mystery

one winter

The winter has come again. 

Eunbi receives a notification on her mobile phone from the weather tracker, indicating snow for the day. First snow, Eunbi thinks. In the living room, she opens the windows to enjoy the sight of the falling snowflakes. It is the season, the season where she can feel at least a little more alive, when snow and festive jolly could liven her up a little. Or maybe because her heart is frozen and when the temperature of the surroundings match she can actually keep up. 

Saturday, the usual boring day for Eunbi. She stands still at the window, with the only visible movements being the blinking of her eyelids every few seconds. 

It's first snow, Eunbi speaks in her head and releases a soft sigh. A faint smile appears on her face, remembering the meaning of first snow, and winter, to her. 

 

-

 

"Arasseo, umma, I will get the tickets by this week-" 

"Train tickets! Don't come back by plane," the college senior narrowed her eyes and brought the mobile phone a little away from her ears as a natural reaction to her mother's loud voice. 

"Arasseo," Eunbi whined, "You say this every year," she grumbled and scratched the back of her head. 

"I have to remind you," she heard the voice and sighed at the words. 

"Arasseo," Eunbi breathed, "I'm on my way to classes now, I'll call you soon," she added before hanging up, squinting her eyes across the street that she was about to cross. While the sun shone brightly Eunbi made her away across once the traffic light turned green. She then made her way as usual to her college where she would finally be graduating from after a few more months of boring lectures and endless assignments. 

As she reached the end of the road she bumped into a figure, not looking as she had just ended the call with her mother. 

"I'm sorry!" they both said and bowed immediately at the same time. 

Eunbi regained her posture. Stunned, she said, "No it's my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going-" uncontrollably froze and she couldn't speak when their eyes met. Eunbi couldn't help but be awed by the beautiful face before her. She doesn't look very much older than me, Eunbi thought. 

"It's okay," the girl flashed a shy smile. Eunbi bowed once more before walking off, but catching the words that the girl had been muttering under her breath, "I'm late for work on my first day," which were followed by a sigh. 

Eunbi halted her footsteps and pressed on the button of her mobile phone to check for the time. Seeing that she had an hour before school started, she bravely and absentmindedly made her way back to the girl and asked, "Would you need any help in going to a place? I've been living here for a few years and I know this area well."

The girl looked taken aback, to which Eunbi wasn't surprised. Anyone would be in that situation. "Is that really possible? I'm so sorry for taking up your time," she fretfully replied, "I'm so, so sorry but could you please?" 

The politeness in the voice somehow sounded pleasant to Eunbi and managed to ease the tension she held in her for mindlessly speaking to a stranger. And when her lips broke into a smile, snow began to fall that very instant. 

"Sure."

 

-

 

A lone teardrop slides down her cheek. Eunbi wonders what time it is already, for she is finally crying. The past two years went by with tearful first snows, and she has predicted that this one will be just the same. First snow is the only day she lets the pain and sorrow return to her, the only day she stops numbing herself from the misery of being alone, of being left behind. 

Why did she leave? It has been a mystery for three years. Had she perhaps, grown tired of taking care of me? is the question that follows immediately after the first. Eunbi knows, she's petty and troublesome, but they were happy. She is sure that they were happy.

Why then, why then did you leave? 

 

author's notes:

i didn't actually have an intention to make all the chapter titles start with the letter M but coincidentally they did!! hahaha let's see about the upcoming chapters. hope this update was satisfactory,,,