melting

one winter

You melt my icy heart like soft snow.

"Why?" is the first thing Eunbi says when she pulls herself away from the kiss, with sharp daggers in her brown orbs that were glaring deep down into Yuna's crestfallen eyes.

"I'm sorry," Yuna sobs, and repeats her apology, "I'm sorry Eunbi. Eunbi shakes her head, having heard enough of Yuna's apologies. 

"Eunbi, Eunbi," Eunbi squeezes her eyes shut and more tears flow out automatically. She covers her ears with her hands and sobs heavily, for the way she calls her name breaks her heart. "The one thing that I know for sure hasn't changed at all, not a single bit, is that for the past five years of my life, I never stopped loving you."

"Tell me!" Eunbi shrieks. "Tell me why," is all Eunbi is begging for: an answer. 

 

-

 

"Don't you have friends at school?" Yuna asked, confused. 

"I do," Eunbi answered immediately in protest. 

"Then why are you always meeting up with me?" Yuna continued questioning. 

"Can't I?" Eunbi nonchalantly replied.

"I don't get it. You're mean and cold when I try speaking to you but you just keep clinging onto me," Yuna spoke with some accidentally-inserted harshness. "Who knew you'd turn out to be like this when we first became friends," Yuna muttered.

"Unnie," Eunbi rolled her eyes, "I was nice to you! I led you on your way to work the first day you were here-" 

"Your point?" 

Eunbi exhaled. "I've never felt my heart this way than I've ever had with anyone else in my life."

 

-

 

"I'll tell you when you're calm," Yuna says with tears trickling down her cheeks. She turns and spots Eunbi's shoes messily kicked off at the doorstep. She walks into the bedroom to see the curtains giving way to only a small ray of light. Yuna blinks to let the welled-up tears fall, and turns to see a familiar cupboard. It creaks as she pulls the doors apart, and she sees everything in place as it had been since three years ago. Yuna then leaves the bedroom and goes pass the bathroom, her eyes not missing the cup and toothbrush on the right that hasn't changed for three years. She chokes on a sob and breaks down, falling to her knees. 

Eunbi's eyes are glued to the cupboard for after three years, it is only then that she realises: Yuna never did mean to leave. Overwhelmed, she chokes on a sob as she slowly learns to forgive. Then, she realises that she's forgiven Yuna for a long time already; it just took her long enough to accept that she was gone. 

Yuna looks up to see Eunbi slowly walking over with a straight tear-stained face, still snifling but refusing to show any emotion. 

Yuna slowly gets to her feet. "I'll tell you," she takes a deep breath. 

"My father found out about my life here and didn't like that I was living alone with another girl. When I told him I couldn't leave you because I love you, he flared up and demanded me to leave for home at once," Yuna speaks while Eunbi gazes emotionlessly past her. "I left when he threatened and tried to guilt-trip me with my mother who was almost dying. She passed away last year."

"So you left me without a word," Eunbi finally lets mouth open. 

"I had no choice, Eunbi," she says sorrowfully, "this may sound like a pathetic excuse, but he dragged me out of here in the middle of the night after you were asleep and I could never return till now."

"That's how I woke up one morning without you around anymore," Eunbi's tears start falling once again. Yuna walks up to her and envelops her in her arms, and this time, Eunbi does no retaliation but instead allows herself to into the warm embrace she has missed for three years. 

"Eunbi, I have to tell you this," Yuna continues whilst hugging Eunbi close. She heaves, "I married a nice man for my parents' sake two years ago, but we divorced last year after my mother's passing because we both knew I could never love him, and I never once did, because in my heart there was only you."

"Stop," Eunbi cries, "stop explaining."

Yuna sniffs and says, "I'm sorry-" 

"Stop apologising!" Eunbi shrieks and sobs once again. After some effort, she wills herself to stop. Eunbi wipes her tears off with the back of her hands and gulps, "I've forgiven you a long time ago," her lips quiver, "I hated you so much but I love you too much to keep blaming you."