Chapter 1

Chasing a Shadow

Seunghyun returned home feeling dreadful. Today, yet another politician couple was found dead in the same gruesome manner. Seungri left another message for the police force.

“I am tired of this game of ours. Let’s end this soon. I will reveal myself as my ultimate revenge. Brace yourself because truth is reality and reality is darkness. I am part of darkness. I am Shadow.”

 

He took off his jacket and threw himself on the bed. He almost dozed off until his phone vibrated.

“Goodnight_Jiyong”

Seunghyun smiled at that. He was about to reply when he noticed the blinking light from his desktop. He was immediately alert because he hasn’t been using the desktop in months. Someone must have broken into his apartment. He made his way towards the desktop apprehensively, an ominous feeling sinking in. He on the screen and stumbled back at the image. It was a slideshow of the pictures taken at the crime scenes of Shadow. Pictures of the victims seconds before they took their last breath. Pictures taken by none other than Seungri.

There was a video in the folder named “brace yourself”. He immediately clicked onto the video. The man who appeared on the screen turned his blood cold. Seungri who bore the face of him Seunghyun.

 

Seungri smirked into the camera. “Hihi! Surprise! Have you braced yourself detective Lee Seunghyun. I did warn you that I will take my ultimate revenge, didn’t I? Now now don’t be so confuse. Let me give you a short recap of your history that you conveniently forgot. Lee Donghyuk, former minister of education, your father. Deceased at age 40. Park Yejin, secretary of Lee Donghyuk, your mother. Deceased at age 32. Ring a bell? You should be very familiar with these names. Jiyong’s parents died because of them after all. And these cowards decided to kill themselves.

You are a coward yourself Lee Seunghyun. Don’t blame me for what I have done. It’s all your fault. All because of your weakness I have become the scapegoat for your sufferings. You created me and made me bear your pain, your sufferings while you live oblivious to everything. Why should I exist for your sake? Can you even understand the extent of my pain? Do you know how it feels like when the first thing I remember was my no, your mom strangling me? The fear that and despair I felt as I struggled futilely. Do you know how painful it was when my lungs burn for air as she choked me to death? The near-death experience a five year old has to endure. You conveniently forget everything didn’t you. But I remembered everything all too clearly. Every night the same nightmare haunted me. Can you imagine how it feels like to wake up in the embrace of an ice-cold corpse? The stickiness of dried blood on my face! How we lay in a pool of blood! Your parents committed suicide after they attempted to kill me…no attempted to kill you. Why? Why should I be chained to this hell when it was your parents who were sinned? Why should I remember everything when you should be the one?! Why am I suffering in your stead?!

 

Your diary…you mentioned about the sun…the happiness…hope…peace and love? You have no idea how much I longed for them. But it is impossible. You took away my ability to feel happiness. And I have no choice but to deal with your grief…pain…fear…hatred. How unfair is this. You get to wake up to a new day full of hope and happiness while I waited every night for the end to come. I was contemplating to end everything myself. But I met him that night. Kwon Jiyong_he was mine first. For the very first time in my existence, I found a reason to endure yet another night. He was a weak glow in my hell. He understood my pain. We belonged to the same world. We were meant to be and I was…happy…yeah I felt happiness for the first time. I thought it god’s way of rewarding me for what I have done for you. God let me fall in love first.

 

But you took him away from me yet again. Once again you stripped me bare and threw me back into the blackhole of hell. I hate you. I have never felt this much hatred towards anyone else. Not even towards your mom who was my nightmare.

Fear me Lee Seunghyun…and in turn fear yourself. Hate me and in turn hate yourself. I tainted my hands in blood and in turn tainted yours. I sold my soul to the devil to drag you down to hell with you. I am you and you are me. We are one right from the very start.

I can totally imagine your face right now. Are you disgusted? Do you hate me? Can you feel the blood soaking through your skin? Can you taste the fear of the victims? The melody of their screams? How they struggled helplessly until they draw their last breath?

 

So what are you going to do now? You have until midnight to make your decision. Once I take over I don’t know what crazy thing I would do. I was thinking of going to hell…together with Jiyong. We will be together once and for all.

All the best Seunghyun and bye bye…”