Sunsets

Follow That Red Thread Home

“Shua,” Niko called out. He poked his demon kitty head out of his bed, staring at Joshua sadly.

Joshua turned to him, looking away from his computer. His eyebrows went up, silently asking what did he want.

“I’m sorry,” he mraowed. “I wanted to avenge you somehow.”

Joshua shook his head. He knew Niko loved him. Loved Joshua enough to kill for him. But this need for revenge was misplaced. Jeonghan didn’t even know Joshua in this life time and Joshua was no longer tied to him. The past simply hurt no matter how he tried to lay it to rest. Even in the depths of all the sadness, Joshua never had a desire to kill Jeonghan. “And what if I wanted to do to kill Jeonghan Niko? You would’ve taken away my chance to do it?”

“But you’re too kind,” he meowed. “You would never hurt him,” Niko spat.

“Because there’s no reason to,” Joshua explained quietly. “He may have hurt me but it doesn’t mean we should kill him over it. He can’t hurt me anymore.” Joshua’s heart throbbed, even if he could lie with a straight face his heart always betrayed him. “So let it go. I know the demon in you calls out to hurt those who have hurt your loved ones but he isn’t worth it.” Clenching his fists, Joshua looked Niko in the eyes. The past him yelling back at his master that young lord Yoon wasn’t worth it. “Don’t waste your time hating him. We just need to be happy.”

Niko burst into kitty wails. He came out of his bed, climbing Joshua’s legs. He blubbered his apologies, declaring that he loved Joshua.

Gathering Niko into his arms, Joshua held him tight, gently weaving healing magic through his body. “I love you too.”


Joshua left Niko purring away in his sleep. He contemplated ordering in and getting a pizza or something. But he chose to be an adult and make something healthy. Or semi-healthy. He set out to make a simple stir-fry noddle dish.

Humming a song, Joshua grabbed his ingredients. He washed the veggies, setting them aside to cut them later. He set to cook the noodles first. Just as he was cutting into the package, his phone went off.

He picked it up; his hands going numb. Joshua forgot. It slipped his mind that he agreed to go on a date with Jeonghan.

Jeonghan didn’t forget though.

                Jeonghan: Are you free this weekend? There’s this place that has a gorgeous view of the beach.

Joshua held in a shiver. It was just a coincidence. This Jeonghan didn’t know that Joshua loved beaches. It was luck. He didn’t know Joshua in this life time, in any life time. Jeonghan never remembered anything.

Taking in a deep breath, he let it out slowly. Joshua didn’t want to deal with this, but the sooner he went on that date the sooner Jeonghan would disappear from Joshua’s life like he did many lifetimes.

                Joshua: I am. Were you thinking dinner?

                Jeonghan: Yes! Watching the sunset going down on the beach would be nice right? 😉

Joshua snorted. Unbidden, his mind wandered to a time when Jeonghan brought Joshua to the shores as Joshua missed being near a body of water that wasn’t a pond or a river.

They hadn’t really spent much of the time watching the sun go down. Not at all.


“Come on Shua,” Jeonghan laughed, guiding a blindfolded Joshua.

“I can feel sand Jeonghan,” Joshua pointed out, gently making his way as Jeonghan led him somewhere. “We’re at the beach, aren’t we?”

Joshua could hear the pout on Jeonghan’s lips. “You’re ruining the surprise darling.”

Laughing, Joshua held on tight. “Hardly a surprise when we’re walking on sand.”

“Shh,” Jeonghan said, pulling Joshua to him.

Joshua let himself be held. He felt a pair of lips make their way onto his. Gasping, he kissed back.

Jeonghan pulled away slowly; he took Joshua’s blind fold off. “Look at the view Shua. It’s almost as beautiful as you.”

Blushing as red as crab, Joshua pinched Jeonghan’s arm.

They spent the rest of the evening kissing on the beach rather then watch the sun disappear into the horizon.


There would be no kissing on this one date. It would be short and Jeonghan would find Joshua cold and uninterested.                

Joshua: Text me the address. I’ll meet you there at 6.

A bit brusque, but Joshua didn’t want to encourage any of Jeonghan’s flirty nature.

. Wait. How would he tell Niko about this? Damn.