part 1

꽃길 / gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung furrows her eyebrows at the noise she hears in the usually quiet alley she takes on her way home from school just like every other day.

She halts her footsteps to listen, and identifies it as the cry of a baby. Concerned, she takes hastened steps towards the source of the sound and finds herself before a stack of cardboard boxes.

Sojung tiptoes a little and looks over the cardboard boxes and finds a baby lying on an old pillow. She gasps at the sight that greets her, tears almost forming in her eyes. Without hesitation, she pushes the stack of cardboard boxes away and kneels down before the crying infant.

"Hello, my name is Jung Eunbi. Please take care of me," her voice cracks as she reads the note on the piece of paper beside the pillow. She spots stains of tears on the paper, before more fresh ones form as her own tears begin to fall.

The baby starts to cry even harder, as if she know of her impending sorrow. Immediately, Sojung carries the infant into her arms and holds her close.

No, Sowon blinks to let more tears flow, she will not let the child suffer as she has for her life.

 

Sojung walks away carrying the now sleeping baby in her arms and tries to make her way to the nearest police post.

She sighs as she starts pondering about her life again, as meeting the infant has made her do so. Sojung had spent her whole life alone without parents. Growing up alone in the countryside, she ran away from the crowded orphanage after she had graduated from middle school. With much effort she got herself into a high school. A kind old lady helped her live on as she offered her a place to live in, as the elderly was nearing her death but had no known family. Sojung used to wonder, what if the old lady had a family, just as she had in the past?

Now, she has no one. Not even the old lady, who has disappeared probaby after accepting her fate. All she left was a letter, her piggy bank and a f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter