Ice Cream + Past Memories

Summer Job

“Mi Eun-shii? What are you doing here? Are you okay?” DooJoon asked in an attentive voice.

 

When Mi Eun turned around DooJoon’s eyes widened as he saw the unmistakable threads of tears that was falling off her face. He was afraid of two things in this world. First is a world with no meat and second is when a girl cries. He really has no idea what to do with her or how to make her feel better. He was afraid to say anything. As if his words will start to shatter her and make things worse. He wants to be there for her but he doesn’t know how. The feeling of helplessness was driving him crazy.

 

“Mi-Eun-shii. Are you…… okay?” DooJoon finally said and scratching his head at the same time.

 

“Ne…..” was her shaky reply, “sometimes it’s just too overwhelming and……” then she was taken over by her tears again.

 

“Aigoo. Tell oppa who did this to you. I’ll make him pay. Maybe by cheque? But cash is faster right?” DooJoon joked, trying to change the cold atmosphere.

 

Mi Eun gave a small smile but the smile didn’t reach her eyes as it used to. “It’s alright DooJoon-shii. I guess I’ll be going now. Thanks.”.

 

Mi Eun turned to leave for the bus stop but DooJoon suddenly called out to her.

 

“Mi Eun-shii! Let’s go have ice cream!” DooJoon shouted to her with his goofy grin, and despite her protests he dragged/pulled/carried her to the ice cream parlor.

 

 

---

 

“Is it nice? Let’s order a few more to share eh?” DooJoon said.

 

“Mwo? There’s already a lot! You’ve almost bought all the flavors the shop has. Don’t buy anymore DooJoon-shii!”

 

“Wae? Afraid that I can’t afford it? You don’t have to save for my pocket. Just burn a hole in it tonight. I don’t mind.” DooJoon said as he placed another tray of ice cream onto the table.

 

Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate, Mint, Yam, Strawberry Ripple, Cookies and Cream, Coffee, Blueberry……

 

“Ehmm… Aren’t you afraid to be gaining weight? I mean. You’re still an idol right? And won’t you get into trouble with your President?” Mi Eun said.

 

“Ani. Don’t worry. Just eat all your troubles away tonight. I’m paying! Hurry Eat before it melts!” DooJoon replied with a smile on his face.

 

DooJoon was praying so hard that she was feeling better. When he saw her at the bus stop, struggling for control, he was so afraid. He yearned to hold her in his arms and calm her down. His heart felt as if it dropped to the centre off the Earth when he saw her tears. He wasn’t like this before and he has never once felt anything like this – an attraction so strong. But yet, he just met her today. How can this be?

 

“DooJoon-shii. Thanks for tonight. Really. “Mi Eun said to him.

 

“Sure. Anytime. Ohh. Don’t forget to ice your eyes tonight or they’ll swell tomorrow. I don’t want to be working with a goldfish tomorrow. You’ll scare away the customer.” DooJoon said as he mentally kicked himself. *OMG what am I saying.*

 

“Yeah ok. And….. can I call you oppa? Since… well…… you’re older and…..”

 

“Of course. Then I’ll call you Mi Eun since…. You’re younger than me.” DooJoon replied shyly.

 

“Ne. I guess I’ll go home now. Bye.”

 

“So early? Do you want me to send you home? It’s pretty late already.” DooJoon said. *Okay. Contradicting. I need to dig a hole to hide myself. FAST.*

 

“Uhh… no it’s okay.” Mi Eun replied awkwardly.

 

---

 

-Mi Eun’s POV-

 

He’s the first guy to be so nice to me ever since…….

No. I can’t say his name or I’ll lose it. Did anyone died from a broken heart before? Maybe I’ll be the first. No. My heart’s not broken. I can’t even find it anymore. Is it even beating? I still remember last summer…..

 

~Flashback~

 

“Yah! PARK MI EUN! We’re over. Which part of that do you not UNDERSTAND?! Do you need me to spell it out for you? Stop being a and let go already!”

 

“Oppa! Please don’t leave me. I promise you. I’ll give you everything you want. Don’t leave me like this. I’ll die without you. Please!” I said as I clutched at his ankle before he could walk away.

 

“You just don’t understand do you?” He grabbed me to my feet and gave me a tight slap over my cheek. Smirking to himself he repeated. “We’re over. You hold no more interest for me. Oh. And next time, if you see me on the streets please pretend that you don’t know me. I don’t need a girl like you to ruin my reputation.”

 

Then, he just turned and walked away, dumping me, my heart and my feelings.

 

For weeks or months – I couldn’t tell – I tried many methods of killing myself. I couldn’t do anything. I was like a living zombie. Looking but not seeing, touching but not feeling, hearing but not listening. I sat at home daily, staring onto space. I became thinner as the days past, falling sick easily.

 

Then one day, I found myself awake in a hospital, on a drip. My best friend was crying over the telephone with I don’t know who, but all I heard from the conversation was,” I’m so worried about her. She wouldn’t talk and she wouldn’t eat. She just sat there and stared into space. Oh My Gosh. Tell me what I should do. I’m really afraid I’ll lose her as a friend…” as she sobbed into the phone.

 

That’s when I realize. The world does not stop rotting when your heart is broken. No matter how hard it is, you have to move on with your life or you’ll hurt those around you that you love. It’s okay if my parents abandon me when I was young. It’s okay of that jerk dumped me. It doesn’t matter if I’m lonely or if I’ve been living by myself since I was 15. I need to protect those that I love and cherished. And I will do whatever it takes to keep them safe.

 

So, when I was discharged from the hospital, I made a silent prayer to god, that I can erase whatever memories I have with that jerk. Forget everything that he said. Throw away his smell, his touch, his voice like the way he threw me away. I will never let a guy hurt me anymore.

~End of Flashback~

 

“Yah. Park Mi Eun. You’re really stupid.” I muttered to myself. Why are you still tearing up when you think about your past? You’re such a failure.

 

Not every guy is as nice as DooJoonie. HMMM?! Did I just call him DooJoonie? Oh My… No. Not every guy is as nice and sweet as DooJoon-shii. Speaking about DooJoon… The way his eyes light up when he speaks or even when he smile is spectacular. Does he have super powers or something? How does his smile make me feel warm and tingle all over? And that weird erratic beating of my heart whenever he’s near… Is that even possible? Is it possible that I can fall in love again? I don’t even know if I have a heart. Will I be the one hurting him? Will I see him tomorrow? I don’t know……

 

-End of Mi Eun’s POV-

The questions circled in Mi Eun’s head as she made her way home.

 

 

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok… That’s it. Chapter 3(: so how’s it? Thank you for the comments I really appreciate it. I guess inspiration only comes at night eh? Haha! Stay tuned for the next chapter. There’ll be some interaction, perspiration and sparks! WHOOPEEE!