Sehun quite a lot. The pouting 5-year-old was cute, but I loved holding actual conversations.

“Anywhere”, I answered him and took his wrist. “Let’s just walk aimlessly.”

I dragged him after me and heard him mumbling something about me being a free spirit.

After a lot of aimless walking we ended up away from school, all the way to the side of Banpo Bridge. By this time my feet was starting to hurt, as we had been walking for hours.

I suspect Sehun’s feet hurt just as much when he suggested we should sit down and enjoy the view. We had just made it to the first lightshow of the night, and so there were quite a lot of people gathered around us.

“To be honest, I have only been here once before”, I said reminiscing about the past. “I went with Haeni, a few years ago. Since we both had never been, and didn’t have a boyfriend at that time, we decided to come here on a date. We were eating the most delicious chocolate kebabs at that time. Sadly the place is close –  It’s starting!”

I didn’t have time to finish my story, not that it was important or anything. We both leaned in towards each other a little bit and it truly felt like a real date. I could totally get used to this. I forgot everything else for the moment and I just enjoyed living. It was a really nice moment.

Sadly it had gotten a little bit chilly during the night, and as I hadn’t prepared for going out this evening I had only a thin blouse over my shoulders. I started rubbing my hands on my arms to get some warmth. It wasn’t much left of the play, so I should be able to suffer through it.

Sehun had other thoughts. He took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders. It was a really nice gesture, but he was only wearing a T-shirt, which made me feel bad.

I denied his attempt at being chivalry and gave him back the jacket.

“You’ll freeze”, I told him quietly. “It’s okay.”

“No it’s fine, really,” he said and once again offered me his jacket.

“No, I’ll feel guilty if you end up freezing when I am warm,” I answered, putting his jacket back on him again.

“No – “ he started once again. I stopped him with my finger before he could say anything else, placing it on top of his lips. I could feel his breath on the tip of my finger. I really hoped my fingers didn’t smell bad, and wished I had washed my hands two more times last time I went to the toilet. Why do I even care?

“Okay, let’s do this”, I began to say. “You keep the jacket on…. And I’ll have your arm around me.”

Feeling content with my solution I offered him a satisfied smile.

He started chuckling.

“So audacious. Do you have any shame at all?”

I pretended to give his question a thought before I answered.

“No, not really.”

That earned me a full-fledged laughter. I didn’t even notice the lights turning off and the show ending when I was looking at him. He looked handsome, even though our surroundings were not that lit up. He was smart, and he was funny. The time I had spent resenting him, without actually knowing him, was a great waste of time. Well, I hadn’t really been resenting him, but I had criticised him way more than he deserved.

His laughter died and he also started looking at me. For several moments, we were just looking at each other, watching the play of shadows occur across the other person’s face. This was probably the best time to kiss. I kind of wanted it. I didn’t want to do it with someone who didn’t like me for real, though.

Thinking about how many girls Sehun had dated before me I finally managed to get myself out of the trance that had captured me.

I cleared my throat and started talking.

“It’s getting late.”

“It’s only eight-thirty”, he complained a little. I smiled at him.

“I didn’t really get any studying done at the library, and I still have some things to read through before tomorrow. My parents will also be worried. I don’t think they would approve of me being out with a stranger later than nine.”

“Wait, so they would let you go out with a stranger, as long as it is before nine, then?” he teased, after noting my words.

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it”, I retorted. I did smile at his joke, though. “I guess it was an awkwardly worded thing to say.  Nevertheless, I need to go home.”

He made a pouting face, luckily not going full on five-year-old with me this time.

“Okay”, he eventually agreed. “It is just that I had a lot of fun today. It feels like we have known each other for ages, even though it has just been a day.”

“I bet you say that to all the girls”, I said and winked. It still created some very small butterflies in my stomach, hearing that. “You know, we said 100% honesty.”

Even though I protested he ended up following me home. Luckily, we didn’t walk. I don’t think my feet would have been able to handle that. I managed to arrive home just before nine, as it went a lot quicker tarveling by Subway than it did walking.

“Wow, you’re lucky, you live quite close to school”, he observed when we arrived at my apartment.

I nodded as a reply.

“See you tomorrow then”, I said and waved him off. Before I could go inside he started saying something.

“So, what time do you go to school?”

“You are not walking me to school”, I said threatening.

“Oh, come on, I always do that”, he said and pretended to have really big puppy eyes.

“You are not doing that tomorrow”, I answered cockily. “Wanna fight me? Here. Now. I’m ready.”

“Yeah let’s go”, he challenged me. I closed in on him while holding my head high, to show that I was the boss. He looked down on me, considering the apparent height difference and didn’t release my eyes for even a second.

As I kept walking closer to challenge him on a duel he didn’t back off, nor break eye contact, so I just walked closer. I did not want to lose. Neither did he.

Eventually we stood mere centimetres apart, and I could for the third time today feel his breath, this time on my nose. I tried staying serious, but I just couldn’t.

I started laughing. I lost.

“You are still not coming here tomorrow, I will not tell you when I will walk to school and if there’s anything else… send me a message.” After that I turned around, not waiting for a reply. I felt like I had won by that, even though it could probably be seen as childish as Sehun was this morning. I guess we were on the same level, still.


Yoooo, idk what date I am actually updatig this story... I just know it some time around Thursday, so yeah... I guess I was a little bit late this week.

Aaaanyway, today's my 6th anniversary here on aff (tbh, I didn't even know it myself), but yeah... congrats to me! :D