meaningless

one winter

Time stopped. Time stopped when you chose to leave.

Eunbi wakes up wakes up to the ringing of the alarm clock with the sun rays seeping into the room through the curtains. An arm emerges from underneath the sheets and roughly drops itself on the alarm clock to silence the ring. Eunbi slowly pushes sheets away and sits up. She then gets off her bed and without drawing the curtains apart she starts preparing herself for the day just like any other. 

Eunbi steps into the bathroom and mindlessly reaches for the cup on the right. She takes the toothbrush out of it and fills the cup up with water from the tap. Squeezing some toothpaste onto the toothbrush, she guggles some water and spits them out before starting to brush her teeth. Once the process is done, she washes her face and carries on with her routine in the bathroom. 

She then returns to the bedroom and opens the closet on the right. She casually reaches for a shirt and a skirt and changes out of her home clothing without much thought. She takes a brief glance at herself in the mirror before simply applying a thin layer of lipstick on her lips. 

Eunbi leaves the apartment after putting on a coat that hangs near the door with a bag in hand and makes her way to the bus stop from which she will commute to work by bus. 

When Eunbi reaches the office she seats herself at her designated desk, facing an empty desk across her. She then starts to concentrate on work, and her day goes on just like any other day, without excitement nor significance. 

When it is time for lunch Eunbi makes her way into the pantry and heats up a sandwich in the oven. On some days she gets cup noodles, other days rice rolls or if not, sandwiches. She then returns to her desk and seats herself before the monitor for another seven hours before she gets off work. 

On the way home Eunbi walks past a multitude of bright, lively department stores before reaching the nearest bus stop to her workplace. She boards the right bus when it comes, and seat herself at the same place as she has done for the past five years of her life, while the seat beside her remains empty as it has been for almost three years. She alights at the stop nearest to home, and goes back to the same route leading home but stops midway at a noodle place. Sometimes she has bibimbap on the restaurant on the right, or she would have gopchang at the one across the road.  After her dinner, she then continues on her way home as usual. 

Eunbi does not take notice of the bare trees along the street whose red and yellow leaves have all fallen, but she does feel the cold, stinging breeze against her bare cheeks that makes her realise that autumn is dead and winter is approaching. Eunbi makes a mental note to bring out the thicker coat as well as the winter boots. 

She kicks her shoes off at the entryway and blindly reaches for the switch and pushes it to switch the lights on, but only for half the apartment. She then drops her bag on a chair and removes her coat, hanging it up. After that, she proceeds to take a shower before laying herself down on the bed with the television on.

Eunbi doesn't watch television programmes, but she lets the noise drown her thoughts before her thoughts start drowning her. After a few hours of stillness, Eunbi then prepares to turn in for the day.

Every day is the same for Eunbi; every day is meaningless.

 

author's notes:

i'm actually not prepared to update this chapter yet but because of the 21 subscribers who so eagerly subscribed based on nothing but the lame description this is the first chapter for you~