An Unexpected Turn of Events

My Favorite Wife (a SuJu retelling)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Leeteuk's eyes zeroed in on Eunmi as he walked toward her. His hands felt clammy and beads of sweat lined the tip of his hairline. He took in a deep breath as he neared her. "Eunmi," he said, keeping his voice even as he stared down at her.

Eunmi lay on a chaise lounge. She was dressed in a bikini that highlighted the curves and assets of her body, leaving little to the imagination. Sunglasses hung over her eyes.

Leeteuk tried to look at her eyes, but could only see his reflection in the lenses of her glasses. When she failed to acknowledge his presence, he cleared his throat. "Eunmi?"

The woman stirred slightly. "Hmm?" she began with a yawn, evidently waking from a nap. "What is it Ju--" She started to sit up and then froze when she saw Leeteuk standing there. "Oh! Leeteuk! There you are!" She flashed him a smile. "What are you doing here?"

Leeteuk raised an eyebrow. "Did you get my texts or calls earlier?" he asked, keeping his jaw firm.

Eunmi tilted her head. "What texts?"

Leeteuk closed his eyes, taking a slow, deep breath. “The ones I sent you this morning.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize you tried to contact me this morning,” she replied innocently. “I guess my phone was off. And I was too busy to look at it.”

“Busy with some CEO playboy, you mean? You have no pride in yourself,” he spat, the words falling out of his mouth before he could think better of it.

gaped slightly as if thrown off by his harsh remark.

He sighed. “I’m sorry," he said sincerely. "I shouldn't have said that. It’s your life. You do what you want.” He shook his head, turning to look away from her. “I don’t even know why you married me,” he muttered. He looked back at her. “We’re getting an annulment. And not just because you and I aren’t meant to be.” He shifted his head toward the table that Jaeeun, Siwon, and Heechul occupied. “I wasn’t lying to you yesterday when I spoke of my wife. She’s alive. Came back yesterday.” He nodded his head in Jaeeun’s direction. “I want an annulment so that I can be with her.” A smile crept onto his face. “I love her.” He turned to look back at Eunmi. “I’m sorry, but I she’s the only one for me.”

Eunmi stared at him and he sensed a dark aura about her. She slowly removed her sunglasses from her face, her cold, hardened eyes meeting his. “Are you really that naïve?” she said with scoff. “Love? The only one?” She scoffed again. “I was right. You are a fool.” She shook her head. “I knew you were a fool the moment I saw you in the elevator.” She chuckled, still shaking her head. “You’re like a child, Leeteuk. Do you really believe in love?”

Leeteuk’s eyes widened at her words. “And you don’t?” It seemed almost surreal that such a woman who ran around making love with whomever she wanted, did not believe in love.

She shook her head. “Not anymore. I did. Once. Seven years ago.”

“What happened?” he asked.

“He died,” she replied with a shrug.

Leeteuk stared at her, wondering if maybe that loss of love caused her to become the woman she was now. Was she always the carefree socialite? The y hedonist? Was she different before her loved one passed? “Don’t you want another chance at finding someone you love?” he asked quietly.

She shook her head. “No. What’s the point? No one could ever replace him.” She scoffed. “Reality is disappointing, Leeteuk. People die. People leave you.” She sighed. That’s why it’s better to live in a fantasy. That's what I'm doing.”

“Why did you marry me then?” he asked. “You weren’t going to be faithful anyway.”

“My father threatened to cut me off from my inheritance,” she replied with a shrug. “I needed to settle down to keep it.”

“But why me?” Leeteuk asked, holding a steady gaze.

She sighed, knowing that he would see through any lie she conjured up. “You’re simple,” she replied honestly. “I figured you’d fall for me like that—” She snapped her fingers. “—and you would never suspect a thing if I continued on with my lifestyle— my fantasy.”

Leeteuk felt both irritation and pity toward the woman in front of him.

She looked up at him, her eyes suddenly becoming soft. “I’m sorry. But please—” she began, her voice low and slightly seductive. “—don’t leave me.” She stood up, slowly.

Leeteuk looked away, knowing that she was trying to show off her body to him in an attempt to entice him to stay with her.

“I can’t give up my life,” she said quietly, drawing closer to him. “Surely you see that.”

Leeteuk backed up a step, but she drew closer still. If he backed up further, he would fall into the pool.

She gazed at him seductively. “I like living in a fantasy. Maybe we could live a few of your fantasies.” She winked.

“No,” he said, crossing his arms in front of himself. “You have to face reality, Eunmi. We’re getting an annulment.”

“But—”

“Excuse me,” a voice said, interrupting them.

Leeteuk turned to see Jaeeun standing there. He felt both relieved and nervous that she was there.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” Jaeeun said, sending Eunmi an apologetic smile. “You must be Eunmi.” She bowed to Eunmi. “I’m Jaeeun.” She straightened up, sending Eunmi a smile. “I’m sorry. This whole thing must have come as a shock to you.” She kept her countenance positive, though her heart hammered in her chest seeing the close proximity between Leeteuk and Eunmi.

Eunmi’s eyebrows furrowed and she eyed Jaeeun up and down, scrutinizing the newcomer’s appearance. “You’re Jaeeun?” she asked, failing to hide the scorn in her voice.

“Yes, I am,” Jaeeun replied cheerily, hearing Eunmi’s tone of voice, but refusing to let it get to her. “I know that things have been—crazy. But—”

Eunmi held up a hand, stopping Jaeeun from saying another word. “There won’t be an annulment,” she said, meeting Jaeeun’s gaze directly. “The court pronounced you dead yesterday. As far as I’m concerned, that’s what you are. If you want to still see Leeteuk and be his little play thing then be my guest, but I’m not ending the marriage.”

Leeteuk’s mouth gaped in surprise.

Jaeeun’s lips tightened, her eyes narrowing at Eunmi. She clicked her tongue. “No,” she said, taking a breath. “Leeteuk is my husband. There will be annulment between you and him. That’s final.”

Eunmi’s countenance shifted, her eyes gleaming angrily at Jaeeun. She could not—would not—let this—this woman ruin her plans. She could not ruin the only thing she had left in her life. If her

Please log in to read the full chapter