Chapter 2

Chasing a Shadow

Seunghyun stared blankly at the face of Seungri in the screen. He could not process what he just saw. He…who is he? No…no way. It must be a trick. Seungri cannot be him. Stay calm Lee Seunghyun! Think!

Jiyong! He need to let Jiyong know about this! Seunghyun frantically rummaged for his phone, His eyes widened when he saw the time on the screen, 11.59pm. He pressed the speed dial immediately as his hands trembled while waiting for the line to connect.

“Please…please answer. Ji hyung please!” he cried desperately while watching the second hand of the clock ticking away. For the first time he felt fear…and despair.

 

“yeoboseyo” Jiyong finally answered the phone. Seunghyun felt a surge of relief.

“Ji hyung! Listen I_” his time ran out and he lose consciousness.

 

Seungri came to awareness as he surveyed the room. He noticed the phone lying next to him and placed it next to his ears.

“hyun, Seunghyun are you there?”

 

Seungri was overwhelmed. It has been ages since he last heard this voice. He had never expected himself to wake up ever again in the first place.

“Yea…yeah.” He stuttered.

 

“Thank god. Don’t make me worry idiot. So why are you calling me?”

 

“I want to meet you.” Seungri whispered. This might really be his last chance to hang out with him.

“Huh? Seriously, our date just ended like 30 minutes ago. That’s why I say you should just move in with me. You are so silly Lee Seunghyun. Give me 30 minutes l will drive back to your apartment. Love you.”

The call ended. Tears pricked at Seungri’s eyes but he refused to let them fall. This heartache…caused by the man who gave him reason to love. He remembered all too clearly of that night…

 

 

Seungri woke up to yet another meaningless night. Throughout his 20 years of existence, all he knew was the unforgiving cold nights. He used to pray for the sun, to feel the warmth sinking into skin as he lay on the wet grass, taking in the blue sky decorated by floating clouds. It was his dream to be out there in the day and experience what he learned from the dramas. He wanted to be Lee Seunghyun for a day. As he grew older, he realised how foolish his dream was. His heart turned cold and envy soon evolved into jealousy and anger. He woke up every night to the feeling of fear then grieve and lastly despair. That night was the same. He began his night routine mechanically by dragging the exhausted body to the desk. He flipped to the newest entry. Another sappy and happy day for Lee Seunghyun. He scoffed at how delighted Seunghyun was at achieving his dream to join the police force, unable to comprehend the emotions Seunghyun described. All he knew was the jealousy burning in his heart. For a moment he thought of ending Seunghyun's dream for him. He slammed the diary close and proceeded to dress up for the night. He would hit the club. He needed a drink to quell his anger.

 

He was drinking alone at the bar counter when a young man collapsed onto him. He was utterly pissed and was about to throw the deadweight off when the man looked up. He was instantly drawn by his eyes. The dark hazy eyes that resembled two blackholes.

“I love your eyes. These eyes that devoid of superficial emotions. These eyes that are tainted by reality. I love your eyes, these eyes that reflect mine.” The stranger slurred.

Seungri was struck to the core by his words. Every cell in his body tingled and his heart swell almost painfully. What was this feeling? It wasn’t anything that he experiences before. So what is this unknown emotion? Seungri didn’t how to deal with the strange feeling but he was certain about one thing_he didn’t hate this feeling. He stared at the dead drunk stranger, taking in his feminine features. Pretty, he was so pretty.

Just then, another man approached them apologising even before reaching them.  “Oh my god. Sorry for the disturbance. My friend had too much drink tonight. Come on Jiyong let’s get you home.” The man bowed apologetically once again before dragging Jiyong out.

“Jiyong…JIyong. I like the name.”

 

He thought he could finally be free. He was happy to fall for Jiyong. A man of darkness himself. A man who carried the same burden as him. He finally knew what is love and happiness. But it was also this man that betrayed him. He will never forgive. Never forgive them...

 

He knew about this senior from Seunghyun’s diary. This supposed stuck-up monkey that annoyed Seunghyun. But he was more concerned about Jiyong. He needed to see him once again. With that he headed to the same club once again hoping to find that man. He did not even realised how his heart soar and how a smile crept onto his face when he spotted Jiyong drunk at the counter again. He took the place next to him silently as he listened to Jiyong ing about an annoying twerk that smile all day and how those corrupted old geezers should just die and rot. This rotting world revolved around money. With money comes power. There is no justice at all. Why is there a need for him and laws when the crime-infested society get their way out of law by smashing money on one another. Jiyong continued to babble about the corruption in the political world as Seungri listened amusedly. He was intrigued by Jiyong’s hatred. He hated them as well…he knew of Seunghyun’s parents after all.

He was engrossed at the way Jiyong flailed his arms around when he was agitated and how he grabbed his shirt for his opinion. And the gummy smile he flashed when he heard a satisfactory answer from Seungri. He was mesmerized by Jiyong until the same stranger who introduced himself as Youngbae interrupted again. Youngbae sighed and told him about the tragic story of Jiyong’s parents. Seungri was seriously shocked when he heard the names of the politicians. It must be fate to bring them together. They were fated to be.

Seungri took a last look at Jiyong’s upset face. He decided that he likes the gummy smile on his face better. He wanted to see that smile again. To achieve that, he will fulfil Jiyong’s wish. He will wipe out all the corrupted old geezers and let them rot in hell. He remembered the fear that overwhelmed him as he stared at his first victim. Memories of his past haunted him once again at the sight of the blood pouring out of the wound. He forced himself to calm down before cleaning up. “It’s all for Jiyong. All for Jiyong. He will be very happy. Very happy.” The next few nights were a nightmare for Seungri. He stayed at home in his bed as the screams from the victim echoed in his head. The rusty smell from the blood in the air. He saw red everywhere. But he chided himself to remain sane for Jiyong. He missed him. He wanted to see him so badly. With that thought, he finally gathered enough courage to leave his bed. Out of habit, he made his way to the desk and opened the diary. He had missed quite a few entries.

 

“That stuck-up monkey might not be so bad after all. He did acknowledge my ability as a rookie detective.”

 

“Sunbae smiled at me for the very first time today. It was such a pretty smile. I wish he can smile like this from now onwards.”

 

“Sunbae was so gentle. His embrace was so warm. I have no idea why I had such huge reaction from the crime scene today. I should be used to seeing corpse everyday but this time round it affected me more than usual. Sunbae was disappointed and angry at the murder of Oh Won Bin. He wanted to apprehend him himself. He swore to find the murderer and kicked his for meddling into his business.”

 

“Sunbae told me he admired my naïve dream for a peaceful world. He said that I could make it happen. I can still feel the warmth of his hand on my face. I might be falling in love with you sunbae.”

 

“I confessed today and he agreed. He told me that I am like the sunray that brightens his shady world. I love you Kwon Jiyong. Thank you for loving me too.”

 

Seungri dropped the diary and stood frozen like a statue. Jiyong…his Jiyong. A sense of betrayal hit him hard as he snapped. A giggled escaped from his mouth that soon escalated into laughter. He laughed until he cry. For the first time he learnt that there is a new level to hell. The level of pain and hatred was so intense that he finally admitted that he was insane. He must be insane to be able to laugh at his own bruise and bleeding heart that he wanted to tear out of his chest. Revenge… he wanted revenge. He will make them suffer. He will torment them and make them feel the same pain as he did. He will drag them to hell with him.

 

As revenge, he killed off many political figures by slitting their throats open. The same way Seunghyun’s parents died. Unlike the first time, he was brutal and emotionless. He killed them off while picturing Seunghyun and Jiyong frustration. Night after night, he numbed himself by killing off people until he was sick of the game. It was time to draw the curtain…Lee Seunghyun, let’s meet soon.