part 2

꽃길 / gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung rushes home and gently places the already sleeping baby on the sheets, before rushing out again to get some supplies for the new life that she will be caring for.

When night falls, Sojung tries her best to study under the dim light of a thirty-year-old lamp after feeding and putting the child to sleep. However, she finds herself yawning more often than usual.

She sighs, knowing why, for the reason is obvious. Sojung asks herself if she has made the right decision.

Everything points to a yes, no matter how hard she knows her life is going to get. She convinces herself that she knows what she's doing: she's giving whatever she can to a soul who has lost what is supposed to be mandatory.

Her lips curve into a smile. She turns around to watch the sleeping baby, and for a moment she feels as if she is in heaven, and she feels the innocent sanctity of life that brings joy to her soul. Yes, Sojung smiles, what I am doing is right, she affirms herself in her thoughts.

 

A few months pass and Sojung finds herself rapidly losing weight as she skips meals to provide for the baby. Eunbi has now grown to about four thirds the size she was when Sojung had first seen her. Sojung also realises how the piggy bank (the money isn't even hers; it frustrates her) gets lighter and lighter by the day.

She sighs and thinks that she must brave through. One more month to the exams, which means one more month of hardship before she can finally ditch school for jobs to earn money and put food on the table.

 

As the New Year comes Sojung sees herself working at a convenience store in the middle of the night after a long d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter