Chapter 4

Chasing a Shadow

The numerous sleepless night and stress took a toll on the body. Seunghyun slept through the day. He was surprisingly calm when he woke up in the hospital. He glanced at the clock on the wall before turning his attention to Jiyong. Tears filled the brim of his eyes as he looked at the love of his life.

He remembered everything. His life…Seungri’s life. Seungri’s memories…

 

“Seunghyun, you are awake! How are you feeling?” Jiyong woke up to Seunghyun’s movement. Seunghyun blinked his tears away as he resolved himself. It was something that he must do when he was still in control.

 

“I’m fine hyung. A bit dizzy. Ah hyung, can you drop by my apartment and pick up my phone. I left it there. I need some fresh clothes too.”

 

“Are you okay on your own? You gave me a scare idiot.”

Seunghyun smiled sheepishly as he pushed Jiyong lightly.

“Yea yea. Hurry hyung! I can’t live without my phone.”

 

Jiyong chuckled at that. He planted a kiss on Seunghyun’s lips before leaving the ward.

Seunghyun was stunned for a moment before the dams that held back his tears broke.

Why? Why him? Why did this have to happen to him? He could already see Jiyong’s disgusted face when he sees the pictures and video. Jiyong shouldn’t be involve in this any further. He shouldn’t be hurt anymore. Not by his family. Not by Seungri. Not by him. He will protect Jiying with his life and repent for his sins.

With that, he dragged his body up the stairs to the rooftop. He closed his eyes to feel the wind caressing him. How relaxing…

He climbed over the ledge and settled down. The round moon captured his attention. It was so pretty tonight. He suddenly remembered a folktale about how the moon will drag mischievous children down to hell. Today will be his turn.

He immersed himself in the beauty of the moon, basking in the moonlight. He lost track of time until the door slammed opened. A dishevelled and  agitated Jiyong stumbled in.

“Tell me it’s not true! Seunghyun ah tell me it’s a prank. Tell me!” Jiyong yelled.

Seunghyun took a look at his wristwatch, Almost time. He stood up shakily and turned to face Jiyong. It was only then did Jiyong noticed Seunghyun’s situation and intention.

“No wait Seunghyun ah. It’s dangerous up there. Come down first. We can talk later.”

“Hyung, do you know that I really wanted to be the best detective in the world? I really thought that I could make a difference in this world.” Seunghyun spoke wistfully, looking down on Jiyong.

“Lee Seunghyun come down right now! I will listen to you but come down first ne?” Jiyong shouted as he inched closer.

Seunghyun ignored him and continued in his flat deadpan voice. “I was really dedicated to bring justice to the world and make you proud. I wanted to bring peace to the victims and their family. I wanted to be a hero hyung! But why?! How did I become the villain?” Tears gushed down his face, his heart constricted as he tried to reign his wild emotions.

 

“Seunghyun ah it’s not you. You are not Seungri. It’s not your fault,” adrenaline pulsed through his veins as Jiyong tried to reason with Seunghyun. But that seemed to trigger an outburst, making Seunghyun more agitated and irrational.

“That’s bull! You know very well that it’s me. I am Seungri. Seunghyun is Seungri. I remembered everything hyung. EVERYTHING! Seungri’s memories! I killed them all. The blood is on my hands. I have fallen so long without me realising. How could I ever justify myself when I was the one that created the monster. My skin itches at the feeling of dried blood, my flesh burns and my blood feels like acid at the thought of me being Seungri. How can I get rid of this gut-wrenching guilt when I remembered how I console the family members of the victims?! How I promised to bring them justice. How can I continue living while they rot under the ground? How can I ever forgive myself?!

I hate this vile creature who should be rotting in hell! I hate Seungri! And most of all I hate myself. Seungri is right. It was all my fault!” Seunghyun was gasping heavily as he hammered his chest at the suffocating self-hatred that corroded him from inside.

“Seunghyun ah!”

Jiyong gasped at the sight of Seunghyun backing further to the edge of the building.

“Nonono! Don’t do this to me!” Jiyong cried desperately.

“Watch me hyung. Watch me become the hero. Watch his despair, fear and anger. Watch how Seungri falls to hell.” Seunghyun gave Jiyong a cheeky grin that Jiyong grown to love.

Seunghyn looked at his wristwatch as he started counting down.

“3,2,1.”

At the count of one when the second hand hit 12, he gave Jiyong a victorious smile and let himself fall backwards.

“Seungri, see you in hell.”

His mind turns blank when he heard the chime of the clock tower.