day five

Subjects 3XO

Byun Baekhyun, day five 7:21

I woke up earlier than usual, or the-past-four-days usual. It was weird. The room was in complete darkness which was strange. I was now used to falling asleep and waking up in a lit up room. The room seemed different when it wasn't completely lit up. It sent shivers throughout my body just being in it in that state. As soon as I sat up the lights came on. My eyes hurt from the sudden light reflection caused by the completely white interior.
"Good morning, Mr. Byun. You are awake earlier than expected." The metallic voice said. I had decided to call it Haneul.
"Yes, that happens sometimes." After you give the voice a name, talking back to it doesn't seem as weird.
"Are you ready for your test?" Haneul asked. Of course I wasn't ready for the test, how could you be ready for a test that didn't make any sense?
"No but I guess I'm gonna have to take it anyways, right?" As I got up, the drawer that kept my day clothes opened up. I quickly grabbed them and made my way to the small bathroom facility.
"Until you manage to turn on the lamp, you will continue to take the test, Mr. Byun." 
"And when do you suppose that might happen, Haneul?" I asked, looking up at the ceiling as I walked to the door and waited for it to open. When it did, I was met with the familiar white of the guard who had been walking me to and from the testing room for the past few days.

As I entered the familiar room I was shocked to see someone already sitting in my chair.
"Who are you?" I asked rather loudly. The person turned to face me.  His face was marked with signs of old age. He had many wrinkles and thick, gray eyebrows that sat above his small eyes. Despite his clothing fitting the rest of the building, white suit with a silk tie, he had gold rimmed glasses. My personal guide bowed deeply at the sight of the man, I wasn't sure if I should do the same so I didn't.
"Ah, Mr. Byun, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He said, his hand raised to shake mine. I took it hesitantly and received a smile that I think was meant to be kind but looked rather unsettling. There was something about his eyes. "You asked who I was, you can call me Master Kim."
"Are you going to help me with the test?" I asked warily. Master Kim let out a chuckle.
"Yes, I suppose you're right. I've heard of your... troubles, with our test."
"No offense, Master Kim, but how are you going to help me with it?" Before answering, Master Kim gestured to a chair opposite of his own that I hadn't noticed before. I took a seat and he was soon to follow.
"You're very special, Mr. Byun."
"So I've heard." I muttered under my breath. Master Kim examined my face for a good few seconds.
"Tell me," he started, "do you know just how special you are?"
"No."
"You were brought here because you have... talents, talents we'd like to learn more about."
"And how would you go about learning more about those 'talents'?" I asked, skeptisism laced in my words.
"Well, for starters, by seeing how long it will take you to turn on this lamp." Master Kim answered, his hand gesturing to the mangled lamp.
"I've said it a million times," my voice had become angry as I spoke through gritted teeth, "It's. Not. Possible."
"Anything is possible if you really want to do it, Mr. Byun."
"So if I really wanted to leave this place, I could?" I asked cautiously. There was no telling whether he would start shouting or send me back to the confinement of my room. What he did surprised me as he started laughing.
"I'm sure you could if you wanted it badly enough. Although, I doubt you'd succeed." Master Kim looked solemnly into my eyes. There was something in his look, something that reminded me of a dare. It was as if he was telling me to try. I took caution with my next words, I wasn't sure why but something about that man made me afraid.
"Noted. You said you were here to help me, right?" The old man nodded. "Alright, then tell me; how do I turn on this lamp." A hint of a smile appeared on his aged face and a low chuckle came from his throat.
"It's simple," he said, leaning in over the table that separated us and continuing in a whisper, "you have to want it." I stared at the man dumbfounded, it felt like he was making a joke. A joke at the expense of my sanity. He leaned back in his chair, a smug grin plastered on his face.
"That's your big secret? 'You have to want it'? You've already said that!" I could feel the anger rising as I struggled to stay seated.

"Is that really how we speak to our elders in today's society?" Master Kim asked, the anger that he himself hid could be heard at the edge of every syllable he uttered. I admit, I was terrified of him. Though he was old, there was a certain... energy, about him that gave reason for fear. I swallowed what little saliva was left in my dry mouth.
"I apologize, Master Kim." I said, my head lowered in a small bow due to the fact that bowing while sitting down would cause me to hit my head on the white table. When I looked back up, Master Kim was nodding in content.
"That's better, Mr. Byun." He simply said and prepared to leave. "Oh, and I recommend taking my advice," he added as he stood up, "a concentrated mind can accomplish great things." I watched as the old man left the room. He walked in long strides, his back as straight as his aged spine would let it. If I was being completely honest, I had expected him to walk slowly with small steps. This place seemed to be full of surprises.
"Are you ready to start the test, Mr. Byun?" Haneul asked. I contemplated Master Kim's words, staring into the emptiness of the white walls as I did. I made up my mind and decided to try following his advice. After all, They say the elderly contain wisdom that the young can only learn with age. I glared at the lamp, willing it to turn on but to no awail.
"As ready as I'll ever be, Haneul."