One Man, Two Wives

My Favorite Wife (a SuJu retelling)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jaeeun entered through the hotel doors, her heart racing as she stepped into the lobby. It had been years since she had been in the hotel and she noticed that it had been redecorated. Modern sofas that were a warm grey color and shaped in half circles lined the far edge of the wall across from the reception desk. In the middle of the lobby, were several smaller sofas of the same grey color where several travelers were seated upon with their luggage on the floor next to their feet. 

Jaeeun approached the reception desk, her heart racing as stepped up to it. "Excuse me," she said to the receptionist. "Is Park Leeteuk in yet?"

"No," the receptionist replied. "We're expecting him though." He smiled gently. "Are you perhaps the bride?"

Jaeeun tiltled her head to the side. "Well, no, not really." She chuckled. "Not exactly."

The receptionist's eyes widened and his head jerked back slightly in surprise. "Uh--"

Jaeeun chuckled quietly. "Don't worry. I'm going to just take a seat and wait for him. Thank you--" She glanced at his name tag, realizing that he was the hotel manager. "--Sungmin for your time." With a nod of her head, she left the reception desk and made her way toward one of the half-circle shaped sofas in back. 

Sungmin shook his head gently and continued with his task.

As the minutes passed, Jaeeun tapped her fingers against her thigh in both nervousness and excitement. She wanted to see her husband, but she was almost dreading his reaction. She glanced at the clock on the wall, wondering what time he would arrive. She turned her gaze to the doors and bit on her lower lip, wishing that the dreaded moment would just hurry and end soon.

At that moment, a couple entered the hotel and Jaeeun's eyes widened and her heart began pounding in her ears. She felt her stomach churn and her heart flutter at the same time. Leeteuk had arrived with his new bride. 

Leeteuk approached the reception desk with his arm entwined with Eunmi's. "Hello," he said to the hotel manager, Sungmin. "I'm checking in. Park Leeteuk and Park Eunmi." 

"Ah, Mr. Park you--" Sungmin halted in his speech.

"Hmm?" Leeteuk asked, tilting his head.

Sungmin stared in Jaeeun's direction as she shook her arms and head, gesturing for him not to mention that she was there. 

"Oh, nothing," Sungmin replied, shaking his head slightly. He turned to his computer. "So, Mr. Park. We have the honeymoon suite ready for you. Suite A."

Leeteuk's eyes widened slightly and he shifted uncomfortably. "Uh, I'd rather not have that one. Is there another room available?" he said in a hushed voice as he recalled the time he and his deceased wife had spent in there.

Eunmi unhooked her arm from his and began to wander toward the elevator, pulling out her makeup bag from her purse.

"Of course," Sungmin replied. "Suite C is available."

Leeteuk let out a small breath of relief. "Thank you."

Sungmin held out an electronic tablet. "I just need you to sign this."

Leeteuk took the stylus pen and scribbled his name on the space provided on the screen. "Thank you again," he said quietly, handing back the tablet. "It's just, uh--I've been here before." 

Sungmin raised an eyebrow, but did not say a word. His eyes darted briefly in Jaeeun's direction, sensing some sort of connection. "Here's your card keys," he said, holding out the keys to Leeteuk.

"Thanks," replied Leeteuk, taking the keys. He felt a slight lump in his throat. It felt wrong; him being here without her. She was dead though, had been for seven years now. He needed to move on. He glanced at Eunmi, his eyes glistening with joy. Perhaps after tonight the hole in his heart would not feel empty any more. He stepped over to the elevator as the doors opened. As they stepped into the elevator, Leeteuk pulled Eunmi closer to him, wrapping his arms around her. He was so excited that--

Suddenly, his gaze fell on someone outside of the elevator. His eyes widened and his mouth gaped.

No. 

It couldn't be--!

Standing in the lobby, staring at him, was the woman he never thought he would see again; Jaeeun.

As the elevator doors started to close, he released his hold on Eunmi and tried to crane his neck to catch a glimpse of the woman. The doors shut and began to ascend.

"What's wrong?" asked Eunmi, raising her eyebrows.

Leeteuk stared at the closed doors. "Nothin'." He shook his head gently, figuring that he must have imagined it. There was no way that that woman was his wife. Jaeeun was dead. 

Maybe the woman just looked like Jaeeun. 

Yeah. That was it!

The woman just looked similar.

Besides, that woman had a different body type than Jaeeun. He would know. That woman was just too thin. Her clothes even hung about her like a tent. 

His eyes widened. Those clothes... They were similar to Jaeeun's old clothes, weren't they?

He shook his head gently. 

No. It could not be.

His wife would never have allowed her hair to get that long. That woman's hair was woven into a side braid that reached the top of her hips. If her hair was that long braided, then that would mean her hair was even longer than that. Jaeeun would never allow her hair to grow that far down. She hated it when her hair went past her s, so there was no possible way that that woman was Jaeeun.

"Exciting, isn't it?" he heard Eunmi say in a low voice. He felt her hand trail across his chest. 

"Yeah," he muttered as the elevator doors slid open. He exited the elevator with Eunmi by his side as they made their way down the hall toward Suite C. As they passed Suite A, Leeteuk's thoughts immediately ran to the woman in the lobby. She looked so much like--

They stopped in front of Suite C. As Leeteuk took out the card key from his pocket, he shook his head gently. He just could not seem to get that woman in the lobby out of his head. He opened the door for Eunmi as she entered, swaying her hips slightly.

Leeteuk closed the door behind him. He was probably just nervous, he figured. It had been a long time since--

He glanced about the room, noting that their luggage had already been brought up by the bellboy. 

"Oh, Leeteuk," Eunmi said, dropping her voice to a low, seductive tone as she walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Her voice brought a grin to his face and he slipped his arms around her. As he lowered his head to kiss her, there was a knock on the door. Leeteuk pulled away quickly. "Yes?"

"Waiter, sir," a voice said from the other side of the door.

"Come in," Leeteuk said, taking a step away from Eunmi.

The door opened and the waiter entered, pulling in a cart with wine and several glasses. 

"How thoughtful of you, Teukie," Eunmi said, walking over to the cart. 

Leeteuk turned to the waiter with his eyebrows furrowed questioningly. "I didn't order this," he said in a hushed voice. "I think there was a mistake." 

"No mistake, sir," the waiter replied. "This was sent up as the compliments of an old friend." He took out a note from his pocket. "And I was instructed to give this to you." 

"Thank you," Leeteuk said, taking the note and then handing the waiter a tip. As the waiter left, Leeteuk hastily opened the note. As his eyes fell upon the handwriting, he felt his heart stop. He instantly recognized the familiar, neat and somewhat bubbly scrawl of the writer. He read the note once, twice, three times. He could not believe his eyes. His wife was alive! His Jaeeun was still alive! If he wanted to see her, she would be waiting down at the bar. If he did not show up within thirty minutes, she would leave and get in contact with him later to settle things.

Leeteuk felt his heart pounding with excitement. He had to go down there right now!

Suddenly two arms wrapped around him from the back, startling him. 

"You seem a little tense," Eunmi said with a chuckle. 

Leeteuk whirled around, his eyes widening as he stared down at Eunmi. 

In that moment he knew he had made a big mistake. 

Her eyes lowered seductively as she reached for his tie. "Here, let me get that for you."

Gulping hard, Leeteuk stumbled back, trying to get out of her reach. "W-wait a sec!" 

What was he to do?!

"I, uh--" He withdrew as kept walking backwards to the door, Eunmi advancing on him all the way. "I gotta go shave!" he said suddenly. "I uh, just remembered that I have to shave. I think I saw a barber shop just a couple blocks away. I'm gonna just run down and get a quick shave. I'll be right back up." His back hit the door.

Eunmi chuckled. "Oh, you don't need to shave." She placed her hand on his cheek. "Your skin is as smooth as a baby." Her hand drifted to his neck tie. 

Leeteuk's hand fumbled around, trying to find the door knob. "I-I feel like a hairy monkey!" he said hasily, his hand finally falling upon the door knob.

"Then let me shave you," Eunmi replied with a mischievous smile. 

"Uh, no! No!" Leeteuk stammered, shaking his head. "I'll uh, be right back." He started to open the door.

"Fine," Eunmi said, tossing her hair back. "I'll be waiting." She sent him a wink.

Leeteuk scrambled out of the room and into the hall, his heart pounding in his chest.

That was close!

He heaved a sigh of relief and hurried down toward the elevator. He clicked on the elevator door impatiently, wishing the confounded thing would hurry. 

As the elevator arrived and the doors slid open, Leeteuk bolted in and quickly pressed the button for the ground floor. He

Please log in to read the full chapter