Anthro 170: Magic, Religion, and Witchcraft

Follow That Red Thread Home

A/N: Magic, Religion, and Witchcraft is a legit class. I took it in college. it was labeled as anthropology. I loved that class


Joshua startled as his alarm went off. Why he was reminiscing about the how he broke the promise he didn’t know. It had been several lifetimes since then. And in each lifetime since then Jeonghan had not once come to find him. Just as he had told Fate.

He needed to get ready for work. He had classes to teach to little first years and those who sought out fun but weird classes, about Magical Theory and History, of the anthropological variety. It’s not like most of them even knew it was real.

Those students he taught later on in the afternoon or during the night depending on the nature of the day’s topic. Some spells were finicky as were certain potions. Overall Joshua taught them how to harness the energy within. None of them had enough magical talent for large spells anyhow, which was sort of a pity but not surprising.

His older students had magic in middling amounts. Big enough for doing everyday spells should they desire but not anywhere near big for flashier spells. Not without the aid of another magic user.

Getting up he sighed. Maybe he’d get some fresh blood in this year. Different talents.

Shuffling into the bathroom, he repressed another sigh at the sight of bloodshot eyes. Joshua would have to brew a sleep potion, one that held the dreams back.

He started washing his face. As he cleaned the cleanser off he murmured a hello to his cat and recently acquired familiar. Well recent in the last few lifetimes. “Good morning Niko. How was your night?”

He yawned, opening his cat jaws wide. “Wonderful. Full of mice and souls to eat.”

Joshua spit out the mouthful of toothpaste. “Keep dreaming of souls then Niko. You know I don’t feed you actual ones.”

The cat lashed out his tail. Arching his back to stretch, Niko let out a sigh. “I know. So mean of you master. To not feed your demon cat familiar souls.”

Joshua rinsed out his mouth. “Don’t pout Niko. It’s not cute. And you were lucky I took you in after I found you nearly dead in that alley way eons ago.”

Niko wound his body around Joshua’s ankles. “But then shouldn’t you be nicer to me. You saved me from near death. Just one little taste Shua.”

Joshua moved around Niko, getting into the shower. “I would but what souls have I come into contact with Niko,” he deadpanned. “None.” Turning on the shower head he said, “It’s not like we actively go out and attack other monsters for souls. I teach regular mundane magic. Not battle magic.”

Niko meowed. “Such a pity. The times truly have changed.”

Humming in the shower Joshua washed his hair, tuning Niko out. The demon cat would get in a small tizzy once a month on how he’d never had the chance to eat souls anymore. But considering their lifestyle it was obvious why Niko couldn’t.

Taking the towel on the rack he dried himself off, making sure to not accidentally step on Niko. The first lifetime he had picked up the demon cat Joshua would forget and step on his tail more often than not. It resulted in scratches and yowls and pitiful big watery cat eyes.

“I need to go to work now Niko. I’ll see you at the magic classes in a few hours ok?” Joshua said as he dressed and towel dried his hair.

Niko nodded. “Of course Shua. I’ll be sleeping on the desk waiting for all the magelings to come in. I’ll even greet them with my lovely eyes.”

Joshua chuckled, grabbing his bag before giving Niko a few head rubs. “Don’t scare the new students with your eyes ok?”

“Not making any promises,” he said, rubbing his head into Joshua’s hand.

“Bye Niko,” Joshua said, leaving the cat on the bed. “Be good.”

He nodded. “Promise,” he said with a sly smile.

Joshua shook his head as he put on his shoes, locking the door to the house. Niko was a sly familiar. It reminded him of someone. Someone who shouldn’t have even been in his mind, except that stupid dream. He gave himself a little slap. Now wasn’t the time to be thinking of the past. It was done and over. Joshua could live his life without the pull for Jeonghan. No more.


Joshua walked into class, a bright smile on his face. He settled his bag on the table and started setting up. Taking his laptop out he started plugging it into the system and turning on the projector.

“Good morning Professor Hong,” Wonwoo said. “It’s nice to be working with you again.”

“Ah Wonwoo. You’re TAing for my morning class this quarter?”

He nodded. “And Jun is taking over for your afternoon classes. Since he has more talent there.”

Joshua smiled. “I see. Last quarter was a bit tough on you.”

Wonwoo gave him a faint smile in return. “A good experience though. What can I do now?”

Giving Wonwoo a stack of papers Joshua said, “Place stacks of the syllabus on the ends. Have some in your hand in case it doesn’t get all the way around later when students sit down.”

Wonwoo gave him a salute.

Joshua up at front slowly clicked open the introductory powerpoint and made sure his clicker and pointer worked. Nodding in satisfaction he sat down and waited for class to start.

Slowly the students trickled in, gazing at him with curious eyes. Looking at Wonwoo with wide eyes, the girls and boys alike. Joshua chuckled. Same as usual. They’d be crushed when they found out he was taken by a leggy Chinese student that went by the name of Jun and loved to hang all over his boyfriend.

The clock hit ten o’ clock. Joshua stood up, grabbed his microphone attaching it to his shirt. “Good morning class. This is Anthro 170: Magic, Religion, and Witchcraft. If this is the wrong class please exit quietly. If you need some help finding the right one, my TA, Wonwoo,” Joshua pointed to Wonwoo who stood at the top of the sweeping lecture room, “can help you. If you’re at the right place welcome. Please take a syllabus. Those at the end of the rows take one and pass it down. When you get to the end please pass it behind you. And so on and so forth. If you run out raise your hand and Wonwoo can hand you some more.”

Joshua smiled at all of the students. “Let’s have a fun quarter.”


He smiled as the students trickled out of the lecture hall. Joshua took the questions about adding the class and other minor administrative questions. Those students too left. Wonwoo clambered out of his seat and walked up to help Joshua put things away.

“Lunch or going back to your office sir?”

Joshua shook his head. “To get Niko something special. He’s been whining all year about it. I found one for him. Then I’m getting a snack before my afternoon classes.” He gave Wonwoo his crinkled eyed smile, “I expect you to see you at my afternoon classes tomorrow?”

“Of course sir. Jun would shave me if I wasn’t. Not to mention I think I have something to use for the project this year.”

“Hmmm,” Joshua said nodding. “That’s good. Hopefully the new blood will be easier to teach than you lot are.”

Wonwoo let out a deep chuckle. “We know you love us sir.”

Joshua wrinkled his nose at him. “Only because you guys were so cute and unsure your first year. Now you’re all uppity. Where did the confidence come from?”

“You taught us to be sure of ourselves,” Wonwoo replied holding out Joshua’s bag.

Taking it Joshua shook his head. “What a mistake on my part.”

“I’ll see you at 2 o’ clock sir.” Wonwoo gave a shallow bow and left.

Joshua clucked his tongue, before he too left the lecture hall. As he walked down the hall he heard a voice.

“Didn’t you hear? The school hired someone new for the Biological Sciences Department.”

“No I didn’t. Why?”

“Professor Jones took maternity leave. She found out she was pregnant. The new guy is only temporary. Although I heard that they might take him on if he proves to be good enough.”

“Ah. Lucky bastard. Some of us had to jump through lots of hoops to get here.”

Joshua shook his head as the voices died down. The Biological Science department had nothing to do with him and his courses. His were housed under a special area of the school. The more secretive part. Magic had deep roots after all.


“You ready for you first day teaching here?”

Jeonghan shrugged. “Yea. But somehow, I’m feeling antsy. Like something is pulling at me.”

“Nerves,” Seungcheol responded. “You’re lucky I heard about the opening and talked to some of my friends in the department.”

Jeonghan nodded. “Thanks for that.” He shook his head, “It’s not nerves though. I just feel this weird pull. Something’s tugging at me.”

“Yea well don’t let it mess you up. My reputation will take a hit if you mess up. I talked a good talk for you.”

Jeonghan slapped him on the back. “I know. Thanks best friend.” He raised a brow, “Don’t you have somewhere to be? A date?”

He looked at his phone. “! Jihoon will kill me if I’m going to make him late for his next class. I’ll see you later for lunch!” He shot down the paved road, weaving in and out of students and faculty alike.

Shaking his head, Jeonghan sighed. He looked up at the imposing building that held his first lecture of the day, Intro into Biology. Fun stuff. He ignored the tugging feeling as he walked in.


Joshua walked by the Biology department main building. He’d have to hustle if he wanted to make his meeting for what he was getting Niko.

If he had looked to the side, he might’ve noticed a familiar figure. One that he managed to avoid for several life cycles.


A/N: I'll be updating I'll be yours if you'll be mine or matchmaker soon. not sure which one yet.