And then they were three

Golden Days

Sehun was dead tired and if Luhan's loud snores were anything to go by the other was just as tired. It had been a little over three weeks now since they hadn’t been getting much sleep.  Lucky for them they had taken out vacation time at work to avoid being any more tired than they already were.  All this done in effort to make their baby girl feel safe in her new home.  It still felt a little odd to Sehun to think that he was now officially a parent. Just last month they had finally been told that they would be able to bring home the little girl that had stolen their hearts the minute they had laid eyes on her.

 

Sehun remembered that day very clearly. They had gone on to agency unsure of anything and a little nervous.  Luhan having to be his rock because everything got much too real for Sehun when they stepped into the infant wing of the orphanage. They had come in during lunch time and were told that they would have an hour to interact with all the babies and comeback as many times as they wanted until they felt ready to make a choice. That hadn’t been necessary though because once they got the chance to meet Mina they couldn’t think of anyone else. The baby girl had been fusing in one of the caregivers arm capturing Luhan's attention at first. Luhan had raced over and asked if he could hold the baby girl. Mina it seemed took a liking to Luhan because as soon as she was in his arms she stopped fussing. Sehun had taken upon himself to ask to hold her next and as soon as she looked up at him with a curious gaze he was a goner. Her eyes were wide and a beautiful caramel brown that reminded him so much of Luhan's.

 

And now here they were in their living room, Luhan passed out on the couch with a baby blanket still draped over his shoulder, the room covered in random toys diapers and clothes. Sehun was just about to take a seat and rest his eyes for a little bit before cleaning up the mess that would surely be there again tomorrow night when his little princess decided to wail loudly into the baby monitor. He slowly got up from his crouching position and headed upstairs to check on her.

 

He got to the doorway and waited as he had been instructed to do by so many people to hear if maybe she could go back to sleep on her own but the loud shriek that left the her lips had Sehun rushing inside and taking her out of her crib to cradle her in his arms.

 

“Alright Mina it’s okay.” Sehun whispered bouncing his arms slightly to relax the child. He walked around her room until her crying became soft hiccups.

 

“See everything's okay.” Sehun told her as he took a seat in the rocking chair that was in the corner of the room.

 

He didn’t dare turn on the light knowing the baby would never go to sleep so he sat in the darkness rocking the baby back and forth.

 

“Okay Mina it's nighttime and you know you have to sleep. We can play all day tomorrow but-” He let out a tired yawn, “Right now, you really need to sleep okay princess?”

 

The baby only snuggled her face into her dad's chest before blinking up tiredly at him.

 

“See, you’re tired! So please close your eyes kay?” He said as if the baby girl could actually understand him. In a last attempt to get the baby to sleep he began to softly hum a lullaby his parents used to sing for him when he was younger. Ten minutes and the baby was once again sound asleep.

 

Sehun let out a relieved sigh. Slowly he stopped rocking in the chair and got up. Cautious to not wake the baby and have to start all over. He placed the baby in the crib gently. Once he felt like she wasn’t going to wake up he walked over to the stereo and turned the volume to the lowest setting before playing the CD of lullabies his brother had gifted him for the baby.  Giving the baby girl a quick kiss on her forehead he tiptoed out of the room making sure to leave the door slightly open.

 

When he finally reached the downstairs Sehun ran his hands through his hair debating whether or not he should try to take a nap now or just clean.  He looked over at the clock by the kitchen and saw it was past midnight. If he was lucky Mina wouldn’t wake up for another three or four hours. Deciding that maybe getting in any amount of sleep was better than no sleep, he walked over to the couch Luhan was currently snoring at and took a seat next to him. Letting his head fall back into the couch Sehun closed his eyes and let sleep take over.

 

In truth, it was all their fault it was hard to get Mina to sleep. As inexperienced parents they had made a tremendous mistake the first week they had brought the baby girl home.  They had been so enraptured by the cute baby girl that they almost never let her out of their arms. They wouldn’t even let her sleep in the room they had spent so much time decorating because they couldn’t bear to have her that far away.  The baby had grown accustomed so fast to sleeping with her dads and always being in their arms that it had been a complete nightmare to get her to sleep in her own room the following week.

 

Sehun and Luhan had had no plans to stop sleeping with the baby girl between them, but after Luhan’s mother had heard what they were doing she had flipped out. She had explained to them that babies get really spoiled that way and that if they didn't stop they could end up never being able to leave her. Considering how both of them would be returning to work eventually both Luhan and Sehun had decided to maybe get the baby to sleep in her crib. It was after that that they had lost sleep. Mina had decided to prove her grandma right and refused to sleep in her crib. She would only go to sleep in either of her parents arms.

 

The situation had gotten better after Luhan's mom had scolded them once more for not gradually letting the baby get used to sleeping on her own. So first they had simply moved the crib into their room. That seemed to work fine. It was when they moved the crib back to her room that they found the real trouble. But they were just as stubborn as she seemed to be and planned on getting her to sleep in her own room.

 

It had killed Luhan at first. He hated to see her cry and thought it was much to cruel to let her sleep on her own. If it hadn’t been his own mother who had told him it was for the best he probably wouldn’t have ever thought to put the baby into her own room. It also took Sehun to put things in perspective for him but that was besides the point now. At least they were on their way to finally getting her to sleep in her own room. The biggest problem just always seemed to be getting her to sleep. Once she was out she was out for a good amount of time before she either got too hungry or too wet.

 

Luhan woke up around 3 in the morning. He blinked around in the dark trying to remember where he had passed out when he heard light snoring coming from his side. He wasn’t all too surprised to find his husband asleep next to him. He was a little surprised that neither of them had been able to make it to their own room though. The last thing he remembered was that he just wanted to rest his eyes while Sehun put the baby to sleep so that they could both get started on the cleaning, but he must have passed out.  He let out a tired yawn before getting up and draping the baby blanket on Sehun. He was going to head for the kitchen to get a glass of water when he could hear Mina shuffling from the baby monitor. Figuring she could be hungry he decided he might as well make a bottle just incase. When he had that ready, he headed upstairs and soon Mina started crying.

 

“Aww Mina don’t cry.” Luhan cooed as he placed the bottle down on the dresser by the door before heading to her crib.

 

Mina seemed to calm at her dad’s words and just made complaining noises. “I swear you’re so sneaky. You were gonna cry if I didn’t show up weren’t you.” Luhan teased picking her up out the crib.

 

“So what is it now missy? Are you wet?” Luhan asked checking her diaper and shaking his head.

 

“Hmmm not wet and no poo soo is my Mina hungry?” He asked again before grabbing the bottle and placing it between her lips. He let out a short laugh when the baby greedily started on her bottle. “Yup, hungry” he whispered as he rocked back and forth on each foot while holding the bottle to the baby's lips. Once she was done Luhan flipped her in his arms so that her head was resting on his shoulder. He softly patted her back in hopes of getting her to burp and almost gave a cheer when she did.

 

“Good job Mina!” he cooed going back to rocking her so that he could put her back to sleep.

 

After successfully getting Mina to sleep Luhan went downstairs with the empty bottle in hand ready to take on cleaning. Of course he shouldn’t have worried because apparently his husband was up and getting their living room to look more like a living room than a play room.

 

“I didn’t think you’d be up till much later.” Luhan said as he came up to his husband who was busy putting the toys back in their basket.

 

Sehun looked over at him and smiled, “I think I’m just used to her schedule now.”

 

Luhan chuckled at that “I think I am to. If you find any of her bottles or dishes bring them to the kitchen” he said patting Sehun on the before leaving.

 

Sehun watched Luhan walk away shaking his head in amusement and went back to fixing up the living room. They both finished their chores in an hour and both plopped down on the couch. Luhan looked over at Sehun noticing how exhausted the other looked. He took it upon himself to wrap his arms around his waist and snuggle into his chest. Sehun smiled down at him and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

“How long do you think we have till she wakes up?” Sehun asked eyes closed.

 

“Hmmm. I don’t know we should sleep before she does get up though.” Luhan replied back half asleep already.

---------------------------------------------------

 

Two months later and Sehun and Luhan found life slightly easier. Mina was now four months and officially sleeping in her own room without anymore struggles. They could now comfortably sleep in their own bedroom and just lightly shove the other whenever Mina got up. Most nights it was Sehun, but he didn't mind much since he had started working once more and felt like he didn't spend enough time with his baby girl anyway. Luhan was the stay at home dad for the most part because he could work from home and he had found it almost impossible to leave his baby girl with a babysitter or at a daycare. Sehun was a little relieved to have Luhan at home because even though he had tried to show a tough face and say they totally could leave Mina in the care of strangers he actually didn’t feel comfortable at all. In fact they had tried doing it when their time was up and had to go back to work but Sehun couldn’t do it and ended up crying. It was a rare sight even for Luhan who had been with Sehun for so long. Luhan had saying that Mina had him completely wrapped around her little fingers something that Sehun hadn’t even tried to deny.

 

“Okay Mina now your daddy is sleeping so we have to be quiet okay.” Luhan said lifting up the baby girl from the changing table.

“Boy, Mina you’re getting so big. Do you think I’m feeding you too much?”

 

The little girl only gave him a confused look before poking his nose and giggling. Luhan rolled his eyes but grabbed onto her little hand and kissed it.

 

“You silly goose shall we get breakfast started?” He cooed earning another round of giggles which he took as a yes and headed down stairs.

 

It was part of Luhan's routine to get Mina up and fed before starting on breakfast while Sehun got ready for work. Today though instead of having Sehun rush around the house he was going to let him sleep in seeing as it was the weekend.

 

“So is it a pancake or waffle day?”Luhan asked Mina as he placed her in her high chair.  Making sure the baby was securely strapped in he placed a handful of cheerios on her little table. Mina let out what Luhan assumed to be a cheer as she grabbed a cheerio and tried putting it into making Luhan chuckle.

 

“Hmmm I’m thinking it’s a waffle kind of day.” Luhan said as he walked around the kitchen to get the things he would need. He laid everything out on the kitchen counter and glanced over at Mina. He was happy to see that she was doing just fine playing and eating her cheerios.  He turned back to one of the cupboards to get some baby food.  A loud giggle from Mina made Luhan turn in surprise to find his husband peppering kisses all over Mina’s face.

 

Luhan couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Just then Sehun turned to face him with a blinding smile that made Luhan’s heart race.

 

“Morning Gorgeous.” Sehun greeted.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t wake up till later.”

 

Sehun shrugged before standing straight and walking over to Luhan. He wrapped his arms around the other's waist while Luhan let his arms wrap around Sehun's neck.

 

“Bed felt too cold without you so I got up.” Sehun explained. Luhan smiled up at him before placing a chaste kiss on his lips.

 

“Well since you’re up want to feed Mina while I get started on the waffles?”

 

Sehun nodded and kissed Luhan one more time before heading over to Mina.

 

“Alright Mina what do you want for breakfast?” Sehun asked pulling up a chair in front of Mina’s high chair.

 

“She wants her daddy to puree some bananas and apples.” Luhan called out as he started mixing the ingredients for the waffles

 

“Excuse you I believe I was speaking to Mina?” Sehun said turning in his seat to look at Luhan.

 

Luhan only smiled as he watched Sehun get up from his seat and start getting the fruit and blender. They worked in relative silence(because the blender was loud but thank god Mina finally got used to it) as Mina watched on and continued eating her cheerios. Sehun poured the pureed apple and banana mixture into one of Mina’s little bowls and headed over to his chair in front of Mina.

 

Luhan was almost done making the waffles. All he was waiting on was for the skillet to heat up so that he could actually start making them. As he waited he watched Sehun feed Mina and couldn’t help the butterflies that fluttered rampantly in his stomach. He couldn’t imagine having married anyone else at moments like these. He knew Sehun had been scared at first when they had first talked about becoming parents. He knew that that fear hadn’t really gone away until after Mina was finally in their home. But even with all that Luhan knew Sehun would be an amazing dad. He loved watching Sehun talk and play with Mina. It was so funny to see his husband who was known to be too serious become a pile of mush for her. Luhan didn’t even mind being the stay at home parent because Sehun was so involved with helping with whatever and whenever Luhan needed him.  He didn't feel like he was missing out on anything or that he was the main parent. They shared the work equally. Sehun was his partner in every sense of the word and Luhan would never change what he had now for anything in the world.