500

Black or Red and White [Hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fourteen Yein browses the wooden, self-sculpted shelf—blanket over with hundreds of mechanical tools and parts scattered about—searching for the one piece she was asked to locate. “Ah here it is,” she goes to pick up a wrench before spinning around on her shoed heels. While striding over to the vehicle—a sports car lifted up with a jack and stabled with wheel chocks—she plays with the light tool in hand. “Here,” from under the parked car, a man reach out an open gloved hand to her as she rests the metal on his hand. “How is it going down there?” she questions, leaning to the side to get a peek.

“Al—most done,” the other answers in a slow, working voice.

“Kay, well I’m leaving,” Yein says as she moves away, swiftly to grab a black bag sloppily sitting on a stack of new tires.

Hearing her leave, the lad pulls out from under the car on a creeper, “Where are you going?”—Yein starts to jog out of the garage before she stops to look at him—“There’s some time left before Hanbin gets here,”

“I have to be somewhere, tell oppa I’ll catch up with you guys later,” without sparing another second, Yein rushes off with the bag secure around her shoulder. Despite the summer heat, she hurries out of the opened garage and runs through the crowded streets. Panting, she finally arrives at her destination—Haven Orphanage Home—a small place isolated from the big city. The home is where Yein grew up in after being abandoned multiple times by her parents, brother, and foster parents.

The girl stops by the doorsteps to look around the open front door. It was quieter than normal, “Hello?” she calls out when no one was in sight. “Teacher?” she tries again. This time an unfamiliar face greets her from around the corner.

“Who are you?” the stranger asks. The boy before her is handsome despite his ruffled, natural black hair and dirty face.

Yein is taken aback as the last time she saw a new face was four years ago, but instead of panicking she stands her ground, “I’m looking for Teacher,” there is a pause as she looks around some more, “do you know where she is?”

The boy appears unsure and stares at her, which made her uncomfortable. Right when he thought she’s going to cry, the lad tilt his head to one side, “Some of the children were throwing and burning up so she took them to the hospital,”

“Can I ask which hospital they went to?” Yein tightens her hold on the black bag, concern for the children.

“I wouldn’t know, she just said she was taking them to the hospital,” the boy tiredly answer. Yein can tell by his voice that he is getting fed up with all of her questions. Afterall it looks like the boy was in the middle of working when she unexpectedly shows up.

“Then I will come back later,” she says before turning around slowly just to be stopped by him.

“Is there something you wanted to say or give to her?” the boy asks. Yein didn’t like his tone, despite not knowing or ever having seen the boy before. He sounded careless or overwhelmed by her presence. However, Yein knows she must push her first impression of him aside if she wants a favor from him.

“Yes,” Yein spins back around to face the boy, “I have something I want to give to Teacher. It’s in my bag, if you can can you set the bag in her office? She will know what it is when she opens it,”

The boy steps forward, “Hand it over then,”

Yein grew reluctant as she tightens her hold, can she trust this boy? Once he was close enough, she slowly loosen her grasps and reach the bag out toward him, “please make sure it gets to her—”

One-handedly the other snatches the bag out of her reach, cutting her off entirely, “you can leave now,” the boy turns around and heads back inside without looking back. It is strange but the short interaction made Yein feel like she has done something wrong. As she leaves slowly, the boy watches her through the window until he is sure she is far away.

Quickly he opens up the bag and notices an envelope, some hand-sewn mittens, beanies, and medicine. He retracts the paper envelope then toss the rest aside—he is only interested in what the envelope holds. On the outside, he notices its decoration and the friendly note on the outside, ‘Thank you, Teacher. This is for everything you’ve done for me. I promise I won’t stop by as much anymore and I’ll live happily like you’ve asked me to. Be healthy and happy too. I love you, Teacher! <3’

The boy scoffs at the childish note as he opens up the envelope. To his satisfaction it was cash. A smirk grows on his face as he takes out the handful of raw cash and fold it into his sleeveless jacket, then drop the empty envelope onto the floor. Looking around the boy leaves the office room messy.

Meanwhile, Yein skips back int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter