Chapter 3

The Faith of the Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘’Don’t worry, Miss Park, your mother will be out of the hospital within a week. There was a minor issue with the heart, she got a regular Rerio treatment and we would advise her to rest at home, avoiding physical strain, for the coming month.’’ Siwon looked up from his white tablet, the blank face of the middle-aged woman told him everything he needed. ‘’The Rerio treatment is a procedure where we cut the dysfunctional part off the heart, in order to let it regenerate through fibrin clot and cell division. In other words, her heart is being regenerated as we speak. The rest is needed because her cells will need to form new blood vessels and muscle tissue, to regain the heart’s original shape. I’m sure I can entrust you with her safety.’’ He gave a bright smile and gently guided the woman out of the door with his hand on her shoulder. ‘’Please, have a safe trip home. We will contact you once your mother is ready to be picked up.’’

The woman bowed and said her greetings. The moment the door of his shared office closed, Siwon rubbed his face. The day had been horribly unforgiving. No, it wasn't just the day. Ever since Kyuhyun left him at the noodle bar, every day had been one thing after another. The hospital had been busier now that the temperature was dropping, winter was coming and children and elderly streamed in quicker than they could diagnose. His current internship was reaching its end. His aunt asked if he could send more money for support. He had to decide this week if he wanted to be employed as a physician or a medical lab researcher. Siwon leaned back into his seat and looked at the profile displayed on his tablet. Misses Park, 150 years old, regular hospital check-ups every two weeks and a major regeneration treatment every half year.

‘’Too afraid to die, huh.’’ Siwon hummed as stared at the over lit picture of the ancient woman. He mindlessly tapped the picture away, scrolling through the immense database of pictures from the patients. Siwon stared at the cold black liquid in his cup, not even his coffee could beat the growing tiredness from his mind.

 

Byul Hyejin, 202. Siwon’s footsteps echoed through the white hallway.

Kim Munhee, 145.

Kwok Jongsoo, 230.

Siwon exhaled slowly, closed the tablet and stared mindlessly at the city night lights. Red and yellow illumined on the white hospital walls. Chang Yeongso, a patient who had tried to commit suicide by burning himself to death, 290 years old, one of the oldest cases they’ve had in the database. His wife, Chang Minah, 200, had prevented her husband’s suicide cases until the fire happened. He saw it now. The pattern Kyuhyun had so fiercely pointed out. Every patient he attended, Siwon could hear the odd man whispered in his head. Unnatural. Repetitive treatments. Upgraded health care. Lowest birth rate since decades. The pounding in his head reappeared. This was truly tiring him out.

A melody filled the hallway. It was soft, sad, a ballad. The airy tones filled the usually quiet west wing in its simplicity. Probably a new patient, those who couldn’t find comfort in the unfamiliar beds to sleep away the pain. Siwon walked to the room and read the information on his tablet. Shin Haneul, a teenager, a rare case found collapsed on the street today. Time of death, 23:30, five minutes ago. Siwon peeked into the music-filled room. A straight back was turned to him, sitting at the bedside, near the window.

‘’Excuse me, but the visiting hours ended a few hours ago.’’ Siwon strode into the room. It was always difficult to ask family members to leave their loved once behind, especially when it was a mere child. Death cases of teenagers, actually everyone below 80, had become extremely rare. The man didn’t move, except for the arms that played the unfamiliar instrument. He saw the pale, stiff face of the girl that laid in the bed. His heart dropped in his shoes. This was why he had to be a doctor. To prevent this from happening.

‘’I’m sorry, Sir- ‘’ Siwon started again, but he felt his throat squeezed as he saw the familiar mop of brown hair. Kyuhyun. His eyes were half closed, a silver instrumental piece shined in Kyuhyun’s palm. Siwon blinked and looked away. He hadn’t prepared for this. Siwon tightly gripped his tablet, the conversation of their last meeting rewinding in a loop in his head. Usually, he wouldn’t have lost control in a discussion. There were enough people rebelling about the extended life span that science gave them. It hadn’t been the first time. He should apologize, Siwon thought as he willed himself to stop tensing up. Even if Kyuhyun’s opinion had been tactless, it was his right to voice his opinion. How unpopular it might be.

Siwon gazed at the dreamy state Kyuhyun seemed to be in as he played. He desperately wanted the other to notice him, awkwardly standing at the end of the bed. He had to say sorry, that they met again must be a sign of God in some way. Siwon wanted to break through the melody but he couldn’t bear to shatter something so beautiful. The song didn’t sound familiar either, it sounded very old.

Siwon looked back at Shin Haneul. Was the girl related to him? She laid so peacefully in the hospital bed, but the girl looked nothing like Kyuhyun. She had an oval face shape, a tiny nose, and thin lips. A friend, perhaps? The song ended, leaving him and Kyuhyun in a deadly silence. Kyuhyun’s instantly shot up to meet his own. Siwon flinched at the strong gaze.

‘’I-uhm, I’m sorry for your loss.’’ Siwon took a deep breath, putting the tablet in the tablet holder. He had used it to put a physical wall between him and Kyuhyun. He couldn’t be a coward now. ‘’I want to apologize for our last conversation. You touched a few personal strings, but that doesn’t mean I should have lashed out. I hope you will accept that I’m sorry, and maybe we can hold a better discussion next time.’’ Siwon attempted a hesitant smile but he felt the corners of his mouth drop when he saw the unchanging expression.

“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun’s emotionless voice sounded so different when the man wasn’t engaged in the topic.

‘’I’m finishing my internship here. Listen, I really didn’t mean to offend you.’’

‘’Fine, I accept your apology.’’ Siwon glanced at him and to the girl. Kyuhyun moved his shoulders slightly, Siwon thought it was a shrug but it was hard to tell. The man didn’t seem to be fazed by his sincerity. The lack of response gave Siwon the feeling that Kyuhyun hadn’t been affected by their discussion like he had been. He coughed and pushed tiredly the stray hairs out of his face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter