day twenty

Subjects 3XO

 

Byun Baekhyun, day twenty 4:17 am

I’ve been having the same nightmare for the past week. It's been seriously affecting my sleep. Every night I wake up sooner than the night before. I think I’ve gotten about 18 hours of sleep this week. If I had any recommendations for keeping your health I would tell you to sleep. Every glance of myself in a reflective surface shows just how badly the lack of sleep has affected me. The bags under my eyes are a deep purple, a stark contrast to the usual whiteness of this place. If the me from twenty days ago were to see the me now, he wouldn't recognize himself. My energy is at an all time low and I'm lucky to even have enough to drag myself to that god forsaken testing room. I often find myself wishing I hadn’t woken up that first day. I could just be blissfully encompassed by darkness, no worries about tests or figuring out how the hell I even got here and where I came from.
The room is still white, although, in the darkness it almost looks gray. The bed sheets are lying on the floor, thrown down as I thrashed in my sleep. I can see the goosebumps on my arm, I didn’t realize how cold my room was at night. My breath is still heaving, like I was running a marathon in my dream. That wasn’t too far from reality. I can still feel the remnants of the nightmare at the edge of my mind, just far enough so that I can’t reach. I’m thankful for that, it means my heartbeat can slow down.
As it turns out, there’s not a lot you can do in the middle of the night besides sleeping here. You can contemplate life and your surroundings but I’d rather not do that. My life is mostly a blank aside from the last twenty days and those include being here. As for the surroundings part, they’re drab and depressing. A single color that I’ve grown to hate whose shade only changes in the night when the lights are out.
Speaking of lights, I think I’ve figured out what my talents are. I’m not certain but all the signs are there. The light particles, the invisibility, the lamp, they all lead to one conclusion; somehow I’m able to bend light to my will. Well, not to my will. Not yet, at least. It hasn’t been happening consciously, it hasn’t been happening at all these days. I’m sure, however, that if I try I can bring it out on command. Maybe if I start practicing now, I’ll get the hang of it soon enough.
I decided to begin by staring at my hands and imagining light seeping from my palms. I was convinced that if I imagined hard enough, it would eventually happen. Wasn’t that how superpowers were supposed to work?
Minutes passed and nothing happened, my eyes were burning from the strain of staying awake to stare at my palms. It didn’t help that I honestly couldn’t see them all that clearly due to the lack of light in the room. I was hoping I could fix that once I figured out how exactly this was supposed to work. It wasn’t like these powers came with a ‘How to’ guide.
My best options would be to experiment. To make an attempt at channeling my energy into condensed light. After all, energy can be converted into light.
Where any of my information about the details of how light works came from, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. All I know is that I know a lot. It could come in handy if I ever managed to access my abilities. I could make myself invisible on command, I could incapacitate the cameras, I could do a lot of things. I could probably escape… like Master Kim said I could.
The thought sent shivers down my spine, I suddenly felt the need for the warmth of those light particles. They had comforted me before but when I needed them in the middle of the night, they decided it would be better not to show themselves.
I’m not sure why I was thinking of them as sentient beings, they quite obviously weren’t. Still, something told me that there was something more behind them than I had seen during that first encounter that only lasted so long.
I was straining my eyes too much in trying to force something, anything, to happen and I could feel the tears prickling in an attempt to keep my eyes moisturized. All it did was make me blink rapidly to remove them.

I didn’t notice the sunrise spilling in through the blinds of the window and much less did I notice that there was something not-quite-right about the way the light entered my room. I looked at the white clock standing on my white bedside table next to my white bed on my white floor and saw that it read 6:22.
Before I knew it, I was yawning to the sound of Haneul’s emotionless voice.
Good morning, Mr. Byun. Are you ready for your test today?” I obviously wasn’t as my eyelids threatened to fall and not open for the next hours, but the stubbornness in me refused to allow me my well-needed sleep as I nodded in reply. I felt dizzy as I stood up from my bed to walk to the drawer of day clothes embroidered with the numbers that weren’t given out based on my spot in arrival. I used the white wall as support when the room started spinning before my eyes. Despite the steadiness of the wall I could feel myself falling. The fall appeared as if I was experiencing it in slow-motion and I saw black spots on my vision. My head hit the floor with a muffled thud and the last thing I saw before completely passing out was the white shoed feet of my security guard approaching me.