Chapter 12

Till We Meet Again

 

“Congrats on making it to the finals! I'm glad I managed to reach in time to watch your race live. You were super cool, almost too cool,” Soo Hyuk confessed.

So Eun’s cheeks turned pink. “Thank you. But you didn’t tell me you were coming. I thought you said you had urgent matters to take care of regarding your restaurant in Canada?”

“Yes I do, but not in Canada. I’ve got some meetings with some of my partners here. If I had told you, then it wouldn’t be a surprise, right?” he winked.

So Eun furrowed her eyebrows. Soo Hyuk continued, “…and I wouldn’t have found out that you miss me too.”

He noticed her suddenly shifting her gaze away from his eyes. Before So Eun could deny his statement, he quickly changed the topic of conversation. His hands reached for a small lunchbox in his bag and held it out in front of her. “When do you get off? I brought dessert.” He flashed a smile.

His smile just had a way of getting straight to her heart. So Eun smiled back shyly.

“Coach already dismissed us for today so that we can get some rest for tomorrow’s final race, but he wants everyone to be back at the dorm by 8 p.m. because he’ll give a short debrief later.”

“Ahh alright, so do you have an appointment with someone else now?” he asked, hoping she’d say no.

“Actually, yeah I do…” So Eun was sure she heard him release a sigh. “I’ve an appointment…with you,” she quipped.

“Huh?” He was caught off guard. Aish, this girl really knows how to play with my heart. Soo Hyuk laughed. “You mean it, right? It’s a date then. Let’s go!” He held his arm out for her to take and she comfortably linked her arm in his.

After a short drive, the two of them arrived at Jatgogae, the gateway to Mudeung mountain in Gwangju. It was more than 200 metres above sea level, so they got a good view of the city skyline. Although the black sky has draped over the city, the floating lights and neon signs looked like twinkling stars illuminating night sky. They sat down at an empty pavilion and took in the spectacular view before them.

“It’s so beautiful,” So Eun said, her eyes fixed on the scenery.

“Indeed. Just like the person I’m with right now.”

Soo Hyuk earned a light hit on the arm for his cheesy line. So Eun chuckled while shaking her head and passed him a takeaway cup of coffee which they bought earlier. While munching on the chocolate muffin from the lunchbox, she asked, “Mmmm did you really bake this? It’s delicious!”

He looked pleased. “It is? That’s great, because I have to admit I’m not much of a baker. I love cooking dishes more than baking.”

“Really? Then you’ll have to learn from me! Everyone says I’m an excellent baker!”

“You’ll have to let me try some of your bakes then. I’ll give you my honest reviews as a professional chef and see if it’s true or they’re just being nice,” he joked.

As the night went, their conversation also got deeper.

“You know, on the day I left Canada, I went to the cathedral and happened to meet the pastor. I asked him about your condition, but he said I should ask you personally. So, from that breakdown you had, to the anti-depressant pills in your pocket, I’ve been wondering….is there something going on with your health? Will you tell me about it? I mean, only if you’re comfortable with that.” She gazed endearingly into his grey eyes, hoping he felt her sincerity.

The atmosphere turned silent, and the chirping of crickets suddenly sounded more distinct. Soo Hyuk felt a wall building around his heart. He wanted to tell her, but he was not sure if he was ready to face her reaction. Throughout his years of healing, many people whom he regarded dearly distanced themselves from him after they found out about his condition. They could not deal with his unpredictable moods and short temper, and it was tiring for them when he experienced his manic episodes or blackouts.

Holding back the pain from his memory, Soo Hyuk looked away from the girl he adored. “It won’t be easy to take in. Why do want to know?” His voice turned icy.

She kept her eyes on him. His serious expression made her heart feel heavy. “Because it’s important to me. You’re important to me,” she confessed, her voice trembling.

His ears perked up upon hearing her response, and he turned towards her to study her face. Her earnest eyes and sincere confession was tearing down the wall he put up, and lifting the burden he felt upon his shoulders. How her teary brown orbs dazzled under the rays of the brightly lit pavilion was making his heart flutter. At that moment, he just wanted to lean closer for a kiss but he knew better that it was not the right thing to do. Instead, he took in a deep breath and gently slid his fingers into hers.

“Thank you, So Eun. That means a lot to me. I promise, I will let you know about it soon. Not now, because I want you to concentrate on the finals of your competition.” A rosy hue returned to his pale face.

So Eun squeezed their interlaced fingers and nodded in understanding.

 

*******

 

The Korean team gathered for a light morning exercise to loosen their muscles for the final race later. Those who had fallen out of the competition also joined in the exercise to support their team mates. For the women’s category, only Woo Ri and So Eun made it to the finals. As for the men, there were six of them competing in the finals of four categories. Coach Han was pretty satisfied that 8 out of the 12-member team had qualified for the finals.

The men’s finals will commence first, and the women’s finals will take place after. The women’s slaloms category will be the last race of the day and So Eun has been trying to soothe her trembling hands since the moment she woke up. This was going to her first finals race after she returned from her hiatus of almost two years, so feeling nervous was an understatement. While she was sipping a cup of warm water during the break, she suddenly lost her grip due to her shaking fingers. The whole cup of water spilled on her shoes. Woo Ri who noticed So Eun from the corner approached her.

“Pfft. What’s wrong? Are you feeling jittery already?” she asked mockingly.

So Eun chose to ignore her.

“Today, I’ll show Coach that I’m the best female skier of the team so he can stop singing your praises. I’m warning you first, don’t be too disappointed with the results.” The haughty lady sniggered and left. So Eun looked at her trembling hands and tightened her fists. You’re not yielding without a fight. You can do this, Eun. A text message came from Ha Neul just at that time.

It read: I’ll be cheering for you from the crowd later okay, Eun-ah! Do your best! I know you’re gonna be amazing!

She smiled. He always knows the right things to say. The female athletes watched as the men’s team competed in the finals. Overall, the Korean team has clinched three gold, one silver and one bronze medal in the men’s events. It was finally time for the women to commence their race. After the ballot, it was scheduled for Woo Ri to go third and So Eun will go last. The female athletes made their way to the top of the mountains to prepare for their race. Soon, the women’s slaloms event began. The auburn-haired girl carefully observed those who went before her and took note of their timings on the leader board. Everyone was clocking in speedy timings. Hmm this is going to be a tight race, she thought. After the seventh skier, it was finally So Eun’s turn to take the starting position. At this point, Woo Ri was leading the score board with the Swiss skier in second place, just a quarter of a second behind her timing. So Eun closed her eyes and chanted a little prayer as she waited for the cue.

“On your marks, get set…..BANG!”

Off she went down the slopes. So Eun could feel her momentum steadily building up and her skis cooperating seamlessly with her. As usual, she counted every flag they passed, pushing herself further after every turn. Finally, the finish line came into view and the cheers from the crowd became louder. The other athletes, especially Woo Ri and the Swiss skier kept their eyes peeled on her race. Her finish time determines the final standing of the event. Using up the last of her energy, So Eun drove herself forward and breezed through the finish line. Her timing flashed on the leader board and her name moved all the way up, beating both Woo Ri and the Swiss skier. She had won the gold medal!

So Eun squinted her eyes at the board to check that she wasn’t dreaming. Upon confirmation, her eyes gleamed with tears and she quickly made her way back to the holding area to wipe them away. The Korean team mates rushed to give her congratulatory hugs as soon as they saw her figure approach them, and she broke into tears from overwhelming emotions. Amidst the crowd, she spotted Woo Ri giving them a glare before she disappeared into the changing room. So Eun was sure she caught the arrogant girl rubbing her teary eyes like she was holding back tears, and in that moment, she actually felt awful for winning the race. Deep inside, she knew how much Woo Ri wanted to finish in first place.

At the medal presentation, So Eun sincerely congratulated the Swiss skier and Woo Ri, but the latter refused to even give her a smile. So Eun dismissed her reaction and focused on the supporters who were cheering for the Korean team. The shiny gold medal hung around So Eun’s neck flawlessly, like it was always meant for her. She smiled proudly at the cameras.

 

*******

 

~After the presentation~

“So Eun-ahhhh, congratulations!!!” Ha Neul came rushing over with a bouquet of purple peonies.

“Thank you Ha Neul! Aww, I can always count on you for your support!”

“Of course, I’m your loyal number one supporter,” he boasted. “So where are you heading after this?”

“Hmm, Omma texted me and said that she booked a restaurant for dinner later to celebrate my win today.”

Ha Neul grinned. He was actually the one who made all the arrangements. “That’s nice. Where is it? I’ll drive you there.”

“Sure. It’s near the city centre. Actually, you can just join us you know; you’re just like family. I’m sure Omma and Appa will be glad to see you too.”

“Hmm but I actually have another appointment later. I’ll join you guys next time, alright? Enjoy your dinner, you deserve it.” He ruffled her hair.

When they reached the restaurant, Ha Neul sent her to the door before driving off. So Eun entered the glass doors with the bouquet of peonies and searched for her parents. She found them already seated at one of the tables. When she settled down with them, they began to order So Eun’s favourite dishes as a reward for her fantastic performance. Soon, a large platter of steamed lobster with herbs, mushroom soup, stir-fried vegetables and some other side dishes were served.

“Aww who gave you those beautiful flowers?” Mama Kim asked, although she could already guess.

“They’re from Ha Neul-ie. He knows they’re my favourite,” she beamed before she continued, “Ok let’s eat, Omma. I’m so hungry!”

“Eat more, darling. You’ve gotten so skinny,” grumbled Mama Kim as she piled on some lobster meat on her daughter’s bowl of rice.

“Thanks, Omma. I really miss your cooking. I promise I’ll come and stay over with you and Appa more often!”

“Yes, you should! Your Omma had been getting lazy to cook because you seldom visit us. Poor me, I always have to eat ramyun. Now look at my bald spots,” Papa Kim jested, pointing towards his hairline.

The trio laughed. “Yes Eun-ah, please visit us more often with Ha Neul. I miss that boy too. He’s always so thoughtful. The other day he brought herbal drinks to the hospital for me and Appa. He even distributed them to the nurses. Everyone was smitten. One of the young nurses even asked me for his number but of course I didn’t tell her,” Mama Kim recalled.

Papa Kim nodded. “Yeah some of them asked for his autograph and were taking selfies with him too. That poor boy had to entertain them.”

“Well he’s a celebrity, of course they wanted to take photos with him...but if he drops by the next time, can you please keep an eye on the nurses? I’ll tell him off too,” she groaned. Her eyes were crossed. So Eun tried to dismiss the thoughts of other girls surrounding Ha Neul because it made her annoyed. She was used to having him devote all his attention on her.

Mama Kim noticed the change in her expression and giggled. She swiftly switched the topic of conversation. Towards the end of their meal, a waitress came over to serve a mini chocolate lava cake.

“Omma, did you order this?” So Eun asked.

“No, I didn’t,” Mama Kim replied. She gave a knowing look to Papa Kim and the waitress.

The waitress got the cue. “Oh, this is a complimentary cake for you, miss. Please enjoy.” She smiled.

So Eun smiled back in confusion. However, the mini cake looked delicious so she accepted it anyway. As soon as she cut through the cake, the molten chocolate centre oozed out along with a small yellow capsule. At closer inspection, she realised that she could open it and found a small note within which said: “Hope you’re enjoying yourself. Will you meet me for a bit at our favourite childhood spot? Come find me after dinner. – HN.” So Eun raised an eyebrow. Hmm, this must be Ha Neul. But what is he up to?

She looked towards her mum and dad for any clue but they just shook their heads.

“You can go ahead first, Eun-ah. Appa and I want to give our compliments to the chef because we are very impressed with the food here.”

“Okay, if you say so. Let him know that I love the food too!”

*******

 

A/N: Hmm will there be more progress between the SooSo couple or will Ha Neul cause a stir in So Eun’s feelings too?