Chapter 18

Till We Meet Again

Side note: When I first started writing this fic, I didn’t think I’d have over 50 subscribers, especially since I didn’t put the settings as private. Tbh, I didn’t even think I would make it past 10 chapters. So I’m taking a moment to say thank you to all of you who are reading this – I know I’m lacking, but I’ll try my best to churn out quality content for y’all okay, so you can look forward to the coming chapters. Cheers! :)

 

*******

Late March in South Korea meant that the lush white snow was slowly melting away to make room for the buds to bloom. But this year, the climate seemed a little different. Instead of the warmer breeze, wafts of cold wind still lingered through the morning mist; at night, the chilly draft would sneakily find their way through to leave a tingle in your bones. It didn’t help that Coach Han had rescheduled the ski trainings to the evening to avoid the midday crowd. The Korean ski team was still at the peak of their training period, as their competition in Canada was slated to begin in less than two weeks.

Most of the mountain resorts had closed during this period due to the thinning snow, but the Phoenix Park mountain resort in Pyeongchang still offered a decent amount of snow on their terrains. Although some of the snow had turned mushy, the slopes were good enough for them to continue with ski training. As the athletes trudged down the mountains, So Eun brushed away the white slush that covered her two feet. Her toes and fingers were becoming numb thanks to the fierce winds. Coach Han led the way into the cafeteria where he had ordered dinner for them.

“Great job today guys! As a reward, I’ve catered a great and filling dinner for everyone,” he happily announced. “Also, please remember that all of you are professional athletes and the competition starts in two weeks. Seriously, some of the junk that I’ve caught some of you eating is ridiculous! After this, have a good rest and I’ll see you guys here tomorrow at the same time.”

The athletes groaned listening to his speech. They already knew what kind of great and filling dinner was in store for them. As the food packs got distributed down the row, the groans became louder. On their plates were a palm-sized salmon fillet on a bed of spinach and watercress salad, with some brown rice at the side. There was also a bowl of cabbage soup served. At first glance the food looked decent, but Coach always asked for less salt and gravy, so everything tasted rather bland. However, the famished athletes had to replenish their energy anyway, so they obediently devoured their food.

So Eun was in the middle of cutting her salmon into small bite sized pieces so that she wouldn’t be able to taste the bitterness, when she felt her phone buzzing in her pocket. Her lips pulled into a smile seeing Soo Hyuk’s name appear on the screen.

“Hello, Oppa?” she whispered into the receiver so as not to catch Coach’s attention.

“Eun-ah! Are you having dinner now?” his deep voice echoed.

“Yeah, I’m having dinner with the others. Coach ordered food for us,” she unconsciously grumbled.

She heard a laugh escape from the other side. “Aww you poor little thing. Anyway, you should go up to level 5 where there’s an outdoor seating at the rooftop terrace. There’s a great view from there!”

“Huh what are you saying? I’m on the same table as Coach, I can’t just ---” she reasoned, but was cut off by her boyfriend.

“Come on, it’ll be such a waste to miss the view,” he persuaded. “Besides…I’m waiting for you, Eun-ah.” He ended the call before she could argue.

“But Oppa! she hissed, but the beeping tone already came on. She noticed the Coach throwing a questioning glance towards her and she bowed her head to hide her flushed cheeks. Wait, does he mean that he’s here? Aish what is he thinking?

“Um Coach, it’s a bit stuffy in here, so I’m going to go out for some fresh air,” she fibbed, her eyes shifting nervously.

Coach Han raised an eyebrow, but he nodded anyway. “Sure, but don’t catch a cold. Are you feeling okay? Do you need anyone to accompany you?”

“No, no. I’m good,” So Eun assured him with a sheepish grin before she discreetly headed towards the rooftop terrace.

When she reached the terrace, she was greeted by a spectacular view of the city from the top of the mountains. But it was the sight of her boyfriend playing with a child that caught her attention. They seemed to be in a world of their own, giggling over the smallest things. Whenever Soo Hyuk made a funny face, the little boy would shyly reciprocate with a toothy grin.

Hyung, is that your girlfriend?” the boy pointed behind Soo Hyuk when he noticed her figure coming towards them. Soo Hyuk nodded. The little boy ran towards the lady and presented her with a gift wrapped in an orange furoshiki (Japanese wrapping cloth).

Annyeonghasaeyo, beautiful noona! This is a gift for you, but hyung said that I can only give it to you if you give him a peck on the cheek first,” he greeted her with a shy smile showing his dimples. His speech was rather robotic, like he was reciting a rehearsed script.

So Eun smiled back at the adorable boy then rolled her eyes towards Soo Hyuk at his silly request. She kneeled to meet the boy’s eye level. “You can tell the hyung to take this gift back if he’s not going to pass it to me himself,” she whispered to the boy’s ear and gave him a light hug and kiss on the cheek. The little boy turned red and raced back to Soo Hyuk’s table to return the gift before he went back to his parents’ table.

Embarrassed, the chef lowered the shades from the top of his head over his eyes before he stood up and walked towards his girlfriend. His hand reached out for hers. Their fingers naturally entwined with each other’s, but the girl gave him a light smack with her other hand.

Yah, what was that about?” she laughed.

Soo Hyuk gave a pout and made a cute face. “I just miss my girlfriend. And I’m jealous that you gave him a hug and a kiss while I only got a hit from you.”

So Eun shook her head at Soo Hyuk’s sudden aegyo attack and proceeded to give him a light peck on his lips. In response, he pulled her into a tight embrace, filling each other with heat of their bodies in the cold breezy night. “I’ve missed you,” he whispered.

After they settled into a quiet spot, So Eun unwrapped the orange furoshiki which revealed a neatly packed bento. Soo Hyuk had prepared baked mackerel with a butter lemon sauce glaze, with asparagus and mashed cauliflower on the side. The tangy lemon scent was like a breath of fresh air. “Thank you for the food!” the lady exclaimed. Soo Hyuk watched as his girlfriend excitedly ate her dinner. This is why I love my job, he thought as he took a bite off his own portion. The two had not met each other in almost two weeks due to their busy schedules, so they had a lot to catch up on. So Eun ranted about her ski training while Soo Hyuk shared stories about his cooking episodes.

“If Coach catches me here with you, I’m so dead. He clearly warned: ‘No dating during training hours’,” So Eun jested.

“Well, technically you’re not training now, so it’s not within training hours,” Soo Hyuk winked. “Even if anything happens, I’ll take the blame for it, don’t worry.”

“How’s your grandpa?”

“He’s doing much better these days, though he’s still coughing. You know, he keeps asking me when he’ll get to see you. He’s just so excited to meet you,” Soo Hyuk recalled.

“I’d love to meet him too, but I’m a little busy with my training schedule at the moment. Once it all clears up, I’ll be sure to pay him a visit with you.”

Suddenly, Soo Hyuk remembered the dinner invitation from So Eun’s mother. Should I tell her? Or should I keep it a surprise?

“Um, Eun-ah, are you doing anything on Friday night?” Soo Hyuk asked to test the waters.

“I have my final training in the evening because I’m flying off to Canada on Sunday, remember? Didn’t I tell you the other time? Also, Omma told me to come home for dinner because she invited some guests. Something about a reunion with a boy she met in Busan. Not sure what that’s about, but she sounded emotional when she told me about it on the phone, so I knew I couldn’t say no,” she explained. “Did you make plans for us that night? Sorry Oppa.”

Oh right, I can’t believe I forgot that she’s flying off on Sunday. Argh, I better jot that down in my notebook, he frowned. “Ah no. I was just asking because I thought I wanted to spend some time with you before you fly off…” Soo Hyuk felt a little guilty for not telling her the truth but he wasn’t sure how to bring up the topic. Besides, he didn’t want to disrupt the atmosphere.

“Spending time with you like this is so nice,” So Eun confessed as she linked her arm with his and placed her head against his shoulder. “I’m going to miss you.”

Soo Hyuk smiled at her and placed a deep kiss on her forehead. “Me too. I appreciate every moment with you.” He paused to take in her features and retrace them in his mind. A heavy sigh escaped his lips. “And I hope I’ll never lose these memories of you,” he murmured under his breath, half hoping that So Eun didn’t hear him.

But the petite girl picked up on his fear. “Don’t worry, Oppa. Like I said before, I’ll help you remember. We’ll get through this together.” She pulled his arm tighter.

 

*******

- at the Seoul University Hospital -

“Dr Choi, you’re not taking the night shift today?” asked the nurse who was doing her rounds.

“No, dear. I’ve switched it to tomorrow night because I have a special family dinner today. I’m leaving work at 2,” she smiled.

“Ahh, does that mean you’re getting a son-in-law soon? Kang Ha Neul-sshi?” exclaimed the nurse excitedly.

Dr Choi shook her head at the nurse’s speculation. “No, nothing like that.”

“He hasn’t visited the hospital lately. He must be busy.” The nurse frowned. “Oh, by the way, Dr Choi, you seemed really close to this elderly patient the other day. You know, the one who came with his incredibly good-looking grandson? Who was that?”

Dr Choi laughed. “Our dear Min Ah, you sure do have a sharp eye for attractive men, don’t you? I knew them from an incident a couple of years back. They’re the family members of a case I took on before.”

“Oh, I see. Lucky you, Dr Choi, to have a string of handsome young men lingering around you – all thanks to your pretty daughter.”

“No, it’s not like that, this young man hasn’t even met my daughter yet.”

“Wah, so I stand a chance?! If you’re not keen to take him as your son-in-law, would you please introduce me to the grandson if they come by the next time? He’s such a good catch and my mother has been pestering me to get married!” she joked.

“We’ll see about that okay? Now, let’s get back to work. I have some patients to check on,” Dr Choi said before shuffling into the nearby ward.

As soon as the clock struck 2, Dr Choi went to wash up and change out of her white coat. Her husband would only knock off during the later shift, but she needed to shop for some groceries before heading home. Hosting guests was nothing new to her, but she could not help feeling a little nervous for the dinner tonight. Is it because he’s a chef, or is it because I feel guilty about not caring for him more? I don’t know.

Driver Shin glanced at the rear-view mirror to see Dr Choi staring into space. He could sense the worry in her eyes. “Madam Choi, are you okay? You don’t look too well.” The driver’s voice broke the silence in the car.

“Ji Seok, do you still remember how I lost my baby in a car accident a couple of years ago?”

“Of course, Madam. There was a drunk motorist who ran straight into our car from the back. I’m sorry I couldn’t avoid it,” he replied miserably.

“It wasn’t your fault, Ji Seok. But you know during that time, I was supposed to have a baby boy. I was so devastated over my loss yet I still reported to work the next month just so I could keep my thoughts busy.”

“Hmm, yes I remember that.”

“On the last few days before I transferred to Seoul, miraculously I was assigned to a car accident case – and the survivor was this boy with his mother. Seeing that boy was like the remedy to my broken heart. He taught me that while I was suffering, there were others who were in a more dire plight than I was. He brought me back to my senses. But most of all, during that few days, he allowed me to shower him with the love that I had bottled up after my loss. I wished I had cared for him more back then and till recently, I harboured that regret because I didn’t get to find out where he lived after they shifted. But guess what? We met again last week.” She swallowed a lump down .

Driver Shin became curious. “So what happened then?”

“We’re having dinner tonight with him and his grandfather. That’s why I’m feeling all sorts of emotions fluttering in my heart.”

“Ah really?! He must have grown up a lot by now.”

“Yes, he has. And he grew up rather fine, fortunately.”

“Then there’s nothing to be worried about, Madam. I’m sure the dinner will be okay. It’ll be like a much-awaited reunion dinner,” he assured her.

Dr Choi nodded in silence.

*******

So Eun’s mother was in the middle of cooking her fourth dish, with another pot of seaweed soup on the stove. Her husband had just arrived at home to the sight of a spread on the dinner table. The spicy smell of kimchi stew filled the dining room and aroused his appetite. It had been a while since his wife had put in so much effort in preparing dinner.

“Ah, this guest must be really special. You’re making me feel jealous, yeobo,” Papa Kim joked.

“I’m cooking more because So Eun’s coming home tonight too. Besides, our guest is a chef, so I have to at least serve flavoursome dishes, else I’d be embarrassed,” she explained.

“Don’t worry, yeobo. You’re a wonderful cook. I’m sure they’ll be pleased.”

“I hope so,” her voice was filled with worry.

Papa Kim walked over to his wife and squeezed her arm in reassurance. “I know how you feel about this, yeobo. That baby was never meant to be ours; but God loves you so he replaced that little one with the presence of another boy with the same plight. We couldn’t help him back then, but we’ll help him all we can now. You said he has some psychological problems?”

“That’s what his Grandpa mentioned. I don’t know how severe it is. I hope it’s not too bad. He deserves better.”

“I guess we’ll only find out when we meet later. Let’s not be sad. This is supposed to be a happy occasion,” he smiled and pinched his wife’s cheek to lighten the mood. Mama Kim smiled back at her supportive husband.

Soon after, the doorbell rang. Soo Hyuk and Grandpa Lee were waiting outside the gates with a basket packed with bottled soy sauce and herbal drinks. The chef donned a crisp navy blue shirt with a pair of fitted grey pants that accentuated his tall, slender body while Grandpa Lee looked cute wearing a bowtie with his top. Papa Kim greeted them at the door and amicably invited them to take a seat in the living room. He was pleased to see the young chef again.

Annyeonghasaeyo, Dr Kim. We’ve brought this from home – Grandpa’s very own soy sauce products and some herbal drinks. I would have brought some wine but Grandpa and I don’t take alcohol very well,” he greeted So Eun’s father. Grandpa Lee also gave his greetings.

Annyeonghasaeyo. No worries, I completely understand. You’re right, you should keep your Grandpa from drinking especially with his condition. Also, you don’t have to call me Dr Kim. Just call me Uncle, he smiled.

“Yes, Uncle.” He tried to mask his nervousness, since it felt like an unofficial meeting with his potential in-laws. “Where’s Dr Choi?” he asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

“My wife’s still preparing some things in the kitchen. I think she’s got way too many things in hand because she got excited about hosting you two tonight,” he joked.

“Oh really?” Soo Hyuk smiled. “Do you mind if I head to the kitchen to give her my greetings? Who knows she might also need an extra helping hand,” he offered.

“Sure, go ahead. Just go straight down this hallway and turn left.”

Soo Hyuk stood up and excused himself, carefully following his instructions. When he reached the kitchen, he noticed a puff of steam escaping the pot on the stove while Dr Choi was busy cutting some egg rolls. The young man coughed to announce his presence. “Mind if I offer some help, Doctor?”

Mama Kim jumped upon hearing the sudden deep voice but broke into a grin when she saw Soo Hyuk at the entrance. “Come in, Soo Hyuk… and you can just call me Aunty, dear.”

Soo Hyuk nodded. He hurried over to the pot of seaweed soup and lowered the heat to a simmer. “By the way, Aunty, we should probably take the seaweed out first so it doesn’t overcook,” he suggested.

“Ah, you’re right. I completely forgot. Would you help me out with that? And you can help me add the seasonings as well. I’m doing too many things at once, I can’t keep track,” she laughed in embarrassment. “Aigoo I can’t believe I’m making my guest do work.”

“It’s my pleasure, Aunty.” The suave chef found a dish on the counter and delicately strained the seaweed from the soup. After tasting the soup, he added some salt, sesame oil and soy sauce. Mama Kim watched the young man and her heart filled with warmth. If my baby boy was still here now, would he have grown up like this?

“Do you think this is okay?” Soo Hyuk asked as he directed a spoon of the hot soup towards her. He gently blew on the soup and fed the lady, like it was a natural thing to do.

Mama Kim delightfully tasted it and her eyes widened when the smooth flavour smothered her tongue. “Mmmm, it tastes even better than the last time I made it!” she exclaimed.

The chef smiled in return. Anyone who watched them would think that the two of them were a mother-son pair with their affectionate gestures. “Let’s get ready to serve then! I’m sure everyone’s already waiting outside.”

Soo Hyuk helped Mama Kim lay the remaining dishes on the table before the latter called her husband and Grandpa Lee over. Papa Kim led a short prayer before he invited everyone to eat. “Thank you for the food, let’s dig in!”

Grandpa Lee and Papa Kim continued their conversation from where they left off in the living room and it turned out that they both enjoyed watching baseball games. Papa Kim also occasionally asked him and Soo Hyuk about their experiences living in a different country. Soo Hyuk politely entertained the hosts with interesting accounts of their life in Canada, and the kind of customers that he had encountered before. Everyone kept their attention on the charismatic gentleman as he told his stories. While recounting them, memories of meeting So Eun also floated in his mind, but he was a little unsure on how to mention her. How do I reveal it to them? And where’s So Eun? Will she be delighted to see me with her parents? His eyes kept glancing on his watch.

Mama Kim noticed his uneasiness. “Do you have somewhere to go, Soo Hyuk?”

“No, of course not, Aunty.” He tried to speak calmly while clenching his fist. His palm was damp with beads of perspiration.

Mama Kim smiled. “Ahh, you have a girlfriend, don’t you?”

Soo Hyuk’s body jerked at her sudden question while Grandpa Lee and Papa Kim chuckled seeing his ears turn red. The chef scratched his head in embarrassment. “I uh…actually your daughter… I mean your daughter and I….we umm….” he paused in an awkward silence, trying to find the right words to say.

So Eun’s parents and Grandpa Lee looked at him confused. This side of him stuttering for words was unlike the captivating persona he showed moments ago. What was he trying to say? Thankfully, the sudden clicking sound of the digital door lock filled the stillness in the dining room and diverted everyone’s attention. “I’m home!” came a familiar cheerful voice.

The two pairs of shoes in the entryway indicated that the guests had already arrived. With careful steps, So Eun approached the dining area to give her greetings. Her training session had ended a little later than usual, so she had to rush to wash up and change before heading home. She had packed a dark blue pullover with a white skirt that would not wrinkle in her gym bag, and slipped them on after her shower. As there was no time to fully dry her hair, she tied her slightly damp hair into the neatest bun she could manage. From the entrance, she could hear some faint laughter in the background but there was also a strange air of awkwardness. Did I arrive at the wrong time?

She smiled when she saw caught sight of her parents and an elderly man who was seated adjacent to them. There was another man sitting directly opposite them, but his back was facing her, so she couldn’t tell who it was. Her steps quickened towards the empty chair beside him and she bowed to greet the guests. “Annyeonghasaeyo, I’m So Eun. Nice to meet you. I apologise for being late, but I hope I didn’t interrupt the dinner,” she fixed her eyes on the elderly guest who looked towards her with a kind expression. She then shyly turned her head to greet the other person next to her. When his charming grey eyes met hers, a small gasp escaped her lips.

Oppa?! What are you doing here?”

Everyone at the dinner table stared at the two of them upon seeing the girl’s unexpected reaction. So Eun’s hand instinctively cupped her lips with her hands when she realised she might have sounded rude. But seriously, why is my boyfriend having dinner with my parents without me knowing? A string of thoughts whirled in her head, and she felt her cheeks heating up. She was partly embarrassed but a larger part of her felt angry and disappointed. It almost felt like she caught her boyfriend cheating on her. What is going on?

 

*******

Oppa, we need to talk.”

After getting dragged from the dinner table into the kitchen, Soo Hyuk had lost all his senses. He knew he had made a mistake. He had expected a more cordial welcome, but it seemed like things had taken a turn for the worst.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were the one coming for dinner? I didn’t even know you and Omma are close,” she gave him the side-eye.

“Eun-ah, it’s not what you think. I also just found out that I’ve met your mum before – eight years ago, at the Busan hospital.” He was clearly avoiding her glare.

So Eun frowned and rolled her eyes. “But still! You could have mentioned that Omma invited you to dinner when we met two days ago. Now I feel like a total fool in front of everyone.”

Soo Hyuk’s breathing became heavier as his head started to spin. “I thought…I’d keep it a surprise. I didn’t know how to bring it up that day....and I didn’t want to spoil the merry mood with my sob story about the accident again.” He steadied his arm on the countertop.

“This is serious, Oppa! I’m meeting your grandpa for the first time; even if it’s not your first time meeting my parents. This is not something to be keeping from me – it’s not fair! I wanted to prepare something before meeting your grandpa….but now, we’re all suddenly here at the same table. Well, if you had wanted to surprise me, then congratulations, I am in complete shock. Not the good kind of shock, if you haven’t realised.” Her tone was sarcastic. “I can’t believe this,” she sighed.

“I’m sorry, So Eun.” His voice trembled. The anxiety was making his chest hurt.

“Saying sorry doesn’t cut it. I’m just so disappointed in you. I thought we promised not to keep anything from each other? Don’t you trust me enough to share important things with me?”

“Why are you taking this so seriously? It’s no big deal. We’re all having a nice dinner together right? Isn’t this what we wanted?” He couldn’t understand why she had to bring up the topic about trust. He hated talking about that. No, he feared it.

Oppa, I don’t think you understand. I’m upset that you didn’t tell me about your history with Omma. I’m disappointed that I didn’t even know she was the one who treated your grandpa at the hospital recently. But I’m really mad that you didn’t tell me clearly about today’s important meeting beforehand! What was all that talk about you trusting me then, when you clearly don’t? You need to stop drowning in your own struggles and try to think of how I am also struggling to understand you!” she cried.

“Trust? How do I trust anyone when I don’t even trust myself?” Soo Hyuk countered. He felt his head getting lighter. He reached for the jug to pour himself a glass of water. “When I learn to trust myself, then I’ll learn to trust you.”

“You’re so selfish, Oppa. I know you have issues with yourself, but the world doesn’t revolve around you!” she blurted out those words out of spite. So Eun turned her back against him as a tear rolled down her cheek. She knew she regretted saying it.

Soo Hyuk took a sip of water. “So…is that what you think of me?”

No, Oppa. I don’t mean it. But anguish had engulfed her other senses. She remained silent.

He let out a snigger. “You’re right. I’m a mental nutcase who is in too deep in his own world to care about what other people think – even his girlfriend.” He took another sip of water. As the plain fluid ran down his throat, he felt strangely intoxicated. “Maybe we should take a break from each other,” he spoke in a soft voice. His long fingers gripped the countertop tighter to keep himself from stumbling, but it was his other hand that gave way. The glass he held fell to the floor with a sharp clink and shattered into a hundred glittering fragments, as if mocking their situation.

So Eun rubbed another tear from her cheeks. “Maybe, we should.”

Mama Kim came rushing to the door with a worried look when she heard the loud sound of glass breaking, but she could not make anything of the situation. Soo Hyuk held his heavy forehead and gave the mother a small bow before he dragged his feet out of kitchen. One of the glass shards pierced his foot but he just quietly grit his teeth. The stinging pain was nothing compared to the torment he felt in his heart.

“Don’t bother sending me off on Sunday,” So Eun mumbled as she tried to hold back the waterworks that threatened to burst.

 

*******

A/N: In case anyone is confused, Dr Choi and Mama Kim is the same person (aka So Eun’s mother). I use “Dr Choi” when she is in the hospital setting and “Mama Kim” when she is at home. Why not “Mama Choi” you may ask? Because I think that it kind of comes in a pair - like Mr and Mrs Kim (using the husband’s surname); thus it’s Papa and Mama Kim. (Am I making sense?) 

Anyway, sorry everyone for the long disappearance. I actually finished most of this chapter early on, but my laptop broke down 2 months back so I lost everything in it (my school stuff included) since I didn’t have a backup :( so I kind of got stuck and took some time to reformulate my thoughts on the story. Yes I know I’m a slowpoke. Also, did anyone watch So Eun’s latest drama “That Man Oh Soo/Evergreen”? After that drama ended I wanted to go on a long rant about how they underutilised the promising plot they laid out in the beginning but didn’t find a place to do so lol. Don’t get me wrong; So Eun and Lee Jong Hyun were all kinds of cute and I LOVED them, but the story didn’t do them any justice. I really wanted this drama to do well because So Eun is my long-time girlcrush, but unfortunately the plot just didn’t cut it for me. Nonetheless, glad to know that the actors seemed to enjoy their filming. I hope So Eun gets casted for a chic, badass role next time - something like her “Hye Ryung” character from TSWWTN because I think that was one of the best characters she had played so far despite her limited screen time. She definitely slayyyed in that drama and stole the spotlight, in my opinion. Ok that’s the end of my rant, though I don’t think anyone will bother to read this ----- peace out 😉