Talks Amongst Friends

Follow That Red Thread Home

i think i know where this story is finally going now. parts of it anyhow

10 comments = new update


“Are you ok?” Soonyoung looked at him. In the car his eyes glowed, flashing as if he were ready to wreak Fae mischief.

Niko meowed. Today was just an all around bad day and Joshua looked absolutely wrecked. “Shua,” he said plaintively.

“Later,” he said, fingers tightening on the wheel. “Not here.”

“It has something to do with that guy?”

 Soonyoung never let things go. Something that Joshua hated. The Fae always somehow knew where to hit where it hurt the most and had an incessant curiosity.

“Please,” he said, stressing the word, “not here.”

Niko bit Soonyoung in warning. “He said later,” hissing a bit.

Soonyoung himself hissed, in pain. “Christ Niko. You didn’t have to bite.”

He moved hopping into Joshua’s lap gracefully, even in a moving car. “You Fae never know when to quit. That pesky habit of yours that makes you tease and torment humans. He said stop.” Eyes glowing red, he warned, “Or else.”

Nursing his wound, Soonyoung sighed. “So protective over your master.”

Niko hissed.

Joshua said nothing; his lips thinning impossibly.

Soonyoung had never seen him so shaken before. He placed his hand on Joshua’s thigh, “It’ll be all right.”

Joshua wanted to believe him. He wanted to believe Soonyoung so much. But Jeonghan’s presence in his life once again meant that the thread of Fate and Destiny were being woven once again. One or both of them were working against him and Joshua had struggled to win the last few lifetimes of not seeing Jeonghan at all. And he feared he wouldn’t win now.


“Get one of the menus from our favorite take out place,” Joshua said, taking off his shoes. “I’m too tired to cook.”

“Awww,” Soonyoung whined, “no home made cooking tonight?”

Joshua shook his head. “No. I’m exhausted.” He made his way up the stairs, “I’m going to change and put my things away. I’ll be right down.”

“Got it,” Soonyoung said. “I’ll grab some wine too.”

Quickly, Joshua changed and chucked his bag on the bed. He had to hide the box before Soonyoung’s stupid habit would make him find the pulsating magic that was left out in the open. Joshua didn’t want to talk about it. Not anymore.

He moved into the study quietly, closing the door. The stupid ribbon twinkled back at him. It seemed so harmless lying there on his desk. But the pain and the tears he had wept on it. What joy could he feel from that thing anymore?

Grabbing it he threw it in the box, sliding open his drawer protected with magic shields away from prying eyes. No more he told Niko. He always kept his promises. Always. Unlike a certain someone who had promised him things but didn’t keep them in the end. Closing that drawer, he hoped for the last time before he died this lifetime, he looked up to see Soonyoung open the door.

Joshua smiled faintly at him. “Done ordering?”

“Yea,” Soonyoung answered, giving Joshua a bright smile. “Niko said you’d be here most likely.”

“Just putting away some things.” Putting away important things to remind him. Always to remind him to not make the same mistakes. “Let’s go talk.”

Leading Soonyoung and Niko out of his study, Joshua kept his eyes forward. It was time to stop looking into the past. The past only held pain and memories best left buried.


“Why the hell are you sulking?” Seungcheol muttered as he took a swig from his beer bottle.

“I met the cute Professor Hong again today. Going home from lecture.” Jeonghan’s face was grim, deep in thought. But he too took a drink out of his bottle.

“Shouldn’t that make you happy?” Then again Seungcheol had told Jeonghan to keep his in his pants and think with his brain and focus on securing the job not running after cute fellow teachers.

“He was leaving with someone,” Jeonghan said, worrying at his finger. “He was walking with his cat on a leash, which was cute as . But he declined my invitation to dinner. Because this one dude showed up and they seemed close.” He scowled.

Seungcheol sighed. “Maybe he’s just a friend. As far as my ears know Professor Hong is single.”

Jeonghan whipped around, staring him down. “And who’s your little informant then?”

“Jihoon,” Seungcheol said, stabbing at his food. “He’s in his class and he says that Professor Hong has never told them of any relationship or mentioned any significant other. And that the love of his life is basically teaching and his cat.”

“That cat was friendly with him too,” Jeonghan added quietly. “He hissed and swiped at me when I tried to get near him.”

“The cat isn’t friendly,” Seungcheol said. “I’ve seen it around and it doesn’t like being touched at all.”

“That means the other guy and Joshua are close.” He chugged down the rest of his pitiful half bottle of beer. “.”

“You’re taking this awfully seriously for a guy you just met. Why so attached already?” And Seungcheol really was curious. Why was Jeonghan so attached to Joshua already? He barely knew the man. And while Joshua was a looker there was no reason to be so into him.

Slowly Jeonghan tried to explain. “It’s like instinct. Every time I’m near him I just want to get close.” He shook his head. “Hell, even when I’m not close I feel this tug. Like if I follow that tugging feeling I’ll find him and it’ll stop.” He ran a hand through his hair. “When I see him,” he paused trying to find the right words when they were on the tip of his tongue, “it’s like everything is right in the world and that void I’ve been trying to fill is gone.”  Jeonghan stared into the wall, eyes lost. “He makes my heart sing and I know it’s weird. But he feels like the one.”

Seungcheol stared at him. Jeonghan had never ever said that about any of his other lovers. He stayed with some long and others for a short period of time. But he had never said that they felt like the one. Never. And his friend had been trying to fill that hole in his heart for a long time. Seungcheol sighed. “I can’t believe I’m saying this but,” letting out a rush of air, “go get him then. Woo him and see if he is the one.”

Jeonghan laughed. “Definitely.” He gripped his jeans, his face alight with joy. “Being near him feels right and it’s so ing nice to feel that.”

“Don’t scare him away then,” Seungcheol warned.

“You and Jihoon need to help me gather intel. I’ll need all the info I can get on him. I need this to be a giant success.”

“I’ll see what Jihoon can do for you.”

“Thanks.”


In Joshua’s sealed drawer, down the hallway from his bedroom, a certain sky blue ribbon glowed, as if it heard the call of its original master and it knew destiny was calling to it. The motions of time kept going forward, and it knew it had a role to play once again.