Chapter 8

Till We Meet Again

Heavy snowfall befell Vancouver over the next few days. The bustling city looked like it was covered in a white blanket. However, ski training took place as per normal. The team was gathered in the stadium arena for their physical fitness and strengthening training programme. It was Wednesday, the third day of the training and the athletes were feeling the crunch on their bodies. But Coach Kang was already prepared and had specially arranged physiotherapy sessions to take place later in the afternoon.

Each athlete had an individualised training plan for the morning. Coach had asked Liam to focus on strengthening his back muscles and posture by doing back extensions and dumb bell rows. Nathan had to build up his stamina and thigh muscles. Coach suggested that Olivia and Emma train together so that they can help each other to improve their stamina and work out their core muscles since they both lacked height when doing jumps on the slopes. As for So Eun, he came up with a training plan that focused on her arms. During their training on the mountains last week, he realised that she was being too cautious with her arm and it restricted her agility during her ski run down the slopes. He knew it had to do with her last accident but she needs to be more confident in order to reach her full potential. There will be an upcoming ski meet in late January in Korea and he wanted to sign her up but they have yet to discuss about it.

 

*******


“How is it? Do you feel any pain anywhere?” the physiotherapist asked So Eun as she gently twisted her right arm.

“Umm, it’s okay I guess. It’s just a little painful when you do it too hard or when I exert too much force on my arm,” she replied.

“Oh, but there’s a slight bruise here on your upper arm. What happened?” she tapped lightly on the bruised area to show So Eun.

“Really? I hadn’t noticed. I must have carelessly bumped into something,” So Eun answered, rather surprised. Her thoughts drifted as she thought about how it could have happened. Hmm, was it the incident during ice skating with Soo Hyuk? Ah, it probably was. I wonder how he’s doing. The last I saw of him was his downcast expression when we returned from our ‘date’. Haven’t heard from him since then. Hope he’s fine.

So Eun unknowingly furrowed her eyebrows.

The physiotherapist noticed this and said, “Well Sunny, just remember that an athlete’s body is very precious. Your body’s your most valuable asset. I don’t want Coach Kang to run after me saying I didn’t take care of you. So you better take care of yourself, darling. He puts a lot of hopes on you.”

“Yes I know,” So Eun nodded and heaved a sigh.

She slowly lay on the yoga mat while the physiotherapist massaged her arms and legs, resting her head on a soft pillow. The relaxing massage made her fall into a brief slumber before she got awaken by Coach Kang’s voice.

“So Eun-ah. So Eun. Wake up,” Coach’s voice echoed.

So Eun’s body jerked and she immediately sat up, but the initial shock sent a sharp cramp to her calf muscle.

“Aaa…rghh….” she groaned, pressing her fingers on her calf.

The physiotherapist laughed at her reaction but collected herself when she saw Coach Kang’s serious expression. She excused herself and went to check on the other athletes.

Coach softened his look.

“So Eun, I have something to discuss with you.”

“What is it about?” she asked, still massaging her calf.

“I’ve watched you train over these two weeks and I think you’re ready to get back on track. I’m going to sign you up for the friendly ski meet in Gwangju next month.”

“WHAT?!”

“Yes. Do you need me to repeat myself?” Coach asserted.

“Err no, Coach. But….but I…I don’t think I’m ready yet…. I mean, it’s only been three months since I restarted ski training with my new coach in Korea. And I flew here so I could see you and train with you because to me you’re still the best coach. I’ve only gotten to train with you for two weeks, no, even less than that,” she admitted.

“I know, but I can see your potential. You’re a good athlete, but you need to overcome your fear. Accidents happen. One day you may fall, but you need to be able to pick yourself up and get back even stronger. That’s the difference between a GOOD athlete and a GREAT athlete. I believe in you, So Eun,” he encouraged.

“But I…,” she sighed.

Coach is right. If I don’t challenge myself now, I don’t know if I’ll ever be brave enough to compete again. If he believes in me, there’s no reason not to believe in myself.

Her gaze landed on her right arm that was broken before. Coach Kang patted her arm.

“It’s going to be fine. You have to believe in yourself,” he smiled.

She looked up and met his eyes. “Okay Coach. I’ll try my best. Sign me up for the competition.”

He nodded.

 

*******


“Aunty Se Ra! I’m home!” chimed So Eun as she entered the living room.

She immediately slumped her body over the armrest of the sofa, exhaustion evident in her face.

“Good to see you, dear! How was the training?” Aunty Se Ra asked, her eyes deepening in concern.

“It was great! We had physio today after all the relentless workout programme, so the therapist did a sports massage for me. Although my muscles are sore, it was still refreshing.”

“That’s nice. I’ll get the heater on so you can take a warm bath while I prepare some tea and dinner for you. I’ll call you down when it’s ready,” said Aunty Se Ra as she headed to the kitchen.

“Thanks Aunty. I’ll head upstairs then.”

She dragged her gym bag and took heavy steps to her bedroom. She had wanted to crash on her bed but she didn’t want to stain her sheets with her sweaty and sticky clothes, so she plopped herself on the rug instead.

As if on cue, her phone rang.

“Hello……who is it?” So Eun mumbled without looking at the caller ID.

“Only one and a half weeks in Canada and you forgot about my existence already? Tsk. Ah, did you hear that?”

“Oh, it’s you Ha Neul! Hear what?”

“The sound of my heart breaking,” he quipped.

His joke made her giggle. “I’m sorry. Come here, let me patch it back up. But you know I always have you in my heart right?” So Eun retorted.

“Yeah right. You didn’t even ask me about the herbal drinks and tablets. But being the good boy I am, I downed every drop of the drinks and ate my meds properly. Of course, it’s thanks to your mum’s nagging. I swear she’s exactly like you. No wonder you nag so much too,” he joked.

“Hey! I’m going to tell Omma what you said. Be prepared to hear more of her. She's going to haunt you in your sleep,” she laughed and added, “I was going to check on you the other day, but because of the time difference, I couldn’t find a suitable time to call you while I was free. But I always think about you. In fact, I was going to call you tonight after dinner.”

Ha Neul blushed and a small smile crept up his lips. So she was thinking of me. “Fine, I forgive you. When are you coming back?”

So Eun tried to recall her flight details. “Hmm my flight’s late on Sunday. So I’ll arrive in Seoul around midnight or 1 a.m. on Tuesday.”

“Woah, that’s another long flight home. How have you been?”

“Great. Coach said I should join the ski meet in Gwangju next month! I’m really nervous but he says I’m ready. I’m not sure if I am,” she confessed.

“You can do it, Eun-ah. I know you can! Tell me the date when it’s confirmed. I’ll fit you in my schedule!”

“It’s okay Ha Neul. I know you’re busy with your movie shoot. I’ll talk about it more when I see you back home okay. I need to take a shower now. Take care of yourself, or I’ll get Appa to station a nurse at your house,” So Eun jested.

“No, you take care. I don’t need a nurse nagging at me; you and your mum are enough. Besides, the only nurse I'll ever need is you..." he paused, embarrassed at his words but quickly added, "...bye Eun-ah, see you when you get back here!” Ha Neul ended the call first before giving a virtual kiss over the receiver. I miss you.

 

*******

Dup.
Dup.
Dup.

Alex tapped his foot anxiously on the ground, unconsciously tapping to the rhythm of his rapid heartbeat. His eyes were fixed on the pale figure that lay on the hospital bed. The white sheets made his face appear paler than it already was.

“Come on, Hyuk.  Wake up. It’s been almost half a day,” he whispered.

Soo Hyuk’s body lay still on the bed. The rise and fall of his chest was the only indication that he was breathing. Alex began to recall how unusual Soo Hyuk had been when he returned to the restaurant after the weekend.

He looked faint, like he had not gotten much sleep. The dark circles under his eyes were more apparent on his pale face and he had been strangely quiet. Alex and the rest of the crew had noticed their head chef’s behaviour over the few days and although they were usually scared of his authoritative voice when he was in his chef-mode, his silence was even more terrifying. Right after he had prepared for lunch service earlier today, Soo Hyuk passed out in the kitchen, leaving the whole crew startled. As the assistant chef, Alex tried to calm the crew down and gave instructions in place of the head chef before rushing him to the hospital.

Alex had been a close friend of Soo Hyuk since their university days in Canada. He was the first friend Soo Hyuk had made when he came here and thanks to their passion in culinary, they had been in close contact ever since.

What happened to you, man? Argh I’d better inform your grandfather before he finds out on his own and throws a fit. Alex tapped the side railing of the bed as he looked at the monitor to make sure Soo Hyuk’s vitals were okay. He left the room to make a quick phone call. When he returned, he spotted a bracelet with a star charm loosely hanging around Soo Hyuk's wrist. He hadn't noticed it before but it had caught his eye when it glistened under the light, much like a star in the night sky. Alex was about to graze his fingers on the bracelet when he noticed Soo Hyuk’s fingers begin to stir. He inched closer and broke into a smile when the unconscious figure finally opened his eyes.

“Omg Hyuk! Are you awake?! Oh man, you gave me a scare back there!” he exclaimed, feeling both flustered and relieved.

Soo Hyuk did not respond and stared blankly at Alex.

“Whh…ee…rrree am… I…?” he tried his best to speak but the words barely spilled out.

“You’re in the hospital, Hyuk. It’s alright, get some rest first. I’ll call the nurse to check on you.”

When the nurse came in, she informed Alex that Soo Hyuk’s vital signs were still rather weak and his blood pressure was low. He would need to stay another day or two at the hospital to finish his drips and for them to monitor his condition.

“Are you the guardian? I need you to fill in some of his details,” the nurse asked Alex.

“No, I’m his friend. I’ve already contacted his grandfather. He said he’ll be coming later.”

“Okay. Please inform me when he’s here. The doctor needs to speak to him too.”

Alex nodded. A strange chill ran through his body when he heard the nurse speak. He could sense that there was something serious going on with his friend but he wasn’t sure what it was. He felt a certain heaviness begin to engulf his heart and he clenched his fist tight to fight the bitterness. He sighed. What kind of a friend am I?

 

A/N: Sorry for the delay, guys. Had some family matters come up recently so I got a little bit busy. Promise I'll try to include more SooSo moments in the coming chapters. Thanks for subscribing and commenting! God bless~