day twelve

Subjects 3XO

Byun Baekhyun, day twelve 13:29

As per usual at this time of day, I had already finished eating lunch. I hadn't seen Minseok there and even though I'd only met the guy with cat-like eyes once, I missed him. I missed the sense of having someone, someone who was going through the same things as I was.
I knew he was still here since every time I went to eat lunch his tray was missing. Number 99. I had also become convinced that numbers weren't given out based on arrival since a new tray had been added. Number 10. It's between numbers 7 and 12 which tells me that, at least for now, the numbers were random. If finding out that there must've been people up to the number 99 here made me happy then finding out that more people were arriving made me ecstatic. I felt kinda bad for that as well. It meant more people were meeting the same fates as Minseok and I; losing memories of home and happiness and replacing them with tests and... white.
Although I had only seen two places outside of my bedroom, not counting the halls, I felt fairly confident in my navigational abilities. Just as long as the route was from my room to the testing facility; from the testing facility to the cafeteria; from the cafeteria back to my room.
"Are you ready to resume your test, Mr. Byun?" Haneul asked. I nodded in reply. I had recently found out that I didn't need to answer its questions verbally, there were cameras watching my every move.
As soon as my head stopped bobbing, the doors opened. I walked out, not stopping to greet my guard as I let him half-lead, half-follow me to the testing facility. The way was as winding as ever and just like every time before, the constant turns made me dizzy. I knew when I had to turn but that didn’t make it any easier. There was a muffled noise that I hadn’t heard before. It was as if the soundwaves were being carried by the walls. As we arrived at the hallway which held the door leading to the all too familiar lamp I suddenly heard a scream.
"No! Please don't-" A male voice shouted, it sounded as if he was about to break down in tears. I tried to figure out the source but my guard grabbed hold of my left arm. I struggled to break free, something in my instincts told me that I needed to help him.
"What are you doing?" I shouted at the stoic guard who was trying to drag me into the testing room. "We need to help him! Can't you hear him?" The guard said nothing, his face was as blank as always, not even a hint of emotion could be seen on his face. He managed to drag me in front of the door and had to stop as he waited for the door to open. I tried to use the chance to struggle free from his grip but it only ended up making it worse. The grip tightened and I could still hear the screams. He pushed me into the room harshly, making me lose my balance. As I regained it, the door closed and with it the screams drowned out. I could feel my heart racing in my chest, beating against my rib cage as if by escaping it could rescue whoever was screaming. My fists were banging on the door to no avail. I screamed at the guard to let me out. I screamed at Haneul to help him. No one heard me. For the first time since I woke up on my first day, I felt alone, I felt helpless. A lump was forming in my throat. What if that was Minseok? I couldn't allow myself to fall into the pit my mind was trying to bury me in. Just that small thought felt like enough to make me break down then and there. I had once been called overly-emotional -I can’t remember who said it but I remember someone did- and that seemed to be proven correct when I felt tears burning in my eyes. As my energy slowly left my body, leaving me tired and breathless, I let myself turn around and slide down the smooth material of the door. The lump was burning in my throat as the realization that no matter how much I wanted to help, I was just as helpless as whoever's voice ringing in my head.
I didn't know how long I was there. Sitting on the cold floor, tears threatening to streak my face all the while I could still hear that voice pulsing along with my headache. It was tearing at my brain. My hands shot up to grab my hair, hoping the pain would distract me from the throbbing inside my head.
The tears finally fell, they were hot and angry as they stung my skin. I tried pressing my eyes shut to keep them in but it only seemed to make things worse.
It suddenly became dark in the room. I looked up as I choked down a sob to find myself enveloped in complete darkness. I was okay with it for a while, until it became suffocating. I suddenly found myself wishing that I could turn on that stupid lamp. The helplessness that had a tight grip on my chest got worse. I wanted to throw up whatever it was that I had eaten at lunch. The lunch I had without Minseok. Is he okay?
I was still terrified of the possibility that he was the one screaming. If it was him, would he ever forgive me for not being able to help him? Whoever it was, could I ever forgive myself for not being able to help him?
At the peak of my inability came that God damned lamp. Why did they want me to turn on that ing lamp anyways? It was stupid. This whole thing was stupid. The fact that I was crying on the floor like a five year old who got his toys taken away for bad behavior made me feel utterly useless. In my frustrated state I could only see one way to get out of this cursed room. I have to turn on that lamp, as soon as the thought formed I could see a tiny bit of light forming from the corner of my eye. I looked to the right and suddenly I was surrounded by little floating fractions of light. I was astonished and confused. The lights created a soft illumination throughout the room. It was comforting, more so than Minseok's presence at the cafeteria a day ago. I reached out to touch one of them and the room was plunged into darkness once more. Only two seconds passed before the lights came back on. I stood up quickly and looked around the room. I wiped the tears that had escaped from my face as Haneul's voice came in through the room's speakers before the doors opened.
"Well done, Mr. Byun."