Chapter 5

The Faith of the Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today had been a good day. The market lady gave him extra shrimps and there was a sale on vegetables. Siwon stuffed his fridge with fresh ingredients, whistling a happy tune of a well spend day.  The echoes of traffic echoed through his modest apartment. His salary had been significantly improved now that he was settled as a physician. It had been a few months ago, he could even spare some money for a rainy day. The media hadn’t lied when they claimed that doctors were the new royalty. Siwon opened a can of beer, leaned against his fridge and looked into the living room. He saw his bed, closet, and desk, but he imagined a real house. A fully decorated family home, one big enough for his sister and him. He would project their parent’s pictures on the wall, an old-fashioned wooden table to sit and eat dinner. If fate was with him, Siwon would even include his aunt into the plans. It would be unfair to her, after all, those years of selfless care, to dismiss her the moment his sister was ready to move in his house. 

The trash was thrown out, his apartment aired, the dishes back into their cupboard and the laundry hung out. A Million Roses hummed under his breath. It reminded him of Kyuhyun, the harmonica sound would pop ever so often in his thoughts. He hadn’t seen the peculiar man in months. Siwon scratched his head and refreshed his bedsheets. What would Kyuhyun be doing at this time of the day, he wondered. Siwon knew so little of the man, it didn’t matter when he saw the beautiful man but once Kyuhyun was out of sight it would dawn on him how little information their conversations held. There seemed to be a few specific moments where Kyuhyun chose to react with brutal honesty. Other times, Siwon felt mocked or dealt with a light silence. 

Siwon hummed along a melody played outside his window. He froze. Kyuhyun. Where did it come from?  Siwon opened the curtains, staring into the dark night. The streets were almost empty, a few windows on the opposite side of the street were lit. Siwon let his forehead rest against the window in a sigh, of course, Kyuhyun sat on the opposite building playing his harmonica. Speaking of the devil. 

Why was that madman on a rooftop, again? Should he even start to wonder the why’s and how’s? Siwon shook his head, he clicked the window open and shoved it to the left. The cold air blew into his face. The silver glint of the harmonica shone in the dark, like a beacon telling the whereabouts of his crazy friend. Kyuhyun stood up, the harmonica was gone. Siwon waved with his hands but Kyuhyun’s head snapped to the right, took three strides and jumped. 

“Holy Christ!” Siwon leaned over his open window, he tried to see but the building obstructed his sight. ‘’For ’s sake, not again!’’ Siwon ran out the door. The stones under his feet were cold and harsh, but the blood in his veins burned as adrenaline pumped through his system. The cold wind didn’t bother him. Kyuhyun would be smashed against the street stones. A shattered skull, broken bones in weird angles. Dead eyes gazing up at the sky. , they could prolong life but they couldn’t piece a human body back like a jigsaw puzzle! He ran into the narrow alley.

“What the , Kyuhyun are you okay?!” The man was bowing over a figure. No broken bones, no blood, no sign of a fragmented skull. Siwon gritted his teeth, he walked over and roughly grabbed Kyuhyun’s shoulder. ‘’Do you ever think you might die from your stupid stunt?!’’ This unbelievable man, Siwon couldn’t grasp it. He couldn’t understand how someone could be so careless. He could have died, he could have broken something important, unfixable. He pushed Kyuhyun’s shoulder back so he could look the man in his face. Siwon shuddered and let go of the man. He took a step back.
‘’Good Lord. Yo-your eyes!” Siwon stammered. The hairs on his neck rose as he felt the adrenaline freeze. The winter cold bit in his toes and his face. Every muscle tensed as Siwon tried to look away. He could see his own horrified expression, his own wide open eyes and the stiffness in his shoulders. It was all reflected by Kyuhyun’s eyes. Full black eyes, no white to be found. A silver wash reflected in the mirror eyes, like a cat that looked into the light. Siwon stared at the eyes. They were not human. 

Kyuhyun looked at the dog by his feet. His head tilted slowly, Siwon felt nailed to the ground. He should run. His instincts told him to run for it. Something had been very wrong. He saw it. ‘’Hello, Siwon. It has been a while.’’ Kyuhyun looked at Siwon, his eyes were back to normal dark brown. The man brushed the wavy fringe out of his face, in such a human way. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter