A Magical Meeting...not

Follow That Red Thread Home

Following that red thread home ch 4

A/N: this is part one of my brithday present i guess. even though it's more a present to the readers than to me. But anyhow so here's a chapter since it's my birthday. I had planned to update three stories but i'll likely only be able update two. happened yesterday and i'm busy today not with birthday related things but stupid life things.


Taking a moment to compose himself, he put a smile on his face. “I don’t see how it’s any of your business Jihoon. Can I ask why you’re even asking?”

Niko got up, bell jingling. No doubt ready to fight in Joshua’s defense.

He blushed. “I’m dating Seungcheol now. And I just wondered…”

Joshua shook his head, holding up a hand to stop him. “Listen. What you do with Professor Choi isn’t my business. But if you must know I had with him once and only once. It was a long time ago. Before he was dating you. Eight years ago, even. Is that enough to satisfy your curiosity?”

“Yes,” Jihoon said. “I just wanted to make sure. You’re one of my teachers and all and I see you quite a bit. And I…”

Picking up on the unsaid words, Joshua let out another sigh. “It wouldn’t have mattered. I wouldn’t be unfair to you simply because you were dating him. I haven’t even had a good talk with him in months. We’re not exactly friends. Our relationship was literally one night of and that was it. There are no lingering feelings. Don’t worry.”

“I’m sorry Professor. I just needed the reassurance,” he said.

The look on Jihoon’s face was enough for Joshua to see that he felt insecure and that even coming here took a lot out of him. For him to say that he needed reassurance must’ve hurt. “I don’t have any feelings for Professor Choi. I’m happy if you’re happy with your relationship with him.” Leaning over Joshua brought Jihoon’s face up to see him better. “And one word of advice. If he’s with you now it means that there’s nothing left between us all right. If he’s an just turn him into a frog temporarily.”

Jihoon let out a laugh. “Of course, Professor.”

Niko settled back down.

Joshua let go of his face. “Now. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Are we really summoning familiars this quarter?” His eyes twinkled with excitement.

“Yes. It’s time for you all to have one. Most of the class is built around partner work so you and your familiar can work on your rapport together.”

Jihoon nodded. “That’s all I have.” He sheepishly said, “I’m sorry for asking such a private question. But when he mentioned you off handedly and all I couldn’t help it.”

“No feelings at all. Didn’t even feel anything for him then either.”

“It’s not only just that. You’re,” he bit his lip, “you’re very good looking Professor and I’m only me.”

“Looks aren’t everything Jihoon,” Joshua said, staring at him, trying to convey his sincerity. “If he ever leaves for someone who’s supposedly better looking than he wasn’t worth it.”

“Thanks,” he said. He looked at the clock. “I have to go to class before I’m late. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Joshua waved goodbye. As soon as Jihoon closed the door he deflated.

“Good lord. What is with today?”

Niko blinked his eyes. “Did something happen earlier today?”

“Human crap Niko. It’s what I get I guess for having with people. But they weren’t attached,” Joshua despaired. “God. Bringing up something that happened years ago.”

Niko sniffed haughtily. “I told you not mate with that god forsaken human. Look what it brought you.”

“It was only for one night Niko,” Joshua snapped. “It meant little, beyond getting some ual release.” Groaning Joshua said, “It’s the fact that the idiot is now dating someone I teach that’s all. What kind of ing imbecile tells the person he’s dating that he had with one of the other teachers here?”

“An idiot,” Niko deadpanned, his paws. “The camel look alike is an idiot.”

“I guess I’ll have to actually call him for once. And make sure he shuts the hell up about it. Idiot.”

“I told you Shua,” Niko repeated.

Joshua stared at his familiar. “Sometimes Niko you’re a giant nag.”


Hearing a knock on his door, Joshua sighed, taking one big breath of air before saying, “Come in.”

Lo and behold. The idiot who told his new boyfriend that he ed a professor, who happened to be his new boyfriend’s teacher.

“You called me?” Seungcheol sounded perplexed.

Which given the situation he should. Joshua never contacted him ever again after that one night besides saying the occasional hello and head nods when he saw him.

Waiting until Seungcheol closed the door, Joshua spoke before he could say anything even more idiotic, “I don’t appreciate you telling your new boyfriend about having with me.”

His jaw dropped, “What?”

Joshua smiled, one that said you’re on thin ing ice. “Jihoon is one of my students. He apparently wanted to know if we or just me, I assume, had any lingering feelings for you. I ing don’t,” Joshua hissed. “Stop telling your new boyfriend things that happened years ago. We ed for one night and that was it. Keep it to yourself.” Joshua stood up, marching angrily towards Seungcheol poking him in the chest. “It’s annoying as hell. And what kind of ing idiot tells his new boyfriend he had with a fellow professor. Especially one who’s his boyfriend’s damn professor.”

“I didn’t know you were his professor,” Seungcheol said, holding his hands up in defense. “I mentioned you in a tangent that you and my friend would probably be compatible. The fact that we had that one time slipped out when Jihoon asked me how I knew you when we don’t even work in the same department.” His dumb eyes opened wide, “I didn’t mean to. Sorry.”

Jabbing him again, Joshua snarled. “Well don’t bring me up again. Even if it’s in relation to your friend. If he’s as dumb as you he’s not my type. And you might want to reassure Jihoon that our one night of was just for and it meant nothing and that you don’t even remember it. Otherwise you might further damage your relationship.”

Seungcheol nodded. “You’re right. It’s already bad enough that we were childhood neighbors and sort of friends. The fact that I had with you when he was pining away for me is bad.” He spoke quietly, in a sad sort of voice, “That night was a bad idea but it helped cement the idea that I was in love with him.”

Joshua held up his hand. “I don’t need to hear anymore. You should be telling Jihoon this. Not me.”

“I’m sorry for this mess and for well using you I guess that night and all.”

Snorting Joshua said, “I used you too. Don’t worry. I had no feelings for you. You’re not my ing type. Don’t think too highly of yourself. You aren’t all that.”

His face fell a bit further. Joshua shouldn’t take vindictive pleasure out of this but damn it all he caused Joshua a headache.

“Right,” Seungcheol said. He rubbed the back of his head. “Sorry and all. And I’ll go tell Jihoon that stuff. Thanks. I guess.”

Joshua waved him to leave. “Yes, yes. Bye and don’t darken my office again.”

Seungcheol gave him a head nod, closing Joshua’s door with a snick.

Niko blinked his eyes open. “The camel go away now?”

Joshua sighed and nodded. “Do I look like a therapist Niko? Why do people keep confessing their problems to me?”

“You look like a nice person Shua. That’s why.” He yawned. “But will you listen to me from now on about the people you have with? Wasn’t that a huge mistake.”

Joshua groaned into his hands. “The biggest mistake I made in this lifetime.”

Niko looked at him, his eyes piercing through him, “Bigger than the first mistake that broke your heart?”

His heart pounded slowly. It felt like the blood stopped as Joshua looked up at Niko with the bleakest of expressions. “No,” he said. “Nothing will ever top that first mistake,” Joshua replied quietly.

Getting up Niko climbed Joshua’s legs. He rubbed his head against Joshua’s face. “Let’s just live life without stupid people Shua. Look at how they hurt you.”

Joshua said nothing holding onto Niko like he was his only lifeline.


Going to a bar the night before an intermediate magic class was dumb. But in all honesty Joshua needed something. This bar at the very least was owned by a friend.

“Hoshi,” Joshua said. True names were never spoken out loud for the Fae. Not unless the Fae wanted that person to have power over them. Joshua, while he knew Hoshi’s true name kept it to himself as a good friend did.

“Here on a school night Shua? What’s wrong?”

Joshua gave him a tight-lipped smile. For Hoshi to pick up on his mood was annoying at times, but it happened to be his specialty. “Lots of things. None of which I want to discuss here.”

Hoshi nodded, going to mix a drink for Joshua.

This bar in particular catered to the supernatural denizens of that roamed the streets of the cities and those who came here for business or a visit. It wasn’t someplace to discuss Joshua’s old mistakes with magic and life.

Gently, he placed a clear drink in front of Joshua. “Vodka on the rocks. You need something strong.”

Laughing Joshua asked as he took it, “Where’s the rocks?”

Hoshi smiled at him. “You definitely don’t need the rocks.”

Joshua saluted him with the glass, downing half of it in one go. After hundreds of lifetimes of drinking Joshua no longer winced or made faces at the taste of alcohol like he had done before drinking with a certain someone. It tasted like water some lifetimes.

“Want to talk about tomorrow when you’re free?” Hoshi asked. He gave Joshua a concerned look.

Staring into the glass Joshua nodded. “Yea. Come by for dinner. I’ll tell you all about the show of today.”

Patting Joshua on the back he replied, “Got it. I’ll bring something nice for Niko too.”

Joshua stared into the cup a bit more before swallowing the rest of the contents. “Thanks for the drink. I need to get home for tomorrow. Can’t do magic hungover.”

Hoshi giggled. “The kids won’t know what hit them if you ever did.”

Joshua giggled right back. “Hmm. True that. Bye Hoshi.” He waved.

Walking out of the bar, he nearly stumbled into someone. “Sorry,” he mumbled. It wasn’t actually his fault as the guy was the one who was clearly drunk as a skunk and the area around the bar was never well lit at all.

The guy apparently had a good look of Joshua’s face as he said out loud, “You’re really pretty! Want to celebrate with me?! I got a new job today!”

Joshua smiled. He shook his head walking down the road, “I think your friends are looking for you. Have a nice time celebrating.” Joshua walked away as the guy’s friends caught up with him and took him into their arms, no doubt taking him home before he bashed his head into the pavement.


“Jeonghan,” Seungcheol groaned. “Seriously.”

Minhyuk laughed at the face Jeonghan pulled. “Did the pretty man reject your offer?”

Jeonghan nodded. “Yea. He was pretty.”

He kept laughing. “Oh well. I don’t think he likes drunks. Let’s get you home so you can teach tomorrow.”

Seungcheol stared at the figure. Was that who he thought it was? It didn’t matter, he thought, as Jeonghan nearly hit him in the face with his flailing hand. Joshua said to never bring him up again and Seungcheol would respect that.


Joshua shushed Niko as the cat kept meowing into his ear as Joshua held him to his chest by his . “Quiet you loud cat. I didn’t do anything last night. Which I told you this morning.”

Niko whined. “You should’ve taken me with you.”

“Shush. We’re not alone.”

Niko pouted, rubbing his head into Joshua’s shoulders.

This quarter was a bit annoying as one of his intermediate magic classes were scheduled right after a Biology class. Joshua couldn’t show up early and set up at all. He waited against the opposite wall with some of familiar faces. He nodded to them as they bowed back.

The door opened and a flood of students filed out. Niko flicked his ears as they waited against Joshua’s jaw, his tail dangling like a menace.

“Hold the door open would you Wonwoo?” Joshua asked as he saw Wonwoo come and take the door in hand.

“Sure thing Prof.”

Why they assigned Joshua to such a big room here in all the buildings on campus he didn’t know? Any large lecture room would’ve been fine. But he guessed it was an easier clean up with the tiled floors of this one. Joshua walked in and waited as the teacher of the previous class was cleaning up and talking to students.

Joshua’s own students filed in and sat in the first three rows. They knew by now that intermediate classes were intimate more often than not. Although from certain stories Joshua heard, the intro classes were sometimes rather full.

The teacher turned and Joshua almost dropped Niko out of surprise.

“Oh. Sorry if I'm taking too long. First week of teaching here and I just wanted to get things done right.” The guy gave Joshua a smile.

A guy that was all too familiar to Joshua. Of all people to come back into Joshua’s life. Why him?